Archive through January 11, 2006

noprayerfortheliving
Unregistered guest
Hi gromit!

I got a firewire card and cable and after some initial screw ups I finally got it working with amazing quality! When I capture longer clips with Video Studio, the audio comes out of sync with the video, however, this problem is fixed by windows media player. Can you think why this should happen though?

Cheers,

noprayerfortheliving

Username: Basu

Post Number: 9
Hi Gromit,

I have some fundamental doubt regarding PAL / NTSC system. I have a SONY DCR TRV 22 camcoder, and i guess it is og NTSC system; when i run the casette from the cancoderand connect to a TV, it works fine in both PAL as well as NTSC system TV. Now, by question is when i make the DVD, from the RAW footage of data, how can i make sure the DVD will work for both PAL and NTSC system or whether it will not work like that...

Like to know your sinsere opinion regarding this...

I am a novice in PAL / NTSC difference and after receiving your reply, i may shoot some pretty silly question... but i guess that will be ok with you...

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 469
cdub,

Every time you transfer 1 hour of digital video, you use up 12G of disk space. If your computer is keeping temporary files of 12G, you will run out of disk space VERY quickly. Use "find file' to look for files over 1G, including hidden files etc. Delete the temps and you will recover your normal disk free space.

Transferring video FROM the PC TO the camcorder is sometimes a bit hairy. It often fails on me.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
noprayerfortheliving,

I think what you are seeing might be just an artifact of the capture process - I have observed the same in my system. But I think in both our cases, what we are seeing is an inability of either audio, or video, to keep up during capture MONITORING. What really counts is whether the actual file is synchronised - and I think you are telling me it is in your case, thank goodness!

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
rajib,

Any DVD you make will, by definition, be either PAL or NTSC. If the system on which you will play the DVD does not support the original standard against which the tape was shot, use a video-editing package such as Ulead Videostudio to "render" the footage into the standard you need, prior to authoring the DVD.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Panasonic PV-DV202. I bought it off of Ebay so it did not come w/ a manual. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to transfer the whole entire video over to my pc rather then just the 30 second clip w/ Movie Messenger. I am recording it onto DV Tapes but I want to transfer the whole thing onto my computer. I am not sure if I have firewire ports. Is there anyway that I can find that out? I am doing it only by USB and it takes forever. I would like to buy a firewire thing if i need too asap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
Gini,

Look for a port on your camcorder that will accept a cable like this:

Upload

And on your PC, a port that will accept a cable like this:

Upload

Sometimes, laptops also have the smaller style port like that used in camcorders.

If necessary, buy a firewire card/cable/software pakage for your PC.

Firewire transfers in real time, i.e. a 60 minute tape should take 60 minutes to transfer - using up around 12G of disk space, by the way. I normally only transfer 10 minute chunks at a time to be conservative as it is a bit frustrating to be 90% through a massive upload only to run out of disk space or encounter some other problem.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Yes that does help. Is it ok to transfer home videos to my computer-edit them and then burn them on to a cd or dvd? Is this bad for my computer?

Unregistered guest
Is there a place on my computer- such as device manager or whatever that I can look to see if I have a firewire port? I just bought a new computer w/ a dvd burner so would this be more likely to have a firewire port?

Unregistered guest
i just reread your message.... 12G of disk space???? My compuber only is 512 mb and 80 gb harddrive.... i dont wanna fill up the space... what should i do? i just want to be able to edit the videos and then transfer them on to cd or dvd and get them off my computer... any suggestions?

Leah
Unregistered guest
Hey
Er, can't say I see anything remotly like that.
What now?

Leah

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
Gini,

Using your computer for editing home movies and then burning to DVD does it no harm at all. I have been doing it for 4 years with no ill effects apart from my eyes going a bit square.

If your computer is firewire equipped, you will see some text including the magic word "IEEE 1394" somewhere in the top level of Device Manager. If not, you need to buy a card/cable/software package for about US$ 20.

Although 1 hour of DV occupies 12G of disk space, often you will transfer much shorter segments than that. Plus, after you finish making the DVD, you can delete all those big files from your hard disk, restoring it completely.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Leah,

I think you are saying that your PC does not have a firewire port (see just above for a picture of a cable that fits a firewire port on your PC). If so, then you need to buy a PCI firewire card with cable and software for about $20.

Cheers

Leah
Unregistered guest
Gromit
Oh no I definatly have one of those. I really don't know what to do! Gar!
Thanks
Leah

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
Leah,

In that case, connect your camcorder to your PC's firewire port (while the camcorder is switched off), and use a programme like Windows Moviemaker to transfer the video.

Also, see www.videohelp.com for "How to" guides.

