OT: Computer cases

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3019
He guys, I was just wondering where I can find a site that sells a bunch of cases, or a bunch of sites that sell different cases.

I friend of mine is piecing ogether a desktop that I'm going to build this summer, and I wanted to pick out a chassis.

The only site I know of, that's reputable is newegg.com, help please?

I'll prob come back on here with a list of parts he has gotten together and ask if there is better out there, or something that I don't or do need.

Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1446
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=32

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1447
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1510

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1448
http://www.xoxide.com/pccases.html

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3020
thanks mark!

any more help will be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1291
frozencpu.com
newegg.com

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8312
The best bang for your buck is an Antec 900. Rated very, very high among cases in that price range.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3021
Thanks guys, Rob, I may be asking you for some help/approval once we get this list of parts together. Would you be willing to help?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8316
Sure, I just picked up a Quad core 9450 and throw away mobo for only $249.99 yesterday which is 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere online pretty much and the mobo it came with has onboard video and sound and is decent for the time being although my sound drivers wouldn't work =/ That didn't matter because I put my X Fi platinum card in anyhow. But yea, I'll help you out haha. It's probably a good idea to look into Quad core though because most of the future games and software will take advantage of it.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3022
yeah well I wanted to get a quad, but it just seems really expensive, haven't really looked into it though. I'm not even that familiar with computers.

Mainly, all I want this desktop for, is for being able to run the new star craft to it's full potential, and I want the availability to run AutoCAD at full speed. I want no lag, and great picture, and satisfactory sound.

could you give me some advice?

my budget for EVERYTHING is 800 or less. depending on what's available, options I have, I may spend more. I do want at least a 320GB and 500GB(if not a TB). And 4-6GB of RAM

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3023
If the Quad core 9450 is in my budget, could you link me to where it's that 249.99, unless you got it used or something.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4244
I highly recommend Thermaltake and CoolerMaster cases.

But whatever you decide on, get a huge case, they are much easier to work inside.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1292
or get a case with a removable MB tray. that makes life so much easier.}

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3025
Thanks guys!!!

Brad, Rob, and anyone else with knowledge on this subject. As far as EVERYTHING goes, what do yall suggest for a grand or less.

As I said before:
"yeah well I wanted to get a quad, but it just seems really expensive, haven't really looked into it though. I'm not even that familiar with computers.

Mainly, all I want this desktop for, is for being able to run the new star craft to it's full potential, and I want the availability to run AutoCAD at full speed. I want no lag, and great picture, and satisfactory sound.

could you give me some advice?"

and yes my budget has moved to $1000 maybe more or less depending.

I want quad core, 6GB of ram, for sure if it's in the budget.

Thanks in advance!!!

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3031
bump

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8330
If you plan on playing SC2(Starcraft 2) I would definitely go with a quad core setup as it will run the game to it's full potential and don't forget about the whole other sh1tload of games coming out soon that will be designed to run to optimum performance through quad core. I got my board and mobo for $249.99 through an insane deal brand new and although the board is only 30 bucks brand new anywhere on the net the processor costs $340ish most places on the web so it was a deal I couldn't pass up. You'd be fine running 4 gigs but if you want to run 6 that's not going to happen. 4 or 8 would be your options. Running 6 wouldn't work properly even though some people do it. With a 1,000 budget you can definitely setup something nice.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8331
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/System-Builder-Marathon,1962.html

You might want to bookmark this page. That's pretty much the best bang for your buck right there every month and it always gets updated. Hopefully they'll have a quad core based mobo and processor in this month's build.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3039
without looking through that link you just posted, (I know you and Brad are both well oriented and knowledgeable when it comes to computers) I was wondering if you could give me a list of suggestions for everything short of a mouse and keyboard.

If Brad could help me out, that would be great too.

On to searching that site you just linked.

Bump for more help!

Thanks again!

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3040
I'd also like to bump up the budget to an initial cost of 1500,

Since you mentioned 6 gigs wouldn't work, 4 or 8(preferred) would be fine.

I would also like a mobo that supports quad core, so that I can run dual until I have the money for a full quad.

500GB hdd, decent vid and sound card

HELP PLEASE, I would like to start this within the next few weeks.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8336
With a 1500 dollar budget you can get some pretty serious gear. I'll look into it but you definitely can build something sweet. Especially if you don't have to pay for an O.S..

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3047
I would really really appreciate that Rob, as I know next to nothing about gaming pcs, or pcs at that.

I await what ever you can get together for me!

Thanks again!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8350
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-performance,1959.html

What is listed here is a great base. You could go with that exact setup or give or take a few parts, for example you could take out one of the hard drives and one of the video cards to save cash upon initial build and then later on upgrade if needed. You can purchase a more powerful processor for a bit more money using what you took from the hard drive and video card. Keep in mind that things are cheaper just about every week in the world of PCs.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4128
Prices really do fall fast. Looking at the prices I paid for my current pc back in january. The main price drop comes from graphics cards. My cpu only dropped 10 bucks. Price of case stayed the same. So on and so forth. I have a coolermaster 690 case. Great case with lots of room. Find a case that you like, and search youtube and someone will most likely have a review on it if its a popular case.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3054
So judging off what I read, a lot of people are saying that intel core 2 duo would be a better choice than the quad.

