Archive through July 19, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 269
Keisha,

Are you trying to transfer still pictures or moving pictures?

Cheers.

Username: Needhlpwcam

Post Number: 1
Oidar,

I did try to have movie maker recognize my camcorder but it wouldn't even do that. I don't know what to do.

Post Number: 2
i was anonymuous

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Matt,

Take a look at my June 16th post above. You may find something there to help you.

Cheers.

Sunnyside
Unregistered guest
I just bumped into this page and I noticed that many videophiles are having the problem of non recognition of the camcorders by the video softwares. This happens more with the use of firewire ports. I have suffered the same fate twice. The first was with a Sony DCR Camcorder. I thought the problem was with Sony so I got a Canon Camcorder the same thing happened barely a month after the purchase. Since the warranty was still valid I shipped it back to Canon for repair. I was shocked at their reply. Their warranty did not cover malfunction connected to firewire ports. They however gave me an interesting hint. "The firewire port is a very delicate component. Do not connect it after you have already booted the compter." Can someone confirm if this is true. If this advice is true it might help many who might be having the same problem.
Sunnyside.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Sunnyside,

That is an amazingly interesting and useful observation. Thank you! If confirmed, I would call this a major limitation of firewire versus USB.

In my own case, I have been using firewire for four years, and I have NEVER turned off the computer before connecting the cable to the camera, although I do always switch on the camera after the cable is connected. I have been doing this to ensure a correct handshake rather than to avoid damage!

The manual for my 5 year old JVC camcorder states clearly to turn off both computer and camcorder before connecting the cable. I never read it, I guess. However, there is no such instruction in my Canon manual.

In your own case, did you connect the camera to the computer while BOTH were switched on? Also, I wonder which brand of firewire card you are using, and whether that could have an effect. Mine was a very cheap "no brand" one by the way.

Thanks again for sharing that with everybody.

Cheers.

Post Number: 3
In my Canon manual it states to have the power connected to the camera and on in play mode and card mode, not tape mode. After all this it says to connect to the computer. How would I connect the video to my computer if this is the case and is my manual right?

Username: Helpneedit

its still pictures

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Matt,

I am sure that the "card mode versus tape mode" refers to how still pictures are stored, and is nothing to do with video. Even the biggest memory card would be filled after a few seconds if we are talking about normal DV. If you connect your camcorder to your PC using firewire, following the instructions (even, I suspect, if IGNORING the instructions), then I'm sure you will get the required video transferred, so long as your PC is recognising your camcorder.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Keisha,

I tried and failed at Samsung's website, but for 5 Euros, you can download a driver from here:

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/panel.asp?marca=Samsung&perif=camaras

If you have the correct driver, then the memory card should appear as a "Removable Drive" I think.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

pantiger
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic mini DV cam corder GS-120. I am unable to view video from my Camcorder, while i can view still images, and capture them too. I am connecting through the USB cable port as recommended in the manual, and the motiondv software. Can you please help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
pantiger,

Firewire is normally the recommended way of transferring video. Have you considered this option?

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to make a documentary about an organization. I have a video camera and a computer. What do yuo think I will need in order to succesfully produce an edited documentary and what are the steps that I should follow in producing it.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Assuming your camera has a "DV" a.k.a. "firewire" a.k.a. "IEEE1394" a.k.a. "i-Link" port, then to start this project, you will probably just need to buy one or two things (all specific products are just suggestions - each person has their own preferences):

1) A firewire card to connect your camcorder to your PC. Don't try to use USB unless there is absolutely no alternative. Firewire cards are very cheap (approx $20) and normally come bundled with a cable and video editing software. The editing software is also used for transferring the video to your PC.

2) A DVD burner. The more expensive models will normally come equipped with quite decent software for making DVDs. By "making DVDs" I mean the way you set up menus, file structures etc. This process is also know as "authoring".

3) Some software. For software, I am quite a fan of Ulead these days. It's easy to use and actually comes bundled with some DVD burners, such as Pioneer. You need Ulead VideoStudio for capture/editing and Ulead MovieFactory for producing DVDs. VideoStudio is also provided f.o.c. with many types of firewire card. Another solution for software is to use Windows Moviemaker (free with XP) instead of Videostudio and buy a copy of Moviefactory on-line. I bought MovieFactory and got a free copy of VideoStudio on the cover of a PC mag.

