Sony Cybershot - DSC-P51 Problems

Unregistered guest
I have had camera since March 2003. Has worked fine until now. LCD view is black with colored streaks. I have tried re-charging batteries, buying new batteries, re-formatting stick, reset button. When I did recharge batteries the first time, the camera appeared to be working again, but then quickly went back to the black screen with streaks. When I take a photo I get a photo of streaks with black background. If I turn LCD screen off, I still get the same affect. Help

Unregistered guest
I have had camera since March 2003. Has worked fine until now. LCD view is black with colored streaks. I have tried re-charging batteries, buying new batteries, re-formatting stick, reset button. When I did recharge batteries the first time, the camera appeared to be working again, but then quickly went back to the black screen with streaks. When I take a photo I get a photo of streaks with black background. If I turn LCD screen off, I still get the same affect.

Unregistered guest
I need a manuel my husband bought this camera a couple of months ago and we can't seem to find our manuel the camera does not want to work can't see any pictures on the LCD screen. What are we doing wrong???

ChrisGN
Unregistered guest
yep - it's not the LCD screen - there is something wrong with the shutter/chip that views and takes the photos... it's good to see that this is a common problem - perhaps Sony has set up a fix-it for us...

ChrisGN
Unregistered guest
yep - it's not the LCD screen - there is something wrong with the shutter/chip that views and takes the photos... it's good to see that this is a common problem - perhaps Sony has set up a fix-it for us...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4323
You are not doing anything wrong. The camera is now brokn. Send it in for repair or replace it. And no, Sony does not have a fix-it for that problem, they have howevre a repair that you can pay for. The camera is old and obsolete.

JoeFunVa
Unregistered guest
Hi Folks,
I got the black screen of death too. I found another post that said if you smack the side of the camera with your hand it will start working again. It smacked mine and IT STARTED WORKING AGAIN!
Hope this helps

Unregistered guest
It's a defective CCD sensor problem. Smacking it is not the solution. Select cameras ranging from serveral companies manufactured before March 2004 are known to have this problem. Sony has offered to fix select cameras with this problem free of charge.

To see if you have this problem, follow the instructions below:
- Make sure the batteries are fully charged and inserted correctly. If correct, continue.
- Insert a Memory Stick with pictures already on it. Go into "album" mode and see if you can view menus/photos on the LCD. If you can, continue.
- Try resetting the camera (little pinhole button on the bottom). A paperclip usually works. If nothing works, continue.
- Call Sony support and report the problem. Sony USA is offering free service.

For more information, follow the following link:
http://eservice.sony.com/ (US residents)

... and Berny, just because the camera is a late model camera does not make it obsolete. Sony is responsible for the problem, old or new. I'm sure there are still many owners using their P51 actively. It's efficient for taking good 4"x6" prints, and that alone is good enough for most people.

Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4490
What would you call it then? Doesn't obsolete mean that it is outdated, archaic or outmoded? Incidentally, that model has ceased production, and it IS obsolete. Sony has produced newer and better cameras and they have made leaps and bounds in technology, and those that are no longer selling or obsolete are being replaced by newer models. That's just the way technology is.

I am not contesting that a lot of owners of the P51 are still using this camera and that it prints out great 4x6 prints, but you can also be sure that a lot of previous owners have moved on to better cameras. Let's face it, there are newer and better cameras out in the market nowadays and Sony is just one of them and they certainly cannot hold the title of being the best in the camera business. I love their TVs and the Playstation, but I'd rather purchase a camera from another maker.

So is the P51 one of those "select" cameras that are known to have problems? The problem here is the term "select", they can always attribute the damage to neglect or abuse. The owner is certainly at their mercy and with the age of the P51 it is difficult to prove that the defect is one of design and not owner error. And if it is a manufacturer's problem, the right thing to do is repair it free of charge. If you have a great customer service experience with their repair facility or technicians, that is well and good. But it only takes a single bad experience to sour the transaction.

Nelson_Unregistered
Unregistered guest
Obsolete also means "no longer in use." I'm not saying the camera is not old but being old and outdated does not mean drop it and buy a new one. It works well (with the exception of this problem that Sony has agreed to fix) and it does it's job which is good enough for many. Those who don't agree are free to whip out their wallet and buy a new one.

By "select" I meant certain models manufactured before March 2004, and yes you're certainly right about abuse but natural occurances also speed up the process.

By the way, this is not an isolated Sony problem although Sony has the longest list of affected devices. For the complete list of devices, visit:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 4491
A lot of people are aware that this is not an isolated problem. However, that is not even relevant. Consumers don't care if it is a problem with all brands of cameras, what matters most is that it is "their" camera that is having problems. Telling the consumer that it is a common problem does not alleviate the issue. All that matters is that it needs to be fixed.

Either way, the issue here is for people who are having problems with the camera whether through poor design or negligence. Introducing the fact that some people are still using their old camera is not relevant to the issue.

If the fix is free, get it done. If it is not, do some research and see if it is cost effective to get it fixed or get a better model, preferably not Sony.

So then, is it safe to call a brand new broken Sony camera "obsolete"? After all, it is no longer in use:-)

janey419
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with the P51. For those in the UK there is also a free fix on offer from Sony - can find this at the UK website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_GB_Support&articlesecti on=2&article=1128075116465&site=odw_en_GB

or just phone 08705 143480.

