Suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4740

Do the administrators of this forum have any suggestions that would not allow another incident such as adrenaline's intrusion into the forum? While most of us are not prudes, that material was over the top and stopped more than a few of us from posting yesterday. I'm afraid the correspondence on eCoustics is in jeopardy if there isn't something done to keep the forum a place we want to meet.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 142
Jan - to the best of my knowledge there is only one Administrator of this forum and he does not have any moderators. That is a problem. Had there been a moderator on line, he could at least have taken action to have the offending posts deleted right away. The other problem is that this forum, unlike most others, allows for anonymous posting. It seem to me that the Administrator could change that; I mean it's technologically possible to exclude unregistered posters. Of course that wouldn't have stopped adrenaline; apparently he registered. I'm sure that the Administrator has eliminated adrenaline as a member. But it seems to me that the Administrator should be able to do more. He should be able to have adrenaline's postings traced back to his computer, identify him and take some kind of legal action.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3266
Agreed! How does one get to be a moderator?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1088
He'd need a few moderators for each forum, and there are a lot of forums! I know Jan and Art post to many forums, so they would be good candidates. My interest is mostly limited to a few forums...

But having moderators would be good!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 334
On the bright side, I was otherwise occupied and missed the hoopla. Sounds like a good thing, though. We've had disagreements, occasional threats that usually blow over and calm down and certainly spirited disagreements but it sounds like this one went far beyond any of the above. I would certainly support Jan and Art, John A and Peter, I think we need a level headed Canadian. (Moreover Peter, I see your hockey team is about to lose its star so you'll have a lot more time to give to the forum, right? LOL)

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 341
I missed what had happened. I see "ardenaline" on a lot of posts, but the comments must have been deleted. I think there have been a few too many issues that turn a lot of people off. There are a lot of good people here with some very good opinions; some are different than mine, but that's what keeps it interesting. If these problems aren't addressed, I'm sure a lot of the regulars will leave.
I pretty sure it's tedious work to adequitely moderate a message board (esp. one as big as this), but it can be done if several regulars have the time and interest. The more people involved, the less for each individual.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 144
I suggest that those of you who have an interest in becoming a moderator contact the Forum Administrator at admin@ecoustics.com. I suspect that, if he's inclined to take on one or two moderators, he'll want to interview those interested. He'll probably want to ensure that those interested will be: committed, available, fair and impartial, computer literate and of course willing to do it gratis. He may want to do a little research, e.g., go back through the postings of those who volunteer to see who's been a butt. (Though, I think all of us have been a little bit of a butt at one time or another.)

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 473
Hey my kid walked by and seen some of those grotess pictures,I know we have our little scabbles,but that was absolutely reprehinsible.We have do something to make sure that does not happen again.Its lots of kids that are on the net and that is what we dont want them to see.Jimvm certainly dont think it is anyone that is normally on this forum and at least most of us would never dillute this forum in that fashion.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4755

I don't know what the answer might be to stop someone like adrenaline. I know what happened yesterday could affect the Home Audio forum, and a large portion of eCoustics in general, in a negative manner. It was a one time instance at this point, but there have been repeated cases where entire threads have been pulled due to improper content. Unfortunately, I have to admit to being involved in several fights and "disagreements" that led to a few threads being removed. I'm not one for censorship; everyone should have their say within the guidelines of the forum. However, the forum has rules and the rules have been stretched to their limits lately.

Here's an email I received after yesterday's problems:

"I'm sure you've all seen what's happening at Ecoustics. I would like
to suggest moving to the Audio Review discussion forum. They have
active moderators there and a very knowlegeable and well behaved
membership. What do you think?"

At the moment I think eCoustics is a comfortable forum to meet with people I've come to know well. I'd hate to see a change, but, on the otherhand, something should change to keep this a comfortable place to exchange ideas.