Just FYI, the basic steps of making home DVDs are:

1) connect the camera using firewire (you only need to buy a card if your PC is not already equipped with firewire ports) and capture the raw footage
2) edit the raw footage into useable video clips
3) drag and drop the clips into a DVD authoring package and burn the DVD

You can check out this guide for assistance on using Ulead VideoStudio to transfer video from your camcorder to your PC: http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/videostudiodvcaptureone.htm

A lot of the information in the above guide is superfluous though - if you just read the first and last pages you probably have enough to get you started.

I don't have a "how to" reference for MovieFactory but it is quite intuitive to use

Post again if you need further help.

Pantiger
Unregistered guest
i refer to my posting of 23rd Jun regarding transfer of video from Panasonic GS-120 to my PC. Thank you for the information.
Is video transfer ( not still pictures ) not possible at all using USB ports? Please clarify.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
Pantiger,

Yes, it is often possible to transfer video (with audio) using USB. But most people find that (assuming it works at all) there are limitations on quality.

Cheers.

hornyHamster
Unregistered guest
I have a dv cassette recorded in PAL. It plays fine in my Sony camcorder with "PAL" displayed on the screen. However, I get blocky image when capturing to the computer. I have tried several programs (MovieMaker, Pixela, and WinDV) in two computers, all of them outputs the same blocky images. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
hornyHamster,

What OS are you running? Win98SE by any chance?

Username: Matthewuk12000

gromit u seem like a man with such knowledge on DV camcorders, so here is one for u, i posted this in a seperate thread then found this one so ill be adding it ot the list

im in quite abit of bother here, last summer i went to cananda recorded many DV tapes with my camcorder, i came home to process them and i did, but before i had chance to edit/burn, i got a virus had to wipe my pc clean, its now almost a year later i am trying once again to make this DVD for my friends, the problem appaers to be this, i play back the video on the camcorder and it is Perfect, its just how i recorded it, i plug the camcorder into my pc using firewire, my camcroder is (panasonic NV-GS40) and i use windows movie maker, however it doesnt pick up all the frames, infact i play back the video i just recorded, (say 30 seconds on my camcorder) but it is all compressed with lots of big colour blocks jumping all over the screen, it plays back in about 5 seconds, its not recording as it is appearing on my camcroder screen. why could this be? i thought maybe its not working with WMM so i downloaded DIVO which picks up the frames as it see's it. once again i get the same problem. ive tried many things, forwarding my tape to the end and then rewinding it back, makes no difference, i have enough memory (512mb) plenty of hard drive space, i have a decent PC . does anyone know of a solution to this or have they heard of this problem before?

if there is a post already on this site about this problem can u direct me there please.

i hope someone can help soon

matt!

Post Number: 3
gromit just giving u some more info, i ran windows movie maker again, this is what it did, for every 10 seconds of camcorder footage recroded it displayed it as 1 second on windows movie maker, why the hell would it do that? it also played back the footage super quick, im pretty sure LP and SP recording will have no difference whatsoever as it is capturing what it see's any more advice would be appriciated, MY OS is XPpro i believe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Matthew,

Gross distortion of playback on a PC, with "block" artifacts is commonly caused by an incorrect PAL/NTSC setting. Try checking that first and then we'll go from there.

By the way, older OS, such as Win98, needed a patch to operate correctly with PAL.

Cheers.

Post Number: 4
hi gromit,

well i tried it again with WMM the settings which came up were PAL if i did a direct DV/AVI file type. now i dont remember which is for europe, i think it is NTSC correct me if im wrong though. however there is no settig on WMM for NTSC i went to large file type 640x480 and it then doesnt say it is NTSC or PAL.... so just for fun i did another section, 30 seconds of cam corder footage was compressed into about 5 seconds on my pc, the large BLock artifacts wernt as predominant which makes me think that is something more to do with the tape then the actual footage itself, it seems the more i try and use it the less blockage i get... hope all that makes sense and thanks for the help.

p.s dont see any NTSC/PAL settings on the camcorder. should there be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Matthew,

Video capture programmes are normally automatic with respect to capturing PAL or NTSC. However, when you install the programme, it will normally ask you to specify your country of residence so that a default can be set. If your computer is completely failing with one standard or the other, it is probably an OS problem.

Most of Europe is PAL, apart from places like France that are SECAM. North America is all NTSC. Where did you purchase the camera?

Camcorders do not support dual standard so there will not be a PAL/NTSC setting to find.

By the way, if you are importing video using firewire, you shouldn't need to specify file type. It should always come in as .avi, with 720 lines of resolution. Maybe you should check that.