Post again with more specific questions if you need to.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi gromit
i am having canon zr 200 and dont have firewire is it possible to transfer video using usb port? same cable made available along camcoder to transfer digital images from memory card

shaune
Unregistered guest
hi i have a samsung vp73 dv cam and none of my pc's will recignize it, ive had it working before, im using winxp SP2 and windows movie maker...the cam says "DV-IN" but pc doesnt see it, im using firewire cable to connect it, any help?

cheers

Unregistered guest
hello...

i have made lots of DV captures .. and from my experience i can tell you fiew things..

need a NTFS partition as big as you can

good processor and good drivers installed into your pc

lots of patience

try to capure with canopus edius.. it has the best captured image i ever seen till now..

iuvcr is a good tool to caputre too

try to burn the movies captured .. with pinnacle it is very simple..

Unregistered guest
not sure this is the right forum... but now that i got the videos on my computer i am trying to burn them to a dvd. i cant seem to get it in the right file format... i need it to be in .bup, ifo, or .bop format. My videos are played in real player or windows media. Any suggestions on changing the file format?

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
kartik,

Video transfer using USB is possible so long as you have the correct drivers for your camera. However, many people experience quality issues with the result, which is why I and others recommend firewire, where the file is normally transferred with "native" DV quality.

PCI or PCMCIA firewire cards, packaged with cable and software, are widely available and very cheap.

Hope that helps

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
shaune,

Is your camcorder showing up in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices" which you switch it on?

Have you installed any new software recently, including plug-ins like Real Player?

Does your camera still work on PCs outside your household?

Have you checked to make sure the problem isn't isolated to one firewire card or cable?

I am currently in discussion with another user who might, just possibly, be affected by an XP SP2 automatic update. If so, that could have some wider implications. Please check out the things I mentioned above and/or sit tight while I debug the other user. Thanks.

bj bird
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I'm using this software called "Click to DVD" from Sony to edit video. It seems the default date is set to 12/31/1969. I don't know how to change that date or get rid of it. Is there anybody out there that knows how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
shaune,

One other thing that recently cropped up was the fact that SP2 might firewall block the firewire port. See the following link for a description of that plus some other issues:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t112935.html

Please let me know if any of this helps.

Cheers.

bj bird
Unregistered guest
Hi,

When I try to transfer edited video from my computer to the video camera it crashes. It would be about 48% done then an error would appear telling me that windows movie maker has to close. Is there any way of fixing the error so I would be able to complete the transfer?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
bj bird,

In my experience, transferring video back to your camcorder is less reliable than capture. Can you try transferring the video in smaller chunks?

Cheers.

Dayene
Unregistered guest
Hi
I just purchased a Canon ZR200. My question is this...Can I use my camcorder as a webcam? It came with a USB cable but I do not know if that is streaming or what I need to do to use the ZR200 as a webcam or if it is even possible. The owners manual did not cover this. I went to Canon FAQ's and could not find the info. I do not have a firewire card in my computer, but will buy the card tomorrow and install. Thanks in advance for your help. Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
Dave,

If your User Guide doesn't mention anything about webcam, it is probably not included in your camcorder. However, there are 3rd party software packages to achieve this:

http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/webcamdv.html

Cheers.

Dayene
Unregistered guest
Thanks Gromit..
I just bookmarked that webcam site. I appreciate your help and have noticed that you seem to be the camcorder guru in here. Great site and thanks for your help to me and others. I am surprised that JVC, Sony, Samsung and some of the others advertise their camcorders are able to webcam and that Canon really makes no mention other than in BestBuys website....where it says "USB streaming capability allows camcorder to function as a webcam, but yet their tech support, FAQ's or Owners Guide makes no reference to it being possible or what to do. Thanks again. Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
Dave,

You're welcome, and thanks for the nice comments! Actually, there are other contributors whose knowledge (and actual contributions) are far beyond mine, but I'm pleased to help where I can.

Cheers.

Shankar
Unregistered guest
Gromit,

I bought SONY DCR-HC21 mini dv camcorder, and yesterday bought a firewire cable.
Now the question is, I recorded a video , and now looking to transfer it to my HardDisk. I used WMM to capture with firewire.. It made a mpg file of around 140 MB for 51 minutes of video.
I couldnt see a option for making an .avi

Burnt a VCD using pixela, and the quality was not good.. audio is superb but video is blurry and sometimes choppy...

Also, wanted to know, how to download perfect quality video from the Mini DV.

Not sure, if I am using the firewire in the right way..

Thanks in advance !!
Shankar

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
Shankar,

You should be aiming to capture as ".avi" or "DV". That will give you "perfect" quality, plus a file size of 12G per hour.

