Merchant Information

Anonymous
Whar does the term "RMA required" mean under the listing of special features in the merchant reviews

Anonymous
RMA can stand for "Return Materials Authorization" or "Return Merchandise Agreement". Either way it basically means you can return an item as long as you contact the merchant for an RMA number to track the return.

Anonymous

anyone out there who has actually made a purchase from a company named advanced video systems. (avs-store.com) They have good prices but I am a bit leary about a purchase from them as I have not been able to find comments from customers

Anonymous

I would appreciate feedback from those who have had buying experiance with a company named advanced video Systems http://www.AVS-Store.com They have low prices. I have been thinking of buying the samsung HLN467W as the prices are tempting. I have read comments about the audio /video sync problem that have been noted by users. Has this problem been fixed or should I wait until the new models come on the market?

frank bushell
Unregistered guest
i would not use them if i was you , i ordered something and it never showed up and they charged my credit card two times, then they refunded only 1 time and it took a chargeback to get the second credit. Scam

If you can find it at www.vertigoonline.com then you will be happy, try them.

Unregistered guest
I am currently inprocess of trying to purchase from Advance Video Systems. I too am running into problems having my purchase delivered. "Factory problems" is what I am getting from Howard at AVS. Would like to know if you finally received your full payment returned. Thanks, Jim

Anonymous

I am also having problems with them. They have my $12,000 and are claming "Factory problems" at Sony. They have had my money for 4 weeks and have not delivered. A friend sent them an email and they told him that it was in stock and he better send the money that day because they may run out of the item. When he offered to come by to pick it up, Howard said that they could not let anyone into their warehouse because of security and insurance reasons.

I am ready to complain to the BBB and the Attorney General's Office.

Thanks,

John

Unregistered guest
I've already complained to the BBB. I called RCA factory and have a case file established. In it they say there were no factory problems. I'm waiting clearance of their refund check. My friend had emailed insisting to know if the same TV was in stock and Howard finally answered yes it was in stock and would be shipped in one weekday. At the same time he was telling me there were "factory problems". Need to tell all you can find to stay away from AVS

Username: Robb_murdock

Post Number: 6
To All:

avs-store and our buddy Howard have had my 4K for 5 weeks. Same story as yours. I caught them in an out-and-out lie. They said I just missed the cut-off and they would have to order more of the Samsung HLP5674W.

Later I found out elsewhere that the HLP5674W had not even been manufactured yet.

By the way, they have no warehouse. I pulled Title records on their address. It's a 3 bedroom house.

I also took a close look at their credentials. They look to me like forgeries.

At the time I placed my order, the Upstate NY BBB had 6 complaints on them; but all resolved. Now, 5 weeks later, they have 11 and a full paragraph on the nature of the complaints.

Let's all keep in touch on this one; and figure out what to do to get our money back.

Thanks,

Robb

AVS_beware
Unregistered guest
I have also had difficultly dealing with AVS. Send money, many weeks (actually months) pass, asked for refund, get money -10% back due to "service processing fee".
I have created a website that shows the details of my dealings with AVS.

http://home.earthlink.net/~avs_beware

Do not do cash dealings with this company.

Unregistered guest
AVS-beware. I know this is gruelling. But please contact the BBB and Sheriff's office with your complaint. This is a classic SCAM and they need to be stopped.

mikeporter
Unregistered guest
Well, add me to the list....I did a cash deal for $2154 for a toshiba 65hx83....

I will be contacting the NY state BBS...

Post Number: 7
Mikeporter:

I feel your pain!

I got my money back after 2 months. I was so relieved and so punch-drunk from the experiance that I have just put the whole experience out of my mind.

The BBB is a joke! AVS-Store simply issues a response to the BBB and says whatever they want and the BBB closes the matter. Filing the response to the BBB is simply part of AVS-Store's process flow.

If anyone out there is an attorney and wants to shut these guys down I will be glad to help. Absent that, let's all just spread the word and hope no one else gets shafted.

Good luck getting your money back.

mikeporter
Unregistered guest
Thanks Rob,

If I'm not successful, I'll have my cousin, whose an attorney, go after them with the full force of the law. I should have been more careful in dealing with online purchasing....This was my first and probably last experience in buying anything over the Internet....

Thanks for the encouragement

Post Number: 8
Mikeporter:

Don't give up on buying on the internet. I LIVE on the internet. I buy everything there. I have never had a problem; but I was duped by the AVSSTORE. They claimed to have the Samsung HLP5674W in stock; and I was desperate.

While I don't think much of the BBB, I still check there first. At the time AVSSTORE had an OK record with them. After I realized I had been duped, the BBB started recording some bad activity. It was just bad timing on my part.

I finally bought a TV from Crutchfield. They have a squeaky clean record with the BBB. They were great. I got a TV from them and saved a bunch of money.

As far as the deal with AVS Store. You will get your money back. However, if you get it back before 30 days they will stick you with the 10% fee. You will have to fight them for the 10%. Beyond 30 days you will get it all back.

They are definitely crooks; but they operate on the float that they get holding tons of money.

Hang in there. The Internet is a great place to buy things.

mikeporter
Unregistered guest
Thanks Rob.....I full somewhat encouraged by your comments..... After all this is over, I may have my cousin pursue them legally and attempt to put them out of business...

aczz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your input guys, I was about to send money to this guy.

