Mythbusters question

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

Http://www.realmofexcu..., And Shepher... USA

Post Number: 2669
Found this question and answer on a quiz on the Mythbusters website...

True or false?
The vibrations caused by cranking up the bass on a car stereo can cause your lungs to collapse.

The correct answer is true. In August 2004 the medical journal Thorax described the cases of four young men who all suffered a collapsed lung -- three while attending a loud concert, and the fourth while listening to his car stereo, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box. Doctors concluded that loud music could cause the lungs to vibrate at the same frequency of the booming bass, causing a lung to rupture.

Men who are tall, thin and smoke seem to be most susceptible to this condition, so if you meet that description, you may want to turn the bass down a bit in your car stereo -- and keep your distance from the speakers at loud concerts.

>>kinda find it funny that the guy only had a 1000 watt system...lol, and then we have Steve Meade with 20k watts.

and a 1000 watt bass BOX? thats the first time I've ever seen a box rated for watts.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3702
Tell you what it would more likely damage the eardrums first! never mind about passing HIGH SOUND PRESSURES though your body!

Most of the body is made up of water so it needs very HIGH levels to make you feel very unhappy!

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6045
I've seen balloons pop at high sound levels. I don't remember where. Did you know they pump thousands of gallons of water directly under the shuttle when it lifts off? The water absorbs the intense sound pressure generated by the boosters. Without it the platform would shake itself apart. That's extreme sound pressure!!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3703
YES I've known that fact for years

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13881
I did not know that!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3704
I guess the Space Shuttle is the Ultimate SUB BASS IN THE WORLD!

Upload

Plus the TONS of pressure per square inc would flatten you!

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1000
During liftoff, a 300,000-gallon water tank releases its load through a system of nozzles to create a spray which reduces the volume of the space shuttle from about 200 decibels to about 142 decibels. Without it, the noise of takeoff would damage payloads. The vertical tail structure and composite doors are designed to withstand a 163-decibel acoustic environment.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7069
uhh... without the water flooding into the underground tunnels, the launch rockets would create enough heat as to make all the cement explode, due to the air pockets in even this quality cement.
Noise has nothing to do with it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7070
Brad, you made 1k!
Momma will be so proud.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1008
Well I didn't just pull that info out of my @ss... I got it from some NASA sites.

And thanks Nuck but it would be better if you posted in my gold thread, I am getting sh!t for props there

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 868
dang 200 dbs, now that is crazy, id like to see some kinda weapon that uses sound to kill ppl, that would be tha $h!t lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6048
Dang. Who cares why? Anything NASA is coool. I'm sure the water has many functions.

Congrats Brad.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9206
yo Brad...congrats...join the moron club

Gold Member

Post Number: 6063
^^^Haha. Brad was an established moron before he came here, just like you LK. So am I. We all have to be to keep coming back!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us