If you can't achieve this with WMM, try downloading a copy of Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio VideoWave.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

Could someone please advice me a bit - I've tried most of the tricks for now but can't get things solved.

I have Sony DCR-PCxxx, PC with WinXP and 3-port FW1394 card and cable all set up. But when opening my capture sw, say MGI VideoWave > there is no 'video' device available - which means I cannot capture my DV to computer for further editing.

Anyone?

Things look fine under control

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Pasi,

First thing to do is to check whether your camcorder appears under "Imaging Devices" in Device Manager when it is connected and turned on.

If YES, you have an application problem. Try re-installing your capture application or downloading/installing a different capture programme. If NO, you have a system hardware or Windows problem.

Please try it out and get back to me.

Always ensure that your camcorder is turned off when you are connecting the firewire cable.

Cheers.

Post Number: 10
HI Gromit,

May be you dont remember, i disturbed you a lot about a lot of problems regarding DVD Capture and Editing and burning, finally i bought a laptop and tried all. However, i have few issues..

1) I captured the video from my handcam to the PC, using Windows Movie Maker, a 55 clip is of size 11 GB, . teh quality is pretty good.

2) I edited the clips and is now ready for the next step.

3) Here comes my problem, now i have to convert this .avi file to MPEG2 or MPEG4 ( may be ) . My software is converting at 8 mbps rate, the quality is compromised, the generating size of mpeg2 file is of 3 GB, it is almost 75 % compression.

My question is what will be configuration, like resolution , bps if we want to make a good quality video. What is the best option .. i have to convert the avi file to some other compressed format....

And, finally please tell me whatr is the best application available to convert avi to mpeg2 or mpeg4 ( is it better than mpeg2 ) , and is there a free version for thsi software..

Rgds,

Basu

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Gromit,

One more quick question , as i mentioned in the previous mail, at 8mbps rate, the quality is not good, however i can afford to have a better rate, but my software does not allow that granularity...

Could you suggest me some software whoich convert avi to mpeg, with some configurable parameetr , like resolution or rate with smaller granularity..
and, if some free version are avilable.

Thanks again,

Basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Rajib,

To make DVDs for playback on a set-top box, I use Ulead Moviefactory which is not free, but does do a good job converting to MPEG-2 (the coding used in DVds) and it handles all the menus etc.

In Ulead, I always use "best" quality, which equates to 7 Mbit/s. I chose Ulead after comparing several programmes for quality. Another contributor called "chico" also has some suggestions on this point.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi Gromit,

What is the format in which the camcoder stores the data.. is it divx or avi... What i mean is when i connect the camcoder to PC, one big file of size 11 ~ 12 GB for 1 hour casette had been created... what is the format of that created file is that divx or avi or something else ....

that will be the input of MPEG2 encoder ...

Did you heard about the ImTOO MPEG Encoder ? it is free and it sounds decent ..

Cheers,

Rajib

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
Rajib,

The 12G per hour file saved when transferring DV to your PC is .avi. You can view that as "native" DV.

The .avi file is the input to the CODEC that makes the MPEG-2 files used in the DVD. However, the MPEG-2 files are multiplexed into a single file with a .vob extension. That is part of DVD "authoring".

See www.dvddemystified.com for more technical details

I never heard of ImTOO.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
We (the Engineering Department) purchased a Canon Elura 65 for corporate-wide training and presentation videos. After the purchase, we found out that our I.S. department does not allow Firewire ports on corporate computers. Reasons being: too expensive, allows employees to gain access to corporate computers with personal devices, active policy that allows only USB 2.0 ports to be installed on corporate computers. Right now, I'm doing everything at home, but that's not sitting well with I.S. either. They have recommended that we purchase another camcorder that uses USB 2.0 video transfer.

Is there a good DV camcorder that is designed for USB video transfer? I have searched, but the ones I have found that mention USB are using it for still picture transfer. I welcome all comments and suggestions.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
We (the Engineering Department) purchased a Canon Elura 65 for corporate-wide training and presentation videos. After the purchase, we found out that our I.S. department does not allow Firewire ports on corporate computers. Reasons being: too expensive, allows employees to gain access to corporate computers with personal devices, active policy that allows only USB 2.0 ports to be installed on corporate computers. Right now, I'm doing everything at home, but that's not sitting well with I.S. either. They have recommended that we purchase another camcorder that uses USB 2.0 video transfer.

Is there a good DV camcorder that is designed for USB video transfer? I have searched, but the ones I have found that mention USB are using it for still picture transfer. I welcome all comments and suggestions.
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
Bobatam,

You can equip more than 20 computers with firewire for the price of a new camcorder!

