Headphones for a 5.1 reciever

Username: Argus

Post Number: 5
Does anyboby have a suggestion on good headphones to go with a 5.1 reciever. I am not sure if it even matters since I only have two ears. Just looking for some suggestions on good quality headphones to buy, they don't have to be the best, just something that will keep the sound in, and the outside noise out.

Bronze Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 76
Save a lot of $$$ and buy a set of Sennheiser hd-201 for about $20. if you look around.

Read this review:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-201.php

Post Number: 6
Thanks, I just ordered them.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 78
Great! Let me know how you like them.

Post Number: 7
I do like them. The problem for me is that I do not know what to compare them to.
Just out of curiosity, if you were to recommend some truly high quality headphones to buy what would they be? And how would they compare to the sennheiser hd- 201 that you turned me on to?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 146
I'm glad you like them.

They're are 2 basic designs for headphones phones, opened & closed. Open headphones sound better in general, but are designed primarily for home use since the open design allows ambient sound to bleed in & out. Closed design are more versitile since they can isolate ambient noise from the outside world.

My favorite headphones are the Alessandro MS-1 (made by Grado Labs for Alessandro) for $99., they are an open design and best suited for home music/theater applications. I also like the Sennheiser HD497 at $60. (but you can get them as refurbs. for under $35.), The Grado SR60 at $69. & SR80 at $85.

For mobile over-ear headphones, I like the AKG K26P for about $50. & Sennheiser PX200 for about $60.

I don't have alot of experience with the in-ear models, but I'd stay away from brands like Sony, I own a pair of Sony EX71SL, and I don't like them much. If you decide to go with this style, stick with Shure or Etymotic.

Post Number: 8
I tried to post this once, I hope it does not come up twice.
First of all thanks for the help. Second, I am assuming that the Sennheiser hd-201 are a closed headphone,is that true?
Also how much better of a headphone is the Sennheiser hd497 than the hd201?
I really like the hd201 but now that I have had a taste I want more. But if I buy another set of phones I really want to step up.
I just need to know the difference between open and closed. If the 2 Sennheiser models and the Alessandro MS-1 are all open I would go with the best one, I just want to know that there will be a noticable change from the one's I now own.
Thanks again.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 152
If your budget is under $100., then cut to the chase and buy the Alessandro's for $99., you will not be disappointed.

If you want to spend a bit more you can buy the Sennheiser HD580's for $149., which may be slightly better, but cost 50% more.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 153
Oh yeah, the 201's are closed.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2012
I think there are circumaural headphones (closed) and supra-aural (open). I prefer open-type as well...

Hey Chris, so you really have the EX71s from Sony? Me too...and you're right, maybe it's me, but the bass seems overemphasized and the highs are somewhat tinny sounding...

And how do the Senns sound? I have a pair of HD280pros but they have a really laid back sound-I was expecting more from having paid so much...I guess I'll stick with my Pioneer HDJ-1000s for now, heh.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 154
The Sony's are just not that good. The Sennheiser HD201's are very-good, very-disciplined for a closed design at this price. If style is not an issue, it is my choice for a mobile set.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2015
I don't think I've seen a pair of Senn's that actually looked really good once they were on the person...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 157
Jexx, your a funny guy.

Post Number: 9
Thanks again Chris.

Post Number: 10
Ok Chris here I go again with the questions.
First of all I just got my Alessandro MS-1 headphones and they are great, I love them. But there is one problem, the cord is too short. I know that I can buy an extention cord but I am concerned about what it will do to the sound qualtiy. Do you have any suggestions? I am guessing that i should not get a real long cord but I am wondering if there is a certain type of cord that would be better.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 176
I'm glad you like the Alessandros'. The Grado 15' extension cable is $40. It is the best "reasonably" price cable out there.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=GREXT&loc=2

However if you want to save a few bucks, you can buy this 20' cable for about $9.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2109763

You won't experience any lose of quality with the Grados', nor do I think you'll experience any perceivable differnce in sound quality with the Radioshacks'.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Chris. I ordered the Grado cable, it seems to be compatible with the headphones. I would rather spend the extra $ to insure I will not lose any sound quality. These Alessandro's are just terrific. Thanks once again.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 179
It's not just compatible, Your Alessandro's are made by Grado, so it's a perfect match.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
If you don't mind I would like to pick your brain a little bit on what the best setting would be to listen to music through my headphones.
I have an Integra DTR-4.5 5.1 Channel Surround reciever. It has all of the latest in surround decoding and processing technology.
I am not sure if when listening through the headphones if I am getting anything but stereo sound. When I play the music with the multi channel setting the reciever LCD readout says that I am getting multi channel. When I put it in DVD mode the reciever LCD says the music is in stereo. Also while in DVD mode I can switch it to DVD mono if I want but when I try the other settings the LCD readout tells me that they are not available.
I hope this is making at least a little bit of sense. I am just trying to figure out if I am actually getting multi channel through a set of headphones? Or is it only possible to hear music in stereo through headphones?
The other wierd thing is when I listen to an SACD disc in comparrison to a standard stereo disc (I used the same album "Layla") the SACD definately sounds better than the standard version through the headphones. And the standard version of the same disc is also a remaster so it's not like I am listening to an old CD. But for whatever reason the SACD version just sounds way better.
Sorry if this sounds off the wall, i'm just trying to figure out the best way to set up my music to hear through my headphones.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 183
I found this explanation online, it seems to sum up the matter in plain english.

Super Audio CD uses a new and radically different technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range -- some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just can't hear on a normal CD. The Direct Stream Digital pulse train "looks" remarkably like the analog waveform it represents. More pulses point up as the wave goes positive and down as the wave goes negative.

My Marantz SR5400 has a proprietary, simulated "surround" headphone mode, however, it only simulates real, multi channel surround. In other words, two speakers=stereo...period. Your receiver (I'm unfamiliar with it, but it looks great!) might have something similar.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks as usual Christopher. That is kind of what I thought, I am new to the headphone thing, at least the higher quality phones, but I just do not see how you can get anything other than stereo sound with 2 speakers.

That explaination you posted also answers the question about the better sound comming from the SACD disc. Like I said I listened to the same album on a regular Cd and an SACD and the super audio disc sounded way better.

Do you have any SACD's? They are great, I always buy the hybrids so that I can also listen to them in my car if I want. Here is the web address of a great place to get them if you are interested.
http://www.sa-cd.net/home

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 189
No, I don't own a SACD player...yet. I appriciate the link, I'll look right into it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us