PS2 w/surround sound

vpr
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up my PS2 with my Onkyo receiver. I have an optical cable from the PS2 to the receivers optical in.....do i just hook up the component cable to the tv or do I have to hook it up to the receiver? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

idealty
Unregistered guest
No vpr, you don't HAVE to hook up the component cables to the reciever in order to hear sound. In fact, the only thing u need to hear sound is the optical cable (surround sound). That should be hooked up to your reciever. The way mine is set-up is i have an optical out going to the reciever (for audio) and only the component video cables going to the reciever (the white and red audio wires aren't hooked up). It works beautifully. Hope this helps.

vpr
Unregistered guest
thanks for the help, idealty!!

Mattt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
the ps2 cant play games in 5.1 sound but a few in game movie clips like the CGI cut sceans or something like that in some games play in 5.1 (very few) but now games support pro logic 2 so u need to hook up the optical cable to the reciver and the video the the tv and if your reciver supports it put it in pro ligic or even better pro logic 2 but dvd movies will play in 5.1 with the optical cable hooked up to the reciver and dont hook up the red and white to anything always go with a digital audio the red and white isnt.

MikeAllen
Unregistered guest
What if you want to use the component cables for the PS2 (for better Picture Qual) but do not have an optical audio input on the Receiver. I bought the Component and optical wires, but ALAS no optical input ! What do I do now ? (Any sound would be okay, it does not have to be dolby or anything) Any ideas?

Username: Feicstur

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 1
hey MikeAllen,
You can purchase a set of Monster component cable with analog audio connectors for about 60 bucks. This would solve your sound issue and still give you maximum clarity.

tooch
Unregistered guest
i have monster component cables and need to hook up to a yamaha 5760 receiver. not too sure where to hook them too. any suggestions

Adam Macht
Unregistered guest
I just bought a monster component video and optical audio cable. I connected the optical to my surround sound system and the component to my tv, the sound and the picture are great but every 30 seconds or so the sound cuts out and there's some slight static popping sounds, the picture doesn't freeze up at all so i thought it was a defective optical cable. To try and prove this theory i put in an audio cd but it played through for 20 30 minutes. This leads me to belive that either my playstation is finally going or for some reason the optical and component processes use alot more power than the basic av jacks and its drawing on one more than the other. There's also a monster power cable they offer on their website, im hesitant to get this as well because the three cables are about as much as the playstation itself, but i will if it can fix the problem.
-anyone have monster optical audio cables on an older ps2 and have this problem?

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 3
Are you using the Standard audio cables at the same time as the optical? Does it do this for every PS2 Game? What port on your Receiver is the optical going into? And finally did you go into the playstation configuration and tell it you were using it for optical sound and not PCM (digital Coax)? Popping and cracking is not a symptom of optical cable. Optical cable has no electrical impulses. However sending a standard audio signal i.e. CD does not test is as thoroughly as a full 5.1 signal.

Adam Macht
Unregistered guest
no im not using standard audio cables at the same time because there are no audio jacks on the component 1 or 2 hookups, when using the standard av cables on the regular audio/video hookups the audio is fine. the optical audio is hooked up to my koss 6.1 surround sound system. now im assuming all optical hookups are universal, the cord fits tightly to both the playstation and the surround player so its not the connection. i know that audio cd's don't use 5.1 signal, but i thought that it had to do with the actuall guts of the playstation, somthing loose or broken. if the optical cord was damaged it should have problems with any audio signal, not just 5.1 right? ive never used the optical out on my playstation before and ive had it for 2-3 years and ive got a couple thousand hours in on it. ive droped it a couple times the disc tray moves alot slower than it did and it makes the occational grinding noise, despite this i was still able to play dvd's and games just fine, its only the optical im having problems with so im leaning towards the idea that some where inside the optical connection is comprimised, im trying to narrow it down and find some place to repair it, i wouldn't trust myself for second within a sodering iron, on average how much would a full overhall of my playstaion cost,and how much if its only the optical out thats damaged. im almost tempted to buy a new playstation so i can play sanandreas in surround with out the 30 second hickup. (wouldn't there be no sound at all if the optical isn't selected in the menu?, that would mean that the sound would still be trying to go to the av out.) when i first hooked up the new component and optical i turned it on and it worked, i thought it detected the optical automaticly

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 4
The thing about sound especially digital vs. analog is that can both be simultaneously sent out of the same device since they do not need to share the same port. Here are some more tihngs to check since the odds of a faulty optical cable are slim. Power up the playstation without a game disc in it but a memory card. you should be able to go into options and confirm that the audio is optical and not PCM. Second check the port on your audio receiver. They are not all created equal since some go to your on board processor and some do not. Try going through your DVD optical and not a CD optical. If all else fails Monster has a Lifetime warranty which you can retrieve the details from their website. Good luck getting this up and running. Monster cable is worth it.

