Archive through August 08, 2005

Username: Tammi

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

Post Number: 4
TRY SORRY DIDENT WORK TY FOR HELPING ME AND GIVING MORE ADVISE GROMIT

Username: John4438

Orange Park, FL US

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC DVL9800 Mini DV format camcorder. I have it connected to my computer using a firewire cable and card.

I can use it effectively as a webcam on Eyeball chat. The picture is fine on both ends. It is not recognized in Yahoo Messenger.

Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 232
Tammi,

OK, at this point you need to refer to my full "connection problems" debugging cookbook (mostly my own work but thanks to Chico and Berny who also contributed). Item 15 is almost certainly superceded by the XP update you have already tried and is only included for your reference.:

1) Disconnect USB and just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills. Having the USB connection present might possibly cause a problem
2) If by any chance you have TWO types of firewire interface in your PC (one built-in, one PCI/PCMCIA card), physically remove the external card, and try connecting to the in-built port. If still no good, check in Device Manager that the internal device is OK. If you were using a PCI/PCMCIA card because of problems with an in-built card, make sure the in-built device is really disabled.
3) If you are using a laptop with built-in firewire, try to get your hands on a PCMCIA firewire card and use that instead as an experiment. This fixed the problem for one user with a Sony laptop. Make sure you disable the in-built device when doing this.
4) Play around a bit to make sure there is no "sequence" issue affecting you. By this I mean experimenting with connecting and turning the camera on before, or during the capture programme running
5) Look in Device Manager to check if both your 1394 controller and camcorder are present and correct. The 1394 controller should show up the whole time. The camcorder should show up when you connect it and turn it on, then disappear when you turn it off.
6) If you have any doubts about your firewire card, debug as follows: Turn off your camcorder and unplug it from the computer. Remove/uninstall the firewire on your device manager. Restart the computer, wait until windows re-installs the firewire. Re-start again, then wait until the pc is booted up completely. With your camcorder still switched off, plug it in using firewire, then power it on.
7) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
8) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
9) Re-instal your capture software.
10) Re-download and re-install your capture software
11) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave (my favourite)
12) Think whether have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards
13) Think about whether you have installed any hardware that might be causing a conflict. Not a very common problem these days but still a possibility. Check via Device Manager.
14) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa to work out, through a process of elimination, where the problem lies. Remember that capture will only work if the camera, cable, firewire card and PC are all OK.
15) If you are completely stuck, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html

Hope that somewhere in this list I hit the nail on the head. Please let me know what eventually fixes it so I can keep enhancing this knowledge base for the benefit of other users.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
John,

I almost hate to say this after preaching the benefits of firewire non-stop for the last few months, but is it possible that Yahoo wants to see a USB connected device?

Apart from that, have you looked at Yahoo's own debugging list for "webcam not recognized"?:

You may receive the "Sorry, no Webcam was found on your system" error for any of the following reasons:

* You don't have a webcam installed on your system.

* You have a webcam installed, but it is not plugged into your computer.

* Another application is using your webcam. Close other applications and try again.

* Other applications may have crashed or not released the camera. Try rebooting your system.

* Your camera may not have been installed correctly. Try reinstalling your camera.

* Messenger is using the incorrect camera device. Try changing the camera source.

* Your camera may not be configured correctly. Try configuring your camera.

* Your camera is not compatible with Messenger. Pleae take the webcam compatibility test.
UNQUOTE

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Gromit,
I have a JVC GR-D73us mini DV camcorder. I am running the JVC software and drivers on an HP Media Center 7067c. The OS is Windows XP 2002 sp2 Media Center Edition. The device will capture with the USB cable into the Image Mixer software included with the camcorder. It will not capture with the firewire. It also will not capture with the firewire or the USB with any of the pre-installed video-editing software including my own software, Power Director 4. It recognizes that it is connected as the play, stop FF and RW buttons control the camcorder, but the capture screen remains black and there is also no audio. Yes, the speakers are on, the recorded media is in the device and the device is in the playback mode. After speaking with Pixela (the makers of Image Mixer, included with the mini DVcam) they said the inability to capture with firewire is a common problem with some models of JVC. JVC denies this. Surprise, Surprise. HP said it was an "incompatability" issue with this DVcam as the pre-installed video-editing programs worked fine with my analog camcorder, but not my JVC mini cam. Can you reccomend a DV cam that does not have these issues, or a fix for this problem. I have tried several different compliant firewires and 4 different video-editing software programs. I am open for any advice. Side notes, the miniDVcam is about 10 months old and the Desktop has only been out on the market since the beginning of this year. This same miniDVcam and firewire captures on my old HP desktop, OS of Windows XP home 2002 sp2.
TonyaPing

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
TonyaPing,

I have myself commonly encountered the "black preview screen" problem, both on Win98SE and W2000, with both JVC and Canon cameras. In my case, the problem usually manifests after some glitch such as failure during DV transfer (my PC is a bit old for all this stuff) and always clears after rebooting. So I rather strongly suspect that the problem is Windows-related. Of course, it would be worth trying a friend's DV camcorder on your new system, but I doubt that changing your camera is the ONLY way to fix this.

