Archive through July 06, 2004

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 106
Do you ever find stuff you either didn't know you had or forgot you had? That's been the case this past week:

For instance, there's a Pink Floyd DSOTM commentary going on another thread that reminded me that I have that on SACD. I listened to it and found that I like the surround mix quite a bit. I think I prefer it to the stereo mix. I also did the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" thing where you play DSOTM as the soundtrack to "Wizard of Oz". Interesting but not earth shattering.

Then, tonight while researching some SACD reviews, I came across a review of Heart's "Alive in Seattle" SACD. I knew this was in my collection but didn't realize it was SACD. Naturally, I tossed it into the player. Wow! As one who used to "stalk" Heart on tour, I'm very familiar with the ambience of their concerts and this SACD captures it perfectly. I can't tell you if this is a "well recorded" mix but it damn sure sends me back to the many coliseums and arenas in which I saw Heart. Recommended.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 107
p.s. I believe the review said Heart "Alive in Seattle" is also on DVD-DTS for those without SACD/universal players.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 299
Ghia

Stop it and get back to your studies! (grin)

Unfortunately we've thrown out or sold anything we didn't know we had, but the favourable comments like yours and others beginning to appear here with more regularity gives me confidence with the WAF as we save for our universal player. I had promised a TV upgrade first but she relented - she loves good sound also.

So the SACD without delay settings was okay with your setup?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 108
MR

My test is this a.m. - we'll see if I had too many "distractions". ;-)

This "Alive in Seattle" SACD is really very good! I bought it a year or so ago (not for the SACD since I didn't have a player but just because it was Heart) and, honestly, had not listened to it completely (2 discs) a single time - until last night. For the past few years, I haven't listened to much Heart because I thought I had "outgrown" them....but, the SACD was such a revelation. It is mixed with the music in the front 3 channels (I didn't realize my sub was off so don't know how active it is - will listen to that tonight....maybe) and the Paramount Theater/audience ambience in the rear channels. As I listened to it, my impression was that it has a good mix and seems to be "well recorded".

I have set delay settings based on the distance settings available in my receiver setup and using a tape measure to measure the distance from my listening position to all speakers. I believe I duplicated the settings in the DVD-2200. To me, it sounds really good. In a few weeks (after I get through the testing cycle and my vacation), I will do some more serious calibration using setup discs and an SPL meter.

You are wise to do the sound upgrade first. I think you and your wife will agree once you have it in place. I'm still using my 32" Sony Wega TV and it is fine for me. There hasn't been much time to watch DVD's yet (music has always been my priority) but I've tested it out with excerpts from Matrix , Titanic and Wizard of Oz - and, the sound is bigger than the picture but it works for me.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 109
BTW, as I listen to more hi-rez music, I think my preference between multichannel & stereo is proving to be more "recording-specific" over other factors. While the multichannel/stereo factor may change from recording to recording, the one thing that stays constant is the warmth and richness that comes from the hi-rez recordings. I've yet to find a disappointment in that regard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Ghia

Thanks so much. Yes 'recording specific' is the key to all formats. From what you and others are saying, I'm realling looking forward to the universal player. I seem to be going through one of those 'progressive incoming expense' modes at present and the player seems to be at the end of a long dark tunnel. Oh well, we've all been there!

"Heart" - now that is a blast from the past.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 113
Today's Discovery:

Stopped by the music store on the way home and picked up 5 DVD-A and/or DTS discs. Three of the titles were only $10 each so I bought some titles I otherwise might not have gotten.

Got home and found myself disappointed in 4 of the 5....hmmmm...not sure if it is the music selection I made or the mood I'm in....I won't give negative feedback on any of them until I listen to them again.

After the aforementioned disappointments, I put in the Heart SACD. Cranked it up. Whoo-hoo!! Rock on!

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Ghia

I don't know if you're into Van Morrison, if you're not and don't mind him I recommend you listen to "What's Wrong With This Picture." If you are a fan, and like jazz or jazz blues then just buy it - you'll be knocked out by this Blue Note release.

I don't know if it's available on the Hi Res formats, but even for CD, it's a truly excellent recording. Morrison, like good wine, is aging superbly and the musos are top notch.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 109
I think the Stones and Dylan remasters are excellent. They can be had for $13.99-16.99. I am really fone of "Nashville Skyline" by Dylan and "Aftermath" by the Stones. If you don't own much of the Stones catalog already "Let it Bleed" or "Hot Rocks" might be a better choice.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 114
MR,

I have several Van Morrison recordings....my favorite is Moondance. Will put your suggestion on my (ever growing) list. I'm pretty sure I've heard some tracks from your suggestion but I'm having a little trouble with the recall, right now. Thanks!

