JVC mini dv - Computer ?!? HELP

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through August 08, 2005Jserle100
Archive through June 04, 2005Gromit100

Unregistered guest
I bought a JVC cam D33 version, i tried to connect it to my pc using a dv cable i also bought.
it was just giving me the message "unknown device found" and could not thus detect any signal from the cam. do i need the software for Dv cables installed on my pc or what do i need to make it work?

karls
Unregistered guest
i have a jvc gr-dx97 and using the provided software ie image mixer ver1.7,i can transfer my images from my camcorder on to my computer,but am finding it hard to download it on to any kind of dvd disc,i can however put it on to a cd-r disc and play it on my house dvd player.however it is very poor quality,all the speech is out of sync and the picture is very jumpy.i am using my usb cable as well.ive been told that getting better software than the free image mixer ver 1.7 could help resolve this.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Siddhu
Unregistered guest
God looks like so many people have this issue.
Im trying to use my JVC DVL-510U to connect to a firewire on my AMD Opteron with Xp Pro SP2.
I did manage to connect it the first time and it worked!! I could capture video flawlessly. Then i removed the camcorder to bring it to work on another Pc. Connected it and windows wouldnt recognize this. So i thought maybe somethines wrong with this particular installation of windows etc. I took it back home and connected it back to my pc on which it had previously worked but this time it just stopped recognizing my cam!!! What? I think its a camcorder issue and not a windows issue. Ive tried this cam on 3 diff machines all running WinXp and none of them recognize this cam anymore :-(. Bought a pinnacle AVDV card that has a firewire port and that wont recognize this cam either! So im wondering what could make the cam stop being recognized like this. Whats more if i connect the cam to my firewire the IE3394 shows up in the network adapters which would never happen earlier. So i uninstalled that particular entry in the network adapters, with the camera on. After that entry had been deleted i removed the firewire cord from my camera and windows made that chiming sound. The same one taht it makes when it detects something. But well, it only made a sound and didnt detect my camera. This probably means that there is some sort of wierd communication happening but the pc isnt recognizing my cam. I have now 3 firewire ports on my pc. None of them recognize it and nor do 3 other intel systems. I have also tried doing this with a fresh install of XP with SP2 without any updates.
Why would my cam suddenly stop being recognized after 4 hours of previous succesful capture!!!God my only option is to buy a GL2 which i am going to buy anyways cause this JVC is the shitz!

jvc GR-270
Unregistered guest
I have a jvc GR-270
im having problems getting my computer to recognize it. when i plug it in using a firewire conection wizard comes out but it doesnt install it stating that it did not found the necesary software to intall it.
my operating system is windows xp sp2

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D280E
im having problems getting my computer to recognize it. When I load the drivers off the cd it says they are for Windows 98 only, I have XP. So where can I get the drivers I need?

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D280E
im having problems getting my computer to recognize it. When I load the drivers off the cd it says they are for Windows 98 only, I have XP. So where can I get the drivers I need?

Username: Johnnyboy

Post Number: 1
Hi

You seem very happy with your JVC GR 270. I also have one but I do not understand why the quality of still images (photos) is so poor, both with the memory card & the tape. The edges of objects in still images appear as jerky lines rather than rounded edges, and the overall photo quality is piss-poor. What could I be doing wrong? I have another much cheaper digital camera which is much better! Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3607
Because the JVC GR270 is not designed as a digital still camera. Great motion camera but it was not meant for stills.

Post Number: 2
Ah. Thank you for that. I wish they'd told me that in the shop!

Post Number: 3
OK, and one more thing... does anyone know...?

I have a JVC GR270 and I want to export video images from the mini DV tape to my PC with Windows XP. Which software is best for capturing video of this kind? I have tried:
1) Windows Movie Maker - which gives quite good results but uses a horrific amount of memory,
2) Intervideo Win DVD creator, which always turns out a bit blurry
3) Adobe Premiere Pro version 7.0 and Ulead video studio version 8.0, both of which create video files with horizontally "lined" edges around the objects in the video, plus Adobe Premiere Pro seems horrendously complicated. (Will the lines be evened out if I convert the avi file created into an mpeg2 file?).

Basically all I want to do is transfer video to my PC then use software to make a film. Does anyone know about this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3617
You keep inferring to the horizontal lines. Are you filming in wide screen?

Post Number: 4
No, I'm using the normal full screen setting. The lines I'm talking about are like little spikes at the edge of the images, rather than rounded, smooth edges (I mean the at the edges of things IN the video, like the edge of a person being filmed, not the border of the screen) when I capture them onto my PC.

Actually, the results aren't too bad with Adobe Premiere Pro. But I am VERY upset about the photo (stills) quality. It appears patchy, with squared edges, and is frankly embarrassing compared to the quality of photos taken on other cameras which cost a fifth of what I paid for the JVC GR 270. I would never have bought this camera if I'd known that the photos would turn out this bad.

Do you think there might be a way of enhancing the photo quality using software such as Jasc Paint Shop Pro?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3625
I doubt it but you can try. You have to realize that those still pictures just are not up to par with digital still cameras. You are basically using a sensor that is not optimized for stills.

You should use a dedicated digital camera just for stills. And do not get a digital camera that also takes movies.:-)

Username: Chillingurl87

i have a tekxon TX400 and in webcam settings it just says "MSN Messenger cannot detect a camera. Please make sure your camera is plugged in and try again." well it is plugged in do i need a program like flash player or something 2 use webcam? im really frustrated and have been tryin for a while but nothing has worked yet respond quickly plz

Username: Chillingurl87

i no i need some kind of driver but geez its hard 2 find out which 1 any1 help plz

Unregistered guest
i have a jvc gr-dx25ek when i use cam as a webcam i can only send sound and no vision is sent to other end why please help

Unregistered guest
I have been searching for several lifetimes every nook and cranny of the net for a solution to a dilemna that I have come to realise is shared, in various incarnations, by a shiteload of other JVC users. This is my first attempt at a forum, and last resort ! This is it in a nutshell:

1. I have a JVC GRD73
2. I want to use it on my XP as a webcam
3. I can use it easily on my Win98 as a webcam
4. The software that came (Imagemixer) loads easily onto Win 98: (3 components) Imagemixer/Streaming Driver/Mass Storage
5. When trying to load software onto XP, only Imagemeixer component is available as install. (No streaming driver which I need for webcam, no mass storage)
6. When attaching the camera via USB in identical fashion to how I attach it to Win98 computer - nothing !
7. Please, I dont want to buy a firewire (on sheer principle). JVC said it can be used as a webcam through USB, it works on Win98, so Godamnit why shouldnt it work on XP (Home).

