Brad W if you wouldn't mind...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10799
I'd like to know your opinion on MSI computers. I'm looking to get a new laptop and know in general what brands are good or not from expierence, but I've got no expierence with MSI... i knew they made motherboards but thats it.

Right now I can't decide between this Toshiba and this MSI. I know Toshiba to be good and reliable but the MSI has a bit better processor and video for the same price:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Co re%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Midnight+Breeze/9577077.p?id=1218131141548&skuId =9577077

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=52543 89&CatId=4938

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5457
Micro Star is a great company and I have been buying their mobos and vid cards for years, and their laptops are well thought out for the most part and have great features for the money, but... I have a friend who bought one and he can't stand the keyboard which he says is "flimsy feeling, flexes in the middle, and is cramped". He also complains about the "strange" touchpad. After he told me this I Googled them and found many people reporting the same issues. It's the type of thing where you either love or hate their keyboard and touchpad, but most people are on the hate side. I also hear that MSI has horrible customer service, i.e. no 1-800 number and force you to fill out an online form and wait for a response. I haven't had any issues with any of their gear that I have bought, so this is just hearsay.

Toshiba is a proven winner in laptops and has been making and improving them for years, where as this is MSI's first generation of laptops. And this particular Toshiba model is getting great reviews all over the net. MSI will no doubt fix the keyboard and mousepad issues in the next design phase, but right now they have some problems on their hands. And the difference between the 2.1 and 2.2GHz processor will not be noticeable in any application. All the other specs are equal, 4gig RAM, 320gig HD etc.Also, the Toshiba's Radeon HD 4330 benches way higher than the integrated Intel 4500MHD. 2357 to 603 (3D Mark '06) to be exact. Go with the Toshiba for sure.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10804
Thanks for the info. But I think you got the video cards mixed up, the Toshiba has the integrated and the MSI has the Radeon.... so would you still recommend the Toshiba as the better choice?

On the MSI the touchpad issue wouldn't be a big deal since i always use a mouse but if the keyboard has issues that could be a deal breaker.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10805
Also I can't seem to find any reviews on the MSI?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5460
Sorry I got mixed up on the video cards. Your link for the MSI didn't work so I am assuming it is the MSI A6005-201US. All of the models in this line share the same keyboard and people have been complaining. Read the reviews below at newegg on similar models. I would still get the Toshiba unless you plan on playing games and programs that are video intensive and need that extra video card power.

link

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10806
Yea thats the one, its $600 at tigerdirect same as the Toshiba at Best Buy. Well thanks again, I'm leaning towards getting the Toshiba only because I don't know if the keyboard issue would bother me. Just wish I would have got it on black friday for $500

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 3016
m.s. i had that toshiba .. and the operating system keep failing everytime i booted up ... i took it back 3 times for the same issue ... it mightve been a bad batch of computers but toshiba customer support for the issue was mediocre at best...

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4763
Yahoo had an article for best laptops under $700. Dell has a latop that can probably compete with the toshiba your looking at for $550. Its the inspiron 15. I'm not really into laptops. It would probably take me a year of researching before I buy my first laptop lol.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10812
Dell's get nothing on Toshiba in terms of quality. There was a time when they made decent stuff but that was the 1990s haha.

Working in the I.T. field I know by now whats good and whats not... Toshiba is the most reliable of the mainstream brands. MSI makes good hardware so I'd expect their laptops to be the same, but after reading the reviews and not being able to actually test a unit myself I decided play it safe and ordered the Toshiba. Should get it by christmas.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2973
Brad W is a noob FYI

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10882
Got the Toshiba system... its an amazing upgrade haha. Posting from it right now

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4770
Brad. I was looking for some HT speakers. I remembered when you showed me Athena/energy but now that the models I wanted are no longer produced I'm out of luck. After researching the avs forum. I found a company called psb. After doing some research I was able to come up with this combination of speakers.

PSB:
T45
B15's
C40's

All can be had for about $1k before shipping/tax if any.

Just wanted to know what you think.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5521
PSB speakers are awesome, but you could save alot of money and not lose that much sound going Athena.

I would get three LS-300's for L,C,R and two LS50's for surround. Will be $530.10, free ship. Spend the savings on a better receiver like Pioneer Elite.

LS300

LS50

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21749
Brad, if I had the $ I would have you design the sound/acoustics of my entire house.

HT, Living room, deck, it allllll.

Might even want an IB.

Seeing as I live in a one story ranch house it wouldn't take you but an hour lol.

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4772
Brad. One reason I wasn't going to purchase energy or athena was because of the fact that they stopped production. I don't know how hard it would be to get parts if anything was to break down. Also, I was going to get the energy c300 L/R, c-c100 center, and c100's for rears. That would cost $850. 3 towers for L/C/R. I think I rather just have a center for center instead of a tower. I might do the c50's for rears.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us