Also suggesting to get the 4850s instead of the 8800s for graphics.

I don't think I'll need liquid cooling, so we can save money there.

I do really like the case, resembles the antec 900 you linked me too earlier in this thread, although it seems to come with a lot more, stock that is.

that being said, is there anything you would personally change about the build, something i can save money on? I do have the money for a system of that price right now, and I'm really excited to get this started.

I noticed that build also has a bit over 4 gigs, can I up that to 8 in the future?

I also noticed, the "sound" portion cost nothing in this build, is that because it came stock or they just didn't use one?

BTW, what is overclocking?

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3055
bump

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8362
"I also noticed, the "sound" portion cost nothing in this build, is that because it came stock or they just didn't use one?

BTW, what is overclocking?"

Onboard sound was used that came on the mother board and overclocking is when you increase your processor's clock speed so for example you'd run a 2.8GHZ processor at 3Ghz but you'd need to increase your voltage supply to the chip and you'd also generate more heat which can cause things to become unstable. I highly recommend going with quad core as opposed to dual as all the future applications and games will be able to take advantage of it.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3059
would you suggest I go with just this exact build? or anything you would change, even to a superior quad, if one exists for the same price range.

I noticed a lot of people use the artic freezer 7 as their cpu cooling unit, when it comes to using fan vs liquid cooling. is there anything you would suggest here?

I don't intend on getting into hardcore gaming, so I think liquid cooling may be over doing it.

Thanks for the explanation on overclocking, I will avoid trying to achieve that.

also, if I do go with this build, should I use the provided graphics cards or the ones that others are suggesting i.e. 4850s?

the mobo provided has slots for at least 4 ram cards, right?

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1449
http://www.abs.com/

I have the Gladiator Pro M5 model. It's not on the website anymore, but I was told it's the best money can buy. I payed less than $1,700 for the tower, around $2,200 all together for the system.

Excellent customer service too. They to through Newegg.

Bronze Member
Username: Flyingleaf

Post Number: 23
Newegg, zipzoomfly and tigerdirect are good palces to go.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8379
"I have the Gladiator Pro M5 model. It's not on the website anymore, but I was told it's the best money can buy. I payed less than $1,700 for the tower, around $2,200 all together for the system.

Excellent customer service too. They to through Newegg."

There's no way that you're getting the best money can buy with only 2200 bucks lol. Some people have over 2k into video cards alone in tri-SLI setups.

Thieves, liquid cooling has the potential to be less noisy so that's why some people do it. I'll look into this more a bit later, gotta go right now.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8380
would you suggest I go with just this exact build? or anything you would change, even to a superior quad, if one exists for the same price range.

Tom's puts together a mean azz system for your money and it's hard to beat.

I noticed a lot of people use the artic freezer 7 as their cpu cooling unit, when it comes to using fan vs liquid cooling. is there anything you would suggest here?

In liquid vs air cooling liquid is better overall but liquid can be dangerous as water and electronics don't mix and I've heard of horror stories even through VETERAN computer builders when things go wrong.

I don't intend on getting into hardcore gaming, so I think liquid cooling may be over doing it.

Air cooling will be just fine so don't worry.

Thanks for the explanation on overclocking, I will avoid trying to achieve that.

Yea, overclocking isn't needed at all but some people are crazy about needing speed even though they don't. It's more about bragging rights pretty much.

also, if I do go with this build, should I use the provided graphics cards or the ones that others are suggesting i.e. 4850s?

That would be up to you and you can either go cheaper with the cards or get something a bit better. Like mentioned the longer you wait the cheaper PC components get or you'll get a better component for your money. I'm waiting to upgrade my parts right before Fallout 3 comes out(Check my thread in the subwoofer section on the game).

the mobo provided has slots for at least 4 ram cards, right?

It should, I'd have to look into that for you but just about every GOOD or decent mother board will have 4 slots for ram and up to I believe, 16GB up ram. I'll help you out more later on if possible.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3071
sweet thanks for all the help Rob. are you saying the 4850 is a leaser card?

I also made a thread over there, and am being told that for my purposes I don't really need two cards and I'd be fine with just one. Although the ability to use two is always welcomed.

That being said, seems like my only problem is a MB, there are hundreds of MBs, I don't know which one to choose. I looked at a few GIGAs but there are several reviews about them rebooting constantly on their own, endlessly. what would you suggest as far as MBs go?

again, thanks for everything!

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21913
rob is da man.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8388
The 4850 is a great card but when you put it up against a Nvidia 280GTX(Nvidia's top dog) it won't be near as good. The more you spend the more you get MOST times lol.