Adam Macht
Unregistered guest
Alright, thanks for taking the time to read my post, ive noticed that the problem mostly happens when the disc drive is clicking, im going to get my freinds ps2 and see if i have the same problem. if not then ill try and find one of my freinds willing to test all the intricate chips and inards. by the way ive been reading up on all the different replacment parts,(chips, lenses, connectors, ect..) how much can you improve the performance of an older ps2 and is it cost effective compared to just buying a new one that seems to have been refined over the past couple years? Are there really that many different versions or are they mostly just gimmicks?

Unregistered guest
I have an similar problem...
I use my PS2 with a digital out going to my receiver. Video goes to my screen.

While playing DVDs the sound will play for a while and then cut out. Until I power-cycle my receiver (Kenwood VR 2080) I won't get DD/DTS to work. Is this a PS2 issue? I don't have another Optic source to test the receiver, but it's happening will every DVD. Haven't tested it with actual games yet.

Thanks
I appreciate your input (if you could email me back that would also be appreciated - andirewNOMOREFREAKINGSPAM[at]hotmail.com)

Unregistered guest
I have an amp style PC surround system to give as a gift for someone for the use of hooking up to a PS2.

This speaker system is the type to hook up to a PC and has jumpers that are the pin style jack converting to the RCA style jack. Those are intended for the 5.1 hookup for individual front - rear - center inputs.

The speaker set also has a 2.1 hookup that is only the left and right audio input RCA style jacks.

I do not have a PS2 to look at to see if there is RCA style jacks on the PS2 for audio out.

I am overseas and cannot get a PS2 to look at.

I have tried to google images of the hookups but cannot find any.

Cn someone explain the available hookups for audio out on thePS2 so I can get an idea if this system will be compatable.

03jwood
Unregistered guest
Hi people any help would be appreciated, I have a PS2 and am getting a Sony Mini Disc player, I would like to transfers songs to mini disc via my PS2.

I don't know which optical cable to get or where to get a good one from? Help anyone?

Cheers
Josh

Username: Tabman

Post Number: 4
any optical cable will do i guess. just go to an electronics store and ask for a regular optical cable. however ull have to buy an adaptaer if ure intending on hooking a ps2 to a md. its really cheap and all md need it so it shuldnt be 2 difficult to find tthat either.

03jwood
Unregistered guest
cheers what's the adaptor called? Does it have a specific name? And if i were to do this using only my PS2 how would the MD player compress the files? Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 71
Any sound issues using digital out may be caused by improper settings with the ps2. get into the settings of your ps2 under sound and change it to digital. That should work.

This goes with a dvd player aswell the default settings is the analog settings you have to tell your dvd players or your ps2 that it needs to look for the digital out....

Username: Tabman

Post Number: 5
hmm im not sure it has a name but just search for it u cant miss it its just a little piece of plastic that fits in the end of the optical cable and then has a narrow tube out of which the optical signal comes out.

the md would compress it the way u set it to. if its default(80 min in a md) itll be wav stereo, if its lp2(120 min per md) or lp4(360 min per md) its different but dont worry as itll always convert to a file type it can postumously read

Unregistered guest
I just bought the new playstaion2 the slim model. I have a reciver so I bought an optical audio cable to go with. I hooked up just the yellow video to my LCD & the optical to my optical in on my reciver but I can't get any sound. In the settings on the playstaion the Digital Output is set to ON and the reciver is on optical but it just says No Digital Data. Tried another cable and tryed it on my Logitech speakers that has optical in aswell. It works fine if I use the regular Red & White audio cables. But i much prefer Optical sound. Any Ideas???

SCT
Unregistered guest
I just got a panasonic sc-Ht720 surround system for Christmas. It works great and all but I can't seem to get my ps2 to to work with it, the ps2 will only play through the crappy tv speakers.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bosher
Unregistered guest
I just brought a mini disc player which comes with a standard optical cable which does not fit onto my pc or cd player or my hi fi system. What cable would any one reccomend me buying?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 170
you diks have no life..................

Verdandy of the Norns
Unregistered guest
ive had my ps2 since it came and never used the optical output for nething may have dropped it atleast once in the past i set up all the right ps2 configuration and still no optical connection also ders no light coming from the optical output which is odd since the audigy 2zs platinum im using does have light emitted from its optical output unless i herd a suggestion dat ps2 optical light is infra red either way i cant get any sound from this optical should i get it repaired ne suggestions?