Bearing in mind all you have already done, I'll suggest a few lines to investigate:

1) Microsoft's ambiguously described firewire patch for XP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

2) Ensure all USB devices are disconnected while you are trying to transfer via firewire.

3) If you are using a built-in firewire port on your new PC, try a PCI card (AND make sure the on-board port is disbaled). Or, if you are already using a PCI port, first check that any on-board port is disabled and/or try that on-board port instead.

4) This is really dumb suggestion: just make sure you haven't got a PAL/NTSC setting problem.

5) Re-installing your firewire card using normal processes to remove/replace is always worth a try.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "several different compliant firewires"?

PLEASE let me know how this pans out.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Gromit,
To all those frustrated with their JVC mini DV camcorders. Several different mini DV cams worked great on my new PC, so I returned my JVC and exchanged it for a Panasonic....it works great! Thanks Gromit for all you do for everyone posting to this board, your awesome! I was too frustrated to continue to mess with it.
TonyaPing

Username: Dark_angel

I've read a lot of the above posts and many paeople save similar problems to me. I recently bought a JVC GR-DX77EK. I've installed all of the Drivers and added software, but the computer will not pick up the camera once I have connected it via USB. I mean, not at all. No icon appears on the removable storage discs section on my comp.
Do I need a Firewire card, and if so does that reqire a port of some kind at the back?
I would appreciate any help,
thanks,

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
TonyaPing,

Many thanks for the kind words and glad you solved the problem somehow. Shame we couldn't fix the JVC, though.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Chris,

Yes, the first steps are to get a firewire card, bundled with a firewire cable and video capture software. PCI cards for desktop and PCMCIA cards for laptop are both readily available, cheap, and easy to instal. Check first that your PC has the correct spec - and that you don't already have a firewire port on your computer!

Hope that helps.

Username: Dark_angel

Post Number: 2
Yes, it helps a lot, Thanks for the advice.
My system is XP so i suppose my spec will be OK.
I'll check anyway, thanks again,
Chris

Unregistered guest
Dear Sir, I have JVC Model No. GR-D33AS. I am unable to install on it on my computer. I need the software for it. Please send me your advice how can I get the software.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Imdullah,

Are you sure you need software? Normally, to connect your camcorder to your PC, you just need a firewire card plus cable and supplied capture software (or free Moviemaker in Windows XP) and you are up and running.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Chris,

Just a footnote here, I was talking about processor speed, HDD capacity/speed etc to make sure you don't lose information during capture. I'd recommend at least 1GHz CPU and 20G free space on your HDD which should be 7200 rpm if poss.

Best of luck.

Goldfarb
Unregistered guest
OK... here is my problem.

I own a JVC GR-D72 mini DV camcorder. I recently bought and installed a firewire card for my PC.
I have captured video from my camcorder before using USB, but when attempting to capture using firewire, I receive a completely black preview screen. I am able to control my camera (fast forward, rewind, play, stop, etc.), but when I try to capture video (using Adobe Premiere Pro, Windows Movie Maker, or ImageMixer), it will not capture anything. With ImageMixer, it says that the record time is too short, and in WMM and ADP, it will not record any frames ("0 frames captured, 0 frames dropped).
I have completely uninstalled my firewire card, but upon reinstall it still does not work.
I have a fairly high-end Dell computer with Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I have read in above posts that SP2's drivers are known for their inability to capture DV video using firewire. As such, I have downloaded the "patch" from Microsoft, but it still will not work.
I don't want to try and install SP1 on my computer, seeing as how my computer was made after SP2 was released.
In addition, I have tried the "turn on computer, plug in camcorder, turn on camcorder, reboot computer" method, and I still have no results.
If anyone has any suggestions, please help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Goldfarb,

If the post above from TonyaPing is accurate (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then a JVC owner with a very similar model to you failed completely to connect to his PC with a JVC camcorder, took the JVC back and exchanged for a Panasonic - and - hey presto! - all his problems were solved. That being so, I suggest you try a friend's camera on your PC for comparison. We never worked out why the JVC wouldn't connect.