Ben,

"Nashville Skyline" is one that has been on my "need to get" list for a long time. When I do get it, I believe SACD is the way to go. I've been considering "Let it Bleed" on SACD since it is one of my faves.

A question for you guys... This occurred to me last night while listening but I didn't have time, er, inclination to investigate it (will do so if answer is unknown). Can the audio from DVD's be ripped to computer? I usually rip all my cd's to computer so I'll have them available for iPod. It occurred to me that if the DVD's cannot be ripped - then for albums I really like and want to have some portability - it would be necessary to buy on redbook cd, too? In this case, it would seem that hybrid SACD's would have a little of an edge over DVD-A.

It was interesting (to me anyway) that only 1 of 5 of the DVD-A's captivated me last night - compared to previous listening when SACD releases impressed me right off the bat. As previously mentioned, maybe my music selection was poor or maybe I wasn't in a mood....Will give those DVD-A's another listen to see if impressions change. The one DVD-A I bought that did please was the Buena Vista Social Club. Excellent!

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Ghia

There's something about cd and dvd ripping going on in this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16456.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
Ghia or someone

I keeping reading in these threads about Redbook CD's. I haven't heard the term in Aus. Could you tell me the difference from an ordinary CD or what they are? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 204
MR

"Redbook" is the standard for writing audio to a CD. All commercially sold CD is written in this format. A redbook CD can be played on every CD player. I think people use the term interchangably with ordinary CD to differentiate it from HDCD, SACD, and other "non-ordinary" CD formats.

Excuse me while I have my own Van Morrison moment: If anyone powerful at Time-Warner is reading this, please, please, please release a hi-res, multi-channel recording of "Astral Weeks." The album is meant for h-r m-c.

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
Two Cents

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll be able to sleep nights now (grin).

"Astral Weeks" that's one of his most outstanding recordings. I agree 2C, I'll want that one on hi-res too - just as soon as we get our universal player.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 106
2c,

I only recently heard "Astral Weeks" at a friends house and thought is was VERY good. I agree, it would be fabulous to hear in hi-rez.

My son is home from college and working this summer at a local Time Warner. Somehow I don't think that he's in a powerful enough position :-)

We can always keep our fingers crossed that someone in TW with the decision making capability has the same idea.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 118
Thanks, MR! I posted my question about DVD-A ripping on that thread....hopefully, its the appropriate place to do so.

Update on the DVD-A disappointments I mentioned earlier. One of the recordings I got for $10 was Paul McCartney and Wings "Band on the Run". I'm not crazy about some of the multichannel effects - but, I do prefer the openness of the multichannel on this recording to the stereo mix. It seems to be a clean mix but I don't have anything to reference it to....this is my first time having this particular recording in any format. Upon second listen, I'm no longer disappointed.

Another disappointment that I re-evaluated is kd lang's "invincible summer". I'm still disappointed. The best thing about it is the Albert Camus quote in the liner: " in the depths of winter, I finally learned there lay an invincible summer..." The multichannel effect is very, very subtle....most of the mix is in the front 3 speakers. The songs are a disappointment too. There are 4-5 songs I really like....but overall, I'd like to have my $17 back on this one. If I can figure out a way to rip the songs I do like to CD, I think I'll sell this DVD-A back to the store where I bought it (they sell used DVD-A's too).

Another $10 DVD-A I bought was Barenboim's Beethoven Sym 4 & 5. I just don't like this recording - even after a second listen. This version of the 5th isn't as good as the version on Naxos done by Edlinger and Zagreb Philharmonic.

As I write, I'm re-evaluating Glen Phillip's "Abulum" - also a $10 DVD-A.....it seems to be faring better with me on this listen.

My other purchase Buena Vista Social Club is top-notch in the recording and the music! A definite recommendation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Ghia

I have the "Buena Vista Social Club" on DVD-V. It is a documentry following Ry Cooder and his son as they travel through Cuba to re-discover the country's once great musicians who had disappeared almost into oblivion. As he locates one, it leads to another, and so on. It's enough to make you cry. I can't recall the names right now, but one of the old singers was found to be shining shoes for a living - and the pattern is similar for the others.

They all once had a dream - to play Carnegie Hall in New York. To see them realise it, thanks to Cooder was something else. These wonderful old musos are so into the music it's a special experience. And they also got to see and perform around the world. You can image their feeling.

