Cambridge Audio introduced a pint-sized Digital to Analog Converter that enhances the audio output from your computer. The DacMagic XS connects to any USB port on one side, with standard headphone jack on the other. A built-in headphone amp increases the punch of your headphones, delivering 10 times more power than most laptop soundcards can manage. Even in the noisiest environments the company claims you will hear more of your music.
The DacMagic XS is smaller than a matchbox, yet it uses technology from Cambridge Audio’s high-end DACs. But it is not just for audiophiles – anything from MP3s to high resolution lossless files, streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora, Skype, games and films will all dramatically benefit. If you’ve paid for a higher quality subscription service, the DacMagic XS allows you to hear what you’re paying for.
The DacMagic XS also features a volume control, easily adjusted at the tap of a finger. A convenient LED shows current sample rate, so you always know if you’re getting the right level of detail.
At home, the DacMagic XS can also bring the same attention to detail to your existing hi-fi set-up. Use it as the link between your laptop and home hi-fi amp for serious digital audio quality, without the space implications of a larger DAC.
And finally, the sleek, sturdy black aluminium case minimizes interference and ensures the DacMagic XS is built to last.
Price and Availability
The Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS is available now for $189.
- High quality DAC – The DacMagic XS uses a high quality 24-bit Digital to Analog Converter to provide far superior sound than your computer would ever be capable of.
- More power – The built-in headphone amp puts out 150mW of serious power, for the bass and volume you need even in the noisiest environments.
- Analog volume control – Finger-tip volume control fully bypasses the soundcard and volume control of your computer. Not only does this improve sound quality, but also means no more combinations of button presses with two hands, or several mouse clicks to change volume.
- High resolution audio – Most computers can’t play high resolution audio through their headphone output. Featuring asynchronous USB audio clocking, and supporting both USB Class 1 and USB Class 2, the DacMagic XS can be used to play everything from MP3 to the highest quality 24-bit/192kHz studio master recordings from your computer, free from unwanted noise, jitter and distortion.
- USB Class 2 audio – When running in Class 2 mode, the DacMagic XS can also use Cambridge Audio’s dedicated Windows USB Class 2 USB driver (driver not required for Apple computers). This allows you to bypass the computer operating system’s poor audio path, preventing unwanted interference and re-sampling, guaranteeing a professional quality audio output.
- Versatile connections – Micro USB and 3.5mm headphone connections mean the DacMagic XS isn’t just easy to connect laptop to headphones, it can also be used to connect your laptop to your home hi-fi.
- LED sample rate indicator – Ensures that you always know you’re getting the best quality or when you’ve hit maximum/minimum volume.
- Micro USB cable included – By plugging in via a cable, the DacMagic XS avoids adding a bulky and easily-bashed lump to the side of your laptop, unlike some inferior USB DACs.
- Tiny case – The (W x H x D) 30 x 10 x 53.5mm (1.2 x 0.4 x 2.1’’) brushed aluminium case weighs a mere 100g, protects the electronics from shock or damage, and minimizes undesirable interference.