MSN Direct Model Adds Traffic, Weather and Gas Price Information
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of automotive mobile media solutions, now offers two portable navigation systems to help drivers navigate the roads with ease and confidence. As Alpine’s third generation of portable navigation devices, the units combine OnPoint vehicle positioning technology with useful features that make the driving experience more enjoyable, such as Bluetooth hands-free calling, natural voice text-to-speech and simple, easy-to-use touch-screen control.
Alpine’s PND-K3 portable navigation device is joined this year by the new PND-K3msn. The PND-K3msn shares all the features of the PND-K3, with the addition of MSN Direct content and services. To get customers started, the PND-K3msn comes with a free, three-month subscription to MSN Direct. With the PND-K3msn, consumers can receive updated traffic information, weather reports, gas prices, movie times, news and alerts, local event information and stock prices (some services available only in select cities where coverage exists). The PND-K3msn also has MSN Direct’s “Send to GPS” feature. This convenient tool allows users to wirelessly send addresses, business listings or other locations directly from a Web site to the PND-K3msn, saving them time in re-entering or searching for the same location again on the PND-K3msn.
“The PND-K3 adds more value for drivers than other portable devices in the category. With the PND-K3msn, consumers now have more options for getting the information they need to get to their chosen destinations quickly and accurately,” said Stephen Witt, vice president, marketing, Alpine Electronics. “We have already earned top industry ratings for the PND-K3’s performance. With the new MSN Direct service, consumers will have an even more robust experience.”
“We are glad to provide MSN Direct to the PND-K3msn,” said Joe Coco, product unit manager of the MSN Direct initiative at Microsoft. “The information supplied by MSN Direct, combined with the PND-K3msn’s interface, will give drivers a more helpful and enhanced driving experience.”
The ability to lock in and maintain a moving car’s location on the map is a big challenge for many portable navigation devices. The PND-K3 and PND-K3msn feature OnPoint Advanced GPS Positioning for optimal vehicle tracking, to better maintain a moving car’s location on the map even in areas where it’s difficult to receive GPS signals, such as in a tunnel, around tall buildings or under heavy foliage. OnPoint simultaneously uses three technologies — satellite-linked global positioning data, solid-state gyro sensor technology (to measure the vehicle’s direction) and accelerometer technology (to measure the vehicle’s speed). The result is highly accurate, continuous vehicle positioning in almost any location, for advanced navigation performance.
The PND-K3 and PND-K3msn are fully loaded with everything a consumer needs for an easy, stress-free drive, including:
- Total touch-screen control via a large, bright (500 NITS) 4.3-inch display that ensures clear visibility in any lighting condition
- Simple and intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) with big, bright icons, large buttons, easy-to-understand screen graphics and an easy way to input addresses and destinations
- Natural-sounding voice text-to-speech announcements that deliver turn-by-turn driving instructions, street and highway exit names
- Assistive mapping visuals that offer essential driving information, such as Highway Junction View (which indicates the correct side to use at a junction split) and One-Way Street Icons for clear notification of one-way streets
- 6 million unique Points of Interest (POIs), which include restaurants, hotels, gas stations, movie theaters and grocery stores
- Preloaded NAVTEQ maps of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
- Built-in Bluetooth powered by Parrot, for convenient hands-free phone calls when connected to compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices
- Built-in SD card slot that enables playback of WMA/MP3 music files
- Customizable map and menu color schemes with eight different color options, enabling drivers to personalize the look of their Alpine portable navigation device to match their vehicle’s instrumentation lighting or mood
A new and useful feature on the PND-K3 and PND-K3msn is the “POI Search Along Route,” which not only allows drivers to look for places nearby, but also offers a more focused search for places that are on the way to their destination. Unlike other GPS units, the PND-K3 and PND-K3msn will not direct the driver to a POI that happens to be close but has already passed, or is out of the way from the original, optimal driving route.
The slim design of the PND-K3 and PND-K3msn makes it easy to attach the unit to the windshield or dashboard. The cradle uses a ball-and-joint socket, allowing the driver to easily and precisely adjust the device for the best viewing angle. The unit’s built-in loudspeaker allows voice instructions, music and incoming Bluetooth calls to be heard loud and clear. The unit also offers the opportunity to interface with a vehicle’s car audio system, automatically announcing voice-guided driving instructions and incoming phone calls over the vehicle’s speakers.
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
The PND-K3 Portable Navigation System is available now for $349.95 at participating authorized Alpine dealers in the U.S. The PND-K3msn Portable Navigation System with MSN Direct connection is available in February for $500 SRI at authorized Alpine dealers.
ABOUT ALPINE ELECTRONICS
Alpine Electronics is an automotive electronics manufacturer that supports drivers in over 60 countries and provides the world’s leading auto makers with audio, video, navigation and driver assistance products. The company specializes in system integration solutions with innovative vehicle entertainment and information technologies.
Alpine’s R&D and manufacturing facilities in Japan, China, Europe and North America ensure that all products address the real world requirements of drivers in each market. The company is committed to developing products that are safe, comfortable and eco-friendly for the automotive environment.