Try another camera as an experiment first then let's take it from there (assuming you haven't returned the JVC in the meantime).

Cheers

Omo1
Unregistered guest
Gromit,
I have got a mini dv GR-DX25ek and have been unable to install it on my computer,please help.
I have seen you solving some jvc camcoder problems
Thanks,look forward to the solution and also to others who have heard the same problem and are willing help,
cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Omo1,

Are you referring to a problem with USB connection, or firewire?

Also, please clarify exactly what is your objective.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,
I just wanted you all to know that I purchased a JVC GR-270 DVC about 2 months ago. I was having problems: The USB connection only recognized the SD card, not the tape with Windows Movie Maker. I did not have a firewire connection, and based on the input here, I was concerned that installing one would do no good. HOWEVER, I went to Circuit City and bought Dazzle* DV Clip, intalled the firewire hardware and software myself and it now downloads perfectly. I am so pleased with my self (a somewhat unsophisticated user). Please note I have a Dell (2001), Windows Home XP, and previously downloand the SP2.. It can be done, but I never would have been successful without all your imputs, especialy Gromit. Thank you all for your participation. John III

Clarkos
Unregistered guest
Can you use the JVC GR-D230 as a webcam through usb? Please help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Clarkos,

According to this website:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?JVC-GRD230

yes; although other user reviews I have seen say "did not work as a webcam". Maybe the instal process is not very straightforward or there are some compatibility isues?...

Good luck!

Anonymous

I just purchased a JVC GR-D270U and have been unsuccessful in getting a USB connection to transfer video. The manual clearly provides connection instructions for both USB and Firewire for the purpose of transferring video from the DV tape. I called JVC and was instructed that I needed to buy a firewire card, a cable, and third party software before I could transfer video. I told them what the manual states. They told me they were sorry but the unit will not work on USB. I will be returning it because it is costing me a bundle to keep buying the pieces that should come with the unit. It didn't even come with a DV tape and caused me to have to go back to the store for that. I am very disappointed with JVC. With all that said, is there a good DV Camcorder out there that will do USB transfers with out having to spend an additional $500?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Anonymous,

The bundle that JVC is talking about should be available for only about US $20, and will almost certainly work much better than USB. That is true regardless of the brand you select. Furthermore, no manufacturers supply firewire cards as (obviously) the requirements for laptops and desktops are different, plus some new PCs have firewire built in.

If, in general, you are happy with the JVC, I am not sure I would recommend returning it on the grounds you describe above. However, if you tried - and were unsuccessful - to connect using firewire (see "Goldfarb" above), then that is a different matter.

Hope that helps.
PS: trying to remember back, I don't THINK that any of the 3 DV camcorders I have purchased (2 JVC, 1 Canon) have ever been supplied with a blank tape.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, Gromit. I was just venting after getting the typical "We don't care" customer service response. It would have been nice if JVC had put a list of the included components on the box so I would have known the tape wasn't included and they shouldn't specify their product can do things it can't. I will try the firewire solution at least to get what I have recorded off the tape. Firewire makes the device less usable because it doesn't come standard on most PC's, I would have to buy adapters for the 5 PC's I have at home and I can't dump recordings while visiting family and friends. I may just invest in a mini-DVD unit which would be much more portable. Thanks again.

cTorres
Unregistered guest
Yeah I just got the GR-D270U model. I tried uploading some footage onto the computer using the USB cable. Im unfamiliar with this camcorder and I dont really know the lingo's that you guys use. It said something about an Unknown Device and that I need a driver or somthing. That it couldnt be recognized. Is there a place where I can DL something for it to work? By the way, when I did this, i didnt have a memory card. I am buying an SD card this weekend. I also wanted to know what you mean when you say firewall and firewall cable? Does it come with it or do you buy this seperatly and how much? I really dont wanna put a lot of money into this just so I can upload it. I really want it to work so If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thx

P.S. I have a Windows XP

Anonymous

how do i turn my GR-D72 camcorder into a webcam?!?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/webcamdv.html !?!?

Username: John4438

Orange Park, FL US

Gromit. This package from Orangeware is terrific. I thought I was going to be disppointed with the 10 minute time limitation on the free trial. But I was up and running in much less than that.

Thanks for the lead.

I was running with something else but it was causing XP Pro to crash. So far so good with WebCamDV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
John,

Thanks for the feedback - you are the first person to give me a report back on the product's functionality.

Have fun!

