Overlapping zoom ranges

Bronze Member
Username: Jackkessler

Post Number: 20
I recently was lucky enough to get a Nikon 18-200mm D VR2 zoom lens. I still have the 18-70mm D zoom that came in the kit with the camera. Is there any advantage at all to the older lens? Are there any occasions when I would want to shoot with it rather than the 18-200? Or is it a candidate for ebay?

I often read of people saying they sold this or that piece of photo equipment in favor of something else. Are they talking about ebay, or is there some other way to do this?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11390
Sell it Jack. There is no reason to keep it other than being a tad lighter.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 44
The *other* approach, and a possible reason to keep it is::
1. faster lens? is lens speed an issue? higher ISO #'s produce worse/noiser results:
2. Less distortion. Does the 18/200 have more pincushion or barrel distortion at the 18 end?
How do the 2 lenses look compared at 70mm?

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Post Number: 13
Jack- I know this is a little late, but I have owned both lens and recently sold the 18-200VR on Ebay. IMO my pictures were sharper and showed more contrast with my 18-70mm. Sometimes newer does not mean better, especially when it comes to camera lenses.

I also did not like the lens creep and thought the one lens solution would work. For me it did not. I now use the 18-70, 70-300 VR and 12-24 for wide angle with my D70, mostly the first two lenses.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us