Corel Launches The World’s First PDF Office Suite
Corel Adds Full Range of PDF Capabilities, Enhances Compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007, and Introduces New Tools For Web Collaboration, Note Taking and Business Intelligence
Corel Corporation (NASDAQ:CREL; TSX:CRE), a leading provider of graphics, productivity and digital media software, today released Corel WordPerfect Office X4, the latest version of the world’s leading alternative to Microsoft Office.
Available for download starting today, WordPerfect Office X4 combines all of the trusted features that WordPerfect Office is known for while breaking new ground as the world’s first PDF office suite. Offering a full range of PDF capabilities, WordPerfect Office X4 makes it easy for users to import, edit and export PDF documents – including scanned PDFs – dramatically simplifying user workflows and reducing the need for third-party PDF software.
File Format Freedom
In addition to its significant PDF enhancements, WordPerfect Office X4 now provides suite-wide compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007 files (OOXML) and Open Document Format (ODF) in WordPerfect X4. With PDF-reading software installed on more than 80% of all U.S. PCs (Source: Jupiter Research), WordPerfect Office X4 enables users to collaborate and share files more broadly and more effectively than ever before.
WordPerfect Office X4 extends WordPerfect’s legendary reputation for superior formatting power and control by introducing new Web collaboration and storage services, a new document redaction tool, a Web-connected digital notebook and an innovative new business intelligence package.
“With WordPerfect Office X4, we wanted to deliver an office suite that enables users to more effectively communicate their ideas and achieve their best results,” said Jason Larock, Director of Product Management for WordPerfect Office. “WordPerfect Office X4 builds upon the unique strengths of WordPerfect, adding more PDF capabilities, more Microsoft Office compatibility and new tools for collaboration, digital note taking and business intelligence. We believe that our latest release provides users with an office suite that responds to their real-world needs and gives them the power to do more with words, numbers, and ideas.”
“In a world often defined by conflicting standards where the user often feels neglected, Corel’s refreshing approach stands apart by focusing on responding to customer needs and helping them get quality work done faster,” said Rob Enderle, Principal Analyst for the Enderle Group. “With WordPerfect Office X4, Corel has created the most interoperable office suite in the market. This version has unique innovative capabilities that entice customers to use the new offering.”
Trusted Features, Plus Breakthroughs in PDF, Collaboration and Data Visualization
WordPerfect Office X4 – Standard Edition includes the familiar word processing, spreadsheet, slide show and email applications that have consistently distinguished Corel’s office suite: WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Presentations and WordPerfect MAIL(1). This release also features innovative additions including Corel Connector online services, WordPerfect Lightning for digital note taking and Corel Visual Intelligence SE for data visualization and business intelligence. These elements, in combination, make up a powerful suite that helps customers communicate their ideas more effectively and with greater impact.
WordPerfect Office X4 – Standard Edition includes the following new features and capabilities:
New PDF Capabilities
- New! Import PDFs – Easily convert electronically generated or scanned image-based PDF files to fully editable text, using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology
- Enhanced! Publish to PDF – Publish to PDF from within Corel WordPerfect Office X4 without the need for separate PDF-creation programs
- New! PDF Passwords – Add password protection to PDF files to easily control who can view, print, or edit PDF documents
- New! Auto-preview PDF documents – Automatically view PDF files published within WordPerfect Office X4
- New! Tagged PDF support – Make PDF documents flow smoothly on handheld devices and deliver accurate results on screen-reading devices
- New! PDF/A Support – Create PDFs for archival using ISO standard PDF/A file format
Enhanced Compatibility With Microsoft Office Files and ODF
- New! Compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007 – Easily open and view Microsoft Word 2007, Excel 2007 or PowerPoint 2007 files in WordPerfect X4, Quattro Pro X4, and Presentations X4
- New! Open and view ODF in WordPerfect X4 – Easily open and view ISO standard Open Document Format (ODF) files in WordPerfect X4
- Enhanced! Multi-format compatibility – Experience file-format freedom with support for more than 60 file types, including Microsoft Word files back to version 1.0
Corel Visual Intelligence SE (Starter Edition): Data Visualization and Business Intelligence
- New! Quickly Add Visuals to Data – Automatically convert live data from the Web or from Quattro Pro or Microsoft Excel into powerful visuals
- New! Turn Data Into Insight – Easily identify trends in data and intuitively tailor data analysis with a single click
- New! What-if analyses – Perform “What-If” analyses and share findings by quickly creating charts and slides