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Dear Sir,
Please let me know what is the price of this software and how I can get the S/W? I am unable to run this camera with my computer. Please help me in this regard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Imdadullah,

Which software are you referring to? If you are referring to the webcam software, see the link I gave above.

Cheers.

beanbag
Unregistered guest
When I load the drivers off the cd it says they are for Windows 98 only, I have XP. So where can I get the drivers I need?

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
beanbag,

You are not detailing exactly what you are trying to do here, but if the CD supplied with your camcorder specifies that the drivers are only for Win98, it is a strong indicator that no additional drivers are required for operating systems newer than that. Why don't you give it a go and see if it works?

Cheers

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a JVCGr-D270 mini dv video camera and I cannot get my computer which uses XP to recognize that the camcorder is attached to the computer at all. I have been trying to find the XP driver for the camcorder and have not had any luck. How do I get my computer to recognize that the camcorder is attached to it? I purchased a video capture program for $150.00 and that did not help. Please help. Thank you so much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Roger,

Are you using firewire or USB?

Cheers.

Roger He
Unregistered guest
I have GR-D93AS but lost software CD for it. What software should I install in the PC (XP) in order connect camera? where can I download it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
Roger He,

If your objective is to transfer video, and you have firewire available in your computer, chances are you can simply use the Moviemaker software supplied as part of XP. Other packages are Ulead VideoStudio and Roxio VideoWave (my favourite). You can Google them.

Cheers

bugeyed49er
Unregistered guest
Gromit,
Have seen other sites on the internet that refer to JVC having specific driver problems with non TI based chip set fire wire cards. My JVC GRD250u only has fire wire connection, my Gateway with firewire does not recognize when camera is hooked up. I have seen this numerous times on different chats.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
bugeyed49er,

That is very interesting - thank you for the tip!

Have you tried fitting a TI-based PCI or PCMCIA firewire card? (Don't forget to disable the on-board card when you do this). Also, I have recently had a discussion with another user where it was revealed that (at least) JVC camcorders can have their firewire ports destroyed if connected to the PC while the power is on (info direct from JVC). That came as rather a shock to me.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Today hubby and I bought the JVC 270 model. We picked it over the 250 because of the USB connectivity. Well, imagine our surprise when in our manual paperwork there was a 'correction' paper that said that even though the manual said you can transfer video to your comp via USB, that's not actually true, and you have to use the DV cable-that's not supplied, of course. And our firewire card is a 3 pin device, so it looks like we'll have to go buy a new card AND cable...
Too bad we didn't go with the 250 since we're not using this for still images anyway!

Silver Member

Post Number: 294

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Do you need any assistance?

Cheers.

Username: Jeffscompaq

I have a GR-D72 also and I've tried Windows Movie Maker and WinDVD Creator with the firewire hookup. The programs control the CC but the capture doesn't capture. I've emailed JVC to see if my CC settings are correct and am waiting for an answer.

bugeyed49er
Unregistered guest
Gromit,
Not yet. Still upset that I have to do ANYTHING in order to try to make this work. My computer has two fire wire ports in front, two in back, and I can't use ANY of them with my new camera? Bah. Looked for TI pci based card last nite at Best Buy, no luck. Will have to shop around.
Will let you know once I have tried it.

bugeyed49er
Unregistered guest
Have seen many threads that state you CANNOT transfer video via usb, only firewire....and Guesss what? Event THAT doesn't work!! (At lest not with JVC!!) Good luck to you tho.

Unregistered guest
Is it possible to transfer recordings from digital camcorder (mini dv) to a computer through network card?

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Azam,

I don't know of any way to hook up a camcorder using an ethernet network card. I have never seen an ethernet port on any camcorder.

By the way, in theory, a 100 Mbit/s ethernet connection would be fast enough, the problem is it just doesn't exist. The camera would need to be IP-capable, the capture programmes would need to recognise remote IP-connected devices, you'd need to ensure there was no other network traffic interfering, etc. Nice idea, though.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
Ok, so we bought a firewire that had a 4 pin for the camera and a 6 pin for our comp and now everything works fine. Vids upload into our Windows media programs that are already on XP, so no problems thus far. *knocking on wood*

Thanks to everyone for your great advice on this forum. It was invaluable!

Anonymous

I need to purchase a PCMCIA firewire card and cable to connect my laptop to my JVC GR-D270 camera. How important is the TI chipset? Has anyone had luck with the standard card? Also, JVC wants $30 for their cable. Is theirs any better than the cheap cables?

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
Anonymous,

My JVC GR-DVL 9600 is recognised immediately by my PC, the firewire card in which seems not to be TI since device manager shows the controller as "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" rather than "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant".

