Basis announced their 2nd generation watch-style fitness and sleep tracker with 24/7 heart rate monitoring called Peak. The better looking, touchscreen smartwatch uses a new sensor for improved performance and increased functionality. Basis Peak uses a multi-sensor approach, combined with Basis’ BodyIQ technology, to automatically detect walking, running, biking, sleep phases, and sleep quality. In addition, Peak monitors movement, perspiration and skin temperature. Previously, such measurements were only available with assistance of a chest strap.
Even with these sensors working 24/7, Peak maintains a battery life of up to four days, a challenge for many other wearable devices on the market today. Peak boasts water resistance to 5ATM, enough to withstand swimming, and is capable of displaying smartwatch notifications, like incoming calls and texts, from an iOS or Android phone, a feature that will be introduced in the future.
- Intelligent Activity and Sleep Tracking with BodyIQ – The intelligence built into the original Basis fitness and sleep tracking system will carry over into Peak. This includes its BodyIQ technology, with proprietary algorithms, that allows for automatic tracking of sleep and physical activities (walking, running and biking) as well as Advanced Sleep Analysis which includes REM, Deep and Light Sleep, Toss-and-Turn, Interruptions and Sleep Quality.
- Premium and Customizable Design – Peak sports a sleek design and forged aluminum body with a Gorilla Glass 3TM touch screen – water resistant to 5ATM – and soft breathable silicone straps that are customizable. Basis will initially offer Peak in two options: a matte black module with black and red-accented straps, and a brushed silver module with white and gray-accented straps. Standard 23mm watch strap attachments also allow users to customize with a band of their choice.
- Healthy Habits System – Not only will Peak continue to automatically track healthy activities, but it will award credit through the Basis healthy habits system, designed to help users incorporate small, healthy changes to their daily routines. Helping users set tangible goals like going to sleep at the same time each night or standing up from their desk once an hour during the day, the healthy habits system automatically adjusts based on a user’s progress to ensure that goals are reachable, and habits sustainable.
- Smartwatch Notifications – Peak is capable of displaying smartwatch notifications, including alerts for incoming calls and texts, from an iOS or Android smartphone. This feature will be a free future upgrade to all Peak customers, and these notification capabilities will be expanded over time. The band is also equipped with a vibration motor for such alerts.
- Optimized for Mobile – The Basis iOS and Android apps will power device set-up and display data throughout the day. In addition to basic metrics such as steps, calories, and BodyIQ fitness and sleep activities, the mobile app will display rich sleep, activity and habit insights to keep users on track.
￼Previous Basis bands, including the B1 and Carbon Steel Edition, will be supported but no longer available for purchase. User accounts and data will carry over for owners who choose to transition to ￼Peak for their tracking needs. Basis is now owned by Intel.
Price and Availability
Basis Peak will be available November 2014 for $199.99 in the U.S. and will also be available in Canada and the UK by the holidays.