Thanks agian

Username: Eric_condit

Post Number: 1
I just ordered and received two Philips 42PF9956 Plasma displays from AVS-store. They are the new model that's advertised on TV with the Ambilight feature. AVS-store had them direct factory drop shipped from Philips Corporation and it took just five days. They were at a good low price and we're pleased.

Username: Pxl8ed

Eric Condit:

Considering the amount of recent problems being reported here, I was hoping you might offer some details of your transaction. Just want to make sure you're not a rep from AVS trying to give false testimony.

Thank you

Username: Eric_condit

Post Number: 2
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay I don't frequent forums too often.

It was two Philips 42PF9956 Plasmas on AVS invoice #7795 for a shipped total of $7447 ($3723.50 each). They look good and work fine.

Thank you

Hi Eric,

Thank you for that info. We are currently having problems with them concerning a SONY 50" LCD Rear Projection TV (KF50WE610)which they have yet to deliver. Cash was wired on 7/29/04 for a delivery on 10/1/04 to Central Florida.

My mother-in-law ordered the tv, so I sent them an e-mail request pretending to be interested in buying the same model. They said that the supplier had 5 units available and I could get one in a week. So I replied firmly on 10/15/04 and requested that they send one of those to my mother-in-law immediately since she'd been waiting two weeks for delivery of a tv for which she'd already paid.

Howard Knapp sent me a suspicious reply on 10/16/04 stating that accounting had already canceled the order and a full refund was sent last week. They have failed to reply to my request for specific information regarding that cancelation and refund as of this posting.

Their reason for the cancelation was that they could not update my mother-in-law via e-mail due to some AOL e-mail blocking of their server. The problem with that is that they had two e-mail addresses to which to respond, one was an AOL account, but the other was a Yahoo account. She never received an e-mail update on the Yahoo account through which she made the original order.

The other circumstance that makes me doubt their integrity is that neither I nor my mother-in-law requested the cancelation.

I suspect that they were lying about the availability of this model to begin with in order to get the cash. Then they would hang on to the money as long as they could until the tv or the money was demanded by the buyer. I have a hard time believing this to be true if they are also filling other orders with satisfied customers.

I will post an update as soon as I get more info, and/or the refund check.

BTW, I am not a competitor trying to discredit AVS as Mr. Knapp has accused people on this message board of doing.

Thanks again to Eric for his purchase info,
Brian

Post Number: 3
UPDATE ON KF50WE610 DEAL WITH ADVANCED VIDEO SYSTEMS

My mother-in-law got her full refund today and purchased a newer SONY 42" model from a brick and mortar store. She spent a bit more than the lowest Internet prices but she is much more comfortable with that process.

Mr. Knapp said the accounting department cut and sent the check on Friday, 10/15, but the envelope the check came in was postmarked on Tuesday, 10/19. I got the dates wrong in my earlier post. My fishing expedition e-mails were sent on Friday, 10/15, and Knapp's response with info about 5 units available with the supplier was sent on Saturday, 10/16. I e-mailed my request that they fill my mother-in-law's order with one of those 5 units on Monday, 10/18.

I can't prove this, but I think my suspicions are true that the "supplier" never had any units available, and that the refund was sent in an effort to avoid a confrontation over that fact.

I would recommend not purchasing from Advanced Video Systems (AVS) due to the similarity of other experiences with mine. The fact that there may have been some legitimate sales through AVS does not compensate for even one act of deception.

STAY AWAY FROM AVS!

Post Number: 9
I know for a fact that Howard Knapp (or Ralph Olsen) knows about this forum. Hence, if I was Howard (or Ralph), I would assume a false identity and post false, positive feedback about my store.

Given the many, many fradulent experiences exactly like mine, I am suspicious of anyone claiming to have had a perfect experience with them.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous

This company is a joke and a fraud!!!! Howard is a rip-off and, as far as i know , doesnt have any connections to any tvs... I hope this comapany is shut down by the time i am through with them.!!

Anonymous

Please if anyone can give me some advice on how they got there money back or who to contact, please let me know. I am getting no responce back from Howard or the company. He has alot of my money

Unregistered guest
Rats!

Don't like the news I'm reading here. I've an 'order' in with the AVS-store, and since I wired the money as directed last week, Mr. Knapp has not acknowledged receipt of the order, or responded to phone & email messages.

Here are links that I've (since) found that speak to this:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199773
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/suggestions/7641.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~avs_beware/

Some Owego information:
Tioga County Clerk, Robert Woodburn
16 Court Street
P O Box 307, Owego, NY, 13827
Phone (607) 687-8660, fax (607) 687-4612

Chamber of Commerce:
http://www.tiogachamber.com/
607-687-2020

Office of NYS Attorney General:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/

Not sure how useful the BBB is. Will be looking into filing a complaint with the NYS Attorney General, and/or local law enforcement agencies if I don't hear back next week.

'luck to us all.

Pat

Duped-by-AVS
Unregistered guest
Sad to admit it, but I too was duped by our good buddy Howard Knapp. I tried to order the Samsung HLP5085W through him back on Sept. 1st because of their incredible price. Haven't heard a thing from him since October 12th. If you'll notice, their website is now gone, and every e-mail I try to send to ANY of their addresses, gets sent back as "undeliverable". I guess we all succeeded in forcing them out of business, but NOW how do we get our money back? I've filed with BBB and the NY Attorney General - they claim it could take 4 to 6 weeks before I even find out what's going on. Howard - if you're reading these, I hope you can still sleep well at night knowing how you're screwing honest, hard-working people!

