Sony handycam or firewire problem?

Username: Lokar

Post Number: 1
i have a sony DCR HC30 sony handycam, that i bought recently, the first time i use the firewire cable was good, the quality was also good just like the actual footage that ive got, but my problem was after a few weeks my cam was not recognized by my pc anymore, is my firewire pci card broken or the fire wire slot on my camcorder. When i try to use the supplied usb, it is recognized by my pc but im not quite satisfied with the quality. So can some one help me with this?

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 51
Did you install new software on your PC such as Windows XP SP2?

Post Number: 2
nope i dont remember installing anysoftware, im thinking of re installing windows xp, some say that real player might be conflicting with my fire wire. I tried to remove real players and other media players as well such as quicktime and winamp, but still the same result.

i tried to connect my cam to my friends laptop using a firewire and it worked,

i dont know what to do, im stuck and totally sucked, can you please help me? i want to format my pc because of this problem, do you think it might work? thanks in advance and hope you can help me...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Before doing a whole re-install of Windows XP, disconnect the camcorder, remove the entry for IEEE1394 from Device Manager, re-boot and let Windows re-install the Firewire driver.

Post Number: 3
already done that and even reinserting the firewire pci card as well but still my pc cannot recognize the cam...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15154
What movie editing software are you using?

Do yo have any movies stored on your hard drive? If you do, move them somewhere else.

If you have any projects languishing in the movie editing program remove them. Remove the movie editing program. Re-start. Re-install.

If that does not work, you have a bad firewire card.

Post Number: 4
still it doesnt work, i check the device manager and it says that my 1394 is working properly. But anyway ill try to by a new firewire card. Thanks for the help...

Username: Jennyg

Hi, I have a sony handycam and a an Acer aspire laptop with vista. I downloaded picture package and set my camcorder to usb stream. The camcorder instructions then say that when you connect the usb cable to the laptop it will start up the programme but it doesn't. The camcorder just says there is a connection problem! I know the isn't a problem with the usb cable because i've been able to watch my home movies but just can't burn them to disc. Please can anyone help?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Are you sure that the software you downloaded works with Vista?

Username: Jennyg

I don't know. By software do you mean picture package? I'm not very good with computers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15369
The software would be the Picture Package program. If you are using Vista, you have to check if it is compatible or if your new camcorder is compatible with Vista.

I doubt that it will, though.

How much RAM do you have on your laptop? If you have less than 2 gigs of RAM, you will have problems. If you are using USB streaming, it will not work. I don't care what the packaging says, you will need a firewire connection from your camcorder to your laptop, not USB.

Username: Cagedtweety

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Sony DCR-TRV280 HANDYCAM and I have Windows XP SP2 on my PC. My son has tried relentlessly to convert to DVD and has had nothing but bad luck. We thought we had it the last time with Windows Movie Maker but the music was not IN-STINK with the movements of the mouth/body. This is a taped recording of a Bluegrass Show that my husband plays the bass in and I need it in order to send out as promotional packages. He tried all the well known programs used to make a DVD from the camcorder and to no avail. We used the software that came with the camera and it would only do clips of 10 minutes. He went through the entire tape and saved the 10-minute increments and then joined them all together and did all that encrypting stuff and that still left it being out of time with the mouth/body motions. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I was told that I could get a VHS-DVD player/recorder and hook the camcorder up to that and record a DVD through it....is this true? We have tried everything and like all the others, the manual says that we have to have a sony computer in order to convert to DVD from the handycam..I think that is BS SONY!!!!!!!!!! We have worked with this for 2 months now...Im at my wits end....Please help me..I look forward to hearing from anyone soon!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15379
Have you read through the above posts as far as minimum requirements?

Connecting the camcorder to a DVD recorder would be faster than trying to edit your footage through a slow computer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
I strongly urge using a VCR/DVD recorder combination unit readily available for purchase at Walmart, Kmart, Target, Circuit City, Best Buy to transfer video from your camcorder to a DVD.

Use either DVD-R or DVD+R.

Username: Cagedtweety

Thanks so much!! you guys are AWESOME!!! I will purchase the VCP/DVD Recorder and convert to DVD from the Handycam. I think that would be the best option for me. Although I would LOVE to learn all this Technology, I will take the easy way out! LOL...Wish me luck and I'll post to let ya know how it works out!
Thanks once again!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15392
Good luck

Username: Nits

Hello Friends
I am facing a problem similar to what karlo blas faced earlier.
When i connectd my handycam for the first time to my pc the video trasnfer happened effortlessly ( though there was no audio ..which i will ask later) but since then whenever i connect ny handycam to pc though the pc recongnises it after a long time gap of few minutes the video capturing is not happening. I am using windows movie maker for the purpose and have also tried many other s/w like Nero , uleas , sony studio but all gat hang after i start the capture process.
my pc has dual core processor , xp-sp2 os , 1GM ram and 160GB HD. I have ensured there is no other application running. When i see the system performance while WMM is hanging it shows me that the CPU is more than 90% idle so it does not seem to be processing related issue. besides ot all worked when i connected for the first time.
Can anybody guide ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

Username: Nits

Post Number: 3
Thanks LK
for your post trying to help me.
Well i have already downloaded and installed this patch but this did nit work either.
Anyhow, i found a simple but very strange solution to my problem.
In parallel to firwire cable i connected my handycam to pc with a USB cable as well.And it all worked well, fast enough without any issue. I am still transferring data using firewire , USB connection is just dummy which i am not actually using.Now all softwares including WMM , sony studio , nero are working fine to capture the video and audio effortlessly.
Seems there is some bug in the way the handycam software has been written by Sony..
I hope my experience would be useful to many others.

One more point , i wish to create DVDs of my movies. What is the best method( format)you would suggest for capturing and burning DVDs

Thanks again for help.

Username: Bondhutto

Same problem. No solution yet.

Handycam Model: Sony DCR TRV265E
Laptop: Windows Vista 32 bit

When I connect my handycam via USB cable, it is seen in Device manager (I have downloaded the necessary driver from Sony). I can see the video using Skype chatting tool. Even google chat can show video through the handycam. But Microsoft Movie Maker cannot recognize it at all.

Sony's picture package does not work in Vista, so Sony has provided another software Picture Motion Browser downloadable from their site. Even this software fail to recognize the handycam.

It was mentioned that Motion browser works in i.LINK cable, which is, I think the firewire cable. So I connected the handycam through firewire. Now Skype, Google chat, device manager, Movie Maker, Motion Browser ... none of them can recognize the handycam through firewire.

What could be the problem?

I also tried to connect both USB and firewire, noly USB mode is acknowledged by Skype and google chat, but nobody can see it via the firewire.

Is the firewire card defective? My lappy is brand new and within warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Windows Movie Maker will not work with USB.

Vista + Firewire still a problem for some people.

See if this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927827 works for you

Otherwise, just buy a Sony DVD recorder. That is actually the easiest solution.

Username: Bleme

I have a Sony Hanycam and a Sony DVD Player/Recorder. I connected the two with Firewire, but when I hit play on my camcorder, my TV screen stays a blank white. Do I have to use the A/V cable?

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
No, using the Firewire cable should be fine.

Set the input on the TV to the one that you would use if you were watching DVD movie on the DVDRecorder. Set the DVDRecorder input to DV. That's it.

Username: Cruelrhetoric

THE ONLY application/program/software that works with my sony handycam is Magix Movie Editor 14

Ive had Aspire, Audacity, VLC, ulead, kmplayer... and more but Magix is the best thing for the Sony web cam if you plan on having it for a while. You can purchase it online or pick it up at any Best Buy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us