Digital TV transition...

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13902
Digital TV transition...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

READ...
https://www.dtv2009.com/FAQ.aspx

1. What is the digital television transition?
At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.

2. Will my television work after February 17, 2009?
Analog television sets receiving free TV using an antenna will not work after February 17, 2009. Television viewers with these sets that are not connected to a pay TV service will need to take action before February 17, 2009, to ensure their TV sets continue to work.

3. What are my options so I can continue to get TV after February 17, 2009?
Consumers have a variety of options. If you're not sure what to do, take a quick quiz to help you figure out what to do at www.DTVTransition.org. Options to explore include:
a..Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after Feb. 17, 2009, or
b..Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service, or
c..Purchase a television with a digital tuner.

4. What is a TV converter box?
A TV converter box is a new product available in early 2008 that plugs into your analog TV and, along with your antenna, will keep your analog set working after February 17, 2009. A TV converter box is a one-time purchase and is expected to cost between $50 and $70. A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program. For a list of TV converter boxes that can be purchased with $40 government coupons, please click here.

5. What is the TV Converter Box Coupon Program?
Congress created the TV Converter Box Coupon Program for households wishing to keep using their analog TV sets after February 17, 2009. The Program allows U.S. households to obtain up to two coupons, each worth $40, that can be applied toward the cost of eligible converter boxes.

6. How do I get my coupons?
Between January 1, 2008 and March 31, 2009, consumers can apply for up to two $40 coupons per household by calling 1-888-DTV-2009 (1-888-388-2009), 1-877-530-2634 (TTY), by applying online or by mailing their application to PO Box 2000, Portland, OR 97208-2000. Coupons will be mailed to requesters.

How do I know if I have an analog or a digital TV?
What you need to know is whether your TV set has something called a "digital tuner" already built in. If it does, your TV set will work after February 17, 2009. The best way to determine whether your TV set has a digital tuner built in is to consult your owner's manual. If that's not possible, you may be able to look up information about your TV set on the manufacturer's website. Or, you can take an up-close look at your TV set. In any case, you're trying to find out if your set has an input connection labeled "digital input" or "ATSC" (for Advanced Television Systems Committee, which is the DTV format).

Here are some general guidelines that may help:

TV set made before 1998 was a traditional "analog" set. If you bought a big-screen, projection TV between 1998 and 2004, it may have a built-in digital tuner inside. But chances aren't great. Only a limited percentage of projection TV sets (and generally only those 42 inches in diameter or larger) included digital tuners before 2004.

If you purchased a new TV set since 2004, your chances of having a built-in digital tuner improve dramatically. Starting in 2004, many of the TV sets sold at popular electronics stores feature digital tuners that will work after February 17, 2009. But it's not a sure thing. Even some of the newer TV sets are purely display monitors that lack the internal circuitry needed to pick up digital broadcasts. Usually these sets have been advertised as "HD-ready" or "HDTV monitor" sets. That means they can display digital and high-definition signals, but they need help getting those signals in the first place. You'll still need a special converter or a cable TV connection.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13568
Stuff like this really pisses me off

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2132
Hello LK
This is actually great stuff

There are three Broadcasts today:
1- Analog
2- Digital
3- HD

This will affect local broadcast via conventional Antenna's
Keep in mind conventional antenna's receive both analog and digital
Only Analog that will be phased out in 2/2009
Analog represents less than 15% of today's television broadcast anyway

Great to see yo again boss
King

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14323
ahh, the digital domain...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13903
Chauncey...why does information that will affect many people (TV Owners) piss U off?...everybody has heard of this, but don't understand it, so I posted a fairly thorough simple explanation that affects millions of people....

all posts in "OT" don't have to be about "which car is prettier"...

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2134

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16820
great info.

i have directtv HD so i am okay.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16821
"all posts in "OT" don't have to be about "which car is prettier"..."

sorry. :-(

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12436
Don't feel bad Chad. We were the ones who got the OT section.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14325
that's right, man...it's all good!

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2703

quote:

Chauncey...why does information that will affect many people (TV Owners) piss U off?...everybody has heard of this, but don't understand it, so I posted a fairly thorough simple explanation that affects millions of people....

all posts in "OT" don't have to be about "which car is prettier"...

I believe he meant that he was pissed off that what you posted was actually happening. Not that you actually made this post

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13904
I was not trying to offend anybody...

It seems everytime I post here, people are too sensitive...

BTW...I honestly don't see why my original post would piss somebody off...The GOV will basically pay the end users for the converters...so what's the big deal..if thats what Chauncy was trying to say..

and Chad,,,I don't know who posted about the prettier cars, so it wasn't a dig at U or anybody...

If U noticed I haven't posted a word about the Patriots either because , I find people here very thin skinned...and have tunnel vision...don't see 2 sides of the coin..and like to bash an argue for no reason..

I think my days here are over...

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2142
I think he doesn't want yo to post so he can catch up with your total post numbers

He has 13568 and yo had 13902
Yo may consider it jealousy

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16828
"I think my days here are over..."

LK don't say that man. also whenever you talk about the sox or the pats, we like to try to tear them down. only because they are the best teams in sports. also i thought you like to argue over things like that. if that bothered you, i guess we'll just take it easy. so stick around.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us