Using optical cable for PS2

Username: Hunter371

Smithtown, New York USA

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on hooking up my PS2 to a surround sound system, and was wondering if I would need the opitcal cable for this. I wouldn't be playing DVDs on my PS2, just PS2 games. I know that PS2 games can't get 5.1 DD in game sound, but can get Pro Logic II. So, would it make a difference if I just plugged in my RCA compsite (red, white, yellow) cables from my PS2 into the back of my reciever, or if I decided to hook a digital optical cable up instead?

From what I understand, you need a digital cable to get 5.1 DD, but since I'm not going to be needing that on my PS2, what benefits would I see of using an optical cable anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1261
WOW that would be awsome...if u have a big screen tv...hook it up 2 that 2...that would be cool playing like Call of Duty the finest hour...that would be AWSOME!!!!!

Username: Hunter371

Smithtown, New York USA

Post Number: 4
Biggest TV I'm working with is a 27" flat screen, so it does the job just fine. I'm looking foward to playing the Medal of Honor games as well as Lord of the Rings. Anywho, anyone have help on my original question?

Anonymous

iv done this
i have a 42 inch dlp widescreensamsun and a Jazz Speaker J9940 (B) i got my self a high quality optical cable pluged it at the back of my playstation and pluged the other end into my Decoder box "the J9940 (B) center box" and its awsum
full 5.1 surroundsound!!!
its amaizin thats all you gotta do

Frido
Unregistered guest
It's not true, James. You've been mislead.
A lot of PS2 games do support full Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or DTS. GTA: Vice City for example supports DTS, but a lot of games do support it and do not say so, search google for user-made lists that support these great formats.
It'd be a shame, if you have a good surround system, to miss on the full effect a game has to offer.

At any rate, an optical digital cable is the way to go. Though you have to mind that(if my recollection does not mislead me), the older PS2 do not have a 5.1 DD in DVD, or maybe it was no for the Progressive Scan. I know my 50004 supports these, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 61
"At any rate, an optical digital cable is the way to go. Though you have to mind that(if my recollection does not mislead me), the older PS2 do not have a 5.1 DD in DVD, or maybe it was no for the Progressive Scan. I know my 50004 supports these, though."

The older PS-2s do not have progressive scan. But, all PS-2s are able to pass a 5.1 signal in Dolby Digital and DTS when set to do so in the DVD player options. You will also have to set the digital output on in the PS-2 menu. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us