....Anyone ?? Thankyou...that feels better.

Anonymous

GRD290 usb problem solved. It is a mistake by JVC - usb will not transfer video YOu will need to use firewire. If you haven't got one buy a pci card and cable from CPC for $17.50 see link http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10649&N=411
It worked for me 1st time.

Unregistered guest
In this forum I do not see anyone using GR-D270U with Windows ME operating system? My Sony VIAO laptop has firewire port and camera came bundled with USB cable. Do I new cable that connects camera to firewire? OR Do I need converter from USB to Firewire and use same cable?

Once I connect via firewire - will i be able to get still images from tape to computer? Will I also be able to get video to computer? Do I need any software to download this videos? Or it can be directly played in windows media player?

If I can access video isnt it going to be huge file to access 60 mins of video?

Please advise

urbanpackmule
Unregistered guest
i suppose i should address this: dear gromit,

i'm currently running xp x64 edition on my amd 64-bit system. i have a jvc gr-d32u plugged into a firewire port in my audigy 2 zs. i have no problems capturing using bundled or third party software, except for yahoo messenger, where the camcorder is unrecognizable as a webcam. i'd assume this is something to do with x64 functionality [as it's been trouble for just about every device].

any help with this would be grand. thanks, in advance.

wei
Unregistered guest
I just bought a JVC GR-D270. Can someone suggest a cheap firewire/cable/software bundle in order for me to download video to my PC?

I lived in USA.

Thanks a lot.

John Sanderson
Unregistered guest
"GRD290 usb problem solved. It is a mistake by JVC - usb will not transfer video YOu will need to use firewire."

It's possible to transfer video by USB as I've tried it with MovieMaker with the JVC GRD290. The video quality won't be good though. Firewire is always the better option.

Anonymous

For anyone who is asking "Where do you I find Windows XP drivers for my JVC camcorder?"

The answer is you don't. As long as you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2. It should detect your camcorder and automatically self-install drivers for it.

Anonymous

I have got a 4 pin to 4 pin fire wire cable and it wont fit in the usb port of my computer. Any body know why?

I have tried bending the socket open with a screw driver to make it wider but the plug still dont fit. I have also tried another usb port and that dont work either.

Username: John4438

Orange Park, FL US

Firewire is a completely different input/output system from USB. It uses a different controller and different style connections. If your computer does not have a firewire port already, you will need to buy and install a firewire card as an addin inside the machine. Trying to force a firewire into a USB port will do nothing except possibly destroy both.

If you have no expansion room, there are cards that do accomodate both USB and Firewire on the same card, but the different ports go through different and distinct circuits.

Sudarshan
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have just figured out how to transfer still/video from a JVC GR-D290 camcorder in "Play" mode, via USB on Windows XP Service Pack 2, courtesy a generic driver that Windows installed.
Can anyone tell me how to use GR-D290 as a webcam? MSN Msgr does not recognise it at all.

Mallik
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a JVC GR-D290 and captured video. When i try to download the content from DV Tape to Laptop by using the software provided by JVC "Cyberlink Power Director 3" am not able to do that by using Via USB.As per the Manual,we hv to keep in "MEMORY".It is showing only the photos captured in SD Card.Pls suggest me how can i download the video and what are all the steps to download or any additional things required.

Pls suggest me on this...Thanks...Mallik

Unregistered guest
I have a GR-DVL320A camcoder, which software I have to buy to transfer the movies to my PC.( operating system XP)

PPokhriyal
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have a canon camcorder with firewire port only. When ever i connect and start downloading from it to my windows XP sp1 via movie maker or MUUVEE software. MY pC reboots by its own. Moreover i am not getting the preview (A black screen comes there).... Pls help.

mlj
Unregistered guest
I am using XP SP2 & trying to connect JVC GR-DX307 via 1394a ( with no luck ). Followed all the troubleshooting tips above right through rolling back to SP1 1394 drivers. Also tried connecting USB first for still pics ( got that to work ). However, no luck with 1394/video. I have a DFI UT NF4 SLI-D with onboard 1394 (VIA chipset), Athlon 64 3500 cpu. Tried 1394 PCI host controller (again, VIA chipset because I had it laying around). I now have a SIIG PCIx 1394 card on order (TI chip set) Hopefully this will allow video capture! No question, just feedback regarding all advise in this thread. Thanks for the info!

JVC PISSED OFF
Unregistered guest
Can the JVC D290 transfer video form the tape via USB or is it just Firewire???

Gold Member

Post Number: 4069
just firewire.

help me out
Unregistered guest
hi,
i have a JVC D72. Can it transfer video from tape via USB? After reading the previous reviews, i really doubt it ! If firewire is required, can I use the bundled s/w ( Image Mixer) or is there any free s/w ( for Win 98 )?

Post Number: 5
Can anyone help me?

I have a JVC GR-D270 video camcorder (with fireware connection), & several video files on my PC's hard disc which I want to tranfer onto standard video cassettes, using the video camera as a go-between. Is there any way I can transfer these AVI video files from my PC to the JVC camcorder using the fireware (DV) connection? In the instruction manual it explains how to do this from a VCR but not from a PC. Is there some way of doing this?

Post Number: 6
Sorry and I forgot to mention that I have already tried using the same method described in the instruction manual for transferring fom VCR to camcorder, but it doesn't seem to work from a PC. The screen stays blue instead of receiving the images via the foreware (DV) input. Any ideas?

