Definitive Technology today announced the Sound Cylinder, a portable Bluetooth speaker for tablets or other mobile devices. It features a built-in side-firing subwoofer in addition to stereo speakers to provide listeners with rich, full-bodied stereo sound wherever they may go. The Sound Cylinder’s innovative clip system securely attaches the speaker to most tablets and many laptop computers.
Sound Cylinder also doubles as a table stand for an attached tablet. A built-in pivoting “kickstand” securely holds the device at an ideal angle for viewing and listening. It connects wirelessly to Bluetooth enabled devices or via an audio cable to any device with an analog audio output jack. The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 10 hours of high quality listening.
Sound Cylinder is fabricated with premium materials to achieve a level of attractive appearance, precision fit and luxury finish unusual in portable audio products. The grilles are custom perforated aluminum while the “kickstand” and clamp mechanism parts are injection-molded Magnesium alloy, a costly high-tech material that is incredibly strong yet lightweight.
The product design is the result of collaboration between world renowned Frog Design and the DEI Global Design Center, headed by Chief Design Officer Michael DiTullo. Frog Design is an innovation firm with 12 locations around the globe and more than 1,000 designers, strategists, and engineers. The DEI Global Design Center is a multi-disciplinary design studio located in the Vista, CA office of Definitive’s corporate parent, DEI Holdings.
Price and Availability
The Definitive Technology Sound Cylinder will be available February 2013 for $199.
- Convenient Bluetooth connectivity
- Enjoy high performance sound with any Bluetooth enabled mobile device
- Conveniently and securely clamps to most tablets, mini-tablets, and many laptops
- Surround Array imaging technology frees the sound from the Cylinder for lifelike sound
- A 2.1 channel bi-amplified audio system, for consistently superior music quality
- Two front-firing 32 mm midrange/high frequency drivers provide high definition clarity
- Side-firing 43 mm woofer driver, for rich, warm bass sound
- 10-hour battery life, rechargeable via micro USB
- 3.5 mm audio input jack for connection to any non-Bluetooth audio source with analog output (headphone jack)
- Rugged aluminum / magnesium alloy construction; beautiful, durable and long-lasting
- Built-in kickstand holds your tablet at the ideal angle, for fatigue-free viewing / listening
Where to Buy