Just guessing here, but if something REALLY screwy was going on, your camera/PC might be getting confused about mpg/avi. In mpg, there are key frames every once in a while (e.g. every 7 frames) and the intervening ones are derived from the key frame. Conversely, with native DV, stored on your PC as avi, each frame exists in its own right. So you can see that if something totally wierd was going wrong, your PC might only be playing back key frames, which would reduce the length of the video about the amount you mention. Plus, no doubt, there would be a lot of screen distortion.

These thoughts might give you some ideas, but I think you really need to get your camcorder on a friend's PC and vice versa.

Please let me know what happens!!!

Cheers.

hornyHamster
Unregistered guest
Gromit,

I'm running XP Pro SP2 installed.

hornyHamster
Unregistered guest
I read matthew's post above and I think I have similar problems. I ran WMM and used the DV-AVI option, the setting that came up was NTSC, and the DV cassette that I have was recorded in PAL. But I cant seem to change the NTSC setting in WMM.

Post Number: 5
hi gromit thanks for the advice it appears it is exactly what you are syaing, ill take my camcorder into work and abuse the free attitude towards pc's :-) ill see if it works and let u know.

oh so u know i bought the camera in dixons in england, maybe when my friend reinstalled XP for me he didnt set it correctly, however i find that hard to believe as he builds pc's for a living hmmmm ill research these possible options and get back to u soon!

cheers

matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
hornyHamster,

If you can't change the NTSC setting to PAL in Windows Moviemaker, try downloading Roxio VideoWave or Ulead VideoStudio to see if you have better luck with that.

Please let me know the outcome.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
i have a panasonic pv-gs55 camcoder, and i want to copy my videos to my desknote but i dont have the firewire only USB. Is there any alternative aside from firewire so i can transfer them to my pc. HOW?

thanks

reyg from philippines

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
reyg,

I see at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS55/4507-6500_7-30671355.html

that your camcorder does have firewire. Why not get a PCI or PCMCIA card for firewire in your PC? USB is generally not a good solution.

Cheers.

Username: Coolchristina

Yucaipa

Hey i have a Canon ZR 40 both S Cables but no software CD and I am wondering how do i put 47 minutes of film onto CD-R can you pls help me. My camcorder has no USB port it just has a DV/In port and AV port.

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
Christina,

I have already answered your question on the other page you posted.

By the way, you might need to get a firewire card for your PC....

Unregistered guest
Gromit, Back on a June 5, 2005 post a guy was looking for a DV player to import video to the computer or play content on a monitor/TV. Sony makes a really slick player with a 4"flip up screen called a DV Walkman - GVD-1000 or a GVD-1000E. Its a bit pricy at $999 frp, B&H but pretty cool. Here is the link I found on at to check out its specs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=5245
At that price point. Might as well buy another DV camera rather than just the player. At least that was my conclusion. Hope this helps. Keep up the great advice! Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
MiCoo, you are not joking, that is an incredibly cool little box, although who wouldn't want to pay a bit less and get a camera built in as well.....

I think my rational for buying one would be for recording TV programmes for playback while travelling (although movies are tricky because of the tape recording limit). The other issue mentioned on June 5th of "wear and tear" on the camcorder during transfer doesn't worry me so much.

Keep posting cool gizmos!

Cheers.

rwilliams
Unregistered guest
Hey, i just bough a canon zr-300 and i was wondering how to just get it onto my pc, preferablly as a wmv so i can work on editing.. I dont know what program to use as the ones that came with is are crappy. I wanted to use windows movie maker? would that do? i just reformatted..and waitin for one the automatic window updates to get me my newer version of movie maker, cuz the old one is just horrible. I just bought all that firewire stuff to.. have it connected and the pc reads it. I tried using santa dvd to convert directly.. i mite have doen something wrong, but i tried a few times and could get the movie to show up on my pc properly. THank you for your time :-) and i hope you can help lol ;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
rwilliams,

If you can transfer video from your DV camcorder to your PC, it should show up as an .avi file. 1 hour of DV transferred with full quality occupies 12G of disk space.

I'd recommend using something like Ulead Videostudio or Roxio VideoWave to to editing (and transfer) rather than Windows Moviemaker.

Let know if that helps.

rwilliams
Unregistered guest
hey i just tried using ulead videostudio, and when i let it scan.. i press next and i get an error report from windows. i reformatted recently, do i need somehting like microsoft service pack 2 for this to work?