ARW
Unregistered guest
I have JVV GR DVL720U and would like to download my videos into my PC (DELL 4600C). It appears from all I have read above that I need a Firewire connection. from there, Movie Maker should allow me to capture my videos into my PC (correct me if I am wrong). My problem is that my PC does not have a firewire connection and my PC does not have room in it to allow me to add an internal card. What can I do? I looked around to see if external cards were available but I don't really know what I am talking about. Help!!

RiskItForADOnut
Unregistered guest
Alright, I know you've heard this at least 500 times by now, but here goes. I have a Canon ZR80 MiniDV Camcorder, just got it yesterday. I took some test clips, installed the firewire card that I purchased, and uploaded using MyDVD (s/w that came with the card). There were no problems, I have that file on my computer now. That was yesterday. Today, when I go to MyDVD and hit "Capture", it claims "No valid video capture devices were detected. If you have a video device attached make sure it is an NTSC device or change your preferences." This is really beginning to bug the crap out of me, Movie Maker, VirtualDub, and Scenalyzer don't work either. I'm not sure how to go about remedying this problem, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not a sequence thing; I've been trying those all night. Please respond back and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Username: Max945

I purchased a JVC GR-D275U and a 1394a Firewire card for my Dell computer. Can I download video from my camcorder to the computer using a 1394b Firewire card? Would this be faster? Also I installed the Firewire card in my computer purchased from Comp USA and it doesn't appear in device manager. Is it possible my computer does not recognize this card?

DAJVCGUY
Unregistered guest
My video camera (JVC-D72U ) and computer (HP) are not getting along at all but one thing I can say is make sure you plug in your computer to your camera and turn on camera BEFORE you open whatever software, my personal opinion, but, software seems like it wants it plugged in as it opens I have about four differt kinds of software ( all freebies ), my favorite is Showbiz , I push capture button in showbiz, screen opens in front with all proper info. JVC-GRD7U Etc. I hit done button Arcsoft is shut down and then I get a big blue screen from windows telling me of terrible errors and computer will be shut down immediately, anyway, never even got this far when opening software first then plugging in USB from video camera, as a matter of fact, nothing. Time for a firewire and everything else I read here. THANKS ecoustics.com !!!!!!!!

blackscoobydo
Unregistered guest
Hi all, this post is a FYI, after reading the whole thread, and having the same problems as all users with a JVC, I now have an operational pc(XPSP2)/camcorder working together !! >WOHOO<

Im in Sydney - AUS, and have the JVC GR-D73A.

USB stuff
- webcam works via USB >ONLY< when the camcorder is swtiched to memory card, and there is a mem card in there. (however its approx 160x120 RES...shite)
-have the camera switched off, usb cable plugged in both ends, pc switched on, then switch on the camera (memory card switched turned on) and you should here the **ding sound** when windows finds a new usb device. look in device mgmr in USB+imaging devices+storage, you will see jvc "xxxxxxxx"
-USB capture will only work with the supplied software, all other 3rd software will fail,once again resolution is very poor

GOOD NEWS - Firewire 1394a
If you dont have a firewire ports, go and get one NOW....run, dont walk !

I bought a belkin F5U502 - this has a AGERE chipset, and works fine on my computer (OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller NOT TI)

"and praise the lord" everything works so beautifully, it allows me to capture in DV mode with any software, and the webcam is also in DV mode, ie. approx 760x580 or something like that (very good quality)

so i am now a happy little camper, ready to start playing and making movies.

I currently use ULEAD studio 8 and dvdfactory 3

hope this helps, and thanks to all previous people for their correspondence, i couldnt have got it working without this forum

kind regards
Peter
Sydney - Australia (summer time is nearly here!!!)

Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I am a proud owner of a JVC D290 and it works pretty good. The videos/snaps are quite good for the price. It is perfectly happy with my Dell D610 running Win XP SP2. I had tough time getting it to recognize the cam. I upgraded the OS to SP2 from SP1 and bingo, all detection issues evaporated!! That too only with USB..no firewire at all..I have captured videos/snaps onto the hard drive without any hitch. Webcam works as well. Low light performance of the cam is the best i have seen amongst personal camcorders
If you think i could be of help, write to me

Username: Dj__sk

Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I have a JVC GR-DV500u Mini DV Camcorder. From what I have read it has all to do with sp2 - Not. I have an AMD 3200 on a Chaintec Board with 3 gig ram PC 3200 DDR, 2 Firewire and 6 USB. Camera is not recognized. Tried unplugging all USB devises which include Extigyy sound and hu to two printers, etc. Dumped the software, reloaded. Disabled Firewire and reinabled. Have done everything you have posted before ever seeing this site. Nothing works.

THEN: Have an e-machine I am fixing for someone. AMD 3200+ Processor same as mine. Nvidea onboard, 512 Meg DDR Ram XP Pro SP2 running USB or Firewire Port it recognizes the camera even to its model. Still working to figure this one out.

Windows and JVCs solutions do not work either.

Unregistered guest
hey experts,

I need a little bit of help with my JVC GR-D73AA digital video camera. I recently bought one but was not supplied with a installation disk to use it with my computer. I have though already on my harddrive image mixer 1.0 but thats for a sony digital camera. Is there anyway i can install the camera onto my computer without the installation disk or use it with image mixer 1.0? Your help will be much appreaciated..thanks :-)

BarARanch
Unregistered guest
Please go back to basics with me..I have been using my JVC GR DV90 mini DV digital for 2 years and am finally brave enough to try hooking it up to my brand new Dell (I know) 4700 inspiron which I bought with DVD burner. Now it seems from reading above I need a firewire. Where does that hook into my computer? How do I know what kind? Hopeless here in Idaho.

If you bought the basic Dell DIMENTION 4700 (not an inspiration) from what I found it does not have a Firewire port (Two front USB ports with a Head Phone Jack and 4 USB ports in the back). You would have to buy a PCI Firewire card and install it. Did yyour Camera come with a Firewire cable? Does your camera support a mini DV and USB plug in?

Back to my problem with not being able to get the camera to connect. JVC GR DV500U. Older style but good working. Was using a C-Box Firewire port to connect it but it would not recognise. Switched to a Nvidia Firewire port on the back of the computerr, (yea it is crawl under and behind desk to find) and after deleting Windows Nvidia Display and other drivers and downloading Nvidias own drivers now can capture video very well. Running WinXPPro SP2.

