D-Link and Boxee today announced the upcoming Boxee Box by D-Link is now powered by the Intel® Atom processor CE4100. Additionally, starting today, US customers will be able to pre-order the Boxee Box by D-Link exclusively through Amazon.com for $199. Units will begin shipping in November 2010 in the US, Canada, EU and Australia.
The Boxee Box by D-Link, first released in December 2009, received critical acclaim from the industry and is highly anticipated by consumers. The product is the first media device capable of playing most popular media file formats from a home network or external hard drive along with free and premium TV shows and movies, videos, music, and photos from the Internet, with support for full 1080p high-definition (HD) and 5.1 surround sound.
“Three years ago when we started Boxee, nothing like this existed,” said Avner Ronen, CEO of Boxee. “We wanted to watch video in a way that was only available on a PC. Today we're taking a big step towards TV for an Internet generation with D-Link and Intel.”
The Boxee Box uses the Intel Atom CE4100, Intel's system-on-a-chip designed for TV and Internet integration. It provides performance, audio visual and graphic capabilities to enable Internet-driven applications, video, personal media, advanced user interfaces and electronic program guides. The new chip lets the Boxee Box deliver a wide range of applications and ensures support for 1080p content, no matter the source.
“Consumers are ready for the smart TV experience, bringing Internet-based applications and services into the living room,” said Wilfred Martis, General Manager of Retail CE, Intel Digital Home Group. “Taking advantage of the advanced performance and media capabilities of the Intel Atom CE4100, the Boxee Box by D-Link is poised to make a major impact on smart TV.”
With its powerful Intel-based hardware, an open source software platform, and tens-of-thousands of movies, shows and apps already available, the Boxee Box gives users unparalleled access to on-demand entertainment and new found control over their TV:
- TV on Your Schedule. Nearly 40,000 TV episodes available from your favorite networks, ready to watch any time you want.
- Huge Movie Library. Enjoy a vast range of free movies and new releases in stunning HD from premium movie services.
- Plays All Your Digital Stuff. Access videos, music, or pictures from your computer or home network.
- Tailored to Your Couch. Internet TV should be more than just Internet on your TV. The Boxee Box and two-faced QWERTY remote are designed to transform the Internet into something you'll love watching on your HDTV from the couch.
- See What Your Friends Are Watching. Follow what your Facebook and Twitter friends are watching, and share your favorites too.
- Give Your Wallet a Break. Why pay for stuff you don't watch? The Boxee Box lets you watch tens-of-thousands of popular TV shows and movies — you choose what you pay for!
- Try Boxee Now. Since its launch two years ago, Boxee has added well over one million users. The service is available for free and you can use it now! When you want to shift the viewing experience from your PC to your HDTV, the Boxee Box by D-Link automatically imports your account, bringing your favorite TV shows, apps, and friends with you.
“This represents long overdue innovation to the entertainment experience that D-Link will help consumers quickly deploy throughout their home network. These exciting new capabilities align closely with Intel's commitment to improving how people access and enjoy digital content on their TV,” said Brent Collins, Director of Consumer Marketing for D-Link. “We are leading a revolution that will offer tremendous new possibilities in the home.”
Pricing and Availability
The Boxee Box is expected to be available in November 2010 at an average street price of $199 in North America. Prices may vary in other regions.