Cotton filler in SUB BOX??

Bronze Member
Username: Alpine97

Greenwood, Indiana USA

Post Number: 54
I heard if you fill the inside of the box with cotton or whatever, it makes the SQ go up. I think whoever thought of that was stupid, but, I guess I wouldn't know bc I have never done that. Is it true though, are there any secrets to enhance SQ or make sh!t louder>? Also, I heard if you mount an amp to the box it can draw current from the magnets and cause the amp to over heat. I would also think that would be bad because of the vibes the box would give to the amp couldn't be good for its internals...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5269
Holy hell you need to stop listening to whoever you you that stuff, right now haha. None of that is true.

Ployfill in a sealed box makes the box seem slightly larger than it actually is, that's all.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpine97

Greenwood, Indiana USA

Post Number: 58
Polyfill...that what it was..I never listened to him, I just heard what he said and was asking if it was true...the sad thing is that he works at an audio shop here in nap..lol

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7500
This is true..polyfill can help sq and you can use fill in a ported box as well but you need to buy it in mat form

Gold Member

Post Number: 7501
ported....and glue or staple it onto the walls of the box

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5275
I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. How could it when all it does is artificially affect the box volume. It doesn't change the sub........

Gold Member

Post Number: 7503
well its also said to break up standing waves M.S.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidt487

Texas

Post Number: 74
i can say its true. i put some in my sealed box my type r is in and it made it not as boomy the box is a lil on the small side so... im a believer

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5727
yes polyfill will absorb standing waves and will make a difference, to those who know what to listen for.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16735
that is if you like that kinda sound. i personally don't like it with polyfill.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12728
if u make a proper box there is no real need for polyfill .....

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1610
...unless you need the extra space in a small sealed application. Also, most of us don't possess the software/knowledge of acoustics to build a box that is properly tailored to a vehicle, so polyfill is good for making small adjustments to get the most out of it that you can. Had you built it for your specific car, you might not have to play around with it, but since it will end up having far different characteristics than WinISD or w/e models, polyfill can be handy.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12310
Just my two pennies but some high end home audio speaker boxes come with poly already attached. Why would a designed speaker enclosure have poly in it? Just throwing it out there fellas......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us