Aircell announced an in-flight, color touchscreen smartphone designed specifically for business planes. With intuitive, menu-driven features, the Aircell Smartphone allows passengers to place and receive voice calls aboard business aircraft as easily and conveniently as they do with mobile phones on the ground. In addition, its flexible Android OS platform sets the stage for a nearly unlimited set of rich-media features and functions in the future.
Among a host of groundbreaking capabilities, the new Aircell Smartphone will provide the best voice quality in aviation through a number of embedded technologies and design features. At 3.8″ diagonally, the Aircell Smartphone's bright, color touchscreen display is the largest the aviation industry has ever seen in a telephony device. It exceeds the size of most consumer smartphones on the market today.
The Aircell Smartphone will be backward-compatible with all Aircell Axxess communications systems currently in production, and available as a drop-in replacement for the Aircell Axxess flush-mount handset. It will also be fully compatible with the company's forthcoming Gogo Biz Voice service via the ATG 4000 and ATG 5000 systems.
Key Benefits & Features
- Designed specifically for aircraft use, from the ground up
- Big, bright, 3.8″ color touchscreen display — the largest in the industry
- Flexible, future-minded Android OS platform
- Bluetooth-compatible for hands-free operation
- Ingenious design for interchangeable wireless or wired operation
- High-touch design with expert use of colors, materials & finishes
- So easy to operate, no user manual is required
- Drop-in replacement for current Aircell Axxess flush-mount handsets
- Integrated audio jack for wired headsets & earbuds
- Fully certified
“The result of extensive industrial design and human factors study, the Aircell Smartphone epitomizes the notion of next-generation inflight communications. It gives passengers exactly what they want — the best-sounding, best-looking and easiest-to-use handset in aviation,” said John Wade, Aircell's Executive Vice President & General Manager, Business Aviation Services.
First shipments are scheduled for late 2011. Pricing will be announced prior to that time.