Bronze Member
Username: Karam

Post Number: 73
hi guys i use Adobe Premiere to transfer my movies from 8mm to dvd. what i currently do is capture the film using adobe then. i use that captured film and make a .avi file then i use other programs to compress and then convert to mpeg and burn onto dvd. has any body looked into blu-laser technology?? with that you are supposed to get like 50gb onto 1 DVD!! now das gona be cool. how do you guys copy those old movies to dvd?

rwilliams
Unregistered guest
hey i got my movie put on pc and dvdr successfully. thanks a bunch. and karamjit.. i dont know the answer but sat sri akal!

Bronze Member
Username: Karam

Post Number: 78
lol, same to you

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic S400 comcorder, IBM laptop T30, 80GB external hardrive, sony external DVD burnel and USB card(PCMCIA)s slots. I have enough hardware in order to make a simple DVD movie and burn it. Why Nero Express (provided by Sony) still can't reconizes DV device from my camcorder? Please help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Bee,

Please refer to my June 16th post on this page.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Gromit. Looks like I need to use wirefire instead of USB. I'll try it out later and get back to you.

Username: Moon

Post Number: 1
I have installed a pci firewire1394 card on my amd64 desktop. It works just fine for transferring my DV. But now my internet and email do not work. I have an external 56kbps modem which still connects but I cannot browse. It says dns is wrong. I checked the netwrok connections and there I noticed that the firewire card is listed as a network card. So I diabled it but that did not help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
somdutt,

If I was being mean I might ask "so how did you post this message", but I guess you accessed another computer......

That is a really, really wierd problem you have. What OS are you using?

I am not a real expert on dial-up but I think the key to success here will be to un-install the dial-up networking connection, then re-install it using your original instructions from your service provider. Completely remove the firewire card first. If your dial-up connection is DHCP (which most are) then normally these things just sort themselves out - provided the basic setting are correct.

Once you have got your internet access working again, try to re-install your firewire card. It doesn't by any chance have an ethernet port as well, does it? If so, and if you are offered the option of using it, click "no", of course.

You might also find that re-installing dial-up networking AFTER re-installing the firewire card might help (so that the dial-up networking becomes the prime connection). But bear in mind that normally, an available, fixed connection will over-rule dial-up.

Please let me know how you fix this. It's a very intriguing problem!

Cheers.

muffin man
Unregistered guest
gromit, i told u to email me, email me, AND blog the answer to help others

muffin man
Unregistered guest
actually just in case no one got my first message, here we go, gromit,
I have a windows XP DESKTOP (not laptop) i understand i need a firewire to upload media from my jvc, is there anything like a firewire card for a desktop, other than a Firewire Host Controller that u have literally install it to ur pc, i know there is a SCSCSCSCSCSCwhetever-->firewire converter but its $140!!! is there anything cheap and simple for my desktop???

p.s. sorry for double posting

muffin man
Unregistered guest
gromit, uve helped everyone and guided them through problems with great details. how do u know so much?

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
muffin man,

I'm not quite sure what you are after here, but it sounds like you want a little box to place next to your PC, which will connect to your camcorder using firewire, and connect to your PC using something else - not quite sure what the something is. USB2 perhaps? Anyway, I'm afraid I don't know of any such devices. With firewire cards available (with cable/software) for $20, you can imagine the market would be very small for an expensive external device.....

If you are unable to install a firewire card because (for example) it's a work PC and you don't have access, you could consider getting a DVD recorder with IEEE 1394 built in. Then you can read the DVDs into your computer (and also have lots of fun telling your mates how lousy their VHS recorders are).

It's very nice of you to say that I know so much, but really, I am just an amateur myself. The little I know is pretty much through owning a DV camcorder for 5 years and going through various trials and tribulations in making home DVDs. All the rest is simply Googled!

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
I tried the software comes with Panasonic Camcorder, I think it is called "motion DV", and it works just fine. I managed to transfer my video from camcorder to my laptop. I checked device manager but couldn't find IEEE1394. Is this because I'm using USB2.0(PCMCIA)? My camcorder is compatable with USB 2.0. Shall I stil consider using firewire? I tried your favarite software,Roxio, and it didn't detect any DV device. Do you know why? I tried Nero Express(come with SONY DVD recorder), the same problem happen. Why? I look forward to your reply. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
Bee,

Most laptops are not pre-fitted with firewire, meaning that you probably need to buy a PCMCIA card if you want to use firewire. They're not expensive. (If you don't have a firewire port, that would certainly explain why Device Manager isn't showing one!)

Although USB may be working OK, you wil likely find it easier to transfer video with full DV quality if you use firewire.

