The compact disc is 25 years old.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4456
Yes it was 25 years ago that new revolutionary sound format would change the way we listen to music forever.

With Hit CD's like "Chariots of Fire" by (Vangelis).
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9300
I knew formats would change as they always will, just not as quickly. From LP to cassette to cd to digital. Just think what could possibly be next?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1772
­
Do you remember what your first CD was?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9312
"Back to the future" soundtrack. 1985. Listened to on my first stereo, a Sears LXI 100w stereo. I was young and it sounded great to me lol. Loved the movie and had to have it. Back then VCR's were $400 and laser disc was out. That didn't last long lol.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2683
Paul you forgot the 8 Track. What a pile of f!ck those things were. The next format will probably be some sort of micro memory, like the flash cards that digital cameras use. It will come with color packaging just like a cd does now but you will be a able to record remixes and bonus tracks to the "album" on your memory card as they come out with an included password that will surely be hacked by music pirates. The card will be playable on car, portable and home decks -- and computers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9316
Ya I forgot the 8 track, my bad lol. I say sometime in the future movies will be condensed into a package the size of a credit card, if not smaller. Your entire movie collection will fit into a box smaller than a rolodex. Just my opinion. And to throw it out there I have a BNIB 30 year old Mecca 8 track player for the car. I grabbed it out of my grandmother's attic when she passed. My aunt bought it and never installed it. Still have original manuals and hardware. Wonder what it's worth, hmmmmm

Anyone remember Goofy gold? Fun stuff lol. I remember listening to that album in my grandparent's camper on trips to KOA campgrounds as a kid.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11986
wow 25yrs already

i dont own much original CDs in fact probably less than 10 ...i steal *cough....i mean DL music online for most of my collection .....

but i personally think in spit of mp3 being compressed music its here 2 stay 4ever ...look at pionerr 6900 & premier 690 HUs - no need to ever even open its face 2 insert any CDs\discs ...now USB is da shiznit ! .....

Gold Member

Post Number: 9322
Technology is amazing isn't it? Moves faster than light itself lol.....

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1773
­
I'm convinced that the reason old audiophiles steadfastly stick to LPs is that they have to fiddle with stuff and experience some inconvenience. To push a button on a black box and hear music on a silicon chip is just too easy and makes them feel helpless. And that just won't do.

In 1986, my wife got me a player for my birthday. We went out and bought one CD for each of us. My wife got

Upload

Paul Young "The Secret of Association"

And I got

Upload
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1774
­
8 tracks didn't have to be so bad. They used the same track width as appeared on cassette later, plus they ran twice as fast as cassette at 3 3/4 ips. There were some problems, like insuring proper track-head alignment due to the need for the head to move between the tracks. The endless tape loop eventually wore out. (Anybody remember seeing globs of discarded half-inch magnetic tape discarded along the side of the road in the early seventies?)

But at one time, 8 tracks were the only choice for personal music in your car and anyone that had one built in was pretty cool.
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 9330
"I'm convinced that the reason old audiophiles steadfastly stick to LPs is that they have to fiddle with stuff and experience some inconvenience. To push a button on a black box and hear music on a silicon chip is just too easy and makes them feel helpless. And that just won't do."

To me that's just an old dog refusing to learn new tricks. Far be it from me to tell anyone how they should listen to what they like but in todays world you're gonna need to adapt or get left behind. Does reaching for a dusty LP and hearing all the recorded imperfections and scratches make me appreciate the music more? Not for me. Just like home movies. I'd much rather pop in a DVD than break out the old projector and feed the brittle film through it and hope it doesn't snap this time while I watch 90 seconds of memories without sound.

It's hard to imagine a future without digital technology. Then again I remember having to go through school without the internet or cell phones, or even a computer. My 6 year old son has a computer of his own and both he and my 4 year old girl know how to use it. Only in today's world....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us