A senior contributor on this page:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=106739&page=3
believes that even non-TI cards can have the TI driver loaded to solve JVC problems, although one user tried this without luck (see "rdwalt").

Bottom line appears to be that a TI based chipset firewire card is less risky if you are a JVC owner.

I have used very cheap firewire cables and they worked OK although the connector was a bit tight in my case.

Hope that helps.

Maureen
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Gromit

I guess I'll try the TI based chipset firewire card to be safe. This may be a stupid question, but I live in the country and have no large computer stores nearby--does anyone know if CompUSA or Circuit City or the like sell firewire cards with TI chipsets? I find none that even say what they have in them on their websites.

Username: Bugeyed49er

Maureen,
List as follows (or so i've been told):
ADS Tech-PYRO PCI 64 (Circuit City)
Belkin F5U503 (Wal Mart, Comp USA)
Pinnacle DVClip
Pinnacle DV/AV
Syba VIA (pcimicro.com)
The following card is listed last, could either be TI or Agere chipset, need to open the box and look:
Adaptec FireConnect 4300 (Again, some have TI chipset, some have Agere, so look!!)

Maureen
Unregistered guest
Thanks very much, md noway!

Very helpful. I'll try Wal-Mart first, that's only 1 hour away. I wonder why they don't give this info on the outside of package?

Maureen
Unregistered guest
md noway

As I was copying the products you listed, I realized that I had not said that I'm looking for a PCMCIA card for my laptop. Can I assume that Pinnacle, Belkin and ADS use TI chipsets in these also?

Jonesey
Unregistered guest
I can capture video to my Notebook from my JVC DVL210EA camera using DV cable, and after editing using Windows Movie Maker I can save the movie back on to the camera. No problems. However, I am unable to record the edited movie from the camera to DVD recorder (also using DV cable). The recorder says the camera is not connected (which it is). Help? Thanks!

Username: Bugeyed49er

Maureen,
I would assume so (but you know THAT word!)
As an example, check the last card on the list. Could either be TI or Agere. Best bet is to check with the manufacturer of that specific card. I don't have a laptop myself, so good luck to you. Hope my advice helps.

beanbag
Unregistered guest
Gromit--

I'm sorry I wasn't very thorough in my post. I am trying to connect my camera to my pc...the first problem I encounter is that it doesn't recongnize it, I ckd the drivers and they say windows 98 (I have XP). So I guess I need this firewire...but for the layman...can you explain which connection I put this in. I assume it's not the USB since that one I already have and it does not work. So for an idiot like myself...where exactly do I plug this thing in? And what exactly do I look for in the store?

c

Silver Member

Post Number: 317
beanbag,

Yes, if there is no firewire connection on your PC, your first step is to get a PCI or PCMCIA card as appropriate, preferably one bundled with software and a cable.

What type of camera do you have? If it is a JVC there is a list of recommended cards above.

Make sure your camera meets the required specification for the firewire card and seek assistance with the installation if you are not experienced in this area.

After you get the firewire card up and running, we can correspond further if you have more questions.

Cheers

Maureen
Unregistered guest
FYI, I contacted a few manufacturers of PCMCIA firewire cards for laptops to find out which have Texas Instruments chipsets. The two that answered gave the following products that have these chipsets:
Belkin F5U513
ADS Tech-Pyro 1394DV for Notebooks

Hope this helps others with the same questions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Thanks, Maureen!

Unregistered guest
HELP!!!
I have tried to connect my mini dv camera {JVC GR-D32}to my PC using firewire and nothing is working. I've tried 2 different firewire cables and the same thing happens with both. when I go into any software {and I tried 3} to capture video the PC will control my camera {fast forward, rewind, play} but the video does not come across and nothing gets captured. I called both JVC and DELL and nobody seems to know anything. Somebody anybody PLEASE HELP ME

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
Joanne,

This is perhaps a problem with your OS. Are you running Windows XP SP2? If so, please refer to this ambiguously described Microsoft patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

PLEASE let me know how this goes. I also have other ideas if this doesn't work,

Cheers

Username: Perlenoir41

Tacoma, WA USA

Hi, i have a JVC mini Dv JR-D270,i want to transfer video to my computer and i can't do it because i dont have the programm in the PC that accept that.i have a cd for the transfer of the pictures, but it dose not work for videos. i have just a USB connector and i wonder if you can help me with some information on how to do it? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Kamilia,

I will recommend using firwire rather than USB. Does your PC have a firewire port? It looks like a USB port but one end is pointed rather than square. it might be labelled IEEE 1394, DV, firewire, i-Link or even not labelled at all.