Post Number: 10
Duped-by-AVS:

I am sorry that you are caught up in all of this. I expected this day would come; and those that were in the 'float' at the end would be the real loosers.

We will have to see where this goes from here. AVSSTORE as far as I can tell is not a corporation. Hence, the assets of the owner, Ralph Olsen, are attachable. I haven't found much on Ralph except for his small, 3br house.

If I had to speculate, I'd guess there to be between 200,000 and 600,000 dollars in the float. That money should be still in the account unless he has extracted it and fled.

THere are quite a few children in the Olsen clan, so I would guess that with those roots, he wouldn't be fleeing.

It might also be possible that he will re-emerge under another name.

Anyway, my advice is to keep pushing through legal and law enforcement channels. You don't have anything to loose now.

If I can help in any way, I (and I am sure many of us) would be glad to help.

Good luck

Robb Murdock

Anonymous

Ok everyone, I'm another in the long line of the ripped-off here.

Got a call into a lawyer in Tioga Co. with no reply yet.

Howard has got $3994.00 of mine.

Anyone interested in combining forces to see if we can get ahead of the government wheels of justice?

If we wait on the big G., the HLP5674W will be obselete by the time I recoup any funds.

I'll leave my email address (jnthames@mchsi.com) for those willing to join in.

Fleeced in Alabama

Post Number: 4
I would be glad to help in any way I can even though we got our money back.

Just let me know if there's anything I can do.

Unregistered guest
Here's the link the the IFCC FBI so that you can , if you wish, file a complaint for being defrauded. I did. (although I don't feel better yet)

The process is relatively quick & painless.

Let's keep up the pressure!

Pat

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

The IFCC is:
------------
The Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

IFCC's mission is to address fraud committed over the Internet. For victims of Internet fraud, IFCC provides a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of a suspected criminal or civil violation. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at all levels, IFCC offers a central repository for complaints related to Internet fraud, works to quantify fraud patterns, and provides timely statistical data of current fraud trends.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
To All:

I also would be glad to help. If there are any attorneys in the forum that might want to help pro bono, I am sure we could provide them with a lot of ammo.

The latest 'anonymous' person and I both placed orders on the HLP5674W. We are unique in that we placed orders on a TV that hasn't even been manufactured yet!

Hence, we caught Howard in an absolute lie, claiming that they just ran out of those; and would have to back order them. I have documented each interaction with Howard and am willing to provide that documentation to anyone wanting to fight.

Like Brian Schindler, I got my money back (less the wire transfer costs); but there is a principle at stake here. I would be happy .. no, THRILLED.. to help someone fight these guys.

Robb Murdock

Patrick McHargue
Unregistered guest
Folks;

Anyone who's been burned by the AVS-Store.Com, or AdvancedVideoStore.Com at '19 Roots Lane' needs to call Investigator Casey Rhodes of the Tioga Sheriffs department. He is handling the investigation into their (shoddy) business practices.

The number to the Tioga Sheriffs department is (607) 687-1010. Call and ask for him. I was only able to leave a message with his machine, but I expect to be calling his office until I speak with him, and find out what steps will be taken.

How many of you call & complain makes a difference. Police allocate resources based on who & how many have been harmed. The Sheriffs department needs to hear from us all so that they can decide that this needs to be pursued!

Regards;

Patrick McHargue

Unregistered guest
Well it is good to know I am not the only one trying to fight this battle. I have contacted everyone and anybody about this fraud.. and it seems that alls I or anyone can do is wait.. I filed a complaint with my local police department, because that is what the sheriff's department in Tioga told me to do. My dept. would transfer it to the NY dept. I am from IL so this is a big pain in the butt for me.

I feel terrible for all you guys who have been scammed by this man. A lot of money has been wrongfully consumed and I hope with us all working together we can get our money back.

Let me know if there is anythign else I should do besides contact that officer that Pat left the number to, cause I do not plan on giving up very easily on this!

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Patrick McHargue and All:

I contacted Tioga County Sherriff back when I was trying to get my money back. He just called me back a couple weeks ago. Evidently, the heat is on. I gave him all of my info; and like Patrick McHargue says, everyone, even those of us that got our money back, should call him. The more ammo the better.

Thx

Robb Murdock

Unregistered guest
Same story as every one else, but didn't get my money back,yet. Filing complaints where I can. Police reports and the likes. Wish I had found this type of feed back when I was looking for it. I relied on the bbb data base, problems but mostly resolved. The cash price was so enticing. Will not do the cash thing on the internet ever again.I wish there was a contact person in charge of this type of fraud, still to many departments and places to report this activity. Wonder why we have to use local police or sheriffs. Seems like the local sheriff in Owego,Ny could run down to the address and check out our claims.I am out $2837.00. Hope for some kind of resolution.

Unregistered guest
Gents,

Last contact with H. Knapp was 10/18 (see below}. Makes me really want to cry, humph!