Anonymous

I have just bought an Optical Out cable to connect my PS2 into my Denon UD M-50 Reciever but dont have the Manual and dont know what to do now.

frosty balls
Unregistered guest
if you are cheap and skanky like us brits over here; if you have a a minidisk player and it supports digital optical recording then why not link it up to the MINIDSP, put some headphones or a set of speakers into the audio jack and voila u have a very cheap and already avilable sound system, however u must also have a pause function for the recording to do this without breaking ur MINIDSP... .p.s.. works best with sony MINISP's naturally

bump22
Unregistered guest
i have optical cable for my PS2 and also component cables...my problem is...i have hooked up components with the tv and it works great now i got this optical cable hooked up with ps2 and receiver but i have no sound !!only thru the tv if i connect component audio cables.this is driving me crazy.please tell me what to do

Anonymous

i am having a major dilema, i have my optical cable hooked up to a panasonic dvd hometheatre SA-HT 920 but i can seem to be able to get it to play DTS on movies or games even tho all of the settings for digital out are turned but i can hear all of my games on it just fine prologic2 or otherwise. help please

Username: Jflynn0

bump did you turn the optical output on in the system config

Unregistered guest
I have a dish network (satelite) receiver, a multi-disk surround sound DVD player, and just bought the new PS2 slim. How do I connect all this together? Right now I have been alternating plugging in the DVD player and the PS2. I know there's got to be a way to connect it all. Can anyone help me? If you can upload me a picture showing the connection,that would be great.

Unregistered guest
Much like Adam's problem..got the monster gamelink component cables and a monster inlink optical cable...period hiccups in sound is the best way to describe it.. funny thing is i didn't notice it that much a couple of weeks ago..and i tried replacing the cable and setup up the configuration properly..

baby angel
Unregistered guest
....I want to play the new Harvestmoon game(Natsume) and I don't know what to buy. PS2 or XBox? I have no idea what to do once I buy them. I think I like to buy PS2 to play my game. I played Harvest Moon 'Save the Home land' and I really liked the feeding animals, harvesting crops and cooking activities. But does it work if I import the game cd from us and buy ps2 korean version ( because Korea don't sell harvestmoon game cd ) or do I have to import ps2 from us too? Also the electricity system doesn't seem to be the same. My DVD player stil isn't set to use because of that power thing is different. I can't plug in the shape of the consent look so different....

baby angel
Unregistered guest
please email me at hsoulbee@yahoo.com cause I don't think I can find my message again. I accidently posted here and I found this page through google and I don't think google will take me here again next time....

Unregistered guest
Hey guys, I found this thread because I'm having problems synching optical audio and video from dvds played back on my PS2. I have a low-end Sony Home Theater system, video goes to TV via S-Video cable. Basically, audio's delayed, so please post if you have any ideas about this.

For those of you with basic setup issues I have already solved:

1. You have to setup your Ps2 for optical audio output.

2. You ALSO have to setup your PS2 to output Dolby or DTS from the audio settings menu, WHILE the DVD is playing. Make sure you get the right menu, there's one audio menu that changes the language, another that changes output options.

3. Any optical output cable will work.

Unregistered guest
I have a new slim line ps2, and when I use the stock cable it perfectly fine sound, but, it has no s video jack, I have a combo cord from madcatz that also runs through my xbox and the svideo and sound work just great, but when I use the jack that is with the whole bundle for my new ps2 the sound cuts out, the sound worked on my old ps2 through this jack just fine, the old ps2 just finally had it, it was a first line that I never returned with the recall because it was all aces.

I am using the basic sound through the main connector, and not the optical sound.

I am wondering if this is something that the new ps2 machines have built in to them, to force people into using only their products with their machine, and if so, is there a workaround?

MrBEagle
Unregistered guest
I just got a set of Monster Cables for my PS2 (Component Video and Digital Audio). Video is working perfectly but audio is not digital. My receiver is a Yamaha VXZ750 and I'm sure audio input is set for digital. On PS2 also I have turned on digital out. For every game or DVD I play on the PS2 the receiver recocgnizes only 2 channel sound. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!

Username: Xplicitkoncepts

Joplin, MO US

I have the new slim PS2 (PSTwo). A basic Sanyo TV, and an Aiwa stereo that is set up for surround sound. My Aiwa stereo has an optical port, so I tried hooking my PSTwo up to it and I get no sound at all, I've checked the settings and I get nothing, it's all working fine with the basic RCA cables, just not with the optical. Any ideas? Plus I'm also looking for good products to buy for top notch home theater on a budget. I know nothing's good for cheap, but there is a decent middle ground. I plan on getting a new HDTV and home theater audio system. Can anyone give me pointers? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
ive had my ps2 with surround for a while with an optical cable now, but all of a sudden it dosent giv me any more sound at all when i start the ps2 or dvd movies it only works with games. you can then hear the surround again.HElp ME please, it pisses me of

Master Shake-[=o]
Unregistered guest
Doner_Kebab-

Followed your instructions to prevent the missing audio with the optical Ps2 connection. Had already setup the Ps2 for optical audio output. Setup the Ps2 to output DTS from the audio settings menu WHILE the DVD was playing. Seems to still have this sound dropout problem.