Also, do you have a DVD burner? (and is your objective to make DVDs?)

Let me know.

Anonymous

Hi Gromit,

Similar problem as Kamilia, but for the JVC GR-D275. I cannot use firewire (it's a work computer), and so must try to use the USB connector. I'm running Windows XP - and can't find a USB driver (if that's even what I need!) - my comp won't recognize the camcorder when connected by USB to my PC. I'm stuck - please help! Thanks...

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Anonymous,

I am not an expert (actually, never tried) connecting a camcorder using USB. However, I do believe a driver is required. Perhaps JVC customer support can help you?

Sorry not to give you a better answer. If you need further help, post again and I will not answer so that maybe another contributor will pick up the question.

Cheers.

misguidedangel
Unregistered guest
I have no Idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I recently bought a GR Df430 JVC Digital Video Camera... and Have a firewire cable and connector. Ive tried restarting, ive tried the microsoft patch for SP2. Im stumped as what to try next. :-( Can I just unistall the SP2? or is that gonna cause more problems?

So how do i get my stupid computer to recognise my camera :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
misguidedangel,

Have you tried all the tips and tricks in my June 6th post?

One edit I will make in the light of other feedback is that you should never connect the firewire cable to the camcorder while the camcorder is switched on.

The last poster with the same problem as you fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing his firewire card.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.
PS: Microsoft patches, once installed are there for life unless you Ghost back, or followed specific instructions to create a fall-back configuration

Anonymous

I have a JVC dv camcorder GR-270
i cannot get my computer to recognize it (XP)
i am usin a USB connection
my question is? to get videos transfered to my computer do i need a firewire, A cable thrue my DV port on my cam, or a memory card
AND WILL THIS DEVICE ALSO HELP MY COMPUTER DETECT MY CAM

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Anonymous,

A firwewire cable between the DV ports on your camcorder and PC (buy a card if necessary) is recommended. Normally works OK.

Don't plug the firewire cable in to your JVC when it is switched on.

Cheers

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

Post Number: 8
Cheers all i got a firewire fiter in my comp down load the disc for it and it pick up my jvc GR.D72U camcorda i now can download my camcorda to dvd no the all for the help im so greatfull

ChuckMD
Unregistered guest
Just bought a JVC GR-D270. Works great... Read all of this and ran to Walmart and bought the firewire card they had (Statitec) and the cheapest cable (adaptec). Running XP on an HP Pavilion that is 3 years old. Saw the card no problem (said TI chipset or emulated it in the device manager). Plugged in the camera and then turned it on. Saw it right away and started Windows Movie maker. Works great

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
Chuck, that is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

Tammi, thanks to you also for the feedback.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
hello there,
I have a mini dv camera a its a panasonic nv-gs120. I shot a music video over the weekend and now i am trying to get the footage onto my computer. The problem is when i connect the camera to my computer using my firewire connection and connect it all through avid, it allows me to play the tapes but avid only plays back the sound which is on the tape but it doesnt show any actual footage, i tried clicking record to see if it would capture audio and video anyway but it didnt, it captured a pitch black screen with only sound. I tried capturing the footage through another program windows movie make and it comes out fine, but im still determined to find out why it wont work on avid.
Please any help i will be greatful for.
my email address is stotheizzy@yahoo.co.uk if anyone can help me
thanks
Fraiser

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Fraiser,

Would I be right in thinking that the exact programe you are using is "Avid CaptureManager"? I took a look at Avid's website and the specification for CaptureManager and I do not see any reference to capturing from mini DV camcorders. Are you sure this is part of the programme specification?

I'm also guessing that your work environment requires you to use Avid as it seems to be targeted towards commercial rather than consumer use. If that is so, why don't you give the software vendor a call?

If Windows Moviemaker and/or other capture programmes are working fine, then you can assume that your firewire card, cable, computer OS and camcorder are all working OK.

Not sure if that helps or not!

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
no im using avid xpress to capture, it captures the images to the bin but when i click on them to play them back its as if the pictures are of a high resolution or something, like they dont play.

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
fraiser,

OK, I checked the Avid site again and it looks like your (expensive!) software should be able to capture.

As you can capture fine with Windows Moviemaker, and I have never used this programme, I can only give you three ideas here:

1) Check the user guide carefully and make sure you have the capture setting correct. It will likely need you to set it to "DV-NTSC" or "DV-PAL" depending on your country of residence.

2) Re-install the Avid software.

3) Call their technical support line.