Unregistered guest
I have purchased a JVC GR-270U. My Dell XP will not recognise the camera and we cannot capture the still pictures from the camera. Everyone keeps referring to a Firewire............what is that? I can get the video to transfer from the camera to my computer, but I cannot get the still pictures on the computer. Help!!

Anonymous

I have a GR-D31u JVC mini dv that is not seen by OS w2k server sp3 via firewire 4/6 pin. I have tried all connection sequences. un/re-installed FW , uninstalled all related recently installed apps/drivers, Called JVC (big help that was) and rtfm as best one can.

Question: are all 4 pin cables created equal? the manual shows 2 core filters on the DV cable whereas the 4-6 pin i am using has none.

Is there a substantial difference between 1394 and 1394a? if so could this cause OS not to see the JVC?

Has anyone had any dealings with a gr-d31u? Its not listed at JVC and is just a spec on google

tia

-i

hhbming
Unregistered guest
I have a Compaq HP laptop running on WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed. I am using JVC GR D290 but my laptop cannot see my camera whether I use USB or DV.

When I use USB, my laptop can see the photos in the SD card but I have no access to video.

When I use DV, my laptop cannot see either SD card or video.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.hhb

BenM
Unregistered guest
I've just bought a laptop (HP zd8000) with a built-in firewire port and i've got a DV camcorder with firewire as well (lucky me...)

But although I can capture video using Windows Movie Maker, I can't capture it using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Connecting my camcorder to the firewire on my desktop computer, I am able to capture video with Premiere Pro (so that means the camera, cable, etc are fine.)

Both the laptop and the desktop are kept up-to-date (XP service pack 2) so I'm assuming that it must have something to do with the laptop's fireware hardware, drivers?

Is it possible to use 'Device Control' within Premiere Pro via a laptop's in-built firewire port?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for answers?

Thank you in advance.

Ben

HeatherB60
Unregistered guest
I guess I must have gotten a cheap camera because I can't get the video off of it. We have the GR-D33U model. There is no memory card for this model. I tried connecting it via the IEEE 1394 port. I can play the video using the controls on the computer through Windows Movie Maker but no video is transferred. We have video of our baby walking for the first time on this tape and Birthdays, I really do not want to lose it all! Any help? (Please use simple and detailed directions, I know nothing!)

Unregistered guest
Dear All-Knowing,

I have a JVC dig. camcorder model # GR-D290U which I got at Costco. I finally learned how to download stills onto my Dell Latitude 500. But my biggest problem is "capturing video". I have a tape in the camera and it's not reading it, black preview screen. When I go to Windows Movie Maker and hit "capture video" it says a video capture devicewas not detected. I'm connected through my USB port. I got the still photos that way, why can't I get the motion videos? Do I need a 1394?

Help...HElp...HELp....HELLLLLLLLP me please.

Unregistered guest
Hi ,
I recently bought a JVC GR-D250 camcorder. But i am not able to connect properly to my PC (win XP).
It says , unkown device or driver could not be found .

Can any one help me pls?
Thanks
Raj

Gold Member

Post Number: 4415
ryan,
You need a 1394. USB will not work.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DCR-HC42 NTSC DV Handycam. I have a dell Inspirion Laptop w/ Firewire port preloaded. But, now that I am ready to transfera dn then edit my video, I realized that my camcorder only has an A/V output, and my computer does not have A/V input. How can I get around this to transfer my video to my PC? Is there a "linking" hardware piece that I can buy that will work to connect my A/V camera port to my firewire port on my computer? I am using the ULEAD Video Studio 9 for editing etc & Running XP.
Any wisdom and expertise?

desyd
Unregistered guest
hi i recently got the jvc gr-d270ex and i got a firewire card and cable as well but i still can not stream video on to my pc .it will connect for about 3 seconds and then disconnect and say my camera is not responding.any ideas
cheers

fiz100
Unregistered guest
hi,

i seem to have lost my jvc cd software. the camera is the Gr-D270. would anyone have a copy or do you know where i can obtain it online. JVC has it for sale at USD 39

lostincableworld
Unregistered guest
I have a Jvc digital video camera but im having trouble getting it on my computer for editing, I've already bought a firewire cable that will work with my camera but as far as my computer goes, is a usb cable going to work or not? i do not have a firewire port and i dont want to buy a usb cable and have to take it back because it doesnt fit my camera. suggestions?

smc
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-DVM5U and have connected to a VAIO VGN-FS700 computer via PCMCIA card and firewire but the computer does not recognise the camcorder. Is this because the Camcorder is 5 years old and out of da te- it still takes good video. I have this stuff from a recent safari that I would like to edit. Help' FRUSTRATED DAMSEL

Unregistered guest
hi, i'm using imagemixer ver. 1.7 with jvc gr-d73u. all the drivers that are in the cd that comes along with the product are already installed. however, i'm unable to create a video cd from a tape in the camera. when the process reaches the part converts image data and sound data a notice saying "easyvcd has caused an error and will now close" appears. anyone pls help me on this. thanks.

Wonderboy
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,
I own a JVC GR-D270u mini DV camera. I am having problems captureing my video from my DV tape to my eMachine using XP home. I have read from the posts above that I should get a firewire card and a firewire cable to fix that problem. I have also recently purchaced Ulead VideoStudio 9. Do I need to buy the firewire card and cable or can I still use USB to capture video... or am I missing a driver? If anyone has any answers on this related topic, It would be greately appreciated.

Thanks For Listening!

Wonderboy
Unregistered guest
Okay, I've answered my own question. Firewire is the way to go with the JVC GR-D270u camera. I'm really not sure about USB, but I do know that firewire works absolutely beautifully. With firewire you really can't go wrong. (unless you get a flaky card of course.)

