Turbos?

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 520
was wanting to put a turbo on my car but i don't know what i need to put it all togather and such. they don't make turbos for my car but i was gunna custom do one. what do i need? intercoolers,turbo,blow off valve?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2084
what car is it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
its a 93 ford probe 2.0L

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1149
dont bother. lol. mostly stock engines aren't really meant to drop turbos on. i'll bet you have no clue what $$$ your looking at either, esp. custom built

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
hmmm. well cost really won't be to bad I'd imagine my dad is gunna hook me up with a master kit for my motor for about $400 or so. and as far as the custom sh!t goes I know a guy that owns his own muffler shop. so with that being said, its not what you know, its who you know.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 386
One thing to keep in mind with turbochargers is you have to keep the engine running for a short time (about a minute) before you turn it off because the bearings will overheat and burn the oil trapped inside into abrasive particles. This is because when you shut the engine off the oil supply to the turbo is shut off and it will spin for awhile before it stops. There is alot of heat that comes from the housing and exhaust manifold. Some of the newer more expensive turbos have foil bearings or watercooling that prevents this. I have had a few cars with turbos and I have seen them burn up when you restart your engine.

Just something to keep in mind because it becomes a pain in the azz sometimes, especially when you are in a hurry or way late for something.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 349
I'd look for turbo kit for your car. If not, first your gonna need a turbo, obviously. after that your going to want a turbo timer, boost controller, new spark plug (i recommend NGK V-Groove spark plugs), new heads, new fuel injectors (prolly 440cc), waste gate, BOV, intercooler, fuel management system.. i mean we arent talking cheap here. unlike most people think, turbocharging a car isnt just slappin a turbo on there. not to mention, i wouldnt hope for anything more than 200 or so horsepower with all those upgrades. its really not worth it, unless you want to start tearing the block apart and upgrading the internals. I dont really recommend putting in the cash, time or effort on this car just to make 200 horsepower and run a 15 second quarter mile, which isnt very impressive at all. With that being said, i humored myself and I looked up some turbo kits for you jsut to see what's out there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-PROBE-T3T4-AR50-CUSTOM-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT-NEW_ W0QQitemZ300081778285QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

you won't find a much better deal than that..
but even after that kit ur still gonna need all the stuff i mentioned up top that doesnt come with the kit to even run a decent turbo set up. ur lookin at some big time cash here.. for not much power. and not to judge at all, but most muffler shop owners are not gonna be able to install these parts or properly tune your car. Anyway, hope this helps.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 350
Brad: A turbo timer will easily solve that problem, which is why i recommended he get one if he is serious, and recommend them to anyone running a turbo (even stock). I'm glad you brought that point up though, cause most people don't abide by the one minute idle rule, and have no idea what a turbo timer even does lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
wow that is pretty pricy more than i imagined. they make a 6cyl. motor for probes would it just be cheaper to buy one of those and put it in?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9162
yeah just swap out a crate motor for it. That motor will not be able to handle a turbo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 525
why won't it be able to handel a turbo, i was gunna completley rebuild it before i put a turbo in it

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 473
I can't believe nobody mentioned the most important things like a "Forged rotating assembly" or a complete "studed" engine or turbo gaskets(Fel-pro gaskets are the best). Special turbo/supercharger piston rings are reccammended. You will also need a computer chip that is designed and tuned to the mods you have added. If you skip this step the car will never run correctly. Boost controller, blow off valve, turbo header (could come with trubo depending on the kit you choose), stronger clutch/transmission/axles, etc. plus previously mention parts.

There is lots of $$$$$$ needed to do it right. More than just engine upgrades are necessary.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 474
Also any time you add a power adder, I strongly suggest multiple spark distribution (MSD Ignition) because with that much pressure on rotating assembly, it could be catastrofic if timing is off or there is a miss followed by detination. You don't want that engine to miss and cause double the amount of fuel in one cylinder while the rest are fine and next time around it fires. This is why I suggest MSD because it will decrease the chance of a spark missing and firing next time aroud and having an extra large explosion in one cylinder. This large explosion could bend/break/blow a valve, connecting rod, crank, gaskets, pistons, etc.. I would also reccammend stainless steal valves. Depending on the final compression ratio, you might have to go up on the octane fuel you use.

My guess with that type of car that you probably won't have enough $$$$$$$ for this project and if you are unsure about it, I would reccammend to take it somewhere to have it done right. You could get done with it and start it up and trash the thousands you got in that engine. During initial start up you have to run the engine at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes, instantly after start up and timing is set properly, to properly break in the cam/s and to get the lifters fully filled with oil so no damage can be done. I honestly wouldn't waste the money on that car. If you want, sell it, and take that money plus the money you plan to use to but the turbo kit and upgrades and just buy a Mustang GT and you will be satisfied. If I was you I would get an 03 SVT DOHC 4.6L Supercharged drivetrain w/ T-56 6 speed manual and put it in that little probe. Of course I would convert it to rear wheel drive. It would be similar to the kit that ford makes for the Focus. They make a DOHC 32 valve supercharged 4.6L rear wheel drive conversion kit for the Ford Focus. INSAINE FAST!!!!! Converted focus would kill your probe with turbo and mods, while running on regular pump gas. JMO

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13090
^^^Exactly! Just rebuilding the engine is not enough. Turbocharging demands a great strain on your engine and is not cheap when done right.

Horses cost money and purebred horses are not cheap.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13091
And while we are at it...how come nobody here ever want a friggin' Porsche? Everything comes standard specially on the Turbo :-)

And don't give me that Porsches cost too much or not enough room for the boom either!

With all the modifications that people do to their cars nowadays, it all adds up to a nice driveable Porsche:-)

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 359
older porsche = awesome!!!!!

new porsche = awesome!!!!! lol

I like all porshces', except for the Boxster. they look like a mazda miata that they made just a tad bit fancier.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1175
i think boxsters are too slow. just doesn't do justice for the porsche name...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13094
Agreed, but a slow Porsche is still a Porsche over a very fast Civic!

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10617
berny has the 911 turbo. berny ftw.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3947
Upload J/K Berny. I'm sure you're a cool customer behind the wheel.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13096
^^^In my brazen days when I thought I was immortal! Those danged insurance companies were right.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 474
Supercharger > tubro any day

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9168
lol thats right Berny, as with everything in life you get what you pay for. Porsche is a very well made upscale vehicle:-)

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 363
Berny: do you have any pics of your 911? those things are badass.. always been my favorite model. if you dont have pics, what year and color is it? any performance or other upgrades?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13101
It's an old '93 Turbo. Yellow in color and no upgrades other than what came with the car. I'll be taking it out of storage next month.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1783
What's your daily driver?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13111
My daily driver for winter is a Cayenne. I bought a Honda because of the gas prices. Guess which one I drive most of the time???

I am more practical now:-(

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 4014
Not many of us can afford not to be.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us