No sound when hooking up PS2 optical audio direct to Plasma TV

Username: Tantrum4

Post Number: 1
Hello, I own one of the new PS2 slim machines and am not getting any sound when I plug in the optical audio cable from the PS2 directly into the back of my tv. I do not have an amplifier system and just want to use the tv speakers. I have made sure that the PS2 is configured for optical sound in the menu and also looked in my tv menu and didn't find anything. I get the picture pefectly as I am using the component cables directly into my tv but no sound. Is this even possible to get sound directly into a tv or do I have to use an receiver??

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3429
your plasma dont have dobly decoder or dts or only accept analog or 2 channel signals

Username: Djmika760

Post Number: 1
Optical cables are only for visual output. Hence the name "optical". Audio only goes through rca man...just plug in the regular red & whites and your optical cable...thats it!

Username: Tantrum4

Post Number: 2
"Optical cables are only for visual output. Hence the name "optical". Audio only goes through rca man...just plug in the regular red & whites and your optical cable...thats it"

Dude, you're not serious are you? Optical cables are not visual, they are actually called optical because the sound travels through a fiber optic lense. Anyway, I've already figured it out, the optical output on the back of my tv is just that, an output, not an input. I had to buy a receiver and plug the optical cable from the PS2 into the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us