For the record I think objections to the term "obsolete" were based more on its tone which was dismissive of the problem faced by users rather than a strict definition of the term "obsolete". To me the use of the phrase "the camera is old and obsolete" - factually correct or otherwise - suggests that the writer is arrogantly disregarding the views of others within the forum. I'm sure this was not the intention but it's certainly the impression given.

John21
Unregistered guest
I've tried the repair site given by the blokes who sold me the camera. Sony has deemed it was immersed in water and will not fix it for free. Fact of the matter was the camera was nowhere near water and has never ever been anywhere near moisture. I tried to argue my case but the acne-laden twerp in customer service claimed that there is "evidence" of oxidised material in the the camera. The camera is only 3 years old, I was expecting it to last another 2-3 years before upgrading. I couldn't hold any defence against such ridiculous "evidence". A very frustrating ordeal!

Username: Budweiserbabe

Post Number: 1
Hello, I recently picked up the sony cybershot P51 at a garage sale, and wanted to say thank you for the advice on the problem with the LCD screen. Like JoeFun, all I had to do was smack the side, and viola! Working screen. I was a bit disappointed though by all the controversy as to the camera being obsolete or not. My response is, who cares. I for one bought the camera because, lets face it, we are not all able to spend a bunch of money on "toys." A camera is a camera be it old or new.

Username: Cmar

Thanks JoeFunVa, smacking it on the side work like a charm. Go figure.
Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9157
Emergency repair procedure number one has struck again!

Username: Field_ghost

Post Number: 2
hey thr all, Camera works good except for taking pic's outside, lcd flashes and pic turns out white. I've read n reread instructons, hope oneone can help
thx bob

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13349
What mode are you using when taking pics outside?

Post Number: 3
I've used both scn and the other, with the same results.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13359
What happens if you use full auto without flash?

What happens when you use manual settings?

Post Number: 4
I'm not really up on the settings, but I've hit the reset button, soo I'm assuming that I'm in full Auto, i have tried it without flash, better pic's but still vvvery white.
With manual settings I get the best pic's but they still look milky?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13377
Did you check for condensation on the lens? This happens a lot when going from the inside to the outside.

Check the aperture opening as well. Consult the manual for aperture settings.

Post Number: 5
Hey Berny, we're cookin with hot oil now. Still messin around with aperture setting. everything seems fine thx for your help .........bob

Username: Xosamox

How do you turn the flash on on a sony cyber-shot 2.0 mega pixels DSC-P51 camera ????

how do you turn the flash on on this camera???????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13536
Where is your manual?

Post Number: 3
well you see my aunt gave me this camera and she lost the manual and i need to know how to turn the flash on today cause tomorrow i have to take pictures at the church :-(

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13537
At the back of the camera is a round 4 way switch with symbols. There is a lightning symbol on the top of this big round switch. This controls the flash...just toggle it on or off.

Post Number: 4
AHHH thanks

thanksss
thanksss
thanksss
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13542
You are welcome :-)

Username: Katemccrew

Newport, RI USA

Help. I have a new Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 mpx DSC-S6 and really, I've used it like twice. I do not have the receipt because it was a gift. It was purchased for me in March or so and I have just started using it now. Well, it no longer turns on. Even when fresh new batteries are put into it. It's breaking my heart!!!

Username: Andreeacarp

The same for me!!
I just bought a brand-new DCS-S650 in Sofia, Bulgaria- I took 2 pictures with it and I got the "black with purple stripes" screen. I'm Romanian, and since I didn't get an invoice while in Bulgaria, it was a real hassle to get one from back home, so I can actually go to Sony Service and get it fixed for free. They made me buy new re-chargeble batteries& charger- it worked till I got home- now I have the same black screen, with fully-charged batteries!!
I will ...kill somebody if they don't replace it- with a working one!!

Username: Papiinnyc

Thanks JOEFUNVA. You're a genius! One good whack on the right end of the camera, and voila... Black Screen of Death is gone! Worked for me!!!

Username: Battaliou

I got black/purple stripes screen of death on my DSC T75, tried recharging and smacking right side, all to no avail. Less than impressed after 2 months service. I was getting some nice pics until then though. Bought the camera at Frankfurt airport, now in Istanbul, any ideas before I get back to London?

Username: John_doe

When you have a black image or screen the problem could be with either the actual LCD panel or with the image sensor (called CCD). How could you know what the problem is? just turn on the camera and press the menu button or rotate the dial to the setup mode. If the problem is with the LCD panel the menu options won't be visible or will be distorted. If you can playback pictures or the menu options are OK...you have a bad image sensor.

Sony had a free repair process on SOME cameras and camcorders manufactured arround 2004 and the recall was active from 2005 up until the beginning of 2010. It already expired and the repairs are now been charge. No exceptions for this. There is no way to know if your camera is affected or had a defective sensor...but if the camera is showing the problems until now...than probably it wasn't. The affected models had the symptoms (black or distorted images) within the first months after been purchased but sony prolonged the free repair process to guarantee customer satisfaction.

This is just the way electronics work...You can't really expect that your equipment work forever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us