My system, really meh but oh well.

Username: Boulderdashcci

Post Number: 1
When I first started my system out, I had an old 19" CRT TV, a cheap Colby DVD player, a cheap JVC RX-6018VBK (I think that's what it was) 5.1 receiver, and a set of TEAC 5.1 speakers.

As I went on, I replaced almost everything for obvious reasons.

I started out by getting a new TV, which was still pretty cheap (a Sanyo 27" flatscreen from Walmart), but a huge improvement from what I had. I replaced the TEAC 8" 100W sub with Bestbuy's KLH ASW10-125C 125W, 10" sub. I noticed the TEAC fronts really lacked at high volume, so they were replaced with a set of JBL N24IIs. The receiver was replaced with an Onkyo TX-SR502 6.1, which I'm very happy with. It drives the speakers much louder and clearer than the JVC, so that's one piece I'm actually happy with. With the Onkyo brought me 6 channels rather than 5, so I added a Cambridge Soundworks MC50 surround-back. I've also replaced the KLH sub driver with a somewhat better Lightning Audio 10" driver, because the KLH was getting distorted at high volumes. The latest piece replaced was the DVD player, which was replaced in favor of an Onkyo DV-SP404.

While it has come a long way from the 19" TV and cheap DVD player, there are still a lot of things I'd like to replace. For one thing, while the speakers sound decently matched right now (even though they're heavily mismatched), I'd like to get all Cambridge Soundworks Newton speakers in when I get the money. I'd also like to look into a Samsung 30" CRT HDTV to replace the cheap Sanyo.

I know it's not much, and probably all systems here blow it out of the water, but I like it, it looks and sounds decent, even in my pretty open room.

Anyway, some pics:

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0010qn9.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0014tv9.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0013mp2.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0006uz2.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0012ds6.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0007ip4.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 135
Good looking starting point, although there is always room for improvement. I must say that there are two things that I would do with it. First, a good looking A/V rack will do wonders for any setup. I recommend custom building, its cheaper and you can make add ons based on what you have. Second, the setup would look a lot better if you went over it with a feather duster . Good choice on the crt. My crts have just run forever and they still look good while my nice new rptv broke within a couple days. Lastly, what kind of center is that?

Congrats,
Stefan

Post Number: 2
My room collects so much dust, lol. I do need to go over it. The center is a TEAC LSR-200, that came with the original set of 5.1s. As I said I'd like to go all Cambridge when I get some money, but it actually doesn't sound too bad.

The TV stand I got a while back. I had a much "better" one, but it was too big and looked empty at the time because I didn't have enough to fill it (at the time I only had the 19" TV). When a friend of mine was moving, they were getting rid of that one, and I figured it would better fit the components I had so I grabbed it.

Once I clean the room up a bit I'll take a more full shot of speaker placement and such, which does need work but it sounds pretty decent (the only noticeable drop off in the sound stage is the front right, since it sits much lower than the front left, center, and surrounds. I've had plans to wall mount it for a while I just need to get some more tube and Monster cable for it.

The next thing I'd like to buy are Cambridge dipole surrounds, to replace the TEAC bookshelfs.

Post Number: 3
Sorry for the double post, where's the edit box?

Anyway, here's a basic idea on the floorplan of my room, with the speaker setup:

Upload

The TV/center is the upper right hand corner, the little box to the right of that is the front right, the box below that is back right, below that is my bed, to the left of that is my desk setup, and the little box on top of the big box is surround back (it sits on top of my CRT computer monitor. I have a pitched plaster ceiling, so I can't mount anywhere). The box to the left is the surround left, and the upper left is front left. Under that is a second desk, which sits over the sub. The main/optimal listening position is the X. I'm very limited as to what I can do for configuration, but i think this works out decent. I used to have the sub in the closet (behind front right), but it was causing the doors to rattle.

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 136
My current set up has all of my stuff off in a corner too. Personally, I can't wait until I get my HT room so I can put it against a flat wall. You can see what I mean about the corner in my thread entitled Almost There. The big problem of the corner is that there is no room for horizontal expansion. The tv has to be so far away from the wall that it is totally killing the space. Also, I have no room to add another rack for my turntable, stereo amp, and HTPC. I look forward to seeing your setup look nicer soon.