I am not much of a fan of USB transfer, although some people have found it very effective.

Assuming that your delivery medium will be DVD, it might be worth looking at DVD camcorders. Then, you don't need to connect it to the PC at all unless you want to do editing.

Hope that helps.

Username: Bluepres

Miami, FL

Post Number: 1
Here's the deal. My camcorders eat my mini DV tapes when I transfer them. They record fine, but rewind and transfer poorly. So I want to find the cheapest alternative to transfer mini DV cassettes to my computer without using my digital cameras. I've read about the GVD1000 but that's too much cash for me. Is there no other way to do this? I don't want to do anything but transfer digital film to my computer, but don't want to ruin my cassettes or cameras in the process.
Any suggestions???

Thanks much!

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
Pres,

Apart from the GVD1000, I am also aware of a dual VHS/DV deck, but it's again rather pricy.

This may not be the message you want to hear, but if your camcorder is eating tapes on playback, then it is probably only a matter of time before it starts to demand a similar diet during recording as well. Mechanically, recording and playback are (as far as I know) identical.

My advice therefore is to try normal user-servicing tips like head-cleaning, and if that doesn't work, get a qote for professional repair - or bite the bullet and get a new camcorder. Buying equipment specifically for playback is probably only delaying the inevitable, and giving you an unnecessary intermediate expense.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
HI everybody ( definitely including Gromit ! ) ,

Does anybody know a decent and free avi to mpeg encoder , which may be available in the net... I downloaded Tmpg encoder and teh quality is fantastic, but unfortunately it is a trial version and will expire in a month...

Any help ...

And one more stuff, one good DVD burner ( of course Freely abvailable ) is also will be of much help..

Rgds,

Rajib.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
Rajib,

Re #1, I'm sure you will find something here: http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;10

Re #2, sorry, can't help you, but didn't you get an app with your burner?

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
I finally got time to try my new toy (The model is IOGEAR 2-Port USB 2.0 and 2-Port FireWire/IEEE 1394 Combo PCMCIA Notebook Card Model: GUF202 ). I love it. I had no problem transfering my video to my laptop. Just want to get back to you. Again, thanks for your help on this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
Bee,

That's great to hear! And thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
HI Gromit,

Sorry to bother you again. Now, my problem is the burned DVD is not playing at my DVD Player, however it is playing at the notepc.

I have no clue whatsever for this...I make the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder form the encoded mpeg2 file, and i have no idea what i am doing wrong. Could you help?

Do you know , is it possible to play the DVD at my laptop and see it in the TV.My laptop Model is HP Pavillion DV4023 E.

Please take me through this final step of being a Movie maker.. will ya?

I am sure you will ... Thanks in advance..

Rgds,

basu..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi Gromit,

For your information, i am using Windows Movie Maker to capture, TMPG Encoder to convert to mpeg2, and TMPG DVD Editor to edit and burn..

may be this will help you to sort out my problem...what i mention in the previous mail..

Rgds,

Basu ( Rajib basu actually )

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
Rajib,

Explore a commercial DVD in your computer to understand the file structure. The MPEG-2 files are multiplexed into .vob files.

I do think you need a DVD authoring package - I'm not familiar with the features of TMPG DVD editor. Ulead Moviefactory is my recommendation.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanx Gromit,

As you must be knowing, while DBD authoring AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS , 2 folders are created, my question is whether both need to be burned or only VIDEO_TS folder need to be burned.

And, in some literature, i found teh file size must not exceed 1 GB, do you know the meaning of that?

At last, is it possible to play the DVD at my PC ( it has a DVD player ) and see the picture at the TV....?

Rgds,

rajib

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Gromit,

And, one more thing, could you tell me the configuration you generally use to encode teh .avit to mpeg2, i mean the resolution, bit rat eand so on...

I am using the 8 mbps rate to make the mpeg2 file, can it be the possible reason why my DVD player cant play it ....

Rgds,

rajib Basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
Rajib,

1) Video DVDs only have material in the VIDEO_TS folder. The AUDIO_TS folder is typically empty.

2) .vob files are normally limited to 1G. I believe that is convention rather than strict technical requirement.

3)If your PC has a video output (laptops typically have a s-video output), then you can play DVDs on your laptop and monitor on a TV

4) I think my DVD authoring package uses 7 Mbps encoding rate so you are at least in the right ball park.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanx Gromit,

But, still i cant figure out where i am going wrong, my burned DVD plays in my Laptop, but does not play at my DVD player....

Do you have any clue, or any check list.....
regarding anything.. from capture to encoding to authoring to burning...