Most DV transfer programmes won't be looking for USB-connected devices (I believe) which would explain the things you are seeing.

Does that answer your question?

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Thanks for your promt reply. I'll buy one PCMCIA card for firewire ports.
Thanks again.
Have a great day!

Andros
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone
i just bought a Pansonic NVGS11B. the problem is that i can not transfer video from the camcorder to my pc.Can you please help me with that?
thanks

muffin man
Unregistered guest
gromit,
thanks for the help, i guess i could have a computer guy install the Firewire Host Controller. or continually look for what i want thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Andros,

Are you using firewire? And if so, is your PC recognising the presence of a camera in Device Manager?

Cheers

Leah
Unregistered guest
I have a ZR-80 and I'm having a lot of trouble hooking it up to my computer I bought a IEEE 1394 cable and hooked it up but nothing happens, when I try to capture a video from my camcorder using Windows Movie Maker it says no device detected, how can I get my computer to detect it? Am I missing something?

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
Leah,

This is my complete "connection problems" debugging cookbook, mostly my own work but thanks to Chico and Berny who also contributed:

1) Disconnect USB and just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills. Having the USB connection present might possibly cause a problem
2) If by any chance you have TWO types of firewire interface in your PC (one built-in, one PCI/PCMCIA card), physically remove the external card, and try connecting to the in-built port. If still no good, check in Device Manager that the internal device is OK. If you were using a PCI/PCMCIA card because of problems with an in-built card, make sure the in-built device is really disabled.
3) If you are using a laptop with built-in firewire, try to get your hands on a PCMCIA firewire card and use that instead as an experiment. This fixed the problem for one user with a Sony laptop. Make sure you disable the in-built device when doing this.
4) Play around a bit to make sure there is no "sequence" issue affecting you. By this I mean experimenting with turning the camera on before, or during the capture programme running. Please make sure to only physically plug the firewire cable in to the camcorder when (at least) the camcorder is turned off. JVC have stated that plugging in the firewire cable when the camcorder is switched on can damage the camcorder's DV port.
5) Look in Device Manager to check if both your 1394 controller and camcorder are present and correct. The 1394 controller should show up the whole time. The camcorder should show up when you connect it and turn it on, then disappear when you turn it off.
6) If you have any doubts about your firewire card, debug as follows: Turn off your camcorder and unplug it from the computer. Remove/uninstall the firewire on your device manager. Restart the computer, wait until windows re-installs the firewire. Re-start again, then wait until the pc is booted up completely. With your camcorder still switched off, plug it in using firewire, then power it on.
7) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
8) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
9) Re-instal your capture software.
10) Re-download and re-install your capture software
11) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave (my favourite)
12) Think whether have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards
13) Think about whether you have installed any hardware that might be causing a conflict. Not a very common problem these days but still a possibility. Check via Device Manager.
14) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa to work out, through a process of elimination, where the problem lies. Remember that capture will only work if the camera, cable, firewire card and PC are all OK.
15) If you are running XP SP2, please refer to this Microsoft patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en And if you are completely stuck, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. This fix was written prior to the release of the Microsoft patch so it might now be obscelent. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html
16) If you are using a JVC camcorder, try to use a firewire card with a TI chipset. There is some doubt about JVC camcorders working with non-TI firewire cards (even though mine does no problem)

Hope that somewhere in this list I hit the nail on the head. Please let me know what eventually fixes it so I can keep enhancing this knowledge base for the benefit of other users.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
I bought a hub that come with 4 USB ports and 3 firewire ports. Then, I realised my camcorder (Panasonic GS-150) didn't have the port for firewire cable. I bought another cable which has DV at one end and firewire at the other. Plugged them in and nothing happen. My software Nero Express couldn't detech the device. Why? I have a USB 2.0 card(PCMCIA)that work with me external Hard Drive. My laptop is IBM T30. Is my laptop too old for everything? What else can I do?

Leah
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help, I'll try the things on your list but I was just wondering, I think it's possible that my PC doesn't have the Firewire under the device manager. It has the IEEE port but is it possible it isn't activated? If i'm making anysense to us (because I'm not making a lot of sense to myself.) is there a way I can activate the IEEE software or what not. When I bought the camera it said you need to download something from the canon website, but I've talked to canon and they said they don't make downloadable software...should I just go and talk to someone in a store that might know what's going on?
Once again thanks for all the suggestions about I'll look into them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
Bee,

I am not familiar with dual firewire/USB hubs. please give me a make and model number.

