Stop letting just anyone post, require everyone to register with a valid e-mail address

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 68
Why do you let just anyone post messages?
There is no required log-in as most forums have. There is a REAL problem with these 'kids' that post with different handles.

Are you just trying to get the count up for your ad supporters, is that the reason?

You really need to take a look at this since it only hurts these forums and discredits them altogether.

Maybe that is the reason there are so many one timers!

Username: Admin

Post Number: 418
Thank you for your suggestion. We are considering registration requirements for posting.

Anonymous posting is currently enabled to encourage quick, easy, open discussions, and to welcome new users.

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 69
" encourage quick, easy, open discussions "
and easy access for these 'kids' that have nothing better to do then post nonsense!

Please re-think this, you would have a better forum if these 'problem children' (and NOT necessary ones under 25 either) are eliminated!

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 72
Take a look towards the end of this thread to see what I mean;

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?34579/94117

Username: Admin

Post Number: 430
The LCD thread is cleaned up.

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 75
Untill next time!

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
>(
Hey, this is one of the few forums that does not require you to register, and since most sites with registration ask for personal stuff I don't feel comfortable giving away, I really enjoy these forums. I suggest that you do not require registration as you would make me, and many others, give away personal information to people who don't need it, just so we can chat online!!!!!!!!

your's truly,

bobby-joe,

an unregistered guest

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 351
While it is a definite possibility that some really strange and destructive people gain free access to open forums like this, being open is not such a bad thing:

1) People feel more free to post anonamously until they either go away, or see a need to become a more permanent contributor.

2) And as bobby-joe (mc alaster) says, there's good reason to not trust giving out any personal info to any website, lest someone find out what she threw off the Tallahachie Bridge.

On ther other hand, there's good reasons to register:

1) One only needs to list the barest personal info...including practically nothing except a user name and an e-mail address. By regestering, if you happen to hang around for a while, nobody can make maladroit posts in your unregestered name.

2} You can receive e-mail notification to any thread you have posted--or any others you are interested in. But you must be regestered to do this.

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
wouldn't you like to know?

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
the last bobby joe was an impersonator!!!!!!! plz only listen to the REAL Bobby-joe

now that that is behind us, I agree with you John, I don't get why some forums require you to give out your full name, your home adress your phone number, your date of birth, etc. I usually only register for things if they ask for your
desired username and e-mail adress, but I only usually register if it is required to post

P.S.
whoever posted in my name, please do not or I will notify an administrator

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 77
Gee "bobby-joe" having a little problem with unregistered guests or is that your idea of "fun"??

Maybe if everyone was registered with a vaild e-mail address that wouldn't happen!
I belong to over 25 forums and the "personal information" asked is your age and e-mail address. That's it. Not one forum asked a real name, address and/or phone number though there are places to supply that if you want, but most don't.

Of course, if you have something to hide or just paranoid, you are probably better off in a closet where no one can find you!

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 78
BTW, there is very little credibility, if any to a "anonymous" post! Having just ANYONE post should not be a goal for any forum.

If you want that, go to a 'kiddie' chat room............

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
Yo VideoBruce, if you are posting on this website with an account, you were REQUIRED to give them your full name among other things.

oh, and yes I am having trouble with 1 unregistered guest.

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 79
Yes, I gave them 'A' full name...........

"and yes I am having trouble with 1 unregistered guest"

........guess the standard procedure isn't all that bad!

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
so your saying you didn't give them your full name?

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 80
I gave them 'A' full name. I'm not giving my real full name on a unsecure connection.

bobby-joe
Unregistered guest
Ummmm..... I think you are supposed to give YOUR full name. If you are not giving them your full name it is falsifying (sp?) information.... I think, correct me if i'm wrong

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 81
Your spelling is correct and since this isn't a sercure site, that's all that gets sent.

But, since a full name isn't necessary in most other forums, this should be no different.

AND, since the issue is registration with a TRUE POP e-mail address so it can be confirmed, the above isn't the issue!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us