Cheers.

fraiser
Unregistered guest
is there any chance it could be a problem with the graphics card, because im using a matrox g550 dual, maybe its overheating?

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
fraiser,

I'm afraid that subtle hardware interactions like that are beyond my knowledge. Sorry.

I still think a call to Avid is in order.

Cheers.

Anonymous

Interesting...Just some FYI...I am using a JVC GR-D270U, and it was giving me headaches with USB hardware recognition. After trying all recommendations on this forum I finally had an epiphany. I turned my camcorder off, switched it to MEMORY, and turned it back on. Using Windows XP SP2, and with a memory card in the cam, Windows immediatley detected, installed, and readied my cam for use. (Without need of the Install CD.) Thanks for all your help, and I hope this helps someone.

Anonymous

Also, refering to the above post, I just plugged in my cam to the 4 pin firewire on my laptop, and it also recognized and installed whereas before it just sat there. Lessons learned, a. switch to memory, (assuming a memory card is inserted), b. turn cam to play, c. plug in to usb, d. let install, e. disconnect usb, and plug in firewire, f. let install. Now it asks if i want to capture video. Exactly what i wanted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Anonymous,

Brilliant! This is going straight into my cookbook to help other users. Thank you!

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D250 camcorder. I recently purchased an IEEE 1394 card and firewire cable, and the computer recognizes the card and says it is running properly. When I connect the camcorder to the computer howerver and search for plug and play devices it is not recognized. The camera didn't come with a driver disk and my computer (Win 98) doesn't have any video drivers listed. The camera also doesnt have a memory card slot. When I attempt to capture video with Ulead Video Studio i get the message "Failed to initialize the capture driver. Capture device was not detected."

Please help, Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
scottfroth,

Are you running Win98SE? Until recently I was running Win98SE and it had no problem recognising my DV camcorders -without, I might add, the requirement for any additional drivers.

First step is to make sure that when you connect your camcorder, it shows up in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices". The list should be dynamically updated according to the status of the connection.

If Windows does see the camcorder, re-install Ulead. If Windows doesn't see the camcorder, we have to look a bit deeper into your system, e.g. re-install your firewire card.

Let me know and we'll take it from there.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
My os is 98-SE, but the camera doesnt show up in device manager. It actually doesnt even say "imaging devices" anywhere in device manager. I uninstalled and removed my firewire card, retried it, in several different slots, and had the same problem each time. Does it matter whether i am using a JVC firewire cable or should any cable work?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
scottfroth,

The category "Imaging devices" probably won't exist in your device manager until the first time the camcorder is connected. At that point (if everything is going well) you might be required to insert your Windows CD-ROM, the camera will be recognised and device Manager will be updated. The category will always be there and the camcorder shows when connected.

Any cable should work, but according to JVC, it is very important to only connect the cable to the camcorder when the camcorder (and, preferably the PC) are switched off, to avoid damage.

I can give you lots of debugging tips, but to avoid placing large amounts of text all over the place, please read from July 20th on this page:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/134082.html

Let me know if any of that helps.

Cheers.

Username: Jserle

Crownsville, Maryland

I have a JVC-D73 MiniDV camcorder that transfers video to my PC (AthlonXP2900) via USB and ImageMixer 1.7. However, I cannot capture video using firewire. I consistently get an error message that the recording time was too short. I have tried 2 other video capturing software packages, which are also unable to capture video via Firewire. When the camcorder is connected via USB, the camcorder is recognized by the supplied JVC USB drivers as a JVC device under imaging devices. When the camcorder is connected via firewire, the system is recognized as a Microsoft DV camera and VCR. The Video capturing softwares can consistently operate the play/stop/fastforward/rewind buttons, but capturing video does not work. I believe that the camcorder does not have the ability to output DV signal (unlike the USB analog signal), or a yet to be produced driver is needed. Anybody know of a workable DV driver? Anybody know any other solutions? I have run through Gromit's cook book check list. JVC support has been of no help to me so far, although somebody for Firewire support is supposed to call me back.

Crownsville, Maryland

Additional comment to my previous post. I am running Windows 2000, SP4. I have a Zonet firewire card (I don't know the chipset) that is installed under a VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller in Device manager. See previous post for other system information.

S.yorkshire, ? Rotherham

Post Number: 9
ty all for the help i got a firwire cable and in stalled the disc for my firwire in to my comp My comp now pickes up my camcorda using windows movie maker.When i connect my firewire cable to my comp and camcorda at bottom right i get i pitcher of a camcorda i click on that and it opens window movie maker.I dont have to rewind the tape it does it for me then it play it in to my share videos.were i safe it.I then open nero and click on make my own dvd video and click on add video files and then i burn them to dvd.
ty all for the help hope this will help someone else in the further or you can alway email me for help direct on GilbaTm@aol.com i be happy to help y thanks .