DV and firewire are two words for the same thing.

To capture digital video, you need about a 1GHz processor.

If you have connected your camcorder using firewire and it is not being recognised, refer to the debugging guide just above.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
leah,

In Device Manager, click on the "+" sign next to "IEEE 1394..." etc. You should see "OHCI IEEE 1394...." etc. Right click on it and check Properties. You should see "This device is working properly" or similar. Do you?

Cheers

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a question about video quality. I'm planning on buying a JVC gr-d270 camcorder in the near future. I'm wondering if there will be any loss in quality when I transfer the video from the DV tape to the computer via firewire. Whenever I view downloaded videos from the internet using windows media player the quality is always pretty poor. Can I expect this same video quality when I transfer video to my computer or will the video appear exactly as it did on the DV tape? Please help; I need to know before I buy. If it matters any, I have 512 RAM and Intel Extreme Graphics 3D (64 megs).

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
Bethany,

If you transfer digital video using firewire, you should expect perfect quality (i.e. identical to what you originally shot) and exactly the same length of video. What's more, it should transfer in real time, i.e. a 60 minute tape should take 60 minutes to transfer - using up around 12G of disk space, by the way. It's probably best to start off only transferring 10 minute chunks at a time to be conservative as it is a bit frustrating to be 90% through a massive upload only to run out of disk space or encounter some other problem.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Samsung VP-D101(i) mini DV camcorder, what do i need to get the images onto my PC. The instuction book asks for a data transfer cable and a IEEE1394 add on card ! but I have not got a clue what these are or what they are for, can someone please help?

Thanks
John

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
John,

IEEE1394 is another name for firewire. Firewire cards, bundled with cable and software, are cheap and readily available. Both desktop and laptop versions are available. Firewire is the standard high-speed interface used for transferring digital video from your camcorder to your PC.

Post again for further help as required.

Cheers.

ridgeway
Unregistered guest
Anyone?

My uncle has a Sony MiniDV camcorder with a MemoryStick slot (about 3 years old) and I want to help him transfer his motion videos onto a DVD disc - to be viewed in Germany using PAL.

I don't know if his camcorder has a DV slot or a Firewire slot (are these slots one in the same?). Sorry for my ignorance, this is new to me.

Thanks for any help,
Patrick

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
ridgeway,

1) Firewire/DV/IEEE1394/i-Link are all the same. If at all possible, use firewire (buy a PC card with cable and software if necessary) to transfer your video footage to your PC.

2) use a software programme such as Ulead VideoStudio to convert the format. Just choose "PAL DV" in the output stage.

3) Use this converted file to make a DVD using a DVD authoring programme such as Ulead MovieFactory.

Check www.videohelp.com for "how to" guides.

Hope that helps.

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help, Gromit!

noprayerfortheliving
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

Below is an email I sent to samsung but received no reply about. It will tell you what my problem is and all I need to know:

Hi,

I recently purchased a VP-D325i camcorder from you and was pleaseantly surprised to find that I could capture from the mini DV tape in my camcorder to my PC when the camera was connected via USB. However, whatever programme I use to capture the video, the footage seems to almost be in slow motion but the audio is fine. Is this how it is meant to be when capturing with USB or is there a problem with my equipment?

How can get better results other than capturing from an analogue capture card? Would firewire make any difference? If so, how should I do this and what sort of cable would I need?

Please reply,

Alex Fyfe

P.S.

I am using USB 2.0 with a Nivida Ge-force 4 graphics card. My OS is windows XP.Let me know if you require any more info on my system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
noprayerfortheliving,

To answer your specific questions:

1) Lots of people experience quality limitations when capturing video with USB. It might be stretching a point to say "this is how it is supposed to be".

2) Firewire will likely solve your problem. Buy a card packaged with a cable and software.

Cheers.

Yucaipa

Post Number: 9
Hey I was wandering how many of you guys have Ulead installed into your computer and when u installed the USB driver CD with Ulead on did u have to put in a serial number to register. I am having trouble trying to find that number even by contacting the Vendor who thinks it doesn't have one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
Christina,

I believe you are talking about VideoStudio.

I think it depends on the version you have. I am using a free version of Ulead obtained from the cover of PC magazine. That didn't require a serial number.

Conversely, I recently installed a copy of VideoStudio on a friend's PC (supplied with a DVD burner) and that one DID require a serial number.

