Nikon picture transfer

Neil E.
Unregistered guest
I bought a Nikon Coolpix S1. It's fine for my needs. The picture project software is a nuisance. I only want the software to transfer the pictures from the camera internal memory to the computer via USB. If I could get the transfer part to work as a stand alone application I would be happy. I have other programs that I prefer for photo manipulation. Operating system is WIN98SE. Any recommendations?

Neil E.
Unregistered guest
I moved the .exe for picture perfect to a different folder, so now it can't start after the transfer occurs. The downside is that the transfer operation can't delete the camera images after the transfer. For a minute there I thought I had found a solution. I can delete them manually using the camera.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3192
I would recommend the NikonView to transfer pictures if you already have a different photo editing software.
Picture project is really a totally useless program.

Unregistered guest
I can not transfer photos from my coolpix 5200 camera. everytime I click the transfer button nothing happens. I still am able to view edit and design my photos its just I can not transfer photos from my camera. all cables are hooked up computer running smoothly.

please help

louj
Unregistered guest
I have the pictures from the camera on to picture project but cannot copy them to a cd. I have deleted them from the camera. Picture project is a pain and I do not need it. If I can save the pictures I will get rid of it. Any advice?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3231
First find out how the pictures are saved on to your computer. If they are saved in a different folder, you can just uninstall the picture project software and this should leave your pictures in the folder. Back it up just in case.

Unregistered guest
I bought a Nikon Coolpix 8800. Can you recommend a software prigram to view the pictures on my computer other than picture project?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3249
Try NikonView, it is a free download. It should also be included in the camera bundle that you just purchased.
If not go to the NikonUSA website, that is of course if you are in the US.

cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 3250
If you want to pay for it, use Photoshop Photo Elements 3.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 179
An excellent freebie viewer is IrfanView.

Anonymous

I like the auto adjust feature in Picture Project but then if I want to make additional edits in Photoshop, I have to save at least one iteration to lossy JPEG. I want to be able to use the auto adjust feature in Picture Project and also additional editing features in Photoshop before converting my NEFs to JPGs. Does anyone know how I could do something like this?

Di
Unregistered guest
I am using picture project software that has been upgraded to 1.5 from the freebie version. I am losing my pictures as 'JPEG?' comes up on the image and i don't know what to do to get the image back up...... or have i lost the images for good? I have just started using this software for my new nikon d70.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3259
How are the pictures on the D70 being saved? How are they being transferred? More info.

I do not understand when you say "losing my pictures as 'JPEG'. do you know how they were saved onto the computer? Can you open these files by using just the picture viewer from your computer?

same guy as anon three posts up
Unregistered guest
my camera is the D50 by the way

Gold Member

Post Number: 3267
Do not alter your RAW NEF files in anyway. Always make a copy and file. Work with the copies. As far as doing editing work, once you work with one program you have to save it then you have to open it on another program for further editing.

me again,2 up
Unregistered guest
thanks Berny, so how would you suggest the best way to use the "Auto Enhance" feature of Picture Project and then use further edits in Photoshop is? (When I try to reproduce the effect of "Auto Enhance" in Picture Project in Photoshop, I am not happy with the results.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3270
What I would do in your case (although I really hate picture project) would be to do all the editing in Photoshop, save it as a TIF file. Open the TIF file in picture project then auto enchance then save it again as a TIF file. Save it to a JPEG file if you want.

me again,2 up
Unregistered guest
great stuff mate, thanks a lot

Username: Emiab76

Post Number: 1
i just bought a nikon coolpix 4600. i just realized that my cd-rom isn't working. do i have to install the software, picture project to view the photos?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3366
No.
You can just go to the NikonUSA website and download NikonView. It is a viewing software so that lets you automatically transfer your pics to your hard drive.

Username: Emiab76

Post Number: 2
i downloaded picture project, not nikon view because i am running 2000.
actually, i am running both windows 98 and 2000, which could be the
problem. the installation of picture project seemed to work, but when i
connect the camera and turn it on, my computer shuts down. when it
restarts, the picture project window does not come up....when i try to
transfer photos, it says not connected.

??

i'm sorry to be such an idiot, but i really appreciate your help and
prompt response.

me again 4 up
Unregistered guest
How do I save it as a .tif in Picture Project? The only option I can see is "Export JPG".

Gold Member

Post Number: 3374
You can't save a file and give it a different extension or file format on picture project. It cannot alter picture formats. Spend the money on Photo Elements, or some other photo editing program, its worth it. Picture project is not a very good program.

me again 2 up
Unregistered guest
yes well I just like the "Auto Enhance" feature in Nikon Picture Project, I can't seem to recreate anywhere else...

me again 2 up
Unregistered guest
yes well I just like the "Auto Enhance" feature in Nikon Picture Project, I can't seem to recreate it anywhere else...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3407
Have you printed out any of this pics with the Auto Enhance and without?

Make sure that your monitor is also properly calibrated.

Anonymous

I have a problem...when I use Picture Project to burn a picture CD, it puts the the pictures under new sub directories. I like to use my DVD player and my widescreen to view the pictures but my DVD player doesn't know the pictures are there unless they're on the root of the disc. I can't find any way to change in the software. It just does that automatically.

I have burned the pictures straight to a disc using Nero, but I would still prefer to do everything in 1 piece of software.

Unregistered guest
I would appreciate assistance with the following problem: my camera is Nikon D2X, my laptop is Apple G4. i take pics in Raw and Jpeg and then transfer to Picture Project. but i do not like this programme at all. i Photo is more user friendly ,but i do not like the idea of 2 pics appearing every time. i work in photoshop to adjust the pics. i would still like to use I Photo but it does not appear compatible. can anyone assist?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3676
Sorry Daniel,
iPhoto does not as of yet support RAW NEF files. You have to have Picture Project or some other proprietary format from Nikon. You can only work with jpeg formats on iPhoto.