I'd probably go with this board if I didn't have the money to spend on a higher end board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024 if I did have a bit more money I'd get a 790i board.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3072
wow, that's 100 more than on the sub 2000 dollar build. but if I only get one vid card and a fan CPU cooler, I should be able to save money and afford that MB, correct?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8390
The CPU will come with a stock cooler and you can always upgrade it later. Like I said Thieves you can always go back and beef up parts that you cut a corner on.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8391
I'll be purchasing a new mobo, a Nvidia GTX 280 or two, a new case, new ram and a super beefy power supply before Fallout 3 comes out. They are supposed to come out with a new Intel chip around September so if you wait until then you'll probably get more bang for your buck Thieves.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4405
Thieves if you decide to get the 280GTX go with the same company as the mobo Rob linked a few posts up... EVGA. They are making some of the best and highest rated gear in the industry.

And Rob, for that super beefy PS, get a Seasonic. They are the ones making power supplies for Corsair, Antec, EarthWatts and PC Power among others. Quiet, efficient, stable high-amp rails, and super rugged -- they are the best out there and that's why they can offer a 5 year warranty. I highly recommend the genuine Seasonic branded models. I have installed them in at least dozen rigs and have never seen (or heard of) one fail.
Hooked Berny Mac and Cheese up with one too.

The modular beast from the East:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151030

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8408
That's a nice power supply but 600 watts isn't going to cut it. I need at least a Kilo-watt if not more =/ The 280GTX pulls a ridiculous amount of juice and if I do end up running two(Over-kill I know but I want to max every game) I'll be in big trouble. Under peak load the card pulled 318 in one bench(This was a GTX280 but not sure of the brand) so 2 of them would be problems especially if running multiple fans and a couple Hds/DvD drives. I'll figure it out but I'll see what bigger Power supplies Seasonic has to offer. Might even have to run dualies but I hope not.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4409
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21944
lol rob. you don't need kilo-watt.

i on the other hand need 1.5 jigawatts.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3073
wow you guys are a RIDICULOUS amount of help!!!!

and wow that vid card is way out of my price range!!!! but I may buy one in the future depending on how into pc gaming i become.

on another note, I was wondering if you guys could help rectify a problem I'm having.

problem:
I installed starcraft, ran fine the first time, not it's way too choppy. the gameplay (video and sound) are real choppy. I recently installed 2 GB of ram, instead of 1 GB, defragged my laptop, and got rid of a few unnecessary start up processes as well as other processes while my comp was running. Still, I have a chopped up gameplay experience. what can I do to fix this?

if it matters I also have 40GB/65GB of harddisk space free.

I have a Dell e1505 with the core 2 duo. everything stock besides the ram and an external HD

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21959
thieves you get what you pay for. you have to buy the most expensive graphic card if you want your games to run properly.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8418
"thieves you get what you pay for. you have to buy the most expensive graphic card if you want your games to run properly."

Lol, Chad you have all the jokes lately lol.

Thieves, you shouldn't be having any problems running Starcraft because it has such low requirements but... it could be a couple of things in your case but I'm guessing your processor is taking a crap on you and is heating up quite a bit which is causing poor performance, I had the exact problem with my old processor, it was trashed. It took me 2 weeks of configuring it by changing the supplied voltage and running it in turbo mode, over-clocking, under-clocking, upping ram voltage before finally finding something that worked DECENT lol. I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a mobo/processor combo so I jumped on it so that's why I have a Q9450 and new mobo right now. Got the package for $249.99(From Fry's Electronics) and the processor sells for $349.99 by itself in most places.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8421
I'm thinking about getting an Antec Twelve Hundred formy new case but I'm going to look around a bit more before I decide at this point, I'm actually not dropping any money on PC components until the last weeks of September right before FO3.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21968
thieves is getting ready for star craft 2 rob. he needs the best graphic card. otherwise the game is going to freeze. was reading about starcraft 2 and it needs alot of memory.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8424
If he's getting ready for SC2 he better step up his micro. If you can't micro you'll be fugged.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21969
yeah and we all know asians are the king of micro. i mean look how good i got on dota so quick.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8429
Asians are kings of micro(Boxer being one of them(SC champ for many years)). Too bad you're not even good at controlling 1 unit lol.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4430
Asians are indeed kings of micro (penises).

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21981
fukkk you and the horse you rode in brad.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4431
Upload

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8435
Lol, what a huge setup.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3075
what do you mean by micro?

and that is an insane deal for that combo you got!!! I looked it up last night, even on the fry's website, dayum.

so here is my list as it stands:
MB : EVGA 780i
CPU : Q6600
CPU Cooler : Arctic Freezer 7
Graphics : Sapphire Radeon 4850
RAM : CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB
Case : Antec 900 or the NZXT Tempest
Power : Thermaltake toughpower W0105RU 700W(comes with in a combo with the vid card) or the SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM (Brad suggested)
HD : WD 640GB

that comes to ~1200, any modifications? or suggestions?

I think I may wait a few more weeks to buy all this stuff, I am moving soon, plus I have to pay for a new set of tires soon.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8454
I'd probably run a better CPU cooler personally and here's something to look at to aid you in your choice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-charts,1967-9.html

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3077
I'm seeing xigmatec>arctic cooler

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8472
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-charts,1967-12.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »