Computer pissin me off

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 916
OK when I try and open certain folders I get an error message that looks like this:
Upload
The way it tells me to change it wont work. When it tells me to browse for the folder to add (so this problem wont happen when I select that folder) it gives me the same box. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12459
When was the last time you ran a virus scan?

Gold Member
Username: Leew

XXXX!!WWWW, Yokosuka, ... Holla Back Y...

Post Number: 1310
SYMPTOMS
When you run a program in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:

Data Execution Prevention -- Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: program name
Publisher: program publisher

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses or other threats. Some programs might not run correctly when it is turned on. For an updated version of this program, contact the publisher. What else should I do?

If you click Close Message, the program quits, and Windows Error Reporting gives you the option to send an error report.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Microsoft Windows XP SP2 uses the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature to help prevent damage from viruses and from other security threats.

DEP works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable." If a program tries to run code from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you, whether the code is malicious or not.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To avoid this behavior, contact your program vendor to see if an update is available that enables the program to work correctly with DEP.
Back to the top

WORKAROUND
If your computer is set to apply DEP to all programs and services, the DEP error message will have a Change Settings button. If an update to the program is not available, follow these steps to add an exception for the program from the DEP error message: 1. When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, click Change Settings.
2. Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click Apply.
3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times, and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the program by using System Properties in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.
3. In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Add.
4. In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program.
5. Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK.

Back to the top

STATUS
This behavior is by design.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
If your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, the Change Settings button will not be available from the DEP error message.

You can view the DEP configuration for your computer in System in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.
3. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
4. Note if Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only or Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: is selected.
When your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, you cannot add an exception for a program. This is the behavior that is by design in Windows XP SP2.

If your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, and the DEP error message continues to appear, a program may be installed that extends Windows functionality. This program may be installed so that it causes a DEP problem in an important Windows program or service.

If this behavior is recent and has not occurred before, you may be able to prevent the DEP error message by removing recently installed programs.
Back to the top

REFERENCES
For additional information about the DEP feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
875352 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/) A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12460
There, you go...Jennifer just did the Google search for you :-)

Did you find that on the Microsoft website?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 831
Did your computer stand up just start yelling at you for no reason? Dude no wonder it's pissin you off.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1407
Next time stay away from p orn sites. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1311
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
Ah! I can't read that!

Silver Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 917
I tried what jen said and it wont work either. When I try to add the folders I want to add it gives me this:
Upload
If I take it back to circuit city will they be able to fix it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1312
well Andrew, you got problem with the registry and (or) DLL library!
You need to find a special program to fix the registry and DLL library! Use google for that...just tape it "Fix Dll Library" or "RUNDLL ERORR"
and still There is no guarantee that the program will fix your comp for 100% !!!

you can make copy of all yours files to some hard drive and re-install windows. After that, you have to visit the Microsoft Web site to get all updates!

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
It's no surprise that she's right!

Silver Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 921
i appreciate the help. I'm going to do that when I get home. thanks a lot

Gold Member

Post Number: 1313
It's looks like your comp drive by the AMD Athlon and this the DLL file which one is corrupted: ntdll.dll

try to update this file before you do something else!

Do you remember when it happening? Maybe you installed some software? Or delete something?
There is conflict in the system!

check this out : http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2601
jen > CC

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 184
Andrew I told you the exact same thing a week ago on Jd.

Silver Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 925
yeah I know. i was seein if anyone else had any other ideas. i just told jen thanks b/c she took her time. so as of now. nothing. I downloaded a torrent manager but I CAN'T find where it is saved on the computer and when I go into the control panel to try and delete it it doesn't show up in the "add/remove programs" folder. I'm lost

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1637
EWW, I hate system32 errors.
oh and if anyone on here cant fix it, go to www.techsupportforum.com
they can help with almost anything

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
That is one of the meanest computers in the world.

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 462
can't you just do a system restore point? xp backs up your computer every month or so and you can choose when it wasn't giving you problems it keeps everything that you have installed, basically just going back to the restore piont.

to access restore points go to start/run/ and type msconfig right above ok there should be a button that says launch system restore. once you click it a screen pops up that says restore my computer to an earlier time,click next and there will be a calander aprox 3months back or more select the date that your computer was runnin fine then let it work its magic. then walla!

best torrent program=bitlord

torrent look up sites:
www.phazeddl.com (mostly rapidshare files)
www.torrentreactor.net (actual torrents)

Silver Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 927
d@mn. i was comin here to say I did a system restore but you already posted it kyle but yeah that worked. thanks for all the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us