Ceiling speakers

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3045
What's up guys? I'm in the process of buying a house I should be getting the keys later on this week. The house is only two years old. The previous owner ran wires on living room for ceiling speakers. I've started to browse around and found a few of them. I was hoping you guys would point me to the right direction. I'm new to this home audio stuff. What brands should I look at and what brands should I stay away from? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5428
These would work good:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-404

Anything name-brand (Bose, MTX, Polk, Definitive) will sound a bit better, but will cost you between 2x-5x more.

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3046
I was looking at those earlier today. Those would defiantly fit on my budget. I think four of those would work right? What receiver should I power them with? I notice they are only 35rms.

Anyone else has any suggestions?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5429
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38092 12&CatId=4586

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15681
is anything wrong with using car audio coax or even comps in ur ceiling ? ...

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1487
yes that wou be "teh ghettos". ceiling speakers are specifically design for that application.

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3047
Brad that looks really good for the price. But I don't know if it would work for me. Let me give you my layout and budget. I know this will allow you to help me out better. I already picked the TV it's a Mitsubishi 73837. I would like to have 4 speakers in the ceiling maybe 6. I also plan on buying a sub or using a car sub but would need help on that too. Here is my budget.
TV - Is already approved by the wife.
Ceiling speakers - 400 bucks
Receiver - 200-400 bucks
Sub - 200-250 bucks

Rovin I don't think there is. I just thought buying speakers that are built for ceiling would be better. Better in a since they com pre build with a cover.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5431
Oh Gus I thought you just wanted music in there. Are you talking about doing surround sound for the TV?

There are a few reasons why car speakers won't work too well for ceiling mount purposes:

First is they don't have the mounts and would be pretty hard to install.

Second, they will be 4ohms and would have to be put in series pairs to make 8ohms per side and that would cause phase cancellation if they were close together, and would cause problems with the stereo image if they were placed in pairs far enough apart to avoid phase issues. Almost all home receivers don't like 4ohms per channel at all. There are some that have impedance switching, but those will be way out of your budget.

And third, ceiling mount speakers are built in a way that the suspensions are optimized for free air use, which car speakers aren't. You could always build a lightweight box around them but depending on the layout up above your ceiling, that could be tricky.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15688
good informative thread ....

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3048
You got that right Brad surround sound. Sorry I wasn't being clear. Would those Dayton work in a home theater setup? Below is a picture I took last night. The green circles are where the speaker would go. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks again for all the help.
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us