Bronze Member
Username: Docdat

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 77
My Rantz,

If you're still considering the DVD-2200/2900, check out the update to this thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/17140.html

Maybe someone with connections to Denon (Lorenzo?) could provide some answers to what this is about? If it is a worldwide issue, maybe you should wait a bit or make sure somehow, that you get a player with the modification done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Adam,

Thanks, yes I have been following. Our purchase is still a little down the track (recent expenses), so I'll be checking then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
My Rantz, Sem, (and other Van Morrison fans),

For more insight into Astral Weeks, here's an article by Lester Bangs: http://www.maths.dundee.ac.uk/~sanderso/music/astralrev.html

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 135
MR,

I'm not sure if the video is on the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A I have. I noticed when I had it running on the computer (trying to figure out how to rip audio tracks from it) there seemed to be some sort of video tracks on it. This is worth investigating based on your telling of their story. That is inspiring! I'm glad some of those musicians got to realize their dreams but I'm surprised Castro let them out of Cuba.

This reminds me of a recent feature on an organization called Buskaid which is a trust that funds a music school for youth in South Africa. Like the elderly Cubans, the students coming out of this school have gotten a rare opportunity to see and perform around the world. From what I heard of their playing (a string ensemble) in the report, they are quite talented. They are taught by a viola player, Rosemary Nalden, who left a cushy life in London to relocate to Soweto.

2c,

Thanks for the link to the Leter Bangs article. I was able to score a few points with my BF after mentioning it. See, a couple of months ago, we were discussing books and he made a recommendation on a book about Lester Bangs. Naively, I asked "who is Lester Bangs?" - which was greeted with complete silence and a sharp pang of visible disappointment on my BF's face. At least now I can say I've read something written by Lester Bangs. Maybe one day I'll read the book the BF recommended.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
I think Astral Weeks is a great album, but I also know that Lester could also rave about some iffy albums (like Nico's "The Marble Index"). Nevertheless, Lester was a great read and a critic who wasn't afraid to tell you what he thought. I wish there were more like him.

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Ghia,

I don't think the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A would also include the film My Rantz recommended. The film is a full length documentary by Wim Wenders (director also of "Wings of Desire" and "Paris, Texas"). I agree with M.R.--the movie is a joy to watch from start to finish.

Re: Lester Bangs--Glad to have helped you score points with your beau. Might I suggest dropping a reference to Cream magazine next time for bonus points.

Ben,

Lester was no doubt eccentric, but you gotta admire his singularity. He wrote like there was no tomorrow. I haven't heard "The Marble Index," but once in while I like to play "Chelsea Girl." I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I listen to Nico. I guess that's what I like about her. (Just had a funny thought of her as a contestant on American Idol.) There's supposed to be a good, recently made documentary about her.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
2c,

Thanks for the Astral Weeks link. Very interesting reading. I'll look for more of Lester Bangs' writings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
$.02...I like Chelsea Girl and the work she did with VU. Marble Index is completely different...Jandek comes to mind, but that isn't really a good comparison.

There are two books out there with his writings. Do an Amazon search under Lester Bangs. "I have Psycotic reactions...." It is a good read.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 137
2c,

Thanks for the info on the Buena Vista Social Club DVD. Since both you and MR loved it, I'll have to seek it out as I trust the recommendations of you both.

Thanks for the Cream magazine suggestion....that's actually a little bit of pop culture I'm familiar with. :-)

Well, I'm off to the beach for the next 10 days! Cheers!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 162
2c,

I picked up Jolie Holland's "Escondida" cd today. Excellent! In a past post, I mentioned I heard one of the songs briefly on the radio and she reminded me of Erin Mckeown, vocally. After listening to the full cd (in a better listening environment than first time I heard her) I can say with certainty that Holland and McKeown are cut from the same cloth. Since you like Holland, I suggest McKeown's "Grand". I think you'll like it.

Also, picked up Beck's "Sea Change" DVD-A. Haven't listened to it yet. Will post impressions later.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Ghia,

I'm glad you liked "Escondida." I'll have to check out Erin McKeown's "Grand" or better yet go see her in person if she ever comes to the Bay Area. As I may have mentioned, I first heard Jolie Holland at a live show. There's nothing like live music, no matter how great one's audio equipment is. (I'd guess you'd agree that technology cannot replace real experience.) I just spent a weekend in SF, where I heard the SFO perform Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony (which was apt considering it was a day after my b-day). It sent chills down my spine, made my palms sweat, and brought tears to my eyes. I've never experienced that listening to the recording.

All the best.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 559
ghia i just recently picked up becks sea change dvd-a.

i am completly in love with that disk.

the music is incredable and very well recorded.

some might find the surround effects to much but
i enjoy it.

question for anyone who has listened to the pink
floyd (dsotm) sacd.

i find this recording to be flat/not very bright
or dynamic, just plain not very well recorded
compared to other dvd-a's or sacd's. the surround
effects are excelent but i don't find it very
"sparkly or shimmering" .

is it just me?

i know it's an old recording but i thought they
would spruce it up.

i would really appreciate seriuos feedback on this.
as i wonder if it's just my system,but everything
else sounds really good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Kegger,

Have tried listening to it in an altered state?