Any suggestions?
----
Ps2, monster opt. cable, Sony 5.1 amp

Username: Jamesbond

help my ps2 optical makes crackerling nosies ive tried 2 diffrent optical cables and it does the same any help thanks

Jai
Unregistered guest
Im trying to connect my playstation 2 to my JVC hifi system.
I have bought an optical cable, which I put into my playstation and my Hifi. I then pressed the 'aux' button on my hifi, but I dont have the sound coming out of my hifi speakers.
Was wondering if anybody could help me with this problem.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 143
You must make sure that the DIGITAL OUT option is set to ON in your PS-2 menu. This setting is on by default, but just in case.

1. On the PS-2 option screen, select "System Configuration."

2. Cycle through the configuration options until "Digital Out (Optical)" appears.

3. Set the aforementioned option ON.

Another possibility could be that your receiver may not be set to receive a signal from the digital input or that the input was not assigned to the AUX setting on your JVC.

It may also be possible that the optical port on your JVC may be an output instead of an input. This may be the case if your JVC system is a shelf unit and has a CD player where the optical port acts as a digital output for use with an external D/A converter or a digital audio recorder such as a DAT or a MiniDisc deck. - Reinhart

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 144
One possible explanation for the sound dropout problem could be the receiver, not the console.

On the digital output, the PS-2 console stops outputting the signal whenever there is no sound.

What is happening is that the receiver is usually set to automatically detect the signal format and apply the correct decoding based on the input. This automatic detection takes time to accomplish before the receiver starts decoding the feed. This manifests itself as a lag before the audio kicks in after a period of silence.

For the PS-2, typical audio output is 16-bit, 48 kHz PCM (although some games have live multichannel DTS surround or in-game prerendered cutscenes with Dolby Digital).

On games that play strictly on PCM, I set my Sony STR-DA4ES "AUTO DECODE" option to PCM instead of auto. This way, the receiver is not trying to determine the format and just simply expects the incoming feed as a PCM signal which quells the decoding delay each time the PS-2 generates sound from silence.

But on games with Dolby Digital during cutscenes, the "AUTO DECODE" option has to be left on auto unless I want to look at the cutscenes in regular PCM with Dolby Pro Logic. Fortunately, with DTS enabled games, the signal is fed constantly to the decoder/receiver.

As for having only regular 2 channel sound from DVD Video titles that you know to be 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS: there is a seperate set of options to enable Dolby Digital and DTS output in the DVD player menu, which is accessible only when a DVD Video is loaded into the PS-2 and when the console is in DVD Video mode.

To activate Dolby Digital and DTS output for DVD Video playback:

1. Push the SELECT button on the controller.

2. Select the SETUP option.

3. Select AUDIO SETUP

4. Cycle the options in AUDIO SETUP to AUDIO DIGITAL OUT

5. Set the appropriate options: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) to ON, Dolby Digital to ON, and DTS to ON.

- Reinhart

Username: Jamesbond

Post Number: 2
i have the creative inspire 5.1 digital 5500 i put optical on in the ps2 menu and i play a movie and the sound is jumpy and crackerly and it keeps swithching from dolby digital to stereo then i played pro evo 5 and it was the same the sound was jumpy and crackerly but it was not switching from dolby digital to stereo.Then i went into the optical menu in the ps2 and switched it off i was geting sound on my game and it was beter and not crackerly but it jumped some times any help thanks

Unregistered guest
I have plugged my optical cable to my ps2 and to my receiver, my speakers work but not the subwoofer....ne help ?

Username: Pmart317

Alright well im new here and i want to get something solved and need some answers bc i came here bc u guys know alot which is sweet.

My q is taht i have a harmon kardon receiver with a coaxial hook up with a orange cord to that from my dvd player which makes it good 5.1 suround correct??

The other q is i want to hook my ps2 up to surround sound and im loking for an optical cable right?? is this the right cable http://store.videogamecentral.com/ps2opca5suso.html
or is there any other sites for me to get an optical cable for my ps2?? thanks guys need some help

Unregistered guest
Hey! I'm trying to connect my headphone set to my online games for P2 and I have no sound!!!

Username: Pallikhera

Hey Guys,
I just want to share my pain with you.I live in a great country but with bullshit people,hence we don't have component cables for PS2 here.So i ordered them from some other country and when i plugged them there was no sound.And then i learned the differance between a component video cable and component A/V cable.My TV which i bought 10 days ago don't have a fibre optic input.So i learned 2 new things,but a little too late.Now i dont have any resource to order it again.
Why do they make 3 in 1 component cables.They should have an IDIOT warning on lable for people like me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us