You may want to post this query on www.nikonians.org and check if they can answer your questions regarding iPhoto.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3677
you may want to read this too

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6466-7776

You may have to shell out for Nikon Capture as I did to work on D2X files. I can still use the Adobe cs2 for working on my D2X files I just hate the WB issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Bogner

Post Number: 20
Do you know how to disable iPhoto so it will not automatically start when you insert a CF card into the reader? Both Nikon View and iPhoto start at the same time. Thank you!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3723
Sorry Bogner, I am not a Mac user.:-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I am having trouble with the Raw Nef format on my iMac. I know you are not an Apple guy, but how can I convert the Raw to Jpeg, or is that not possible? I cannot even open the raw with CS2.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3787
Are you using D2X?
Do you have NikonView6?

If you have NikonView 6 you can open your NEF RAW Files.

Click on the file (I don't know how to right click on iMac) and from there you can tell NikonView to conver it to a JPEG file.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I can open the files on Nikon view, but I cannot open it with CS2 to edit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3788
Once it is open on NikonView you can convert it to high quality jpeg and after it has been converted you can open it with CS2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
So you cannot edit raw nef pictures as is?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3792
Sorry Bogner, just upgraded to CS2 and still have to work around that issue. i seem to be having no problems with it because I also have Nikon Capture and I can open it straight away. Go to www.nikonians.org They have some issues regarding the Adobe CS2 and NEF files. They should be in a better position to help you. It is a great community and a lot of helpful folks. I am not at all that good with CS2 and NEF.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
What is the advantage of shooring in RAW, if you cannot edit until converted back to JPEG? Also, are the JPEGS that you get from the conversion better than the highest qualit JPEG from the camera?

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
RAW allows you to have full control over adjustments to the image before converting to a final file format. You can adjust exposure (usually by up to +/-2 stops), white balance, saturation, basic curves, etc. Some depends on the conversion software you use, but many of the basic postprocessing functions can be applied to the image before it's set in the final format. If you use PS, you can develop straight into the program ready for further editing. The advantage is that all edits once the file is processed are destructive; the more you can get done before the dstructive edit phase, the more leeway you have later. The downside of shooting straight to JPEG is it's an 8-bit file format, the RAW is the full 12-bit (saved as 16-bit) read by the sensor, and of course JPEG is a lossy compression.

Now if you need immediate access to the files or don't need to do any post processing, JPEG can work just fine.

Reviewing further on the thread, I see what the problem is: you are trying to covnert D2X NEF files in ACR3 (or ACR2 for that matter). Right now the D2X isn't supported because of Ninon's white balance encryption issue. Reading an article yesterday it seems that Adobe & Nikon have worked this out, so I'd expect support to be added in the future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3852
Bogner,
Chris pretty much summed it up. I am really hating Nikon with the WB issue.

And also if you do not do or wish to do a lot of post processing and not doing this on professional level, JPEG should work out just fine.

RAW just gives you a lot of options as far as controlling the final product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I amnot using a D2X, I am shooting with a D70s and I have CS2 which Berny mentioned does not support the D70s yet. Thanks for the explanation of the RAW though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3865
I really hate that The older version (CS) supports the NEF RAW. My upgrade is useless.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
CS and CS2 support the older versions of NEF. Remember, the manufacturers keep changing the spec with each camera model even though the extension is the same. My CR2 file is not the same as a 1Dxx or 350D CR2 file. It gives software developers fits & is why the openraw and DNG initiatives have life.

For the time being you Nikon guys are trapped with Nikon's software or shoot JPG. Of course, bad as some of the Nikon software is, it's at least usable; the Canon bundled software is laughable IMHO. From what I've read the CS2 upgrade is more extensive than just ACR--but it still sucks that it doesn't support the new NEFs; keep an eye on their site though, I suspect an update is now in the works.

Once you get a handle on the postprocessing it really doesn't take too long. I finished up a shoot from this weekend and spent no more than a couple minutes per shot (many were less than a minute) before sending it to automation. Ultimately use what's best for you & don't fall into the religious wars that start up on some of the photography fora.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Hey, Berny, look here: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7886-8002

Looks like your wait is almost over. At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel & it's not a train.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3878
LOL
Thanks for the info Chris.:-)
I really hate having to go through Nikon Capture just to play with it on CS2. It is so friggin' redundant and time consuming.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
You just have to love how hard they protect their proprietary format as if it's some kind of vital corporate secret & the comany is sunk if someone else sees how the file is formatted.

As if Canon really cares how Nikon formats their CCD data & Nikon really cares how Canon formats their CMOS data, or either one gives a leap how the Foveon data is saved. Sigh. If they'd just use DNG (or some commonly-agreed on format) and be done with it, we'd all be happy & they'd look like heroes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3903
Agreed. When will they learn that the photographers care about the pictures and not their coding. All we want is to take the pictures and see the results and fix those we don't like. We'll spend money on their gear but we will not buy a product we can't use.

PeteD50
Unregistered guest
The plug-in for camera Raw 3.2 is now available at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html I have tried it on CS2 and it works for Nikon D50

Gold Member

Post Number: 4180
Thanks PeteD50, that is good news.

ahimoth
Unregistered guest
I can't get the pictures to transfer from my Coolpix 3100...I plug it in, no problem, I have Nikon View 6. When I try to get the picture, I get a "Removable Disk" but it tells me there's no memory card in the camera or no disk in the drive. It's all in, everything's good. Please help, thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5054
Get a memory card reader and use it to transfer pictures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us