All kidding aside, the 30th anniversary DSOTM sacd is one of the best surround sound rock recordings I've heard. I find the sound remarkable for a 30-year old recording and the clocks that open "Time" sound "sparkly and shimmering" to me. The sacd sounds comparable to the original vinyl edition, but with the added benefit of the 5.1 mix. Strangely Alan Parsons didn't do the surround mix.

There are early cd versions of DSOTM that sound horrible because the original master tapes weren't used. I'm fairly certain the original masters were used for the sacd version. There's someone on this board (Sem maybe) who has multiple versions of DSOTM and could probably say a lot more about the recording.

The only multi-ch rock recordings that I've heard that are better are Beck's "Sea Change" and Flaming Lips' YBTPR (both mixed by the same guy who mixed "Two Against Nature," which I haven't heard yet).

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 569
well i was a little tired last night.
i'll have to check it again tonight.

and i did compare it to becks sea change which
is an outstanding recording.that i had just listened to.

but i was unimpressed!
the surround and mix was excelent.

but i found myself wanting to increase the volume
and turn up the treble to make it sound like what
i was use to hearing."which of course i'm not going to do"

also the steely dan sacd gaucho sounded much better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
Kegger

I have to agree with Two Cents. It is an old recording and Guthrie did use the original masters. I think he did well with the surrounds and yet keep things close to the original. Here is a review I had previously posted elsewhere:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=19939611

Maybe we all hear things differently or we have different expectations, but DSOTM to me is superb, though I do like it loud.

BTW, Neill Young's "Greendale" is my favourite hi res disc at present. Heavy, relaxing, haunting with great use of distortion and feedback. Like rock was and should be!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 582
never mind it was just me.

i was a little tired last night and forgot/didn't
notice i was on 2 channel input with dtsneo6 on.
uuuhhhhhh yyyyaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!! that didn't work!

anyways dsotm sounds great/excelent, still not as
good as the beck dvd-a but then again that is an
extemely well recorded disk.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 164
Kegger,

I'll join the DSOTM bandwagen because I think it is excellent too. Like 2c, the clocks jump right out and are very bright to me. Right now, it is my favorite surround mix of the discs I have.

I still haven't listened to Sea Change yet. Before I went on vacation, I had disconnected the rear speakers so my BF could run the speaker wires under the house (crawling around under the house is something I cannot bring myself to do so the BF occasionally shows some chivalry and does stuff like that for me) and up through the bookcases in the back so the wires would be hidden. I've been too lazy to strip them and put banana plugs back on to reconnect the speakers. Maybe I'll get this done one day this week.

2c,

Glad to hear you had such a terrific experience at the SFO performance! One of these days I'm going to go to a symphonic performance. Happy belated b-day! Hope it was a good one!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 594
Ghia i am very interested in your oppinions of the
sea change disk.

when you get a chance to listen i'd love to hear
your report.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 152
Two Cents:
We've dicussed the Mahler 2 before, so you know my feelings on the subject. Michael Tilson Thomas conducting? What about the hall, whatever it's called? On trips out West I've driven by it but didn't have time to see it. Who were the soloists? Other impressions about the performance? Can you tell I'm green with envy? Belated birthday greetings. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
John S.

MTT conducted, the soloists were Isabel Bayrakdarian (soprano) and Lorraine Hunt Lieberson (mezzo). IB was good, but LHL's performance was one to remember. It's hard to explain, but she has a big voice that also sounds vulnerable, which is perfect for this work. The violins were split to the left and right with the cellos on the (audience's left). I counted 11 French horns, not including the horns off stage. There was a massive percussion section and an organ that shook the hall. It was the most visceral classical music concert I've ever attended, felt with the heart, mind, and body. I think it was due to the combination of the size/force of the orchestra and chorus and the music itself. The orchestra played brilliantly and passionately. At times, the fear and anxiety imbued in the music seemed palpable (hence the sweaty palms). MTT also conducted with passion. A couple times he came close to throwing himself off the podium. The only critical thing I have to say is that MTT chose some extreme tempos for some passages. When the recording comes out you can hear for yourself. I'm looking forward toward the recording, realizing it won't capture the power of the live performance, even on SACD. FYI, next in the MTT/SFSO Mahler cycle is the 9th this fall. If you find yourself near SF, it's definitely worth going.

The concerts are at Davies Hall. The acoustics are good, not as good as Orchestra Hall in Detroit, but much better than Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA (the only two halls I'm familiar enough to compare it too).

