Seattle Sonics

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2261
whats your opinion on the possible move to Oklahoma City?

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3111
Sucks for the fans. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but as far as i know, Seattle supports the Sonics/Seahawks/Mariners really well. And it's not like the Sonics have been an abysmal franchise or something, they've had great players and have been playoff contenders multiple times. I mean hell, weren't they like a 2 seed a couple seasons ago?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2262
idk as far as the seeding goes, but it doesnt help them that the owners are from oklahoma. but im for the move since i live 50 minutes from OKC

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3113
I can't really relate, i'm a Chicagoan and i think Chicago & New York are pretty much ALWAYS gonna have at least 1 team for each major sport, just the type of cities they are. I would put L.A. on that list too but Cali is different in that there are a bunch more major cities w/in the state. Which is kinda why they have no NFL team currently, cause ppl can still root for the 49'ers, chargers and raiders. Although i hear L.A. is definitely wanting a football team again.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1731
Well... the fan support for the Hornets when they moved here to OKC was very strong.

So I think any NBA franchise that moves here will automatically be more popular than its birth location... Kinda weird... but OKC is growing hella fast. Bricktown is always under construction

Gold Member

Post Number: 2263
we cant support 2 major league teams. plus that would draw away from our beloved sooners in football. basketball would be good for us here tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2264
yeah bricktown is getting crazy huge. drizzle i was there the other night and i had no idea they took lincoln exit down into bricktown on i40. i was so confused, i had to turn around on 35 to get back. it was bad. but yeah its coming around big time.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 15431
NBA owners approve Sonics' move, pending litigation
ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 19, 2008, 9:44 AM ET

NBA Approves SuperSonics Move To
Oklahoma City

NEW YORK -- The messy split between Seattle and the SuperSonics lurched forward Friday when NBA owners approved relocating the team to Oklahoma City -- a move legal wrangling might delay another two years.

"I'm giving this press conference in the face of a scorched earth policy," said NBA commissioner David Stern, who criticized civic leaders suing to force the team to stay until its lease expires in 2010.

He charged that their "strategy is to inflict as much harm on the Sonics in Seattle" to try to force a different outcome.

Owners voted 28-2 in favor of the move, with Dallas and Portland against it. The relocation carries a $30 million fee, and the Sonics could begin playing in owner Clay Bennett's hometown as early as next season.

All that is contingent on resolving the lawsuit filed by Seattle, which has rejected a $26 million settlement offer from Bennett.

Stern directed his ire at Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and former U.S. Sen. Slade Gorton, who is helping with the suit.

"I think that Sen. Gorton and the mayor are determined to exact whatever pound of flesh is possible here, and they will," Stern said. "And then the team will leave at the end of whatever period of time the court says it is required to stay for, and that will be it, period."

Stern said the league is prepared to play out the remaining two seasons in Seattle, but he cautioned that would mean a possible loss of $30 million a year for a team playing in front of reduced attendance.

"Right now, there's no speedy resolution on the horizon," Stern said. "There's a contested trial, a pretty hot atmosphere."

With the move, the Sonics would be the first NBA team to change cities since the Hornets went from Charlotte to New Orleans for the 2002-03 season.

That would delight one city.

"The vote further confirms that Oklahoma is in the big leagues and can compete with anyone," Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry said in a statement.

But before the team can compete in Oklahoma City, it must settle the issue of the lease. Seattle's lawsuit is set for trial on June 16.

"Step 1 is I am hopeful that we can re-establish communications and some sort of platform to have a meaningful, principled conversation," Bennett said. "We are certainly nowhere near that today."

When asked during a news conference later Friday in Seattle if he was expecting a new, richer offer from Bennett, Nickels said, "I don't really care."

"We're going to go into court in June," Nickels said. "We are going to protect the interests of the people of Seattle."

Though Stern insisted it wasn't personal, he repeatedly criticized Seattle officials.

"The presentation from Washington is, 'We're going to kill you,' " Stern said.

When asked about "the shots you took today" from Stern and Bennett, Nickels said to consider the source.

"We're in litigation, and the other side has got to say what they think they have to say to punch holes in our case," he said. "I think it shows they have a pretty weak case. We are focused on June, on winning that litigation and keeping the team here."

Bennett defended his efforts to try to keep the franchise there. E-mails between Bennett and his ownership partners released recently as part of the city's lawsuit appeared to show they planned to move the team to their hometown all along.

Stern said the other owners never "questioned the good faith of Clay Bennett," and Bennett said his words had been misinterpreted. When he wrote, "I am a man possessed! Will do everything we can," he meant he was determined to find a way for the Sonics to remain in the city, Bennett contended. He cited at least 30 trips to Seattle and "millions of dollars" spent as evidence of his commitment.

"I also want to express my regret to the citizens of Seattle and the fans of the Sonics that I was unsuccessful in bringing forth a new building," he said. "We tried the best we knew how to try and did what we knew how to do and did the best job I could."

Stern warned Seattle isn't likely to land another NBA team anytime soon for the same reason the Sonics are leaving: the ongoing reluctance of state and local officials to help pay for a replacement for outdated KeyArena. Stern dismissed the idea that a group led by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer would be able to find an arena solution and eventually purchase the team from Bennett to keep the Sonics in town.

Bennett is also facing a class-action lawsuit brought by season-ticket holders who say they were duped into buying tickets under the premise the Sonics wouldn't leave. And this week former team owner Howard Schultz announced plans to sue to get the team back, saying Bennett did not make a good-faith effort to secure a new arena deal as he promised when he bought the team in 2006.

The NBA's Sonics' move drew strong reaction from Washington's two U.S. senators, who asked the league to delay its vote.

Sen. Patty Murray says she is disappointed that NBA leaders ignored calls for good-faith efforts to keep the Sonics in Seattle and rewarded what she labeled "the bad-faith behavior" of Bennett.

Sen. Maria Cantwell says the Sonics have been part of the Seattle community and its culture for more than four decades. As an avid sports fan, Cantwell says she is dismayed to see the NBA rewarding such "unsportsmanlike conduct."

She says the Sonics ownership misrepresented their true intentions to the community.

Stern and Bennett said it had yet to be determined whether the franchise will carry the SuperSonics name, colors and history with it to Oklahoma City.

The rights to those could be a bargaining chip in Bennett's negotiations with the city, with Seattle possible retaining them for a future team. Stern suggested that calling the club Oklahoma, instead of Oklahoma City, might be desirable because it reflects the importance of other parts of the state such as Tulsa in the franchise's viability.

Of the two teams that voted against the move, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has previously expressed concerns about the market size, and it also happens that Oklahoma City is just 200 miles from Dallas. Stern said the Portland Trail Blazers, owned by Seattle software billionaire Paul Allen, didn't say why they voted the way they did.

Stern played down the fact that Oklahoma City is a much smaller market than Seattle.

"The judgment was that the prospect of continued further losses in Seattle without an adequate arena really rendered that discussion with no good answer other than the movement of the team to Oklahoma at this point," Stern said.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2265
yeah i knew about that already. im glad. i hope it all works out here in okc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us