Ps2 does not read games

Unregistered guest
sometimes the game takes a long time to boot up or sometimes the games don't load up at all

Bronze Member
Username: Eskimo3

Post Number: 39
Then your PS2 must have problems. Mine just loads a little slower than any other systems.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 169
you need to clean the disc..........if you do and still doesnt work then you got some bad scratches.
then theres nothin you can do.

Username: Poweredbyrcade

Post Number: 3
Your PS2 is probably dirty. Try to spray some air from a can of compressed air into the DVD tray. It might fix it or it might make it worse.
Or you can open it and clean the lens using a cotton swab and alcohol.

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1286
ya i agree with e3

Username: Irene64

BirminghamUk

Post Number: 1
hi, my sons play station 2 wont read discs.. it takes ages then it comes up disc read error..????
doesnt matter what disc i put in... i have put a brand new disc in at comes up the same..

Anonymous

yo my playstation 2 says reading disc but it never works iv cleaned the lense and i have cleand all the dust what is wrong

Username: Irene64

BirminghamUk

Post Number: 2
well apparantly u may as well buy a new play station.. i took mine to be repaired and they told me that the lens had gone and it wasnt worth fixing.. as the cost of the repair was over £50 without guarentee

ps2dude555
Unregistered guest
My playstaiton 2 has stopped reading disks! i brought it to a "shop" and they suggested a new one. Are they just trying to rip me off or should i really get a new one?

Username: 30003r

LondonEngland

Post Number: 4
the person who has problems with reading disks tell me 1 thing wats ur serial number like mines scph 30003r whats urz?

LondonEngland

Post Number: 5
the person thts his ps2 wont read games at all

cvhsdhgdfh
Unregistered guest
Thats a common problem if u have had the ps2 for a very long time.

You can try loading the game and turning u PS2 side ways or upside down, or by turning it off for 20 seconds and then back on. If none of those work for loading the games and u know they are new and unscratched AND you have trying cleaning the ps2 then u have to just get a new one. I would wait alittle longer cause apparently it might be dropping to 99 us dollars. i would hold out if ur one of those people whoes ps2 are getting old and not working.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 551
when is the price drop

Bronze Member
Username: Blakktalon

Post Number: 25
I think this is how it goes. First it stops reading dvd movies, then a while later it stops reading games.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT IT, OR MAY HAVE IT SERVICED BY SONY, THEN DONT TRY THIS AT ALL. AS SOON AS YOU CRACK THE CASE THE WARRENTY IS VOID.

If you are electronically inclined carefully take the case apart.(this voids the warrenty!!!) be careful not to rip off the power ribbon that goes to the reset, and power switch on the front. Take off the couple screws on the cd lid, and there is a screw on the guide rod for the laser eye. This over time wiggles loose, and causes the ps2 to stop working properly.

Carefully adjust it a little at a time, till it will read the game again. BE EXTRA CAREFUL BECAUSE TO TEST IT IT WILL HAVE TO BE PLUGED IN, AND ITS EASIER TO DO THIS WITHOUT PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER. If you have the patience to get it to read dvd's it will last a lot longer before you have to try this again.

Also Dont try this unless you have some experience, in messing with stuff like this, and only if you dont care about the ps2 anymore because it doesnt work.

Jared vargas
Unregistered guest
my ps2 can read the disc but the game wont start. what is wrong

Jared vargas
Unregistered guest

Jared vargas
Unregistered guest

ps2dude555
Unregistered guest
okay i finaly got a new but used slim ps2 and now the only problem is that it won't read star wars battlefront!!! i guess i'll have to deal thanks for all the help

nadia
Unregistered guest
I have my sons ps2 apart and tried adjusting the laser but what i was wondering is how do you know if the laser is bad It started out with disc read error

Anonymous

my sims bustin out game (blue disk) starts...and after you create a player it goes to the load screen, it loads and then freezes and makes a buzzing sound. Ive exchanged it but it still does the same thing. My kingdom hearts game also stopped working right after i beat it. any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
if ur system wont read disks and just comes up place ps1 or ps2 disk in then that may mean ur lens is dirty..or it may be that ur lens is weakening so that means u have to adjust it, or adjust the voltage..im not to sure on how to do so but there is sites on how to do it..

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 12
ur ps2 is gone

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 139
The PlayStation 2 suffers from dust and lubrication problems.

Sony didn't use enough lube on the traverse pickup sleds and the kicker mechanism to keep it running right. (Although, you never want to use too much lube as that causes problems of its own.) The lube that's on there dries up from the dust exposure and causes the bearings to bind on the sleds, which is why you can have a buzzing PS-2 when reading blue-bottom discs while it may work normally for DVD discs. Unlike DVD-ROM, CD-ROM discs require a faster mechanical response from the kicker mechanism to move the pickup back and forth rapidly to assure a fast read. When the PS-2 tries to seek a blue-bottom disc, it tries to move the pickup back and forth on the sled rapidly, but hangs up in the whole process instead because of the bind between the bearings and the sleds due to lack of lubrication, inhibiting free movement. The buzzing noise is caused when the teeth of the rack gear on the pickup jumps over the grooves it was in and then snaps back down on the next set of grooves on the worm gear over and over again.

The best fix is to clean out the PS-2 of all dust and then relubricate the aforementioned mechanical components with high quality bearing oil and molytone grease. What I do to help keep lube on the sleds and bearing is mix 1/3 bearing oil with 2/3 molytone, which creates a loose grease which provides a good lube that stays on the bearings. If you can't find molytone grease, white lithium grease can be used as a substitute. For the oil, use only a quality household oil or bearing oil; never use stuff like WD-40 as it's not viscous enough to be effective and most of the liquid will evaporate after a few days, bringing the problem back to square one.

Anyways, in addition to using the dilluted lube on the bearing and sleds, I use the same stuff on the worm gear as well. I use just enough to form a very thin film of lube on the sleds, but it's very important not to use too much lube as the excess can drip around and cause problems.

I work the lube in by moving the pickup back and forth in the traverse sled path a couple of times, BUT (AND THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT WARNING HERE) you should do this when the traverse is elevated up in its closed position! Moving the pickup back and forth while it is tilted down can damage the pickup! Underneath the pickup is a part of the mainboard shielding, which has a sharp edge. The ribbon harness on the pickup itself, which provides the circuit connections to all parts within the pickup, can be severed by this sharp edge, which will disable the pickup and may be difficult, if not impractical, to repair once this damage has occured.

After the lube job is done and the objective lens is cleaned using medical isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip swab followed by a brief airblast to the lens to blow away any cotton debris left behind, test it and see what happens!

Another thing that can happen, especially if the PS-2 was ever dropped or subjected to a lot of physical shock, is that the tilt adjustment may have gone out of whack, typically due to a center notched leaf spring that locks the tilt gear on one setting. The notch on the top of the spring rests between teeth on the white gear that's situated north of the pickup. Sometimes, due to shock, the spring may slip underneath the gear and cause a massive tilt misalignment, which will prevent the PS-2 from reading anything. Simply put the spring back in its proper place, with the notch going back in between the gear teeth, while holding the gear still. This is hoping that the gear setting wasn't messed up when the spring had slipped underneath in the first place.

As for readjusting the laser gain, that usually doesn't prove to be fruitful. When the laser has deteriorated to the point where you have to try and readjust the laser gain, it usually means that the pickup has gone marginal and will only get worse as time goes on. Besides, accurately adjusting laser power can only be done with a laser power meter (which actually measures the light emission from the laser itself) and the service manual (to know what range is recommended for optimal performance). Misadjusting the laser gain potentiometers, one for the red laser for DVD and the other for the IR laser for CD, can actually make the problem worse if you're not careful! Worst case: you can actually damage the laser diode and its new level of dysfunction would be permanent. The best way to deal with this kind of failure is to replace the pickup with a new one.

Hope this info is helpful. - Reinhart

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 42
LOL, this wouldn't be useful to the average gamer.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 142
But, it would be useful for those who are interested in repairing a PS-2, which is the focus of this discussion. - Reinhart

mmaarrkk
Unregistered guest
Cheers Kip that is a useful post, will try that next.

Adam6666666666666666
Unregistered guest
the mechanism that makes the wormgear spin has seized up on mine, not to mention the tray has also mis-aligned itself towards the wormgear (i think that might be due to me using a slidecard on a regular basis so that i can play imports)

p.s. re-lubeing the mechanism is a nightmare coz its so fiddly to take apart and even more difficult to put the clip on the back together

Unregistered guest
my ps2 will play dvd ps2 games wont read ps1 games

email me at scottclvy@bellsouth.net

Username: Angst1er2005

Ok i have a quick question..hopefully sum1 can help me out..i have a slim ps2(scph70012) and for some reason it never played any dvd's or silver disk..everything else works fine. cd's black disk, and blue disk..i was going to trade it in to gamestop to get some store credit towards a new one but i'm in no rush because i have another ps2 with a hard drive in it so i'm covered for now. now i heard that there was a way to adjust the laser voltage on the ps2 slims..does anyone know how or know of a website i can go to that will tell/show me how to do this..ONLY FOR THE PS2 SLIM.

Unregistered guest
hi, my playstation is starting to make a loud clicking noise while im playing madden 06, and will freeze after a couple of seconds. In anger i smacked the playstation and it unfroze. However 2 minutes later it did the same thing then started happening more often. What exactly is the problem and how would i fix it?

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 109
Read the post on Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:43 am: in this thread. What to do is take it apart and take. Get to the lense. Get a cuetip/earcleaner and put some rubbing alchohol on it, but make sure theres not enough alchohol on the cuetip for it to drip. U only want a lil bit. Slightly rub it on the lense in a spinning motion. Make sure it;s unplugged thoe so u dont electricute yourself. It should work. I do it once a month to my ps/2 or somtimes every 2 weeks depending on how much i play it. The older ps2 have a problem with the fan and dosn't cerculate enough air to pull the dust out. So thats why your lense gets dusty.

petezahet34
Unregistered guest
my stupid ps2 does not want to read any dvds or games...i already tried cleaning it and it doesnt want to work. this sucks!

kissmeufool
Unregistered guest
heres the deal
what happened to mw was the same thing it would take ages to tell you disc read error so we called sony. they said that the lens was probably dirty or had cracked(if you have it set up and down this is supposedly more likely to happen) so we ssent it off and so began its long journey. i got is back like 2 weeks later and it worked better than ever and they sent me a controller for free because....well i dont know why but im sure it was my playstation i wrote my name on the bottom of it.

Anonymous

How would you open your ps2 to clean the laser?

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 204
take the bolts outa the bottom. Then slip the top shell off. But watch the silver wire ribbon on the right side near the power button. If it's pulled out its hard to plug back in cause it's in a tight spot. But yeah thats how its done. Then take apart the cd cover. U will need a small phillips head. CleaN THE LENSE PUT IT BACK TOGETHER .

Gamer4Life
Unregistered guest
hey, there is something wrong with my PS2, i dont know if it can be fixed or if i gotta buy a new one, but here is what's wrong with it, i can put in a cd or dvd or a playstation game and it load's up in a sec but right when i put in a playstation 2 game it say's reading disc but it just keeps saying that and it wont load up, so i take it out an put a dvd , cd or playstation game in and it works fine, can anyone help me to find out what's wrong with it?

PCMASTER
Unregistered guest
http://www.richspsxparts.com/dres.html

i had a small plastic piece lodged in the laser gear. from probably when my little brother dropped it. just had to open it up and get it out....said "need format disk" for a while....now i fixed it

Username: Imhallo

my ps2 reads normal games but is very slow. however it wont read dvds or blue disks. This dosent work mine but if your ps2 is starting to get slower buy a lens cleaner and clean the playstation (these arent always for the ps2 most of the time there for dvds). you can also try cleaning the disk and then puting it in the tray, then if the screen osent read it or says disk read error take it out and put it in again in a different postion (this does work but only for dvds you will have to have alot of patience as well as it takes up to 60 or 70 tries). however your ps2 is truely broken (like mine) DONT OPEN IT its a very stupid thing to do and cost me alot of money before. just keep the receipt and hand it back to the shop.

Username: Stevie1036

my PS2 goes on but it clicks repeatadly really fast and wont read the disk

does any1 know y...

plz tell me if u do (P.S. Its and old PS2, not slim-line)

Username: Dj_game_master

hay my ps2 is slim line and it is not spining disk

Username: Scarface16

Brooklyn, Ny United states

my ps2 works and then it stops and it dont take the cd and says error how do i open a ps2 so i could clean the lens

Username: Mschoco

hey CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLZ!!!
my ps2 works fine but when i play games like GTA
San andreas it makes this annoying clicking sound then FREEZES!
has anybody dealt with this problem?? please help me if u have!!!
a very annoyed person!! who needs HELP!!

Username: Gameboy

i have a problem with my slim ps2 saying that the disk tray is open when it is not. i usually hear it click right before it freezes up.

Silver Member
Username: Bumpin612s

Post Number: 114
it broken

Username: Gameboy

could you be more specific brad. whats broken? , can it be fixed? thanks

Username: Lindamd

Stcktn, Ill Usa

hello again, ps2 (slim) does load, very slow and "choppy" does anyone have any advise on what it could be? thanks,
LMD}

Username: Yolandaragsdale

REINHART-Kip Wells-RULES
The only purpose of my registering was to be able to post a THANK YOU for his advise. A post was made that this would not be helpful to the average gamer- I am not even that - I am the WIFE of a gamer, and I was able to fake my way through fixing my husband's beloved PS2 after finding these suggestions. THANK YOU REINHART!

Username: Cooltech

)Ok the problem is your lazier disc reader thing/spinner is messed up you can look up ps2 parts online and find a part place with that part.

Username: Fly_fishy4

i recently got one of the big ps2 w/ptional hardrive slot. it used to read disks fine but after about 4 months stopped reading anything. i may have dropped it once, but that was awhile before it stopped working. any help?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15800
it doesnt read games but it plays them lol

Username: Aejae

hi there
i have my scph 10000 ps2
it can read ps1 games but it cant read ps2 games and dvds
when i put ps2 disc or dvd it says reading disc then disc read error
what should i do?
and dvd driver is not yet installed bcoz i dont have ps2 utility disc
can it read ps2 games without installing the dvd driver?
please help me..
thanks..........

Username: Darrentjy

hi there...
i have some problems with my ps2 disc recently...the problems come in that my ps2 is not able to read ps2 disc suddenly but it is able to read ps1 disc..when i try putting in ps2 disc to play,it comes out the red screen and i am not able to play my game at all..can someone guide me on how to solve the problem?

Username: Bastik

i was away for sometime and i couldnt use my PS2..I came back plug it and it was working fine but i place it down to get something then it just went off....since then the red power light has been on and when i press green comes and goes doesnt stay..therefore i cant play..can you pls help me

Username: Killjoys

Hi,I have just a normal play station 2.I have the sims2 pets but wenever I play it it doesn't spin one bit and it goes to the browser thingy.actually it does that nomatter wat game I put in.and inside the cd/dvd inserter it says 'never touch the lens' and I think I've touched it before.is that why its not working???somebody plz tell me how to fix it!! P.s. I've played the sims game with my grndmas ps2 and it works fine. HELP ME!!!!

Username: Killjoys

I <3 my sims2 game and I don't wana bring it back to my gmas!! I just wana play it in peace and not have to pray before I put it in to work!!and I'm just a kid,I can't fix it on my own and not know wat to do!! I MISS MY SIMS!!!!!!
}

Username: Parkerjesse

I'm afraid your ps2 has crashed.

Post Number: 3
Hi my name is Jesse I have just registered and I was woundering if anyone can help me out. I have the ps2 slim version and whenever I insert a game and turn it on I can hear a clicking sound and the game wont work. It will sometimes work if i try it 20 times does anyone know what the problem might be.

Post Number: 4
I was woundering what to use to clean my disks. Some of them work but most don't.

Pleaseee Help.}}}

Username: Cutelittlemouseygirl

Okay so I have the ps2 slim and I've had it for a while now, and it worked pretty well. Just today, I bought a new game, and put it in. It worked perfectly, but it said my new controller (also bought today) wasn't connected. I reset the system, and the new game skipped a little bit, then froze. Now when I turn on my system, it won't turn on until I open the disc tray, and it won't load games. Right now its sitting here, buzzing and showing a black screen on the TV.

I'm only fifteen, I can't afford to get a new system if I can help it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us