Tyler from RI
Unregistered guest
I just got a 4-6 pin firewire cable today. In the front of my PC, there is a slot to hook up a firewire cable. If I can hook up a firewire cable, does that mean that I don't need to worry about getting a firewire card?

I didn't plug in the camera yet, because I wanted to come here first making sure that if I have a firewire port in the front of my PC, that means I already have a firewire card. In device manager, it says it has a driver and the 1394 device is working properly. No problems here, I am just making sure that all you need for firewire connecting is a port to connect a cable on your pc.

Unregistered guest
have the NEW JVC GR D-290 camcorder bundled with Cyberlink Power Director 3 and allegedly all the drivers I need . No need for Firewire , apparently usb connection is all I need. So far I have been able to access the still images on the memory card but my computer will not see the camera for moving images.
A quirk, by the way, is that it will not even see the memory card unless you are using mains not battery.
It must be a driver problem but I received no instructions and as per most users above I was told that it would be all automatically installed!! I only bought this camcorder because of the usb connectivity!
Has anyone sucessfully used the new JVC Grd290 or 270 to transfer streaming video via uSB. I might be doing something completely stupid

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Tyler,

If your Device Manager is showing a 1394 controller, and your PC has a firewire port, it would be a bit of a cruel trick for it not to be connected!

Give it a try, making sure to turn off your camcorder before plugging in the cable.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
When attempting to capture using firewire, I receive a completely black preview screen. I am able to control my camera (fast forward, rewind, play, stop, etc.), but when I try to capture video (using Adobe Premiere and Windows Movie Maker), it will not capture anything. I have completely uninstalled my firewire card (3 different brands on two different computers), but upon reinstall it still does not work. I've tried this on two XP computers with SP2 hotfixes. In addition, I have tried the "turn on computer, plug in camcorder, turn on camcorder, reboot computer" method, and I still have no results.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
fkeeney,

News just in from another user is that he solved his "can control camera but only gets a black preview screen" problem by un-installing all his capture programmes (Sony Picture Package and Ulead Videostudio in his case) then just re-installing Ulead VideoStudio.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/140913.html

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

gmg
Unregistered guest
steve clarke,

I have a GR-D270U and did transfer video via IEEE 1394 controler yesterday. I just connect the camcorder to the pc via firewire and power producer found it.
The USB is used for acces the memory card only.

hope this help you.

Maureen
Unregistered guest
Steve Clarke,

I also have a GR-D270 and, once I got the firewire card and cable with TI chipset, had no problem transferring video to my laptop. Even though the card came with free Ulead software, my computer didn't like it so I used the Movie Maker software that came installed in my laptop. No problems. Thanks to Gromit and the others for all the helpful instructions!

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony PC120 (mini dv) and want to download video onto the PC using IEEE1394 cable. I'm using XP but have not downloaded SP2. The movie maker cannot detect the mini dv.

Any ideas? Do I need a driver?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Unregistered guest
I own a jvc gr-d230 DV Camera that I want to use as a webcam as well.
I can find it on msn messenger with the audio tuning wizard, but it wont actually function as a cam in messenger. I run xp and the latest version of messenger
I have contacted the helpdesk from messenger, but all the things they suggested didnt make any difference, even contacted JVC...same thing here.

I also have a desktop system running Windows ME and also the latest version of messenger, however this time the camera works perfectly.

Is anyone else having issues getting the camera to work like this that can help me?

Unregistered guest
We just recently bought JVC GR-D290 I finally got my computer to read camera but when i try to burn dvd it says its not supported. WE have a Mad Dog 6 in 1 16x DVD- +R- +RW and our disks are DVD+R. We have also tryed DVD-R and it still says not supported. Maybe im not doing this correct. If any one can help Please im In need.

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 8
Adreyagrace,
My guess is that you recieved a limited edition of DVD writing software with your DVD drive that does not support creating movie DVDs unless you upgrade to the full version. See if you can create a movie CD with your software. Most OEM software versions that come with hardware can do this at least.

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 9
I was finally able to capture DV from my JVC GR-D73 with a new Firewire card from Keyspan that has a TI chip. My previous firewire card with a VIA chip just gave me the black screen. The capture software was Image Mixer 1.7. My OS is W2K running on an Athlon XP 2900+.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us