Please.

rgds,

rajib basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
Rajib,

When you play the DVD in your PC, are you using a "DVD player" application, or just exploring the disk and using (e.g.) Windows Media Viewer? If the former, it's good indication a DVD should play in a set top box. If the latter, no relevance.

You might need to check the spec for your set-top box. Not all models can play all DVDs burnt in PCs. Typical problems are format related: DVD+R, -R, etc.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Gromit,
My bombardment continues, i am sorry for that.

If my laptop drive is DVD -RW and my media is DVD +RW, will it cause any problem? Will it be allowed to copy on that media or play on the PC player..

And, at last , what type of media generally u use for DVD authoring, DVD -R or _RW or +r or +RW..
I heard there are 2 type of media for DVD -R, one is DVD -R for authoring and DVD -R for general, and even DVD -R will ahve 2 size for authoring, one is 3.95 GB and another 4.7GB, which one is better...and which one u use ....

I heard that DVD -R is the most compatible on all DVD-player, what is your opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 569
rajib,

So far as I know, all single-layer blank DVDs have a capacity of 4.7 G.

Your DVD burner will state in its spec which type of disks are supported. Other types will NOT work, trust me on that.

I have seen conflicting reports of whether +R or -R is the more commonly supported standard on set-top boxes. +R disks tend to be a little more expensive, so I normally use -R, which do happen to work on my DVD player. It is certainly true that some DVD players might only support one standard, so check before you buy!

You will find everything you ever wanted to know about DVD technology at this website:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Gromit,

Now, may be the last question to you, could you send me the configuration parameters you use in Ulead for avi to mpeg encoding, and any parameter if required to author and burn...?

may be i will try to download Ulead trial version for a month...

Or do you knao any free verison available at net.. not trial , but permanent version.

Rgds,

basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
rajib,

I am using Ulead Moviefactory. I simply choose the highest quality setting. The details are all filled in automatically.

I bought Ulead Moviefactory because I did not, at that time, identify any suitable free packages. Things may have changed since then, but as I have already made my investment, I have not attempted to keep up to date with new software.

Cheers
PS: By the way, due to me now starting a new job after a long period of sickness, effective immediately I shall no longer be contributing to these pages on such a frequent basis.

Kelmurp
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a canon optura 50 mini dv, and i am having problems transferring video to my laptop (powerbook g4 with osx). I took my computer in to be checked and all is fine with the firewire port and everything else. When I connect the firewire cable to the camera it gives the "dv-in" message as it should when connected, but nothing happens on my computer. Is there software that I need to make this connection happen? or is there sometype of malfunction?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic nv-ds65 connected to my pc with a usb cable. please can anyone inform me how I can transfer the video images from the mini dv tape onto my hard drive, so that I can then burn a cd? if I use windows movie maker it will only recognise still images and not moving images! Anyone...

what
Unregistered guest
what

Anonymous

Hi

I have a Panasonic NV-GS-120. I have lost the CD that supports this product and I have recently bought a new PC. Is there anywhere I can go to download software that will help me transfer my footage to my muvee autoproducer software?

Anonymous

Hi

I have a Panasonic NV-GS-120. I have lost the CD that supports this product and I have recently bought a new PC. Is there anywhere I can go to download software that will help me transfer my footage to my muvee autoproducer software?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
HI Gromit,
I am back again with another truckload of problems.
My problem is as follows.
I have an NTSC Camcoder, i transfer teh video from camcoder to PC, using Windows Movie Maker and capture it as .avi, and make NTSC Mpeg, the
quality is good.
But, i f i want to make PAL MPEG file from NTSC avi captured file, the video is jittery and in case of moving picture, it seems like stoppping
and playing.

Now, i know you use Ulead whereas i use TMPG, but what i wonder is the basic mechanism to convert to PAL from NTSC must be same, whatever software you use,
What you think ? ULead must be having some sort of MPEG Encoder, do you what is core encoder ULead use, i am asking this because a lot of Software actually in turn use core TMPG Encoder...

Just give me some clue how to make the VIDEO to correct the jitteriness and one mor euse is Audio is out of sync,, so i need to take care of the Audio rate change... i have some software, but never used, do you have something....

Any help, in case you cant help, could you let me knwo some suitable forum where i can forward this..

Rgds,

rajib Basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
Rajib,

I would recommend to convert the NTSC .avi file to PAL .avi using Ulead VideoStudio (download an evaluation copy or find it free on the cover of PC mag) and THEN make the .mpg file. Check the PAL .avi file for quality/sound synchronisation before rendering to .mpg.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Great Gromit,

Could you guide me about any setting required to do what u suggested -- converting NTSC avi to PAL
avi ...

That will be great ..