The NY State Bar Assn. 800-342-3661, gave me a lawyers name of Frank Como ph.
607-565-2461. They gave me a ref# 529326. Frank has not returned my call yet.
I will try and contact him tomorrow, and will let you know what he says. Hard
to do this kind of research when your bustin your hump 7:00 A.M to 6:00 P.M.
trying to make a living.

I would rather put up several hundred $ to get some info from a
lawyer/detective with lien capability, than wait for some mass complaint of
which I would be a small percentage of!

Will let you know what I hear tomorrow.

Fleeced in Bama

---------------------- Forwarded Message: ---------------------
From: "Thames, James N. (Norman) (Ship Systems)" <james.thames@???>
To: <jnthames@mchsi.com>
Subject: FW: SAMSUNG HLP5674W STATUS
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:50:52 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Knapp [mailto:hknapp@advancedvideosystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 5:25 PM
To: Thames, James N. (Norman) (Ship Systems)
Subject: RE: SAMSUNG HLP5674W STATUS
Importance: High

Norman,
Well you got more information than I got about Samsung, THANK YOU!!!
Well supplier this afternoon was saying ETA end of month.
As far as design I strongly suggest you get that info from the horses mouth,
meaning Samsung Engineering.
All they ever tell us is everything is fine, no problems, everything is
shipping; yep right!
Well this is very interesting, I've got one more for you from another
customer that sent it in.
It's not about the HLP5674W but it is about their sister HLP models.
See below forum write ups especially after August 2004.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/14343.html
Looks like Samsung has design problems which might be impacting production?
Hope this helps you. I'm really sorry about their delays.
Sincerely,
Howard

Jnthames
Unregistered guest
All,

Here's what the Lawyer said today, 11/12/04.

Frank M. Como. wrote:

I have spoken briefly with the Tioga County, NY DA. He beleives that a bankruptcy has been filed. The attorney who he beleives is handling it is out of the office today. I checked with the court records in 2 districts, but cannot find any filing under Advanced Video Systems. It may be filed under another name. I have an all- afternoon hearing. If I get out early I will check the County Clerk's Records to see if there is an assumed name filing. I have checked with the State and there is no NYS filing for a corp or llc.

Frank M. Como, Esq.

Sorry all with outstanding $$$.

Fleeced in Alabama

Username: Stancalif

Post Number: 5
I am another one fleeced by AVS. They have $2,732 of my money for a JVC 52". I have contacted the Upstate NY BBB and am willing to do anything else to resolve this situation.

Fleeced in California

William Alvin
Unregistered guest
Hello all,
I'd be more than happy to provide all the information I have concerning my problems w/AVS. I was fortunate to eventually receive all my $$ back, but I understand what you are all feeling and going through.

Good luck and God bless,
Bill

Unregistered guest
Hello All.
For AVS to claim bankruptcy, that is still Fraud! What *&$%!!! to take the easy way out of this situation! Really makes me mad to know what all we are doing to try and get our hard earned money back and they are goign to take that route. walk away with all our money! I am not about to step down if that is the case.. He has $3300 of our money and I am not resting until i see that back!!!

I left a message with that detective that you told us to call, Rhodes.... Never called me back but left my number and information.. Keep updating me on what more i can do to help!
thanks!

Anonymous

Unbelievable... I too have been swindled for 3192.75. Not long ago I have spent the last two years deployed in Afghanistan fighting on behalf of every citizen of this country. Now look what happens to the money I made, I am being robbed!!! By a NEW YORKER of all people!!! I tell yah if I don't see my money in short order by him I'm going there. I have a friend that is an owner-operator and trucks to the east coast each week, mainly NYC. Ralph Olson is 56yrs old, his son Steve has also worked for AVS and has a different address. I need to see this big operation of 22yrs. I have already spoken to my fathers attorney and this situation does not look good for retribution any time soon, if at all. This attorney is friends with someone in the FBI here. He said the best thing is to work it out with him but this Ralph wont even communicate. I have his residential phone number and he won't answer or return calls. Sons phone is disconnected. This guy is going down and I hope it is not with my money because his Judge will hear from me loud and clear. Federal Banko protection was not created to cover and excuse a crime. I am certain there is criminal intent here, he better have a long list of satisfied customers on these big screen TVs. Well I am burning to get out the door. I have to see him with my own two eyes to what he has done with all this missing money!!!

Post Number: 7
All with AVS Problems- How about freezing his bank account so he can't run off with all the money in the account.
ADVANCED VIDEO SYSTEMS
19 ROOTS LANE
OWEGO, NY 13827-2736

BANK:
TSB BANK INC.
1 MAIN STREET
SPENCER, NY 14883
(607) 687-3209

ROUTING: 021308642

ACCOUNT: 3360881

BENEFICIARY: ADVANCED VIDEO SYSTEMS

Stan

pissed off Customer
Unregistered guest
Hello ALl.
Well I just recieved a phonecall back from Detective Rhodes which Im sure you all have too.. SO Raloh Olsen has cleaimed Bankruptcy. Apparentely he told me that in the end they are trying to get us at least the minimum % of our money back. He gave me Ralh Olsens Lawyers name so you can all call him and see how to make sure we are put on a list to get money back. He told me that there are atleast 50 people around the states that have filed fraud against this company.
Below is Ralph's laywers information. Please let me know the name of any attorny you guys are going in on, because I would like to participate.
thanks.

