AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced that it will launch iPhone 3G in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Oct. 17. iPhone 3G combines all the revolutionary features of iPhone plus 3G networking that is twice as fast1 on the nation’s fastest 3G network, built-in GPS for expanded location-based mobile services and iPhone 2.0 software which includes support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and runs thousands of third-party applications available through the Apple App Store.
AT&T is making it easy for customers to prepare for their iPhone 3G purchase by posting “Get iReady” tips and frequently asked questions at www.att.com/iphone. The site also includes a link for customers to check their upgrade eligibility and other wireless account information.
“iPhone will arrive for AT&T customers in Puerto Rico on October 17,” said Jose Juan Davila, vice president and general manager of AT&T’s wireless operations in Puerto Rico. “AT&T is committed to offering the most innovative products and services to our customers, and we are pleased to be part of this great milestone in our market.”
New AT&T customers who wish to port or retain their phone number from another wireless carrier should consider bringing a copy of a bill from their current service provider. Customers will be asked to provide account information as it appears on record with their current provider, including:
- Account number
- Name of the account holder
- Account holder’s Social Security number or Tax ID
- Billing address
- PIN or password (if applicable)
Pricing and Eligibility
iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. These prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following:
- Customers activating a new line with AT&T.
- Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount.
- Current customers who are not eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history.
Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will pay the standard $36 activation fee.
For the complete array of AT&T offerings, visit www.att.com.
1 Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions.Where to Buy