Would the administrator please weigh in with ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
I think it should be a lesson to us to quit taking this forum for granit,and quit arguing amongst each other like we have been.I do think that we have made strides as of late,It really puts it in prospective all the bickering we were all doing,that compared to what happened yesterday.I have seen other forums and are heavely moderated,I dont think thats what any of us want,unfortunately we are big part of what happened yesterday.Anyone on here could have looked on here in the past few weeks and seen they we were being very nasty to one another.That is something we are gonna have to work on so a guy like that cant come on and wreck what we have been building I know and feel partly responsible for some of the actions that have taken place over the past month.I just think that we need to value our forum more than we do,because no other forum on the net has as much freedom of speach as we do.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 148
I spend time on five or six other audio fora, including forums.audioreview.com. I don't think any forum can stop every objectionable post before it is posted but when a forum uses moderators, those posts are eliminated fairly quickly. And therein, I think, lies the main method of combatting them. The folks who post that kind of tripe are only looking for attention. If their posts are quickly seen and eliminated by a moderator, it takes the wind out of their sails and they tend to go away.

I'd like to see ecoustics.com prohibit anonymous posts, i.e., posts by non-members. That's done on every other forum I spend time on and it tends to minimize idiocy.

As far as sparring between forum members is concerned, that kind of thing goes on in every forum to some extent. It got so bad at forums.audioreview.com that the Administrator established within the Off Topic/Non-Audio grouping a section called "The Steel Cage." There, anything goes except racial slurs and profanity. Audio and non audio topics are allowed. So, if two members want to call each other stupid, they can meet in The Steel Cage. I guess that's one way of dealing with it.

I've had limited contact with the ecoustics forum Administrator in the past and he seems like a decent enough chap. I'm sure he's aware of the problem and I suspect he's looking into ways of dealing with it. I do agree that he needs to weigh in on this issue here on this thread before folks begin looking elsewhere for their audio forum entertainment.

Username: Admin

Post Number: 579
I appreciate everyone's concerns and would hate to see users leave this forum because of one or two malicious posters.

I have always considered using moderators and requiring registration, but hoped it wouldn't be necessary.

I will value all of your suggestions and take them into consideration.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 150
Thanks for weighing in. My sense of things is that the problem is a little more extensive than "one or two malicious posters." It seems that more and more threads stray away from audio discussion and end up with members sparring with each other, even name calling, over differences of opinion. I'm as guilty as the next guy but I really believe that most of the members would like to see some moderation. No one wants censorship but having moderators who could "steer" the discussion back to the topic would, I believe, be welcomed by everyone. Moreover, having moderators active on the forum would allow for much faster action to deal with malicious posters. Adrenaline pretty much ruined an entire evening of posting for everyone on the forum.

What are the downsides of requiring registration? Every other audio forum that I'm aware of requires it. I believe it keeps pranksters to a minimum. True, it probably wouldn't have stopped adrenaline but it would cut down some of the other mischief that goes on, e.g., assumption of others' identities, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 779
I would suggest glasswolf and Jan to be moderators, since there are two main sides to this forum and I know both of them are mature and responsible. That is of course if they want to do it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
Hey,hold on now Jimvm its nothing wrong with straying away from the topic for a moment as long as we go back to the topic.That would be killing the way we relax on here,which is one of the things that is different about this forum that makes it enjoyable to some people.I think not having a moderator is what makes this forum unique,and most of us dont want one,but the adrenaline thing can not happen again.I agree with the steel cage concept that sort out most of the arguing and bickering,but a full time moderator no I dont agree on it.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 152
You say, ". . . most of us don't want one. . ." How do you know that?

It may be a moot point anyway. The forum Administrator owns the forum and may not be inclined to put it to a membership vote. If he feels a moderator is warranted, he'll recruit one. If he feels it is not warranted, he'll not.

Straying "for a moment" is not, IMO, what's happening. IMO too many threads stray too far from topic for too long. I think a moderator, if judicious in when and how he steps into a thread, would benefit the forum. That's just my opinion.

Regarding "the adrenaline thing," what is your solution if not a moderator?

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
What do you mean straying on threads,you seem to be the only one complaining about that,Furthermore your rarely on here you dont hear anyone else commenting on it,we dont want to be on here like robots like those other dull forums with a bunch a know it alls.Its a lot of us that put in long hours posting each day. Who are you with 152 posts trying to change everything thing around?

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 153
Are you blind? When adrenaline was trashing the forum, several members posted messages wanting to know where the moderators were.