Mark Weiermiller
607-733-8866

Unregistered guest
Folks;

Today, 10/16/2004, I spoke with investigator Rhodes about what is happening with the investigation into Mr. Olsen's business & business practices.

Investigator Rhodes tells me that Mr. Olsen is in the middle of filing for Bankruptcy, and that that some 50 people have been have been affected by this. Mr. Olsen's lawyer, Mark Weiermiller [(607) 733-8866], is filing for Mr. Olsen.

The Attorney Generals Office is determining if charges should be filed against Mr. Olsen. Assistant Attorney General Mike Danaher [(607) 721-8771] is pursuing this investigation.

Investigator Rhodes thinks that Mr. Olsen's filing has merit, and that Mr. Olsen intends that refund as much as he can to all his 'customers'. Sadly though, it sounds as if we are low men on the totem pole when it comes to who gets paid first.

I will be contacting Assistant Attorney General Mike Danaher in an effort to clarify what happens next. I'm still thinking that there's more here than just an honest mistake, though.

Regards;

Patrick

JNThames
Unregistered guest
From Fleeced in Alabama,

Here's the guy the NYS Bar Assn. recommended. I'm hiring him to protect my interest here.

Frank M. Como. wrote:

In regard to the other questions posed by Nathan, I cannot tell at this point in time what might be involved in representing you. My last email gave you some of my thoughts if the had been a bankruptcy filed.

In regard to my charges, it is still too soon for me to even begin to guess. This is a type of matter that I would not take on a contingency basis. All that I know at this point is the amounts each of you have paid to AVS. I don not even know who AVS is.

Once I get an overall view of what is currently happening, I will bee in a better position to give you a "guessimate". My hourly charges are $150.00 and my paralegals charge at $75.00. I would require a retainer and bill you as our time and disbursements are spent, first offsetting time against the retainer. Here are some of the other charges that we mighrt incurr:

We may need to get an accountant involved to review the books. I do not know what to anticipate for those charges.

Court fees depend on the court or courts involved. If we litigate in State court, I would expect the court fees to be under $500. That is true also for Federal Court. We may end up in both if a bankruptcy is filed after we start a civil action. Ther would be no court charges to us for any criminal proceedings brought against whomever is AVS.

I would assune that during the course of discovery there would be depositions. Depending on the nature and length, the costs of the transcripts could run anywhere from $100 to several thousand.

However I stress that at this juncture, it is just too soon for me to tell. You may want to contact other people that you know who are in the same situation and proceed with multiple plaintiffs.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

Frank M. Como, Esq.
440 Waverly Street
Waverly, NY 14892-0111
(607) 565-2461

Unregistered guest
Folks;

Here's Mark Weiermiller's email address:
mweiermiller@zifflaw.com

Pat

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

Let me add one more hapless soul to the list of people who were taken by this piece of sh*t! Fortunately (I guess), I was only screwed out of $1272 for a Sony 36" set.

I discovered this website just a few minutes ago and have left messages for Investigator Rhodes and Mark Weiermiller (Olsen's attorney) and have spoken to Assistant Attorney General Mike Danaher.

According to Mr. Danaher, the appropriate thing to do at this time is to file a complaint form with his office.

Good luck to all.

Screwed2
Unregistered guest
A little more info regarding our common plight:

Apparently Mr. Olsen has expressed a desire to repay those customers whose money he has, BUT, bankruptcy laws being what they are, any payments made within 90 days (I think) of a bankruptcy can be called back by the courts for pro-rated distribution among the creditors of the bankrupt company. Coincidentally, this same law is forcing our company to repay $25,000 paid to us for work done for ENRON within 90 days of their declaring bankruptcy. That's one hell of a law, isn't it?

It looks like we all just sit and wait and see what percentage of our loss will be reimbursed. I would think that filing a complaint with the New York Attorney General's office should at least get your name on the list of creditors.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
To Screwed2 and All:

Regarding bankruptcy practices. The 90 days that Screwed2 is speaking of is designed to protect all creditors from 'preferential payments'. That is, if a company knows it is going bankrupt, it might elect to pay some of its more preferred vendors first and let the others fight for a percentage.

I don't think this is the issue here. We were all customers, not creditors.

As a vendor I have gone through this before; and hired a bk attorney to represent me. I think this is different.

The one thing that I am fearful of for all of you who are out money, is that there is a trust attorney involved who will get paid off the top.

So, in theory, all the money minus attorney and court fees should be repaid.

One final thought. This is not a business that simply failed, this is FRAUD!! There should be criminal complaints that take precedent. I know for a fact that it is fraud because I caught them in a lie saying they had the Samsumg HLP5674W months before it was even manufactured!!

Good luck to all.

Robb Murdock

Username: The_rocks1

I too was screwed out of about $3200 from back in August. What steps do I need to take?

I see
The sheriffs dept in Tioga.
BBB
Attorney General
Other attornies

Whatever I can do count me in.

Post Number: 8
To all-As you know, I have been screwed out of
$2732 by AVS.
So far, I have contacted the Upstate NY Better Business Bureau, filed a Formal Complaint with the NY Attorney General's Office, Called and spoke to Investigator Rhodes and received the same info as everyone else from him, and called and left a message for Ralph Olson's Lawyer Mark Weiermiller (who never got back to me).

