True 5.1 surround headphones

ndaher
Unregistered guest
Does anybody have recommendations, reviews, or opinions on the new wave of true 5.1 headphones that have flooded the audio market recently? The ones I'm referring to are the Zalman Theater 6's, Kinyo KY-100, and the Mentor 5.1 USB headphones. Of course if anyone knows of any others please let me know. I am hugely into 5.1 surround as far as movies go, however this is not always possible when traveling, or when it's late at night. Which is why this new technology greatly interested me. I've heard the bass on the Zalman's is lacking, does anyone know anything about the Kinyos? I've heard they are a bit better in bass, but how is the surround? I'm currently using a pair of Sony MDR-V6's (not V600) for movies and am extremely happy with them. If any 5.1 headphones sound even close to the quality than I will be satisfied.
Any info or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Lots to read, start here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/headphone/

ashkdgsahdfyiakwnbiasgdankmbwyhgdsa
Unregistered guest
if youre looking into true 5.1. even sennheiser and bose, the best makers for headphones havent just yet. but senn has an alternative available now which is the rs-65 makes absoloutly balanced sound perfect performance and low signal-noise levels. even though its only a stereo headphone, it still is srs compatible and wireless as well and expensive and still undeniably the best as of now.

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 57
And remember, most of them can't accurately reproduce the center channel.

Bronze Member
Username: Aspigler

Post Number: 16
I bought the Zalman 5.1 headphones. They do a good job on reproducing the 5.1 channels from movies, but i can't get rid of a background noise/hiss. I contacted them, and did as they suggested by disconnecting the analog cable between my dvd-rom player and the soundcard, and setting up the computer so that the sound card only reads the digital signal. BUt it is still there. I use a fairly cheap soundcard from innovision (a Hong Kong company) could it be due to the sound card?
any ideas would be appreciated.

Moo
Unregistered guest
I have the Kinyo headphones, and they are by far the best ive used, amazing audio, very comfortable, deffinatly recomend them.

Earman
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of Ear Force HPA headphones from Turtle Beach and think they sound great. They include an in-line amplifier, removable mic and volume controls for Front, Surround, Center and Sub. Also have a shaker for the sub. Here's the URL in case you're interested:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/earforce/

Unregistered guest
LTB has the best quality and technology. They also have a first in 2.4Ghz wireless true 5.1 headphones.
http://www.ltbaudio.com

Phil McCrevice
Unregistered guest
I have the Kinyo headphones as well. Excellent sound, had some problems caused by the cheapness of the wiring they give you, but that is easily resolved. I use the onboard audio on my motherboard, ALC655/AC'97. I love it.

cheema
Unregistered guest
I have on-board audio on my motherboard, so will i need a sound card for the Kinyo ky-100's? If not, then that means i only need to hook the headpohnes in the conventional green jack,yes?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2280
Yep, hook them up to your conventional green jack.

Anonymous

I'm looking for wireless. I don't want to jack into my pc just my main H/T system direct to my dvd player. any suggestions

Rumsfield
Unregistered guest
I have been looking for the perfect 5.1 headphones also, I currently own these:

1. Zalman ZM-RS6F 5.1
2. Kinyo KY-100 5.1
3. Turtle Beach EarForce X-51 5.1
4. Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA 5.1

Zalman ZM-RS6F 5.1:
-PROS: The Zalmans look cool and sound pretty good, other than the fact that they have no bass. They are ok on comfort, I would say tolerable. Low cost at USD $50.
-CONS: If you want bass avoid these. Microphone version available, but can't find them at brick and mortar store. No built-in surround sound speaker volume controls.

Kinyo KY-100 5.1:
-PROS: These sound good, and have plenty of bass. I found them very comfortable, even after 6 hours of use and longer! Low cost at USD $50.
-CONS: Slight static/hiss sound from the amp, but not annoying, after a while you don't mind it. NO built-in mic, or surround sound speaker volume controls.

Turtle Beach EarForce X-51:
-PROS: Small, and light. Comes with a built in mic, and surround sound speaker volume controls.
-CONS: Worst 5.1 headphones I have ever used! Nothing special here! Not that comfortable to wear, but more comfortable than the HPA's. Cost me USD $60, I wish I could get my money back.

Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA:
-PROS: Comes with a built in mic, and surround sound speaker volume controls. They sound good, but do not have near the bass that the Kinyo KY-100's have.
-CONS: Absolutely the least comfortable 5.1 headphones I have ever worn. They do not have enough cushion, and the headphones actually push on your ears, and this HURTS after about 20 minutes. Cost me $90, almost double the price of the Kinyo's or Zalman's.

SUMMARY: Everyone has their own opinon and needs, so there isn't always one set of headphones to rule them all. In my opinion the best pair are yet to be made. But, until then, The Kinyo's are my favorite, despite the lack of options(refer to CONS). The next pair I will buy, is a pair that I cannot find at my local computer store, or I would have owned them by now. Anyway, these look like a very good 5.1 headset:

Speed-Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones

http://www.medusa-usa.com/index.php

Remember everything above is my best OPINION, and if you disagree... TOO BAD!

Anonymous

Gues you have'nt seen the LTB True 5.1 headphones.

http://www.ltbaudio.com

They are the truest and best I've used

Username: Tustsegua

Petaling jaya, Selangor Malaysia

Post Number: 9
when you guys said 5.1 ..does that measn this headphones can only be used only at certain devices?
i thought speaker only have the term 5.1..when it comes to head phones..what does it means? im a noob.. forgive me ><

Username: Boe

Post Number: 1
I wish they had something online to show you how it connects to your sound card.