FedUp
Unregistered guest
HI, I also just bought the JVC GR-D290 and spent all day trying to figure out how to transfer video. As a poster further up says...just get a firewire card from CPC ( if in UK ) they are now reduced to under a Tenner and come with a lead and software, it solves the problem straight away ( I'm using Win98SE) http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10649&N=411

Anonymous

hi there. i receive a GR-D250 camcorder but need the 1394 card; this is a pcmcia card of notebook?
how i can connect te camera to my laptop pc???
the camera goes without drivers????
help me compadres!!

rustylegg
Unregistered guest
hi can anyone tell me how to format amemory card all i seem to be getting is blue screen and frozen eggtimer

rustylegg
Unregistered guest
It's Rustylegg again, I forgot to mention that its a JVC GR D270. I'm new to all this, is this a common fault with the memory card. I have connected the camcorder to the USB cable and I cant format the card, it just freezes me out. I have read all regarding the "Fire wire and card" (which I now know I need). Thanks for the help I couldn't get anything to work at all with the USB cable.

Nik Stamenov
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,

Recently I bought a JVC GR-D290 camcorder and, as many on this forum, I experienced difficulties in transferring my videos to the PC using the usb cable provided. What solved my problem was installing ALL of the updates available for my operating system, Windows XP Service Pack 2, from the Microsoft website. After that, when I connected my camcorder to the computer using the usb cable, the operating system found automatically the required driver (driver is not required to read the memory card in the camcorder, but only to read the tape). I have to point out that during this process I was connected to internet -- I am not sure how significant this is, but it is possible that the driver was retrieved from the Microsoft's site, if it hadn't already come with the updates I installed earlier.
After establishing a connection between my computer and the camcorder, I was able to use the Windows Movie Maker as well as the software supplied with the camcorder, PowerDirector3, to download the videos. I also used the mains supply during all of the time my camcorder was connected to the computer as per JVC's recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Username: Beto

Sto. dgoDominican re...

i have a jvc gr-d290, when i presses the button for rec nothing happens, still in pause

Simon28
Unregistered guest
Nik Stamenov, you manage to get your videos across from cam jvc gr270 to pc, how was the quality of the videos? Did they lose any clarity and colors?

Dale. F
Unregistered guest
Hey, I recently brought a JVC GR-DVL109 camcorder, and a firewire card (1394 PCI card) and installed it in my pc. I can connect the camcorder with the cable provided, and when I connect the camcorder, in play mode for example, WindowsXP pro SP2, with firewire cable, it will make the two tone sound, to show the device is connected, then a few seconds later the two tone sound to show it's disconected even though it is still connected.

The firewire card works fine and has 4 usb2.0 sockets work fine and connect devices ok, only the Firewre connection to my camcorder is the problem. I tried that patch for SP2 and restarted the PC but that didn;t solve the problem.

It just won't stay connected to the pc, and doesn't appear on the device manager or "My computer". Is there anything I can do which might get it to recognise the camera on my pc?

Nik Stamenov
Unregistered guest
Simon28,

My camera is JVC GR-D290, not 270, so I don't know what the quality of a video would be after transferring it from GR-D270 to a pc. In my case with my GR-D290 the video looks fine. The only comparison I can make is after watching the video on a TV set and then watching it on the pc -- to my eye the two pictures look the same.

Username: Roxxie

I'm a real green newbie who needs some help. I have a JVC GR-D31U dv camcorder and want to download the video to my computer to edit it. The port on the camera is 4-pin firewire and I also have a 4-pin firewire port on my Compaq laptop. I know I have to purchase a 4 pin to 4 pin cable but what do I ask for? All the cables I've seen look like USB on one end and a smaller thing on the other end. Can somebody help?

Username: Muneerclassic

Dubai, Dubai UAE

I have GR-D93AS but I could not install driver for that in windows XP. What software should I install in the PC (XP) in order connect camera? where can I download it?

Username: Kenny0804

Hi,

I have a JVC Mini DV GR-270 connected via firewire to a WinXP (Home Edition) decent spec Dell PC. I am able to record and capture video with no problem ..... except for 1 tape that was recorded recently.
I am able to -
Play the tape in the camera - view the video and hear sound.
I am not able to -
Capture video to PC. Using various video capture software I get the same results, no video displayed when trying to capture - sound is audible through the camera (and picture displays on the camera) but image wont preview or capture. Any ideas?

Other info -
* Not sure if I did a 'Blank Search' (to seek next recordable spot on tape) before recording. Does this matter?
* When replaying tape on Camera it says 12-bit (usually says 16-bit) in top left of display.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Username: Paulcee

Hi All,

I have an answer for people for people who need to enable their unrecognised USB device to capture Video/Camera..... see below....

Mostly, Yahoo and other video/cam software can seriously crash you computer dues to bad registry settings implemented by MCE 2005 (Windows Media Centre 2005) It can also come about due to a conflict in software.

Changes made to the following registry settings pointing to the hardware device and necessary codec should fix this... Google this and see this post >>>> "FIX: Yahoo webcam will not recognise with MCE 2005" or follow this link if it's still valid... http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/help-hardware/8427-fix-yahoo-webcam-wi ll-not-recognise-mce-2005-a.html

Good luck...
Paulcee

Username: Mathew

New Delhi

I have also bought a JVC GR D-270 camcorder which also included a firewire card and port. With the given software, I could not transfer the movie from the camcorder to the PC. I tried Ulead also, but could not succeed. Then, I read from the Internet that Pixela can be used for transfer. So I loaded pixela and I could capture the movie to the PC. However, besides taking a lot of time, the file was in MPG format. While making the Video CD (using Niro CD writer) a message came up indicating that the file needs to be encoded for making video CD. I pressed OK and after a very long time, the VCD was created. However, the final output, when played from the CD player, was not so good. The clarity had gone down. Can any one help? Is it because of Pixela or Niro? Thanks.
Mathew

Username: Roxxie

I posted awhile back regarding a JVC model GR31U mini dv camera and the fact that I couldn't capture the video. Here's how I solved the problem. I bought a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable off some internet site for only $3.50 plus shipping for a total of around $4.95. Then, I loaded Pinnacle software onto my laptop, plugged the camera into the laptop and VOILA! I was able to capture the video from the camera and then turn it into a CD that I can play on my home player and really didn't lose any clarity at all. Of course, this was a very slow process so I'm thinking my laptop, which is running XP Home, is not powerful enough. This process took a few hours. I don't have a video capture card in my main computer so the next time I do this, I guess I will get a card for my other computer and see if its faster.