Rgds,

Basu

Stew 627
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for this situation: I am able to successfully capture from my mini DV Sony camcorder to my computer via firewire port and using either WMM or Sonic My DVD. However regardless of the quality level I select, I am missing some frames here and there. A 60 minute tape fills up only about 38 minutes on the computer and the play back is jumpy. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
HI Stew,

try Windows Movie Maker, leave enough free space at your drive, close all other application during capture, and disconnect from Internet ... if possible, switch off Virus Checking..

That should work..

Cheers !
basu

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
Stew,

1) In Device Manager, click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" then click on the IDE channel where your HDD is located. Click the "Advanced" tab and make sure "DMA if available" is selected.

2) If your motherboard is supplied with a CD called "Chipset Utilities" or similar, run the programme. You may find massive improvements in real-time handling.

3) Use an OLD version of capture software that is less ambitious in what it is trying to do. For example, I can capture OK with Videowave III but not Ulead VideoStudio 6.

4) Disable the indexing service (the "findfast.exe" application). If that starts during capture, it will likely just completely jam.

5) Right click and close all apps in the System Tray. I even disable my firewall (Zone Alarm) AFTER disconnecting the computer from the internet

When you have done all this, run the system performance monitor during capture and check that your CPU utilisation is steady below 90%

Cheers

Unregistered guest
Hi I have one question what should I do If my PC canno't see my camera I installed Fire wire and all drivers to the cam but it still doasn't work.

Coud you help me please
and sory for my mistakes but I just start to lern english

Chow
Unregistered guest
Poor video quality after capturing from Sony HCR-HC42:

Hi Gromit,

I have recently bought Sony DCR-HC42 and am very unhappy with the result after I capture it in my Laptop. I have started with capturing using USB, but soon had to drop the idea due to inferior quality. I then Got a ordinary firewire (IEEE 1394) and transferred the data to my Laptop (Toshiba satellite with in built IEEE 1394 port). I have tried using various softwares like MS Movie maker, Inter DVD Creator, Pinnacle 9 but with whatever I use , I am getting a very poor quality picture. The colour seems to be totally washed out. I see a degradation of about 50% in the picture quality when I play the DVD (the colours seem to be totally lost) when compared to the same DV being played on TV directly. I see loss at every stage, the maximum while capturing and some degradation while compressing to mpeg format.

The sony picture package software that came with the handycam is simply worse. It is very unfortunate that sony cannot even provide a decent software to campture movie from miniDV. The software only supports USB transfer...pathetic..It does not support firewire transfer. It does not even support DVD creation.

Could anyone tell me where I am doing wrong. Is it possible that my firewire could be a problem. I still hold the opinion that Sony HC-42 is a not suitable handycam if you indend to write to DVD although I saw reviews of customer being very satisfied. I feel it is only good if I do not intend to do any editing and just play from my DV directly to TV.

Thanks in advance.
Chow

Anonymous

Hi Grommit. I have a JVC GR-DVX78 it has a Firewire port on it but the manual says it is for use with another camcorder. this my seem really dumb but i am curious as to whether this means i can also conect it to my computer. i dont have a IEEE1394 adapter or card or anything but before i go out and purchase and install all this, because my camera has the firewire port does that mean i can connect it to my computer? thank you for any help it will be most appreciated. thankyou regards Justin.

Sudu
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I recently bought a Sony HC-42E from Germany. When I tried to transfer the video to my PC, the camcoder does not copy the whole video. It gets cut in between or only some portions are getting transfered. Then I tried burning a CD directly from the camcoder, but the result is the same: only some portions are getting transfered. Is this because of any wrong camcoder settings or is it because of the low disk space? I am using standard Sony software (Picture Package) for this purpose.

Another issue is the amount of disk space taken by the copied video. It is really huge. A small video clip takes gigabytes of disk space. :-( (in .avi format). How can I change the format?

Which is the perfect software for this purpose, so that I could get a normal movie which a decent amount of disk space?

Thanks and regards,
Sudu.

Username: Novice2

I have a client that wants me to put his 30-minute video online each week and will supply a raw mini DV. Can anyone tell me how to convert to Quicktime for web-viewing?

Nickie
Unregistered guest
i have an older JVC camcorder that uses mini DV cassettes that i have just come across. we have since upgraded our camcorder to a Sony that uses mini DVD-R which is the greatest ever! my question is i would like to xfer the footage from my MiniDV cassettes to my PC. there is a firewire port on the JVC. is that all i need? for editing i have Pinnacle Studio Plus. will it be able to recognize the mini cassettes?
Any help is appreciated! thanks!