If your installation is requesting a serial number, you can try ignoring the request but I don't think the installation will proceed. By the way, I know from our previous correspondence that your copy was obtained in good faith. If your vendor is unable to help you, you can either check with Ulead (who may have a thing or two to say) or you could always just Google "VideoStudio serial number".

Cheers.

Cobus
Unregistered guest
Hi there. I stumbled across this site in my search for assistance with transferring of my mini DV tapes to DVD or to my laptop. I am hoping that someone has an answer to my problem. I want to make backups at full quality of my DV tapes. However, when I transferred my first tape to my HDD using a Firewire connection and Intervideo WinDVD Creator, the resulting AVI file of the full 60 min DV tape was only about 1.7 Gigs in size. (I selected HQ quality from the menu when presented with the option). From what I understand a 60 min tape should end up being close to 13 Gigs in "uncompressed" format. This also means that one would not be able to back up a full 60 min tape to a single DVD? I would like to know whether I am right in my assumptions and whether someone maybe has a solution for me or can explain why a full tape backup to an AVI file is only 1.7G?
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Cobus,

You are right in your understanding of the file sizes that result from Dv transfer; one hour is indeed 12 or 13 Gbyte. This means that a single-layer DVD can only be used for about 20 minutes of full quality DV.

I would try another capture programme such as Windows MovieMaker, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio VideoWave to overcome your 1.7 Gbyte "problem".

Cheers

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Hi. I have another question. As I said before, I'm planning on buying the JVC gr-d270 miniDV camcorder; however, it doesn't have line input recording. Would I still be able to connect the camcorder to my VCR so that I could copy the video from the DV tape to VHS? Thanks!

Marcello
Unregistered guest
First of all, I would like to congratulate Gromit for all the precise responses and his enormous patience answering all the questions in a pretty much detailed way.
I think that reading all this stuff I could find out what I needed to know. However I am not feeling confident that at this point the only think I need (and I don't have it already installed yet) is one of the MovieMaker softwares. I am saying that because I connected my camera to my laptop via a pcmcia firewire card and I didn't get anything else but a "DV-IN" sign at the camera display plus the pcmcia icon on the tool bar.
I am using Windows 2000 (sp4). Do I need only to have all the hardware connected accordingly and the software running?
Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
bethany,

You definitely need video in to record FROM your VHS to your DV cam. The video OUT port which is provided on the 270 allows recording from DV cam to VHS.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
Marcello,

Thanks for the kind words.

To check if your firewire connection is working, look in Device Manager. When the camcorder is connected (and switched on), it should appear under "Imaging Devices".

Windows Moviemaker is not available in W2000. Try downloading Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio VideoWave.

Cheers.

noprayerfortheliving
Unregistered guest
Cheers Gromit! I'll give the firewire a try.

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Thanks once again, Gromit!

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know anything about the problems that windows xp sp2 causes in relation to firewire and camcorders? I read that it converts the driver to make 800 mbps devices to only being capable of 100 mbps or something. So my question is that if I have a firewire card capable of 480 mbps and a firewire cable capable of 400 mbps, will my system be at all affected? Thanks!

Yucaipa

Post Number: 10
Hey I was wandering how many of you guys have Ulead installed into your computer and when u installed the USB driver CD with Ulead on did u have to put in a serial number to register. I am having trouble trying to find that number even by contacting the Vendor who thinks it doesn't have one. OF if one of you can give me your serial number.

fraiser
Unregistered guest
Hello there, I have a panasonic nv gs120 mini dv camera and i am trying to capture footage to my avid program, i am using a firewire connection. My problem is that when i connect the camera to avid program and click play the sound plays fine, but i cannot see the footage. i just tried it again and the footage came out but it came out as if the resolution on the camera was to high and the computer couldnt handle it, like the image didt run smoothly on my pc screen at all. I am in desperate need of help.
i tried running the footage through windows movie maker and it runs fine :S further baffling me, what could be the problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Bethany,

Here is the Microsoft web page thyat explains the issue in detail and gives a fix:

"Update for Windows XP (KB885222)
After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, some 1394 devices (such as digital cameras that use S400 speed) may not perform as expected. Install this update to help prevent this issue. After you install this update, you will have to restart your computer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca0f2007-18b5-4112-8bd6 -8bf4bd3130b9&DisplayLang=en"

I think the nub of the issue is that the firewire card is set to 100 Mbit/s.

Cheers

Bethany
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Gromit!

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Sorry for not replying earlier. The port is made from Dynex, model number is DX-H743P.
I believe my laptop has more than 1 GHz processor. It shows Mobile CPU 1.80 GHz, 768 MB of Ram.
I still having problem to capture video from my camcorder to my pc.
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
Bee,

OK, now I understand.

