Amazon today introduced a 5th generation, 7-inch Fire tablet for only $50 that claims to be 2x more durable than the latest generation iPad Air, and 2x more processing power than Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite. The new Fire tablet includes a quad-core processor, 7” IPS display, front- and rear-facing cameras, up to 128GB of expandable storage, exclusive Amazon features and services. The new Fire replaces last year’s Amazon Fire HD6 and HD7 tablets for less than half the price.
“Today, we’re taking another step in our mission to deliver premium products at non-premium prices,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “The all-new Fire features a quad-core processor, is incredibly durable, and is backed by the Amazon content ecosystem, the new Amazon Underground, and Amazon customer service with Mayday Screen Sharing. Fire sets a new bar for what customers should expect from a low cost tablet.”
For those that want a Fire tablet in every room of their house, or want even better price for gifts, Amazon is offering a six-pack deal that further discounts the price to $41.67 each if you buy six at once. Essentially, buy five Fire tablets and get the sixth free, but you must use coupon code FIRE6PACK at checkout.
Like all Amazon tablets, Fire delivers offers access to over 38 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, apps, and games, as well as exclusive features like X-Ray, ASAP, and Second Screen. Fire is great for watching movies, playing games, reading books, listening to music, and more. With expandable storage via microSD card and features like On Deck you’ll never worry about running out of entertainment, whether jumping on a plane or heading out on a family road trip.
- Best display of any tablet in its price class – Unlike other low-cost tablets that use TN displays, Fire’s 7” IPS display (171 ppi / 1024 x 600) offers a great viewing experience with vivid and accurate color reproduction that can be seen at all angles.
- Quad-core 1.3 GHz processor – 2x more processing power than Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite at less than half the price; quickly and easily switch between apps, stream movies, and browse the web without waiting for your tablet to catch up.
- Durability – As measured in tumble tests, Fire is almost 2x more durable than the latest generation iPad Air.
- Front- and rear-facing cameras – Video chat with friends and family with the front-facing camera; take and share photos, and save them for later with free, unlimited cloud storage for all photos taken on Fire devices.
- 8GB of internal storage
- Up to 128GB of expandable storage via microSD
- All-day battery life – Delivers up to 7 hours of reading, browsing the web, listening to music, and watching video.
- Fire OS 5 “Bellini” – Includes an updated user interface that replicates the look and feel of a magazine, making browsing and searching for your content easier than ever—what you want is just one tap away; plus, Fire OS 5 includes hundreds of new and upgraded features and platform updates, plus Amazon-exclusive services.
- Amazon Underground – A one-of-a-kind app store experience where over $10,000 in apps, games and even in-app items are actually free—including extra lives, unlocked levels, unlimited add-on packs, and more.
- For Prime members, On Deck automatically keeps your Fire tablet current with popular Prime movies and TV shows, as well as Amazon Original Series, so you always have something good to watch. Importantly, On Deck only uses the available storage on your tablet, opportunistically in a special shadow mode. When you download something, On Deck automatically makes room for your selected content—there’s no hassle of needing to clear out space yourself. This feature will be available via a free, over-the-air Fire OS update in the coming months.
- Activity Center – For parents whose kids have outgrown Amazon FreeTime, Activity Center provides an easy way for them to see how their kids are spending time on their Fire tablet—from how much time they spend playing games, to which websites they visit. Activity Center will be available via a free, over-the-air Fire OS update in the coming months.
- Mayday Screen Sharing lets an Amazon expert guide you remotely through any feature on your screen, available 24×7, 365 days a year—for free.
- Amazon-exclusive features—ASAP, X-Ray, Second Screen, Amazon FreeTime, Family Library, Word Runner, and more.
- Access to over 38 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, magazines, apps, and games—with free, unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content.
Price and Availability
Amazon Fire table will start shipping on September 30, 2015 for $49.99. Pre-orders are being accepted now at www.amazon.com/fire. Fire is also available as a buy five, get one free six-pack for $249.95 with the FIRE6PACK coupon code.
Also available for Fire are new accessories, including a protective cover available in five colors—black, blue, orange, green, and purple—that can stand in both landscape and portrait orientations, for $24.99.Where to Buy