I am concerned about now hiring a $150/hr lawyer whose charges to me can exceed the amount I have already lost to AVS. I wasn't impressed by his letter listing all of the potential charges.

Am I being paranoid?? I guess I just don't trust lawyers after being burned a few times.

Stan Wolf
stanwolf@sbcglobal.net

JNThames
Unregistered guest
Just off the phone with Como. He said he talked to Weiermiller, Olsen's attorney. Weiermiller said Olsen was going to pay each of us 75%, wait 90 days, then file banckruptcy. Said they were doing this because of pressure from so many complaints to the AG's office.

Como said he knew Weiermiller personally and recommended he could write a letter for a couple hundred dollars that would help emphasis this pressure.

After all, they did take my money for a unit that had never been built (fraud). Then told me other orders had gotten in before mine when the delays started.

Anyone willing to pitch in and get your name with mine on the letter?

Let me know.

jnthames@mchsicom

I've created a complaint to:
http://www.fraud.org

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

The attorney Generals Office http://www.oag.sate.ny.us

and the NY BBB

I've left a message but received no response yet:
Investigator Casey Rhodes of the Tioga Sheriffs Dept. 607-687-1010

Assistant Attorney General Mike Danaher 607-721-8771

Left a message and e-mailed:
Mark Weiermiller mweiermiller@zifflaw.com 607-733-8866

I just did this today, so I haven't received any response.

Post Number: 3
Just received my mail.

Received a refund check for $2227.40. I spent $3182. The check says at the bottom left:
Refund paid in full
check valid for 30 days only.

Any comments on this? It is not in full, and needless to say is not satsifying. If is cashed though, I'm assuming I am agreeing to taking the loss. If I wait to fight to get the rest of the money, then the 30 days will expire, and then may not receive any refund.

The letter states:
It is with deep regret that I write to inform you that after 22 years, our business has ceased operations and will not be able to fill your order. Furthermore, due to our financial difficulties and circumstances byeond our control, we are unable to fully refund your payment; however, we are able to return to each of our customers approximately 70% of the amount paid. As such, pleas find the enclosed check in the amount of $2227.40

Unregistered guest
another site of scammed persons

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2458152#post245 8152

I was informed about this site and would like to add my name to the unending list. I was also 'defrauded', the only word for this action.

I also was sent a check for 70% of my original amount, with the 'regretful' letter.

Is this just another twist to the AVS's career of scamming people.

I still have not received any calls from any lawyer represented in this forum. Is there truly a bankruptcy action or not?
As I said on the other forum I will not rest until we get our FULL refund or we know that AVS/OLSON/KNAPP is legally defunct.

Clarence Isaacks
ikeisaacks@4dv.net

Duped-By-AVS
Unregistered guest
Gents -

Well, it seems as though we're all stuck between that rock and the hard place. Saturday I received my "refund" check for 70% of the $3160 that AVS owes me. I, too wondered what this was all about. I just got off the phone with Mike Danaher of the NY State Atty General's office. As we all expected, Ralph Olson and AVS are filing for bankruptcy, but they are waiting 90 days before doing so. Doing this allows us to keep our 70% refund - if they had to file before the 90 days is up, we may have HIS creditors coming after US for this money. Mr. Danaher called it some sort of "preferrential transfer", and the companies he still owes money to will look at it as, "Hey, why are THEY getting paid and we're not?". According to Mr. Danaher, I guess we can do nothing but sit and wait at this point. Believe me, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you - I want my remaining 30%! But for some reason, this stupid Bankruptcy law tells us we have to wait for the remainder (if we get any more at all) until the proceedings are over. Mr. Danaher explained to me that if we tried to push this and get the rest of our money now, Olson may be forced to file Bankruptcy earlier, thus putting our 70% refund in jeopardy of attack from his other creditors. Mr. Danaher is sending me a formal complaint to fill out, then after the 90 days, he will pursue it further to see if we get anything else. Hence, our "rock and a hardplace". If you want to be put on this list, and get the formal complaint paperwork, I'd suggest getting in touch with Danaher - his number is (607) 733-8866. Good luck to us all!

Nate
sinatrakid@hotmail.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
To: DupedByAVS and ALL

INTERESTING !!!!

I am familiar with the preferential payment provision of bankruptcy having been a vendor in one of my customer's bankruptcies. That actually makes sense.

What I find strange is that Ralph hasn't actually 'filed' for bankruptcy yet, stating that he wants to be our advocate and give us 70 percent of our money and then he will wait the 90 days and then file bankruptcy.

Gee, what a great guy!!! Actually, there is nothing to keep him from returning the 70 percent, keeping the 30 percent and not filing BK at all!

Remember this is not a legitimate business; but from what I can gather, rather a proven scam artist at work.

The normal scam is to hold your money for a period of time then return it, making money on the float; and sometimes keeping a 10 percent 'cancellation fee'.

Now, he keeps 30 percent!

Another fact is that he has no contractual obligation NOT to file BK tommorrow. Even if you have received the 70 percent check, if he files BK on the 89th day after writing your check, the BK courts will indeed come after you. It is the obligation of the BK trust attorney to get back as much as he possibly can in order to supply the trust with the maximum amount of funds to pay each creditor a fair amount (and of course to feed the law firms first!).

