The Terrace Theater - take two...action!

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 44
Ok...resized the pics so it should work now. I'm not much of a carpenter, but took my time and studied pictures of other setups for ideas. Put a lot of them down on paper before I took a shot at it. Stealing liberally from the ideas of others...thanks!

The first stage shelves are about 7" high so that the DVD, SAT, and CTR speaker all fit nicely with room to work on all of them

The next set of shelves are about 8.5" tall and 12" deep. I blocked them off with little 1"x1" pieces so that DVD's snuggle up to this and then stay flush to front of cabinet. If I want to use the depth later, I can knock these little pieces out of the way.

The top shelves are also 12" deep and took the left over height for use as general display shelves. I've built another "adjustable" height shelf for over the receiver, but it wasn't in when I took the pics. The more shelf space the merrier (where do all those extra remotes go to die!)

The open center spot below the HDTV is 24" deep but set up the same for DVD storage (small block there at about 6" depth). I may end up using this space for Xbox / PS2...with multitap and wireless controllers.

Oh yeah...I used the standard 5.1 Fluance speaker package and then added satellites for 7.1 in the main HT area, and another set for the zone 2 speakers located in the adjoining gaming room.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 42
Very nice. Seems well thought-out. Hope you found a place to keep the lawnmower and fertilzer spreader! :-)

Remember to check the temps of the TV and receiver (especially after you install the shelf over it).

Enjoy!

wega lover
Unregistered guest
very nice, i have the same tv. be careful with the tv in that enclosed space because the fan needs room to remove heat to preserve bulblife.

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 46
Rick / Wega,

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to incorporate the best of ideas I saw from other people's setups / pictures and then work them into the space I had available.

What the pictures don't show clearly is that the depth of the tv area is about 26 inches. I tried to include numerous open channels / cable and power cord pass throughs behind and above the HDTV (and receiver). I used a keyhole saw to cut pass throughs between most of the boxed in areas (but far enough back where you can't really see them from the front).

In the second picture, you can see one of the two side sliding panels (on the right side...partially raised) I built in so that I can access / hide the wiring etc.

There is also about 1 1/2 feet of dead space above the built in that I've made accessible by way of a hinged panel in the area above the receiver. You can kind of see this dead space in the early construction picture.

Hopefully, the holes / channels will help component heat rise and push back into the room (or dead space) and keep the area / components reasonably cool.

GA

* The mower and spreader now share a new little storage area with my dog and my weights.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 243
Well done Griffin!
I especially like your description og the access panels for later use!
Wish I hadn't run the wires under my ceiling!
I will keep your ideas in mind next time!

Enjoy

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 50
Very nice.

How do you like the Fluance speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 492
H/K amp right?

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 222
Congratulations. Very nice.

I hope you enjoy your system for years to come. I like the idea of sinking your equipment into the wall to give your floorstanding speakers room to breathe.

Username: Fred333

Post Number: 9
Very nice integration in to the wall. I like the color schemes too.

www.soundonusa.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us