1) Your camcorder DOES have a firewire port:
http://www.internetcamcordersdirect.co.uk/panasonic-nvgs150b-digital-camcorder-s pecs.htm

2) I believe you are connecting your Dynex hub to a USB port on your computer. I don't think that is going to help. You should view that product as two separate hubs which happen to be in the same box. There is no functional connection between the USB and the firewire. Unless your laptop already has firewire, you need to buy a PCMCIA card and connect that either direct to your camcorder or via your hub. I would probably suggest connecting it direct. Make sure the camcorder power is off when plugging in the cable.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Thanks for answering my questions. I bought Adaptec USB2.0 cardBus from BestBuy a month ago, and I don't think I can return it. Also, I need USB connection for my external hard drive (western digital). I checked bestbuy.com and found this PCMCIA card that works for both USB and firewire. The model is IOGEAR 2-Port USB 2.0 and 2-Port FireWire/IEEE 1394 Combo PCMCIA Notebook Card Model: GUF202 . Shall I get this one? Also, my other concern is the space to put 2 PCMCIA cards that have big ends. If I get this combo, I probably can use it for my hard drive(USB) and Camcorder(firewire). Please advise me before I waste any more money.
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Bee,

It looks good on paper, but as you point out, it will definitely occupy a lot of external space, i.e. no room for other PCMCIA cards.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers

Unregistered guest
Hey Gromit, I have a Panasonic NV-GS17EB camcorder with a DV out firewire port and a firewire port on my PC. The manual for my camera does not explain how to transfer using my camera, is it still possible? I would think so or there would be no point in the DV out firewire port.

If it is possible could you please explain how I would do it I have : Firewire port on both DV and PC, A Firewire, Windows Movie Maker V.2 - Is that enough?
Thanks in advance
Neil

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
Neil,

If by "A Firewire" you mean "A Firewire Cable" then the answer is "Yes"

See www.videohelp.com for "How to" guides.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
To update I got it working :D through movie maker thanks for the heads up anyway :-)
Neil

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
Neil,

Hey, we all need a good news story once in a while!

Have fun.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
One more question. I have a sony make firewire that fit just right into my comcorder DV on one end. I'm worry about the other end(to Laptop), meaning when I get my card, I have to make sure that both terminals are the same, right? This raised my concern because the HUB that I returned to bestbuy has a bigger terminal. I think I am asking a stupid question here. Sorry!

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
Bee,

The port on your camcorder will be the smaller 4-pin version. Laptop ports are normally the same type. Desktop ports are normally a larger, 6-pin type. If I am not mistaken, your proposed PCMCIA card purchase has both types of firewire port so it looks like you can't go wrong. But in any case, my own set-up connects between a small DV connector on the DV cam and a larger one on the PC and it works fine.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Yucaipa

Post Number: 13
Hi i have a question I recently bought DVD+r but ULEAD wont burn on it so what DVDs do i need to make movies.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,
I'm Sriram from India. Went through the post and yet haven't understood one bit probably 'cos I'm technically challlenged. And my question has probably been asnwered a thousand times.
Anyway I have an Canon Elura 60 NTSC DV camera. Now I want to transfer the images from the camera tapes and memory card to my comp without loss in qaulity. Though I use XP with SP2, the pc doesn't seem to recognise my camera and I'm unable to transfer images.
Previous posts here suggest use of IEEE 1394 cable. What the hell is that and how different does it look from the cable that came with the camera. And do I need to install anything else on my pc.
Thanks in advance
Sriram

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
Sriram,

My advice is to go to your local PC store and buy a firewire card, packaged with cable and video transfer software. For a desktop PC, the cable ends will look like this:

Upload
Upload

The larger end goes in your PC, the smaller into the camcorder. If you buy a card for a laptop, it might have the smaller connector the PC end as well.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Gromit
Will definitely try this one out.
Cheers
Sriram

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit Sriram again. I forgot to tell you. Tried some of the earlier tips posted here, including uninstalling Realplayer and checking out device manager. Guess what, no IEEE 1394 bus controller. Might that be the reason for this not working.
Cheers Sriram

Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a problem. I copied the video from my camcorder to Windows Movie Maker. After I edited the video, I wanted to copy it back on the camcorder. This process kept failing on me. I noticed my hard drive space went from 90GB to 12GB. I noticed about a drop of 12GB everytime I did this. Where did all my hard drive space go? I need it back. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us