I know it might be compelling to take the 70 percent and lick our wounds; but know that if he does file BK before 90 days, you may be ordered to return the money to the trust; and if he does not file BK at all, then he has your 30 percent and starts over again.

I keep coming back to the notion that this is not a legitimate business on hard times, it is fraud!!!!

I was lucky and got my money back already. If I were still out the money, I would have a legal cause of action to file criminal charges. I think that would shake him to hock everything he has to stay out of jail. Plus a criminal filing doesn't require a lawyer; and hence doesn't cost anything.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish all good luck.

Robb Murdock

Post Number: 5
If someone cashes his/her 70% refund check, does that prohibit that person from filing a criminal complaint with the AG's office? If so, I could understand the dilemma facing someone who's waiting for a refund.

I feel bad for everyone who's still out so much money, but I also feel that every effort should be made by the Attorney General to prosecute these scam artists.

It seems to me that the operators of AVS should be arrested regardless of whether or not the victims of this fraud got their money back.

IT'S STILL FRAUD!

Isn't there one lawyer out there that acts on principle?

Another question: Even if charges are brought against these guys, and they eventually get convicted with a crime, how do the victims get their money back? Don't the victims still need to file a civil lawsuit to get all their money back? Then there's the lawyer's fees on top of that.

Sorry for the incoherency here, I'm just frustrated about these kinds of criminals getting away with it so often. I was a victim of identity theft a few years ago, and law enforcement made no effort to go after the thieves.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 340
I just stumbled on this thread and wish the best for all of you. I sincerely hope everyone duped by this outfit will get all your money returned. What drew me to this thread was the name - Advanced Video Systems (AVS). As I was reading through this, it sounded so familiar. Now I know why. Its quite near where I live, about 5 miles away actually. I really know nothing of the store, (if you can call it that), I just recognized the name. Owego is a very small town and judging by the AVS address, I wouldn't be suprised if there is actually no such store - more likely just "selling" out of his house. Maybe I'll drive by there and see what gives.

Best of luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
To: Brian Schindler and All:

I think that technically, if you cash the 70% check, then the charges that you file are only for the 30% plus whatever punitive damages that the court would see fit to levy. Given the high ticket price of these TVs that would still be in felony territory.

If convicted, I believe that the court would order him to pay; althought at that point he has his own criminal attorney to pay first.

The idea of filing charges in my mind would be to show how serious the plaintiffs are in preserving a principle.

I keep thinking that if I were Ralph, and facing a criminal conviction and being in my late 50s, I would want to do whatever I could to get the charges dropped and keep from going to court to possibly face jail time.

Regarding the partial payment, I would definitely cash the 70% check. That simply limits my claim to the 30%.

I would also fight any attempts from a bankruptcy trust attorney to try to get my 70% back. A BK attorney acting on your behalf costs money; but I'll bet that research into the New York BK laws would prove that a refund to a customer when no actual product was delivered would not constitute a 'preferrential payment'. I would petition the BK trust to dismiss with prejudice on that basis.

Still, its fraud; and it irks me that a crime has been committed under the guise of a normal bankruptcy.

THE BOTTOM LINE
It seems that there are two basic choices;

1. Take the 70 percent and hope that's the end of it.
2. Take the 70 percent and file criminal charges.

I think it's a matter of resolve. At what point does one, just walk away ?

My hope is that regardless of the actions, he is stopped from continuing this fraud.

Good luck.

Robb Murdock

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hey Sem:

If you drive by, how bout taking a photo of the AVS STORE world headquarters!

I think we'd like to see their giant warehouse, sales and accounting departments <g>

Thanks,

Robb Murdock

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 341
Robb,

Sorry, no digital camera. Maybe I can pick one up at AVS, (sorry, probably not funny).

I will take a ride and check out this address, but it will have to wait until the weekend. Much too dark by the time i get out of work. I'll report back.

Username: Chrismo16

Anyone cash their "refund" check? What are you guys doing regarding the outstanding 30%?

Post Number: 9
The silence on this board has been deafening regarding getting back the remaining 30%. Has everyone given up??

I for one did call the bank to verify funds, and cashed the check. I also formally filed a complaint with the New York DA.

Stan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Stan Wolf:

I too hear that silence. Perhaps its the sobering acceptance of a grim reality. I imagine everyone is too sick of all of this to continue the fight. I don't blame them. I am lucky to have gotten out before the crash; and I fear that without a fight, there is nothing to keep this guy from not even filing BK; and resurrecting this scam again.

I keep going back to the fact that this is not a business failure; but rather a fraud committed against honest people that will, in the end, go unabated.

I hope justice will be ultimately be served somehow.

Robb Murdock

poolandgolf
Unregistered guest
I'm with you Robb. I got all my money back but am still pissed off.

Jim

Username: Mikeporter

Accokeek, Md United States

Gents,

I, too, cashed my refund check and failed an official complaint with the OAG. Only time will tell if I'll see the balance....

Anonymous

AVS is back in business !!!!

Post Number: 10
Anonymous- How do you know? I tried to pull up their web page with no luck.

Stan

poolandgolf
Unregistered guest
I don't think they are back - perhaps confusing the name with the other Advanced Video systems cite.