- New! Upgrade to more advanced versions to obtain read/write support for larger spreadsheets and data sets, database connectivity and other features
Corel Connector Online Services
- New! Online storage – Access files anywhere, share content and collaborate more effectively with 200MB of free storage and backup
- New! Online calendaring, lists, bookmarks and contacts – Build shared work spaces online and share important information with colleagues
- New! Online communications- Interact with contacts online using integrated, shareable, email
WordPerfect Lightning: A Web-Connected Digital Notebook
- New! Take notes and capture content – Save ideas in notes, store information gathered from the Web and easily organize content
- New! Turn Notes into documents – Create basic documents, add snapshots of anything on your desktop, use formatting tools to fine-tune your notes, and send content to WordPerfect or Microsoft Word
- New! File viewer – View Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, and PDF files in the Viewer
- New! Collaborate online – Store files online and work with others, by using the Corel Connector-an anywhere/anytime online collaboration environment featuring 200MB of free storage
Other enhancements include:
- New! Redaction: Save time and expense using a redaction tool integrated directly into WordPerfect X4. Easily redact legal or other documents and output them as WordPerfect, Microsoft Word or PDF files
- Enhanced! Windows Vista integration: Enjoy the power and control of WordPerfect Office X4 optimized to work with Windows Vista or Windows XP
- New! Updated content – 8,000 clipart images, 175 photos and 900 TrueType fonts
- Enhanced! Free training and documentation – Get step-by-step help for common productivity tasks in a tutorial-based guidebook, and learn even more with a free two hour lynda.com training video
Four Distinct Versions to Address Unique Customer Requirements
In North America, WordPerfect Office X4 will be available in four versions:
- WordPerfect Office X4 – Standard Edition is available starting today at an SRP (suggested retail price) of $159.99 US for the upgrade version and $299.99 US for the full version.
- WordPerfect Office X4 – Professional Edition, designed for enterprise and government customers, includes many of the features in the Standard Edition along with the relational database Paradox, the WordPerfect Office Software Development Kit (SDK) and other enterprise-class tools. The Professional Edition is available for an SRP of $259.99 US for the upgrade or $399.99 US for the full version.
- WordPerfect Office X4 – Home and Student Edition, available starting May 5, 2008, includes WordPerfect X4, Quattro Pro X4, Presentations X4, WordPerfect Lightning and Corel Visual Intelligence SE. Priced at an SRP of $119.99 US, Home and Student Edition is licensed for non-commercial and education use and may be installed on up to three PC’s in the same household.
- Corel Family Pack 2009, priced at an SRP of $89.00 US, is specifically designed to address the needs of the home PC user, combining the inviting word processing and spreadsheet experience of WordPerfect X4 and Quattro Pro X4 with the creative capabilities of Ulead VideoStudio 11 SE for video editing and Corel MediaOne for organizing and editing digital photos and videos.
About Corel Corporation
Corel is a leading developer of graphics, productivity and digital media software with more than 100 million users worldwide. The Company’s product portfolio includes some of the world’s most popular and widely recognized software brands including CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Corel Painter, Corel DESIGNER, Corel WordPerfect Office, WinZip, WinDVD and iGrafx.Designed to help people become more productive and express their creative potential, Corel’s software strives to set a higher standard for value with full-featured products that are easier to learn and use. The industry has responded with hundreds of awards recognizing Corel’s leadership in software innovation, design and value.
Corel’s products are sold in more than 75 countries through a well-established network of international resellers, retailers, original equipment manufacturers, online providers and Corel’s global websites. The Company’s headquarters are located in Ottawa, Canada with major offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Taiwan, China and Japan. Corel’s stock is traded on the NASDAQ under the symbol CREL and on the TSX under the symbol CRE. http://www.corel.com
(1) WordPerfect Office X4 – Professional Edition and selected license versions of WordPerfect Office X4 – Standard Edition do not include the consumer-oriented email application WordPerfect MAIL. Please visit http://www.wordperfect.com for details.
2008 Corel Corporation. All rights reserved. Corel, WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, WordPerfect MAIL, WordPerfect Lightning, Corel Visual Intelligence, CorelDRAW, Paint Shop Pro, Painter, Corel DESIGNER, WinZip, iGrafx, Ulead, WinDVD, and the Corel logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Corel Corporation and/or its subsidiaries. All other product names and any registered and unregistered trademarks mentioned are used for identification purposes only and remain the exclusive property of their respective owners.