Just wanted to let you all know that I never loaded any drivers or anything on my laptop before doing this....just the software. Try Pinnacle and see if it helps.

Username: Marcie

Corning, NY United States

Hi I bought a JVCGRD250-U digital video camera for my daughter who moved to Guam. When she got it and used it she was happy until she went to put it on her computer and make a DVD. Then she saw the sentence that said for PC only. She has a MAC. She can connect the two vie firewire cables. Her brothers say then she should be able to do something if she had the right software. Does this make sense and can she do It. I am really surprised so many people have had trouble using the camera with a PC. We are very disappointed that this was not written on the package as we would not have bought it. Her brother is the manager at the Wallmart Photo and he sold it to us and did not know it. He also has a Mac. Help, Im trying to help her. There is no support in Guam! She does have the internet and Ill hook her up if you have a suggestion. Thanks I hope!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7679
Has she connected the video camera yet? She does not have to load the program, just connect the camera. You can also try contacting Apple via the internet. Their support has always been outstanding.

Username: Metaldom

I have a Mustek dv 3500 camera, i searched on the internet, on it's description says.. it works as an excelent webcam... but. how????!!!

Username: Delynnfox

ok.. i have a jvc gr-d333u, attached to my computer by firewire It works find to capture video and sound in windows media player and such.. But when i use it to webstream i get no sound? Can someone help? delynnfox@yahoo.com

Username: Dick7777

Hy
evry 1 i just got a JVC GR-DX100 but it had no software with it n iv looked evry were 4 it and wen i conect it up 2 mt computer it wnt work and i dont no how 2 get the videos off the mini dv tape onto the computer any help would be most apreciated if an on has the drivers or help could they plz e-mail the 2 me on

dick_7777@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

Username: Sai_srajan

Hello sir,
I have purchased DCR 285E model sony handycam. When I transfered video files to my PC(P-IV, 40GB HD, 128MB RAM, XP OS)through the USB cable(provided along with the handycam)video quality will get reduce. To improve the quality, wether I have to go for PCI firewire card and cable, if yes, what will be the mobel number and cost which match the above configuration.
Kindly give the response.
e_mail: sai_srajan@yahoo.co.in

Username: Hotshot635

I need serious help.
I just got a JVC GR-D290 and i have no idea how to get the videos i take on to my computer... please someone help me out here.

New Delhi

To transfer video from the camcorder to the computer, you need to have (1)Firewire cable, that is, iLink IEEE 1394 - (Transferring with USB cable will lose so much clarity); (2)Proper software (Pinnacle is the best); (3) PC with at least 128MB of RAM and 500 MHz speed and at least 10 GB of hard-disk space for transferring movie from one DV tape. In addition, you will need a CD/DVD writer to burn the movie. After that you can delete the same from your hard disk and again download from the tape. If you need any clarification, please do write to me at Mathewv@searo.who.int

Username: Kaligriltoo

Bakersfield, CA USA

I have a problem...I have a Canon ZR80 MiniDV and I cant get it to work with my WinXP ...When I plug in the IEEE Firewire to my USB on my puter it just says Unknown device..although I don't need any drivers for this device what do I do? And also would my SM Bus Controller have anything to do with my problem? Since it says my SMBus Controller doesnt have drivers loaded...yet windows xp doesnt find any drivers for it PLEASE HELP!!!

Username: 30720lamorena

Dalton, Georgia U.S.A

I just need to record with my gr-d270u....i can take pictures but I don't see a rec. button on it and when I bought my camcorder it didn't come with the instructions manual.
Thanks,
Diana

Username: Shawnlett2004

I have a JVC GR-D270U and I am running Windows XP SP2. I have a firewire card installed. I wish to exploit a couple of things I heard I can do with a DV camera. One is I want to use my DV-camcorder as a analog-to-digital converter to copy my collection of VHS over to DVD. I'm not sure how this can be done with this particular model. It has no analog hookups. I want to go from VCR to DV-camcorder to computer. Secondly, I would like to use this same camcorder as a webcam periodically. Is purchasing an SD card the only solution to getting this running with a USB cord? I have it hooked up successfully with a firewire already. It worked the first time I tried to transfer video to the computer. I just don't see a way to use this as a webcam with the firewire. I noticed many people seem to have had a problem with this camcorder but it works great for me.

Username: Demonwind

Oklahoma city, Oklahoma Usa

i have a JVC GZ-MG21u hdd camcorder. im trying to set it up as a webcam but no luck. i heard that i could use a firewire but neither my camcorder or computer have firewire hook ups, and for some reason my computer will only recognize the camcorder as data instead of a camara.

can any one help me?

Username: Julie_s

I have read through most of these questions and haven't seen this one posted yet, so here goes....

I have a JVC GR-D290. I bought a firewire to transfer my videos to my computer. Everything seemed to be going smoothly. Using the software that came with the camera, I think it is called Power Producer 2, I made my attempt. It seemed to be working (although I was just seeing a black screen), but then a box popped up that said there was a problem. It said something like "Make sure your camera is in VCR mode." What does that mean? Any ideas?

Username: Güerosalsero

I own a JVC GR270 camcorder and a brand new laptop running Windows XP. I connected a firewire for the first time today in order to capture the video and import it into Windows Moviemaker. Everything was going smoothly when all of a sudden my system crashed. It came up with a message on the screen but that disappeared before I could read it. The computer went black and then rebooted on its own. I received a cryptic Microsoft error message http://oca.microsoft.com/es/response.aspx?SGD=86eb0949-a3cc-4138-b41c-bdace48d95b2&SID=10 . In short, it says something about an unknown device controller. Has anyone else out there had their system crash when trying to do a video capture? Is this problem specific to JVC camcorders? I'm frustrated and don't want to have to buy another camera. Help! If you have an answer or comment, please be so kind as to cc a copy to exercise_physio@yahoo.com. Thank you.