Jim

Ralph Olsen
Unregistered guest
Hi, everyone. Happy new year to all of you. Thanks for your money!!!!

xxxxxxxxx
Unregistered guest
I placed my order last week and receive my TV today. I paid cash for it and the service was fantastic. I highly recommend people buy from AVS Store.

poolandgolf
Unregistered guest
Well xxxxxxxx I havent heard from you since I sold you that bridge in Brooklyn - how you doin?????

Ralph Olsen
Unregistered guest
I have a great time doing business with xxxxxxxxx. Come visit my new web site. You won't find anywhere that has better price than me. Please remember, you have to pay cash in order to have this good low price. CASH CASH CASH CASH !!!! Gurantee 100% refund.

xxxxxxxxx
Unregistered guest
You are welcome.

John_Maj
Unregistered guest
I know this isn't much of a consolation, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I purchased a 42" Panasonic plasma from them about a year ago, advanced them the cash, and while it did take 3-4 weeks longer than they said, I did receive the item and it's great.

I'm local (Ithaca, NY, about an hour away) and went to their place to pick up the TV. It's definately the house where one of them live (Howard?), but there is also a fairly large electronics shop building in the back (converted garage maybe?) that they work out of and deliver out of.

I've met them face-to-face. Just my opinion, but I really don't think they were crooks, intentionally trying to rip people off. They seemed more like the kind of guys that fix your old tube TV or install Direct TV dishes, not that run a mass merchandise operation. Pretty simple, humble folks. My guess is that they just got in over their heads. Also, if you imagine them as rich fat cats partying on your money, that's definately not the case. It was a very rural, humble dwelling, well-used cars in the driveway, etc.

Definately not trying to excuse them - just paint the picture I got in actually visiting the place and meeting them.

I know intent really doesn't matter legally, but if you're steaming about losing money, maybe this will make you feel at least a little better. That's my hope in writing it.

John, Ithaca, NY

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
To: Jon_Maj:

Thanks for your feedback. I would accept that totally if it wasn't for the fact that I caught them in a lie.

They took my money saying that they had 3 of the Samsumg HLP5674W's in stock. After they received the money then they said that they sold the last of those three the day before; and they would have to re-order.

Of course they didn't realize that the Samsung HLP5674W would not even be manufactured until several months later.

I caught them in a lie; and therefore draws my ill conclusion about them.

Robb Murdock

Unregistered guest
So Ralph - how is it that you are back in business so soon??? POST your URL for us!

Jim

Ralph Olsen
Unregistered guest
Jim,

What is an URL? I don't know this internet stuff. All I know is TV, cash, and 100% refund.

CASH CASH CASH CASH !!!!

poolandgolf
Unregistered guest
Ralph,

URL = internet address. You know, where I can go see what 12 plasma big screen T.V.'s I will buy.

Jim

Ralph Olsen
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Should internet address = IA? Again, I don't know anything about internet. TV, Cash, and 100% Refund is all I know.

CASH CASH CASH CASH !!!!

Anonymous

AVS is out of business again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, It's been close to 90 days since the AVS fiasco began. We all received our 70% checks at about the same time and AVS (out of the goodness of their heart) were going to wait 90 days before declaring bankruptcy to "protect us"
Any news of that happening or was this whole thing a bunch of BS.

Stan

Username: Econdit

Although it is true that I did a transaction with AVS, and did receive the displays, I need to point out that both of the previous posts from "Eric_condit" which *claim* to be from me are not from me at all.

I only discovered that these posts existed because I did a Google search on my name. I am the real Eric Condit and have not made any posts regarding this transaction. Decide for yourself who you think may have made these fraudulent posts and draw your own conclusions...

Anonymous

Screw you!!!! Eric Condit.

Username: Chrismo16

Did anyone receive the bankruptcy court letter recently?

Anonymous

Yes, I received the bankruptcy court letter and got all my money back. Plus, Ralph shipped me the TV that I ordered finally. AVS-Store and Ralph are the best !!!!

poolandgolf
Unregistered guest
Right Anonymous, all of us received our T.V's and a consoliation check for $10,000.

What a crock!!!!!

Anonymous

I am glad everyone received their TV. Ralph, you are the best!!!! The TV is great. The consoliation check is even better.

Anonymous

Screw all of you !!!!

Unregistered guest
Well AVS and Ralph (Howard)your treatment of other customers just cost you a pretty big order. In '99 I ordered a camera for the government, you offered a good price, the camera arrived and all was well. A couple of years before that I ordered from you the new Panasonic DVCpro, it was a $7,000 purchase at the time. We made the deal, the camera arrived a week later. Sorry to see you fall so far from what, I believe started as ethical standards. I tried to find your website last week as I am purchasing four Panasonic DVX100a's and a Panasonic HD, model not yet determined. I was going to talk to you first, but not now. I can understand a complaint or two based on a misunderstanding, but what I'm reading here is over the top.

Ralph Olsen
Unregistered guest
Chuck122341,

This is Ralph. I am still in business. Call me at 1-800-FREE-TV. Delivery always on time and 100% refund gurantee. All the posts here were lie. Screw all these people. I am a honest business man. People are so cheap. They want to buy good stuff with super low price. Go tell them to dream on. There is no such thing.

Anonymous

Did anyone get their money back? I just get my money back. Call this number if you have not get your money back yet.

1-dmb-fck-nggr
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us