Unregistered guest
I have just bought a panasonic cam NV GS3, XP sp2, 1394, having problems with OS detecting cam, gotten "AV/Subunit" "Virtual AV" and recently nothing.....any help will be so appreciated....thanks in advance

help me
Unregistered guest
i have brought a jvc cam and am having problems with saving my video to the computer, i have also tried using a sd card to save my video but this still does not work and windows tell me that i need a audio codec. my cam is a jvc gr-dvp3 and am not sure if it is able to transfer the video.

Suchi
Unregistered guest
My Sony DCR-HC40 digital camcorder DV (firewire) port does not seem to be working. I have tried switching to a different computer and bought new cable too without success. I am able to import video using the USB port and also able to download images with the firewire- but no video. It used to work before. Any thoughts ? Thanks

Suchi
Unregistered guest
My Sony DCR-HC40 digital camcorder DV (firewire) port does not seem to be working. I have tried switching to a different computer and bought new cable too without success. I am able to import video using the USB port and also able to download images with the firewire- but no video. It used to work before. Any thoughts ? Thanks

pistonengine
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic DV camcorder with Firewire and am able to use WMM to capture and playback video. I simply want to view in real-time the tape being played on my PC monitor in full screen, without having to capture it. Any ideas?

Please Respond
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can please help me, I have a JVC mini DVCAM with a lot of tapes I wish to download to my new PC which has XP Pro installed.
When I go to capture the tape using a firewire card same as I did on my old PC I get every few frames a nice menagerie of coloured blocks ranging from a couple of blocks to large amounts sometimes.
I have tried so many different configurations and the only major difference between the new and old PC is the new one has a Winfast A340 AGP graphics card.
I have tried various software to capture the film using Adobe Premiere, WMM as well as the bundled software that came with the camcorder.
Going balder by the second as I have now started to pull my hair out, can anybody please help !!??

Unregistered guest
Hi...
I just bought samsung VP-D351 mini dv camcorder, but i cant transfer videos 2 my pc , can somebody PLZZZZZZZZZZ guide me how to tranfer videos 2 my pc ?????

annie843
Unregistered guest
I have a PV-DV202 video recorder. I don't have the software to put movie messenger in my computer. Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this cd? Thanks, Ann

Unregistered guest
Gromit, I sure hope you can help me.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC32. My laptop is a Sony Vaio without a DVD Burner and my roommates computer is an HP with a DVD Burner.

My parents recorded my college graduation (ran over onto three tapes) and I'd like to burn this onto a few DVDs for safe keeping.

I connected my camcorder via the cradle to my Sony Laptop and began to capture using the provided software, however I'm only able to capture 10 minutes before my computer ran out of space! I tried to decrease the resolution but with so many pixels, I might as well just copy it onto VHS.

Can you please help me figure this out?
Also, Im recording onto tapes, as I said, but should I buy a produo card to record onto instead?

I can design an entire hazardous waste treatment plant, but I can't get a file from one machine to the other.... :-)

mikecheah
Unregistered guest
Hi all

I have a strange problem and hope someone can help.

Up until last week, my Panasonic DV camcorder (NV-DS55) works fine in recording/playback and with Windows Movie Maker in transferring to PC. And then, without warning, it started to playback without sound and worse, in chunky, blocky bits. Picture will look normal in slow motion; but at normal speed, the streaky blocks will appear again. Initially, I thought that it's the tapes but this problems affects every single tape I have. Have tried to clean the video head to no avail. Now here comes the strange part - works fine for newly recorded footage! That is, up to that point in time last week, everythings screwed up. From that point onwards, no issues whatsoever! I borrowed a friend's Sony DV camcorder, and all tapes play back fine and transfer to PC fine. Thanks for thoughts/ideas.

jamieON
Unregistered guest
hey just wonderin rite y it says that its copying to my tape but its not actually doing it. n i really want it to. any suggestions would be appriatiated(cant spell) email on00jh2@hotmail.com

Aman Kapoor
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I bought a panaosnic NV-GS11 but when i try to install it using USB cable it says found new hardware DVC and does not install the software. I have tried to do all possible steps using the DV Studio cd but unable to find the right drivers. I have bought it from grey market and he just gave me one cd does it come with any other cd. I am using windows XP SP2 and a acer laptop. Any help will be greatly appericated.

Thanks
Aman

Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit (if you're still around), or anyone else willing to help,
I'm quite aware that not many people in here are fans of USB transfer, but it doesn't hurt to ask.I used to have a JVC GR-DVL320EA Mini-DV camera that came with Digital Photo Navigator 1.0 which you could use to browse & capture stills from a Mini-DV tape by means of USB (to my understanding the later versions of Digital Photo Navigator do not include this function, I don't know why). As my JVC camera broke I recently purchased a Canon MV830i, which came with Canon PhotoRecord and Canon Utilities, none of which could capture stills from Mini-DV tapes. I'm quite happy to ask your recommendation for any software which will allow me to use the Canon MV830i to capture still images from Mini-DV tapes by USB cable. However I've read above many times that you can also do video transfer using USB, and yes I'm quite aware of the quality and limitations mentioned above. I'm definitely sure that I personally would like to use USB rather than FireWire. Please advise me of my options. Thanks for your time.