New Delhi

I was capturing video from my JVC GR 270 to the PC and creating VCDs. The rendering process used to take nearly two hours for a single tape (60 minutes) and I thought it is a very long time. Yesterday, I thought of creating a DVD to see the quality. It started rendering at 7:00 p.m. yesterday and, believe it or not, it finished around 12:00 noon today! (almost 17 hours). Could someone tell me what is wrong. Luckily, there was no power failure. Otherwise, it would not have been completed. I will never ever try to make a DVD in my life unless this rendering time can be improved. I will be grateful for some guidance. Thanks.

Username: Barton71

Could it be down to the software you are using to capture and burn your DVD, or even your PC spec?
I got a JVC GR-D270 last week and ive made a couple of DVD's using Nero 6. The video capture take the length of time of the video and the burning takes a few mins. You can pick Nero 6 OME version up for next to nothing if you shop about. I actualy got my version for 1 penny + P&P, when i bought some other software.

Shawn Smith. The only way i could get my JVC GR-D270 to work as a webcam using the firewire, was to remove the tape from the video camera, then switch it to manual or automatic. I managed to get it working with MSN Messenger, but Yahoo messenger wont see it.

Diana Chairez. Mke sure the switch next to the LCD display is in the "Video" position. Switch the camera to Manual or Automatic, then press the button located to the right of the battery, to start/pause recording.

New Delhi

Mr Mcleod, I was using Pinnacle studio 8. I have the Niro installed for writing to the DVD which is activated by Studio 8 itself for burning the DVD. Capture time and burning time are OK. The time of 17 hours was taken only for the rendering which was done by Studio 8. Niro can only burn the DVD, it does not capture. When I did the same thing for writing to the VCD, the rendering time was less than 2 hours. But, of course, the quality of the DVD version was nearly 100%. However, the time is a big problem, especially due to the possibility of powercuts. Is there any way, the rendering can be done little by little?

Hi Mathew. Nero 6 does capture video from your DV video camera, and burns the DVD. Make sure your camera is in play back mode, then start Nero StartSmart, and select DVD from the drop down menu at the top, then hover your cursor over Favorites, "Make Your Own DVD", should be there be default. Once you have clicked on "Make Your Own DVD", select "Capture Video" from the menu on the right of the screen. Once you have clicked on "Capture Video", select DVD from the drop down menu, and configure it to your own settings. From this stage, simply press the record button and your movie will be transfered to your PC. Once this is done, just follow the instructions on screen to burn your DVD.
I just made an 18 min long DVD of a family event, and the whole process, from start to finish took about 25 mins. I hope this helps you.

New Delhi

Post Number: 5
Thank you so much Mr Mcleod. If it works that way, it will be a great relief. I will try that and will let you know. Thanks again. Mathew

Username: Ronel27

Can anybody help me with problem. I have a Mini-DV gr-d33u model, but it doesn't seem to work out fine. WHen i start pressing the selecting A, I should be expecting that I would see a preview of what I want to record but all I see is dark screen, but when I try playing an old recorded tape using my Mini-dv it works out fine. What can be my problems. ASAP guys! thanks.

New Delhi

Mr Mcleod, I tried with Nero StartSmart as suggested by you. Unfortunately, there is no option called "Make Your Own DVD". There is option only to burn DVD from existing files. No provision to capture from a camcorder. However, when I point the cursor to the "Make movies" option, a message comes stating "you can capture and make movies". But the option under that is only to create DVD from files on the hard-disk. I do not know why I am not getting the "capture" option. Thanks. Mathew

I`ll post some screen shot Mathew, maybe that will help. What version of Nero are you using. Ive been using Nero 6.

Post Number: 7
I probably didn't explain it too well in my post, so here are some screen shots, which might make it better to understand.

Username: Eveney

I have JVC mini dv NTSC GR-DVM5U AND I LOST MY CONNECT FOR WHILE MOVING A FEW YEARS AGO AND I NEED THE CONNECTORS FOR VEIWING ON T.V OR WINDOWS XP2000

Gold Member

Post Number: 8366
Of course you are going to need connectors, can't you buy them where you are now?

Username: Tinypet

can anyone tell me how i can get windows messenger to recognise my cam as a webcam? it keepd saying in the webcam setup that it cant detect the cam because it may b in use with another program. i had problems with transferring vids via usb with the same cam but after 6 hrs i managed to get it working. its just the webcam i want up and running now. can anyone help?

Username: Bgrmckay

Help needed! I recently bought a JVC GR-D340E DV camera and need to transfer my recordings onto Windows Movie Maker to edit. I bought a Firewire cable separately and have been trying unsuccessfully to transfer my stuff across. Unfortunately, movie maker does not detect my camera. I have tried all the usual - turning it off and then on again etc... but it's still not working. Am I missing some software or anything else for that matter?

Username: Vickiw

I have a JVC GR-D290u and i am finding it really hard to get my hands on the drivers i need to download in order to transfer my video to my computer if any one has an adress i can find them at or a copy that i can download please help me its impossible

Vicki

Username: Vickiw

any one have any ideas on a way to download the drivers for the JVC GRD290U please email me HELP????

Username: 1gavinr

i have a jvc mini dv model no GR-D31EK and have recently got a firewire to connect to my lap top. the laptop recognises the camera and i have windows movie maker and jvc image mixer installed on to use with the video recorder. The problem im having is that i cant seem to load the footage i have saved on the camera to the laptop to edit, when i try to open the folder for the camera its blank.
How do i upload footage i have already taken to the computer.
Any help would be very appreciated.

Username: Tinypet

Camcorder / Drivers / Webcam problems???
Hi there, anyone with a JVC cam and cant get drivers? A secret, i bought a JVC GRD200EK from currys, just the unit, no batt, disc, manual, just the cam. Recked my Brains tryin to find the drivers, u cant get them. First have a look on jvc website and c if its in any of their downloads, mine wasn't. Failing that go to www.partmaster.co.uk. they have a wide variety of parts for electronics. discs, remotes, anything at all. I'm sure u will find it there. £9.99 for my disc. also i had problems connecting my cam up for webcam. it just wouldnt work, kept saying im using it already with another program, i tried searching for that program it connected itself to and still had no luck. Browsing the internet one day and come across a program called 'SPLITCAM'. you can use your camcorder with different programs at once without having to cut off one program and use it with another. Its works a treat now. im really happy and my hair is still in!!!!!