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 168
Kegger,

Listened to the Beck "Sea Change". My initial impression was "Wow!".......at least until it crashed. The first track plays flawlessly. The second track starts playing and a couple of minutes into it, I was thinking 2C and Kegger were right, this is incredible. But then at the 5:25 mark, it stopped abruptly. I checked the player and you could hear the disk spinning but, it couldn't be stopped nor could the door be opened. I had to power it off.

After powering it back on, I skipped the first track and started the second one. It got past the 5:25 mark but crashed again a minute or two later. This time I was able to stop it. When I started playing again, I tried to skip to track 3 and it would get to that point but would not play. I could not advance it past track 3. Plus, it then froze again and I had to power the Denon down again.

I'm currently trying it again. Got through track 1 ok and so far its playing track 2 without error.

When it plays, it is simply outstanding!!

OK....it got through track2 but is now stuck trying to go to track 3....and the display just went to "no play". I think it is time for a trip to the store to exchange it.

Kegger, do you know of any firmware updates for the Denon 2200?

I have to say from what I have been able to hear this is an outstanding recording/mix! I have the stereo HDCD version which "used to be" great but, the multichannel is definitely superior. My Rantz, if you don't have it yet, it is highly recommended by 2C, Kegger, and me!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 633
GHIA I AM SORRY TO HEAR YOUR PROBLEM WITH THAT
DISK BUT NO I HAVE NO FIRMWARE TO REPORT.

dam caps button!

at this moment i don't really have a need for a
firmware upgrade.

there is no store bought disk my player has an
issue with. infact my old scratchy messed up cd's
that have problems on other players work just
fine on this player!

I would exchange it for another one!
you probably just have a bad disk. any other disk
problems?

the only issue i have is burnt dvd's.

and i am so glad you find that disk as amazing as i do!

freeeeeeking incredable.

now you can probably see what i meant by the pink
floyd not sounding so sparkly/shimmering or whatever
you want to use.

don't get me wrong after a relisten the dsotm disk
is excelent it's just that beck is unbelievable.

i'm sure you will but do yourself a favor and get
that disk replaced as soon as possable and start
enjoying it.i can't say anymore about it.

to me it's just insane that disk is so clear and
the music is just as good. aawwwwsssooommmee!!!!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 634
ghia.

i just thought of something.

have your tv on so you can see the menu.
if you put that beck disk in and press enter on
surround it brings up the song list. from there
you pick what song you want to start from. if you
start from say 4 or maybe 5 you might be able to
get past the bad section and at least listen to
some more of the disk until you replace it.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 170
Kegger,

No, I did not have the TV on. I'll try that when I get back in town. I did go by the store to replace it and they don't have it back in stock. It's on order and should be in this week so I'll go back and exchange it then. This is the first time I've had any problems playing discs through the Denon.

DSOTM had been my favorite surround disc until I heard Sea Change. The music is so atmospheric and is perfect for multichannel. And the mix is definitely the best I've heard.

Aimee Mann's "lost in space" would have been a good candidate for surround sound. It's pretty atmospheric and has a lot of effects going on that would probably be brought out in a surround mix. Alas, it is only a stereo SACD. But, it still sounds great! If you like Beck, you might like this disc, too.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 642
I know! becks sea change to me would not be the same
in 2 channel. it was clearly meant for multi.
it's also so incredably recorded that i now feel
cheated when listening to others sometimes.

and i had meant to mention aimee mann to you awhile back.

I was playing some of my older cd's through the
speakers i was building and wanted some different
types of music including female voices to get the
tweeter just right. and i stuck in my til tuesday
disk, i'm not even sure why but i looked at the
cd insert and hey low and behold aimee mann lead
singer.

i heard you mention her several times without even
realizing she sang on one of my disks.

i truly do love her voice and i have to admit my
liking her voice is partly to do with how hot she
sounds "sorry for that" but i find her voice so
passionate.(i know another m.s.p. i admit it)

but hey i'm just being truthful and telling it how
i feal. "can you forgive me" but that voices carry
song, every time i hear it i picture the video.
i would deinatly like to check out more of her
work. but lately i've been trying to fill out the
surround disk collection.

if you like steely dan i just picked up 2 against nature.
on dvd-a and it is very well recorded also. i think
it was either rantz or 2c that suggested it. and
it's done by the same guy that did becks sea change.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 171
Kegger,

No need to apologize for feeling an attraction. I suppose if I were a guy I'd be attracted to her too. But, for me, the attraction is to the voice (much better now than the 'til Tuesday days), the music and the lyrics - particularly for her solo work. I don't listen to much of the 'til Tuesday work, except for the last TT album, "Everything's Different Now". And, that title pretty much is a "label" for how she has evolved. Her work now is very different from the TT days.