Goodluck,
Stefan

Post Number: 4
I'm not too sure [i]how soon[/i], as I've got quite a bit to pay for before i can start buying things for it again (10 days in a Mid-west US riding roller coasters, another hobby of mine).

I did however start researching some stuff last night, and I think rather than replacing the surrounds next, I'm going to try for a Cambridge Soundworks Newton MC300 to replace the TEAC center channel.

In the future, I'd like to replace the JBL fronts, and use those as B speakers for my bed. They would be replaced by Newton MC200s, which are matched to the center channel, but only have one woofer rather than 2.

After that, The TEAC bookshelf surrounds would be replaced by Newton S200 or S300 dipole surrounds, depending on how much money i have when i do that.

The sub would be last, since it's not very easy for me to just shell out $600 at any given time. But regardless, it would be a Newton P200.

I have heard all of these speakers are the Cambridge store (unfortunately, my local one closed) and they all sound really good. I think they'd be a nice fit for my receiver.

So essentially, it would just be their Enthusiast II setup, just built in pieces because I won't have a full $1000 at any given time. I know I'll e spending more that way, but there isn't much I can do about it.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category/ht_enthusiast/k1et25zz/

Silver Member

California US

Post Number: 137
One thing that everyone on this forum talks about is HSU subs. Google HSU and check out their products because I hear that they are the best available (and they are really cheap too).

Regards,
Stefan

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 452
Stefan, the HSU are not the best available, but are "one" of the best in their price range. They compete well with subs in their price range, and are considered a good bang for buck product, but certainly not one of the "best available".

Bronze Member
Username: Docutech

Post Number: 17
Freddie:

I have a dust issue as well, very hard to keep my black av cabinet dust free. I thought about investing in a air ionizer/cleaner. I hear they can make quite a difference.

Post Number: 5
So I recently moved and I've got a few questions. First of all, I have got FiOS TV and while it's great quality video and audio (I'm getting a Dolby signal on all channels, something I never had with digital cable (and Dish Network didn't even offer a digital audio out on the SDTV boxes I had)), the remote is horrible. I lost pretty much all control over my receiver with the exception of volume, and what does it have to do with the TV besides turn it on and off anyway? I'd much rather use my Onkyo remote that I have been used to forever. I have searched quite a bit but haven't been able to find any codes that work, anyone have any ideas? The STB is a Motorola QIP 2500-3 (the Onkyo manual doesn't even mention Motorola box codes, and neither Verizon nor Motorola's site are helpful).

Second question is my new room will be a 18x12' basement room finished over. I'm wondering if my 502 is going to power this. It's currently being used for storage so I don't have any furniture down there yet, nor any way to test my setup realistically. The reason I ask is I'd like to permanently wire the room which will cost a couple hundred dollars, and I'm not sure if I should spend that kind of money if my receiver won't even throw out enough power to fill the room (about half of it will be the main listening area). I have read about people using the 502 in similar setups and it being fine, but I'd rather not strain it to get to normal listening volume. The speakers I use are all 86db sensitivity, with the exception of the surround back. If it's not going to power this size room, I'll start saving up for a new receiver instead of wiring.

And just to keep it in one post, Cambridge Soundworks has their S300 surround on clearance for $199. I really like that they're selectable dipole/bipole and monopole, seems really versatile. They normally go for $349, is this a good deal (and will they work out well in the room I just mentioned?)?

Thanks for the help....

Post Number: 6
Sorry for the double post, but I am using a new TV stand which works a lot better. Still a pretty cheap one (it was free) but it looks a hell of a lot cleaner. It's in my temporary room right now so it's only running 3.1 (sub on top is my computer speaker's) and no DVR.

Upload
Upload

Canton, Mass USA

Post Number: 8
I'm ordering surrounds now. The S300s are out of stock, so I'm either going with the S200 or S100s. I'm leaning towards the S200s, but they don't have as good freq response or sensitivity. However the drivers in them look better and the S100s. Any ideas what to get before I go ahead with the order?

My other option is to go Wharfedale, but I'm having a really hard time finding any US dealers. Any ideas? Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us