You don't want a moderator. Well, I happen to think the forum would benefit from one. You think someone has to have a certain number of posts to be entitled to an opinion on this subject? I hate to break the news to you young fella but it just doesn't work that way.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1295
Relax, Tawaun. Jimvm doesn't have to prove anything (although he already has).

"but a full time moderator no I dont agree on it."

The conversations going off topic is one of the last reasons I would ever want a moderator for. I would like one to clear posts that are in poor taste such as those that flame other members. I also dislike the threads that go beyond 100 posts in which I have to wait ages before I can access the last post made (which shouldn't have been made regardless). Those threads stay at the top of the forums relentlessly as well.

I definitely would like to see some moderators around here. It would improve the forums drastically and possibly make them more pleasurable to post on.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 154
I should clarify my position about straying off topic. Straying off topic, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on who the threadstarter was and how far they're willing to see it stray. If the threadstarter goes off topic with everyone else and he/she doesn't have a problem with it, fine; that's a situation where a moderator should not intervene. But, if someone begins a thread about receivers and two other people, in an effort to make an analogy, begin talking about cars (I've seen it happen many times) and the threadstarter would like to see the thread get back to receivers, a moderator can be of some help.

In any case where posters go off topic to trash each other, a moderator would be useful.

Like I said, a moderator who uses his/her authority judiciously would be good. Every other forum uses them and they generally have less problems (flaming and personal attacks) than this forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
I agree about the trashing,but going off topic Idont think so,I doubt many people will use that as a reason to have moderator and I must say im totally against that.What adenaline did I was just as upset about that as anyone else"My Kids Seen That Garbage"so yeah I can deffinately understand a moderator in that case.Yes the 100+ threads are tiresome,but in most cases it means that we are being very deep on a topic,yeah sure not all of the time,but most of the time.And I would never be blind to what that idiot did Jimvm,I am well aware of the damage he caused.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 816
I definitely agree jimvm.
and Tawaun, what is this?? : What do you mean straying on threads,you seem to be the only one complaining about that,Furthermore your rarely on here you dont hear anyone else commenting on it,we dont want to be on here like robots like those other dull forums with a bunch a know it alls.Its a lot of us that put in long hours posting each day. Who are you with 152 posts trying to change everything thing around?

you have been nothing but rude and condescending to people who disagree with you since you got here. Jimvm may not have the nearly 500 posts you have, but he has been here longer. Who cares though, this is what a forum is all about. Disagreements without personal attacks, which you have not adhered to since you started. So I understand why a moderator scares you, but it is definitely for the best.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1142
I think that having moderators would be good, so long as they don't abuse the power.

I think that anonymous postings should be banned.

I think that people should only be able to register with a valid email address (e.g. you receive a confirmation message with an activation link when you register).

I think that if that resets the post count, some memebers will freak! :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1143
s/memebers/members/

Sorry.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 873
Or at least threads only available to members and others available to all.

Bronze Member
Username: Stars

Post Number: 45
you guys should have a moderator or something in the games forums because some people get off topic or they say, "oh your just a bunch of stupid kids and don't know what valid means.", like in the Gameboy thread...but yeah I agree with the there should be moderators stuff.

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1322
yeah

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2582
I don't think a moderator is necessary but I do think you should have to be a
registered member with a legitimate email address attached to it and no Anonymous
postings should be allowed. That should stop a lot of useless posts that cause
problems. If a registered user gets out of line to the point of no return then
he or she can be banned and there ip blocked.

So far it seems when there is an issue the admin takes care of it when we post here.

So I believe if you do the above that should work pretty well. If that does not do
the job you can allways add moderators later!

Those are just my oppinons on the subject.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1377
The problem with not having a moderator would deal with scenarios such as the one with 'adrenaline'. Delayed action caused many users to have to view the lewd pictures that were posted.

Additionally, the Admin does not have the capability to check every single new post. I have no idea what percentage of posts he is able to check daily, but I think it is safe to say it is not nearly half. Appointing a moderator would at least derate such a large task.

Have there been any updates on what the Admin's stance is on the matter of having a moderator or two?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us