Unregistered guest
Just bought a new HP Media Center PC with Windows XP, Movie Maker,Muvee and Sonic software, to use with my Sony DV Handycam. Could not capture DV video using MM (apparently they are not compatible formats). Thus, I captured the video using Muvee software, imported it to MM, made my movie in MM and tried to save it to DVD. MM made me save it to my computer first, which I did. After the 2 hour saving process, the Sonic prompt stated the "record speed was not supported." I tried all speeds, no luck. Oddly, the movie I saved to my hard drive then disappeared after I viewed it. I saved it again, and it disappeared a second time. Any ideas: 1) What is causing the file to disappear (I searched, it is definitely gone); and 2) How I can get this file (2.2 gigs) to a DVD? (I have over 30 hours invested). Thanks

Unregistered guest
I cannot get video to show from my Panasonic camcorder (GS31) on Movie Maker. I get audio but not video. I am using USB cable. I do get still shots. I'm not sure if my computer (HP Pavilion 750c) has a DV port or a firewire port.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,
I have a Canon Elora 65, how can transfer video from Mini DVs to my computer in order to burn DVDs? I guess I have to install a firewire port in my computer, is this correct?. I have a Dell computer with DVD burner. I will really appreciate it if somebody can give me hand with this; I am new in the digital video World. Thanks.

OKreceipt
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HC32, am using Meida XP on a brand new computer, have tried to install the USB cable and driver but not certain the HC is being recognized by the computer yet ---- beyond that, how do I copy from the tape in my HC32 to my hard drive? For the life of me I cannot figure it out, and the grandparents are itching to see movies! Thanks

gerben
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect panasonic PV GS55 mini DV to my desktop to copy minivd to DVD. I bought the firewire, the cable (4 pin to 6 pin) and am using Sonicrecord to try and copy. Message I get is "No video signal detected". I tried other software but the same result. I checked the firewire port of the PC and it indicated that it is working propoerly. I turned the devises on and off, I tried the play function on the camcorder, all without success. Any idea what I could be doing wrong??

Username: Sudhi916

Hi,
I am facing a problem with transferring my beta files to my computer...
I am working in Oman. we are doing some video documentaries...Right now what we are doing is after we shoot the files in Beta cam, we will transfer it to a DVD though a beta to DVD device and then i got to transfer this dvd VOB files to AVI for editting in Premiere. And so Of cource the quality is going.And i know this is not the convenient method of doing all this...
So how its doing in the movies and all.What are the machines using in high end films.
Somebody suggest me a MATROX CARD can be useful.
I would like to know which is the best way of Taking a BETA file to Computer and putting it back to a DVD or TApe itself after editting...?

Please give me the best solution...

Thanks

Sudhi

Anonymous

I have Cannon ZR 200 Digital camcorder. I have not been able to transfer images from the Mini DV tape to my PC. I have tried using the USB cable. However images on card, I am able to trasfer using the same USB cable. When put to "tape", the PC does not recognise the camcorder at all. Do I require any different cable? Require help to resolve this.

Username: Zeroeffect08

Delano

i have a samsung Sc-D353 DV

and i downloaded the software from samsung.com and i install it and it didnt work it said something cant open so yeah and i wondering if i can download it somewhere else or just get a diffrent software from www.download.com plz help

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC Mini DV camcorder. It has a S-video port and some other little one labelled "DV" with "i" written beside it. My Sony laptop has an "i-link S400" port on it. How do I go about uploading video onto my computer? Is it as simple as buying a lead to connect the two, or do I need firewire and drivers?

spetz
Unregistered guest
Hi all, i need some help, i brogt a sony handy cam DCR-HC42E, and i used a firewire cable to transfer a video using pict bridge softwere, and the quality is very bad, its almost like me using a web cam.
ive tryed using media player to play it and quick time and windvd ect but nothing.

can anyone help me as its realy fraustrationg.

thanks!

Username: Pvpiano

California

HELP!! 1. I am trying to convert my hi 8 analog video tapes to my media center PC. I have the ports in the front and the back rca, s video, fire wire. need help on the best way to do this. I have Muvee maker as the software. I can capture the video but not the sound.
2. I bought pinnacle media suite vesion 10 I cant capture video or adio in pinnacle. Please help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us