Canon announced the feature-packed PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera, which replaces the ELPH 500 HS and resurrects the original ELPH's blocky design with a more contemporary and radiant look and feel. This new stylish model has a 10.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor along with a 12X Optical Zoom lens, ISO range of up to 3200 and wide-angle capabilities starting at 28mm. For photographers on the move, this camera also has Full HD 1080p video capture capabilities, a 3.0-inch LCD for easy viewing of images and High-Speed Burst mode where images are continuously captured at 6.8 frames per second.
With Advanced Smart AUTO, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS can detect up to 58 scenes varying from non-human moving subjects to people, landscapes, pets and vehicles, helping the camera determine the best mode of shooting. This technology has been enhanced to include a new Face ID feature, allowing users to register up to 12 people on the camera and have the camera recognize and prioritize each person. When registering individuals on the camera, users can take up to five images of a subject at various angles or facial expressions and enter their name and birth date. This allows the camera to make one of three age distinctions: Babies (0 to 1 year old), Children (2 to 12 years old) or Adults (13 years or older). Based on these different groups, the camera will give focus priority to the youngest recognized group in the frame and makes the images searchable as well with the ability to view only those images of a particular person.
- World's thinnest camera with a 12x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilizer and 28mm Wide-Angle lens.
- Canon's HS SYSTEM with a 10.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional low-light performance up to ISO 3200.
- Shoot beautiful 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- A 3.0-inch PureColor System LCD enables easy viewing.
- Improved Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 58 predefined shooting situations, and the new Face ID function adjusts focus and exposure priority based on pre-registered faces.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- Improved Movie Digest records a short 720p HD video clip right before shooting a photo and then combines one day's worth of clips into one video.
- New Smooth Skin and Soft Focus scene modes allow you to capture more pleasing portraits.
- High-Speed Burst Mode allows continuous shooting (6.8 fps) and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
Price and Availability
The Canon PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera will be available in black, silver, red and blue in March 2012 for $299.99.