I tried using the video menu to navigate the Beck DVD-A and found that I could move past song 3 on the menu but it still won't play anything beyond the first two songs. Hopefully, Manifest will get it back in stock this week as I'm anxious to hear it.

In the meantime, I picked up an SACD of Benjamin Zander conducting Mahler's 5th Symphony. It is excellent! The liner notes is one of the best explanations of a work that I've seen in my small classical library. Additionally, this SACD has a second disk with Zander explaining the movements of the symphony. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it looks like it could be very helpful to a novice such as myself.

Mahler rocks! Hehehe...really, the 5th symphony is astounding to me. There is so much going on. This is not one that would put you to sleep - despite its length. And there are passages that will give the subwoofer a workout.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 647
ghia do you know of or there any multichannel
aimee mann recordings?

that's unfortunate about the beck.

and the classical stuff if you go over to "your
thread"
plunging into multi channel you can see what i
picked up yesterday.

i love that everyone is posting there experiences
with the music they enjoy.

you can just go through these posts and pick out
all kinds of music.

good solid review of those disks when i get a chance
or the inclination to buy more i will look at those.

i find it very interesting that it seems yourself
and people like myself once you get a better sounding
system your whole outlook on what music sounds good
to you can change.

i think sometimes it's actually not that we like
the music so much but what it makes our systems
sound like. "is that possable ?"

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 172
Kegger,

You're right. I've been introduced to a lot of new music by the folks in this forum. I try to keep a list of recommendations and pick them up as my budget allows. My budget needs to be bigger!

I saw your list of purchases. Have you been able to listen to much beyond the 1812?

It seems that upgrading an audio system does make one more adventureous/curious to listen to music they might not have considered before, possibly, in part to see what it is capable of. Of course adding classical music to your repertoire just means you are getting old. lol! Wonder if JohnA will see this? ;-)

Seriously though, I have found myself immersed in classical music lately. At home, I listen to Mahler, Beethoven, Haydn, Chopin. In the car, I've been listening to a local classical station (instead of my beloved WNCW). There is a growing desire to learn more about this genre. So far, I think Mahler and Beethoven are my favorites.

Yesterday, I also bought a couple of redbook CD's, too. Bernstein conducting Mahler's 4th Symphony and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performing Haydn Symphonies 99-104. The cool thing about these recordings is they were performed in the early '60's And, they sound great!

I just placed an order for 3 more SACD's of Mahler symphonies, 1, 4, and 6. These were recommended by 2C and are Michael Thomas Tilson conducting the SF Symphony. I ordered them directly from the SFS website as their prices are lower than those in my local Borders & Amazon (which is the only place in town that has a large classical selection.)

And, as if that weren't enough, I'm considering planning a vacation with the primary intent of attending a MTT/SFS performance of a Mahler symphony. It looks like 2 symphonies will be performed in their upcoming season. One of them, however, falls into the week I'd planned to go to Wrightsville Beach.....decisions.

Aimee Mann has two SACD's but both are only in stereo. Bachelor No2 is probably more accessible , musically but "Lost in Space" is my favorite. It's the one I think would work well as multichannel but I doubt that will ever happen.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 650
good stuff there ghia.

yes i've been trying to keep more of an open mind
lately and realy enjoying all these discussions.

today i plan on just relaxing on my couch and listening
to some tunes!

i have so much new music to listen to it's great.
and i will post some impessions when i get them.

it sounds like your in the same boat as i am there
is too much out there i want. "music wise"

i hope it's not that were just getting old and it's
more the systems we now have.

because it sounds like you recently have your
system sounding much better. and myself withen the past
year have bought 2 new amps a new reciever and a
new preamp not mention either rebuilt or built
6 pairs of speakers. and am very very happy with
the performance i am getting.i am almost in audio
nirvana! "i don't think your ever quite there"

so i'm going to look at it that the system has
changed not me! lol

glad to see you are out there adding more music to the collection.

and i would like to check out the newer Aimee Mann
stuff when i get a chance.

off the subject a little hear. have you listend to
much dianna krall i picked up the dvd-a the look
of love.and i hate to describe it like this but it
seems rather boring not much going on. is her stuff
usually like this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
Ghia, Kegger

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definately keep an eye out for Beck's "sea Change" Ghia, hope your replacement disc solves the problem.

Kegger, Diana Krall is laid back and may be an acquired taste for some. For the right mood, I think she's excellent. I have ordered The Dooby Brother's "The Captain And Me" and bought a SACD of Nora Jones just to hear how her style comes across in that format. Sound was good but prefer Diana Krall.