Unregistered guest
SPEAKER SETUPS (2.1 to 5.1)

Close to every headphone you'll come across is stereo. Stereo sound comes from 2 speakers as in a normal desktop speaker setup but this can also include a sub for base so you have 2.1 sound (2 for the speakers .1 for the sub). There are 4.1 (or simply 4) speaker setups, so you'll have 4 speakers (front right, front left, rear right, rear left). After this there is 5.1 which adds a middle speaker for better... high pitch sound in movies (treble) and such.

WHAT ARE 5.1 HEADPHONES REALLY?

5.1 headphones don't really have a 5.1 speaker setup, they can't because... well you can't glue speaker to the back and front of your head, what they do is simulate it by using 3 speakers on each side (could be more for added base). These 6 speaker work with a little bit of added software/hardware to make it feel as if sound were coming from all around you.

CABLES/CONNECTIONS/WHAT YOU NEED

Stereo headphones use one normal 1/8" analog out cable. I'm sure 4.1 uses 2 then (rear and front). 5.1 uses 3 though (front, rear and center).
Not any computer/audio device can play 5.1 sound or 4.1 sound for that matter. You have to have to have the right sound card or hub. I don't think a lot of onboard sound card come with 5.1 support. Take a look over at creative.com's "Sound Blaster" product if you don't have the right pluggins or if you just want to learn more. I have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook for my laptop and I think It's the greatest for laptop users.

Well that's my... 2 cents. Hope that helps. Email me if you have more detailed questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Tustsegua

Petaling jaya, Selangor Malaysia

Post Number: 19
you're an unregistered guest..how do i email you? i jsut wanna ask one more question..is akg k240 studio caps..oval or donut shape? i cant take the donut ones..my ear hurts after wearing it for less than 5 minutes..

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2722
Just click on his username for his email.

Username: Casavala

I've Got some Sony MDR-DS3000K Infrared Wireless Headphones. They connect by optical and L/R. Cost me £140 ($240). They do 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS perfectly. The only problem I find is that there is a very little hiss when the volume is at 0, but like that matters.

Username: Retrophuture

Do all surround headphones have different frequency range per speakers?

Because my have VERY lo-fi Rears and a weird Center. Why is that?

Username: Disruptive1

I would not recommend the SpeedLink Medusa Headset AT ALL. I bought mine about 10 months ago, and they just died on me today.

They feel ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS on your head, like ear muffs and the sound, AT FIRST, is decent as well.

The first time I bought mine I plugged the amp into the back of my computer and then the headset into the amp and the female part on the amp caved in. IT FREAKIN' CAVED IN!

Anyways, I send it back to Medusa and they replace it free of charge but I have to pay the postage and handling and their customer support is crap. I had to do everything over email; couldn't talk to anybody over the phone or anything like that.

About a month ago, I guess the amp died or something because all my headphones did was hiss. I couldn't hear anything else such as music. It was hissing and nothing else.

I went through the original packaging and found a cord that would let me bypass the amp. I plugged in my headset into the female part of the cord and plugged the cord into the proper colored holes in my sound card (green, black, yellow-orange, and pink).

Also, I've never got the microphone to work properly. It's a piece of crap, but it looks very nice and the piece that holds the mic is very flexible without being flimsey or loose.

Anyways tonight I got some hissing noise again. I thought it was my sound card but I used two other headsets (although both were 2.1) and they worked fine.

I wouldn't recommend this headset to anybody who wants to buy it. Waste of money. But it feels nice on your head, the microphone looks nice, and the packaging is all silky smooth inside.

Username: Audiophillie

Hey Rumsfield and anyone else who wants some advice. I won't claim to be an expert. But from reading Rumsfields review I can promise I know more then him. For one I don't need to spend money on every bad product on the market untill I find a good one.

HAHAHA I just noticed that no one has updated this post since 2007. If anyone does read this just know this...I have a decent amount of Audio/video know how and did a lot of research into surround sound headphones before making a purchase. I was very please by my choice. Unlike what Rumsfield said this is not a matter of opinion, if you want good surround sound there are requirements that must be met and there are actual parimeters that a product must fall into to actually create surround sound.

The best ones on the market right now are made by Tritton Technologies. They are a 6 speaker design and have their own processor box, so if you don't have a processor/reciever (or sound card for your computer, or just a game system with digital out of some sort), then you can still have surround sound or use the pro-logic function to simulate surround from stereo. They just came out with a new "PRO" series. They work well, and have decent sound. The only thing they lack is good, tight and powerful bass.

So check them out here, http://www.trittontechnologies.com/ and have FUN!!!

Username: Gonzales24

i bought one 2 years ago the speedlink medusa 5.1... and i must say its briliant... sound is superb.. and extras all u need.. connections to amp, tv.. nice bag.. very good compfort... it bin trough a lot in the 2 years i wasnt very carefully with it... every normal headphone would be live there 8th life by this time.. :-) this one... keeps going and going... and the sound, like on the first day.... and when u hear a hisssss then get ure self a proper sound card....

Username: Gonzales24

Post Number: 2
and ps... waiting for the new razer barracuda 7.1... have to look for a new forum the.. lol.. :D

Username: Xiantropist

Hey everybody,

what about Beyerdynamic Headzone Pro?
Yes, it's much more expensive than everything you've posted here, but the sound is amazing!

Username: Simonsparker

Jersey City, NJ United States

I think that Mentor is the best option, I recommend you to check out the Mentor range of headphones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us