Username: Joebloggs

JVC D275U - I was led to believe I can use this cam as a webcam also. Is this true? If so how do I go about doing this? Thanks

Username: Joebloggs

can someone tell me something about life video streaming. I am getting married in a few days in Panama and would love to enable my family and friends back in Australia to be able to watch the ceremony live online. I have no idea on how to do this in a quality way. If you have some suggestions please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks
Paul

Username: Spunkylilboo

e read a ton of these forums and it seems people have been able to transfer movies from their JVC GR-D270U. I have a firewire cable and I can get the PC to recognize the camera but it won't let me transfer the video that I have recorded on the mini DV tape in the camera to the PC. When I try to open the camera it looks as though there is nothing showing up on the tape. Help Please!!

Username: Spunkylilboo

I should clarify, I don't want to capture video while I use the PC. I want to download video which I have already recorded on the tape to the PC so that I can email it to family members.

Post Number: 8
What application are you using to transfer your videos from the camera to the PC?

Username: Gary213

I just bought a new JVC Everio G series camcoder GZ-MG505AS with a 30GB HDD. It has only USB2, S-Video and AV output but no iLink IEEE 1394 output. I'm able to transfer the files as well as acess the HDD from my PC. but no chance to capture video or use it as web cam. Any help.

Post Number: 9
I dont think you can use it to capture video or as a web cam. The reason its not got a fire wire port, is because you aren't transferring video streams from the camera to your PC, but rather you are transferring video files. Where as on a camera that uses a tape, you are streaming the video on to your HDD.

Username: Palmwork

I have a JVC GR-DV500U camcorder.
It was showing "720" for the highest resolution when I first purchased it.
However, after I uploaded the video to my PC using USB cable, it changed to "640" for resolution.
Is there anyway that I can change it back to "720" resolution?
I have been playing around the manual setting but I still cannot find the resolution option for video.
Please help.

Username: York97015

I have a jvc gr-d270u and my computer will not recognize it at all. I want to put the video on my computer to burn to a disc. What am I doing wrong or is it the camera. The manual says to simply plug in the DV or firewire cable and nothing happens. Also the provided software will not install.

Username: Shemaine

I just bought a JVC Mini DVit said i can view these on my comupter but with a usb cord wont recognize it on video only the digital and I didn't realize that my computer has no fire wire ports I need help I want to edit my videos..

Username: Anneke_ml

Hi,
bought the JVC GR-D320 miniDV. Now want to get video on my notebook. In principle this could be done through the firewire connection but unfortunately dont have that onmy notebook. Instead of buying the (expensive) card with firewire connection for the notebook I found this firewire -USB (2.0) cable. However my notebook (windows XP, service pack 2) still does not recognize the video camera ... What's wrong ??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13964
Because you are using USB. It is unfortunate that you do not have a firewire connection, but that is what you need.

Username: Blearti

Hi everyone
I own JVC GR-D250U MiniDV Camcorder. I don't know how to tranfer family movies from tapes into laptop. I bought a 4P-4P cable (the one that fit on laptop and camcorder). I have Windows XP SP2 installed. Computer doesn't recognize at all new device. I try with add new harware from control panel....everything is working properly - it says.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you in advance

Username: Anneke_ml

Hi Artan

had the same problem. Whatever I tried my laptop (with windows vista) did not recognize the camcorder, not a single beep was heard :-)
In the end I brought it back to the store and had them check it out. It appeared that the firewire connection (4p-4p) at the camcorder was broken or didnt work properly. Mind you, in my case the MiniDV camcorder was only three weeks old so they fixed it free of charge !

cheers

Username: Pishta

I have a JVC GR-DX300U(S) and XP SP2, firewire and cable. I plug it in and I get unknown device, I tried to go to the Euro JVC site and downloaded the 3 drivers it recommended for XP. @ turned out to be NOT for XP and the third didnt do anything for my firewire (or more proper, Ilink--firewire uses 6 pins, 2 have power and use larger D shaped plugs, Ilink uses 4, no power and a smaller other end) Anyway, the moviemaker starts, asks questions on resolution, whether I want to record the entire disk or parts. I choose entire disk and the miniDV rewinds itself, so there is 2 way communication. Then as soon as it starts to upload the video, my screen goes to very low resolution repeating pattern of diagonal lines, and the PC crashes. I have to manually reboot and when I do, It wont boot up half the time with the 1394 cable plugged in. My 1394 card has a jumper that blocks power (set) and I think the speed is autonegotiating 100/200/400 through XP2 but cant confirm. I have the latest drivers for the card VIA VT6306 and cant locate any "drivers" for this camera, if any are even needed under XP. Can anyone Email me the disk that came with a GR-DX75/95/300? I have Ulead 8.0 on the driver disk for the firewire but no serial number was given to me. HELP! pishta68 at hotmail dot com

Username: Baltex

TuzlaBosnia and H...

I have JVC GR D73U, and I have problem with transfvering data to my computer via 1394 (ASUS laptop Z9200VA). Every time when I try to transfer video file in Adobe premier pro there is no results.Also I tried to adapt options on devices control, but with out success. Please is there anybody that can help me about this problem.
Thank you

Username: Salvibd

I have a JVC GR-DZ7AG camcorder. How can I transfer video from VIDEO tape to computer DVD? I tried by USB cable but if failed to do so. Help me?

Username: Toggigud

ReykjavíkIceland

I have a JVC GR-DX25EK digital video camera and I am trying to connect it to a MAC via USB but the imovie will not regognize the camera
Any solutions please?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 403
To use the USB, you need to install the JVC software which only works on Windows.

You are out of luck with the Mac.

Username: Chocofrogo

And so the old PC dies and the new laptop has only card readers and USB. What to now?

A Flip?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 475
The newest camcorders have switched over to USB.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us