Can't transfer video form Sony HDR-SR12 to computer

Username: Jtblaw1

Post Number: 1
Help! My summer vacation videos are stuck in limbo. I have a Sony HDR-SR12 digital video camera and when all goes according to their instructions the digital files from the camera are downloaded onto my PC using Sony Picture Motion Browser software. From there they can be burned on to DVD's. The files on the pc are saves as M2TS files with their name as the date and time taken (such as 20101002143512.m2ts for 10/02/2010 at 2:35:12 PM).

In any event, somehow the hard drive in the camera was reconfigured and the PMB software did not recognize that there were files to be downloaded nad converted. Pursuant to Sony's website, I downloaded the most recent PMB software to no avail. I also, tried to "reconfigure" the camera's hard drive structure also to no avail. The final fix was to reformat the drive. prior to doing so, i manually copied all of the files on the camera's hard drive onto the pc. Reformatting worked in that all newly taken videos properly transfers to the pc as it should. I tried to copy back all of the summer vacation files i had previously copied and saved. Although they were put back on the camera, I am still unable to transfer them onto the pc as m2ts files.

Thus, after all of that I am stuck with the following: a folder entitled AVCHD, with a sub folder entitled BDMV, with subfolders named CLIPINF; PLAYLIST; and STREAM and two files named INDEX.BDM and MOVIEOBJ.BDM. The STREAM folder contains all .MTS files which ithink are teh actual videos due to their size. The CLIPINF folder contains .CPI files that correspond to the .MTS files by their prefix. The PLAYLIST folder contains one file - 00001.MPL.

How do I now convert these files to M2TS format for use with PMB or otherwise utilize these files to burn them onto a DVD?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 461
If you were able to copy the files, why aren't they named the same and why aren't the files in the same directory structure as they were on the hard drive?

Username: Jtblaw1

Post Number: 2
For some reason on the camera hard drive the files are saved as .mts and .cpi files that apparently correspond to each other. When you use Sony PMB software to move the files to the pc, they are somehow magically converted to .m2ts files that can be utilized to burn onto a dvd. The files that i now have on my pc that i copied form the camera's hard drive are still in .mts and . cpi format. I guess, my queston is How do i now use these files to burn them to a DVD or how do i convert them to .m2ts form if it is necessary to do so to use them.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 462
You should be able to rename *.mts to *.mt2s

As long as the *.clpi and *.mt2s files are named the same.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts

Username: Ituif

Post Number: 4
To transfer video from sony to computer,you could use Android backup tool,it will connect your device into computer and enables you to transfer data.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us