I know I've said this before (probably a few times) but I absolutely recommend Neill Young's "Greendale" DVD-A. It's an excellent surround recording and it simply rocks (good bass too Kegger!) - so far it's my favourite hi-res surround recording.

I see you guys (meaning girls too) are getting into the classics. I don't dislike the genre but I wonder how often I'd listen. Guess I should try one or two and see what happens.

Enjoy the music!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 173
Kegger,

I've been listening to music all morning. Mahler's 4th and 5th and Haydn's 101, 102, and 104. Right now, I've got the new Wilco cd " A Ghost is Born"....this is another one that would probably sound good in multichannel....I just have it on redbook.

It's too hot and humid to go outside so I'm just hanging out in my listening chair enjoying the music....and wishing I had some ice cream to eat...but, that would require going out into the heat to pick some up. Hopefully, it will cool down by this evening when the BF and I are going to see the local symphony do a "pops" concert in the park and watch the fireworks.

Did you get the tube amp you had bid on? I'm trying to suppress my curiosity about them because I don't need to be spending any more money on equipment. Can a tube amp be paired with say, a NAD c350, integrated amp?

Even though many have recommended Diana Krall - particularly, Live in Paris, I don't have any of her recordings.

For your viewing pleasure, may I present Miss Aimee Mann...you can see she no longer has that spiky '80's hairdo. lol!

Upload

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 652
so rantz you prefer krall over jones aye! very
interesting.

yah that doobie disk is excelent i have it.

i also have the greendale dvd-a but the darn thing won't
play on the pioneer , which is currently setup in
the multi room.

also rantz
"I see you guys (meaning girls too) are getting into the classics. I don't dislike the genre but I wonder how often I'd listen. Guess I should try one or two and see what happens."

i feel the same way but i wanted some to have it.

and yes you should definatly get Beck's "sea Change"
and tell us what you think.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 653
the integrated amp question would depend on whether
you have preamp inputs or not .most don't

but sometimes there is alittle set of horseshoe
type connecters on the back of the unit that can
be removed so you can use the amp as a seperate
unit.

the preamp!
i just checked it's got 7 hours left and still holding.

dam i liked that spiked doo.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 174
MR,

I'll have to pick up that Greendale disc. I bought it on redbook when it originally came out but haven't listened to it much lately.

One of the added benefits of the surround Mahler disc I listened to this morning is watching the new cat listen to it. He's not used to loud music I guess so he will only listen from the adjoining room. The funniest part is watching one of his ears turn as he hears the music from the various
channels.

Yes, I hope the replacement Beck fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I guess I could try the SACD version. Too bad, not all discs are like Sea Change...it is available in redbook/HDCD, DVD-A and SACD.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 156
Two Cents:
Thanks for your enlightening and generous review of the Mahler 2 in SF., one that i'm sure you'll never forget. Nor will I, especially after I get my hands on the new recording.

Your point about the mezzo hit home with me, as one of the great things about the Solti/Chicago is the lower female voice (listed as "Contralto, Alt" on the CD, and as "Alto" in my score). Mira Zakai's voice has that almost husky German frau with pathos quality, that as you say is perfect.

As I read your post the strings were, left to right, first violins, cellos, violas and second violins. Seems strange. So where were the double basses? I've seen it done, but I have never understood why anybody would split the first and second violins, and it seems a very strange place for the cellos.

I take your "extreme tempos" comment to mean MTT was too fast for you at times? You know I'm not a fan of sluggish performances of this work, but there's such a thing as too fast. All the more reason to hear the recording--do you know when it will be out?

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Ghia

Sounds like the cat might become a Mahler fan - I might have to try it - cats seem to know don't they? The Greendale multi recording is just great, though it is hard to recommend music to others. I guess having the redbook version, you've heard it, but, imo, the DVD-A surround version to me has a surreal feeling about it and it gets better with each listen. It's a bit like listening to the great rock of the the 70's with the accoutrements but without them, if you get my drift. Uh oh! - getting the driftin' blues!

Diana Krall is easy laid back jazz - and she seems to do it without trying.

BTW.We got a great DVD-V of Harry Connick Jnr and his Big Band in New York. What an amazing entertainer and band. An hour of extreme pleasure!

Kegger

Yes, I like Krall over Jones. Nora has a couple of good tunes under her belt and has a wonderful voice. If she sang more jazz and blues she get my vote. But Krall cruises - you just gotta be in the mood.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 157
Ghia:
As far as I'm concerned, you can put up some more nice "wallpaper" on these threads from time to time. Did you take that picture?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1619
Nice thread. Yes, I just you found you all here, Ghia. Careful you don't OD on Mahler, there is no easy de-tox, I believe, and people have even been known to move on to Wagner....

