Need some help with hooking up a ps2 to a new home theater system

Username: Stang_crazy

Columbus, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 1
I jsut got a RCA home theater system with (DVD) tonight. If its helps its model #RD160.

My problem is i can not for the life of me get the ps2 to work with it. I hooked it into the auxilary outputs as you normaly would but nothing.

I just want it so when i play the ps i can use the surround sound also.

any help would greatly be appricated.

I did search the forums and online but nothing came close to helping me out.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2054
if u have tried all of the channels u might want to look into buying an a/v adapter

Columbus, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 2
yeah i just figured it out LOL. im gonna need to go buy one of the adapters so i can have the tv hooked to the entertainment system, and hook the ES to the adapter and the ps2 to that also.

and some longer dang cables.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2068
good luck..

Columbus, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 3
well i got everything now to try and make it work.

ill let everyone know if it does or dont.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2071
please do

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2072
btw, how much was ur system, thinking about getting one

Columbus, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 5
got the ps2 hooked up to it, but it was only $100.00

Username: Boddies

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, looking at this thread I hope someone couldhelp me out here - sorry for length of post! Having just being coerced by the better half into buying a home cinema system -- JVC THR-3 -- and having spent hours amongst a tangle of leads and manuals, I am sadly no nearer knowing how to get everything to talk to each other. Previously we had the RF feed from the aerial going into the freeview box, then into the VCR, then into the TV. I also had a scart lead running from the freeview into the VCR, then another from the VCR into the TV. I had a cheap old DVD player connected via scart lead to the second scart socket on the TV, and then the PS2 connected to the 3rd TV input via its AV multi cable into a scart adaptor. I have no idea if this was the correct and/or best way of doing it, but it worked!

I have now taken out the old DVD player, but I think my problem lies in knowing how to link in the PS2 in order to use the surround sound correctly, and also the correct ordering of units in series.

Details of units and connections (taken from the manuals):

Daewoo DS608P Freeview box, with Aerial In, TV Out and 1x SCART socket

Toshiba 2577DB Television with 3 inputs -- listed in manual as: SCART 1 (RGB, AV) ; SCART 2 (AV, S-Video) ; Input 3 Normal / S-Video, Audio

Hitachi VHS Recorder VT-FX950E with 2 x SCART Connections -- marked "Decoder" and "EURO A/V"

PS2 with AV Multi Out connector and Digital Out (Optical) connector

JVC DVD Recorder with TV Antenna In and Out ; Component Video Output Connectors (Y/Pb/Pr) ; L-1 Input/Output Scart socket ; L-2 Input/Output Scart Socket ; Audio Output Connector (L/R) ; Digital Audio Input Connectors (L-1/L-2 Digital Input Coaxial/Optical)

There is a single umbilical connecting the DVD Recorder to the powered Sub-woofer, and all the speaker's connect into the back of the sub-woofer. This is the bit I like -- nice and easy!

I'm guessing that the correct order is that I run the RF from the aerial to the freeview, then into the VCR, then into the DVDR, and then into the TV? I also guess that I run a scart cable from the freeview to the VCR#1, scart from VCR#2 to DVDR#1, and then scart from DVDR#1 to a TV scart connection -- does it make any difference which one? But how do I connect the PS2 to the surround sound. Assuming I run an optical cable from the PS2 to the DVDR.....does this just carry the audio, and so do I also connect the PS2 direct to the TV for video, or does it all run through the optical? If I just make the optical connection, does this mean I will end up with having a single channel on the TV which displays/records the VCR, DVD and PS2 input, depending on which is active? The way I have it set up at the moment is the I select AV1, 2 or 3 channels on the TV remote to display the appropriate system.

Apologies for such a long post -- I think it needed it for the description -- but any help people could offer, preferably in idiot friendly terms, would be so greatly appreciated so I can get this set up for the kids for christmas. Plug to plug guidance using the descriptions listed would be helpful, then hopefully I won't need to annoy any of you by asking you to clarify your posts!

Thank you so much in anticipation, and Merry Christmas to everyone - Ian

Gregarov
Unregistered guest
i Just bought a durabrand home theater system and i cant get it to work with my ps2 if i need to buy more cables what kind do i need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us