I have the SFSO doing Mahler 2 on CD, conducted by Herbert Blomstedt. It is terrific. I went to a Bach concert in Davies Hall once, not long after it was refurbished. We had cheap seats high up, near the back and I most vividly recall hearing the air conditioning. Great Hall though. Get seats near the front.

No question Mahler Symphonies are an antidote to thinking (I forget Kegger's exact words) classical is slow, quite, laid-back.

2c, yes, I agree with JOHN S, that concert review is a pleasure to read. That's just how it is. BTW I personally like this trick of putting the first and second violins on opposing sides of the stage. It came back in about 25 years ago when "Early Music" bands (who went and read up how things were REALLY performed at the time) reached out into classical, Beethoven etc. Often the two sets of violins answer each other in the score, and in performance, and in stereo (and am sure surround) it is great to hear them separated in that way; you can hear the individual parts better, and you never get that great mush of strings, though some people (old timers?) prefer that, I know. I did not know the SFSO seprate the violins, and conservatives will be shocked it is in Mahler. I am sure you would never catch the Berlin Philharmonic doing that, though anything is possible now they have Simon Rattle as conductor. How things change.

"Classical" music performance is changing all the time. You only have to listen to some of the historic recordings. It is getting better, in my opinion. Those pompous old guys like von Karajan, Beecham, Furtwangler etc. laid too much of themselves on the composer's intentions, in my opinion, and it was a real turn-off. Now we have great sound quality, and tearaways like Tilson Thomas and Rattle are in positions to actually do things, even mainstream classical (Brahms etc.) can be pretty electrifyng stuff.

Don't forget "chamber" music. Anyone here heard Brahms Clarinet Quintet? Just beautiful, every single note.

Nice photo, Ghia. Don't care for the boots much. I will see if I can find something from the "other side".

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 175
JohnS,

No, I didn't take that pic. Pulled it down from the AM message board. After reading your post, my thought was "cool, but let's get equal time.." then saw that JohnA mentioned the "other side". Wonder what he'll find....Gustav Mahler modeling the swimsuits of his time? lol!

JohnA
2C's review was very inspiring! I don't know if I'll have the same visceral experience but the possibility is reason enough to travel across the country. My local symphony doesn't have any Mahler on tap plus, I've heard that the SFSO is considered to be one of the best in regards to Mahler performances.

I find that I like the "historic" recordings. The Haydn symphonies I listened to yesterday were recorded in 1960 with Beecham conducting. The Bernstein Mahler recordings I have are old school too.

Is Simon Rattle a "young turk"? I've seen a DVD-A of Rattle leading Mahler's 10th. Has anyone heard this?

MR,
The cat may be a Mahler fan. I noticed he was only around when Mahler was playing. The other cats are definitely AM fans, though.

Krall over Jones? Hmm....I like Norah Jones a lot. I only have one Krall song on a compilation...believe she is doing "frim fram sauce"...her voice seems old school. Which I like. But, have heard some negative things about her. But, hey, if you like her that might be reason enough to give her a spin. Just gotta get some of these other items on the wishlist first. ;-)

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 158
Well....at least she's not wearing alligator skin cowboy boots.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1624
Ghia,

Rattle definitely WAS a "young turk". He must be in his 50s, by now, so probably counts as "grand old man". But he richly deserves his success imho.

Give me a while to find a pic. I have some of my own, but they are slide transparencies, which I am unable to scan. As I think we have discussed, Gus M. never wore swimsuits, drank beer, or went to the bathroom. He only allowed himself to be photographed whilst looking extremely serious, contemplating his own great genius, posterity etc.

Yes, I think SFSO are great for many things. Davies Hall is good partly because it isn't too big, 2c must have been blown out of his seat. 10 is the only Mahler Symphony I do not have in any form, and I don't think I have ever heard it, so that Rattle DVD-A is a must. Thanks. I will look out for it.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 664
GHIA you jinxed me !

"Did you get the tube amp you had bid on?"

right after you asked me someone threw a bid on it.

i ended up paying $37 more than the last guy had
to for his from the same auctioneer.

anyways hopefully i will get it paid today and
maybe recieve it before the weekend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Ghia

Hey, there's nothing negative about Ms Krall!

The similarity between her and Ms Jones is that both seem a little uncomfortable performing in public. And I believe I read somewhere that Ms jones is "a daughter" of Ravi Shankar. Ravi was a wandering minstrel I think. Sitar or lute - makes no difference I guess.

BTW - Aimee Mann - she does look a bit like one?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 177
JohnA

The Zander notes indicate that the Adagio in Mahler's 5th is a love song to his wife Alma. How bad could he be? ;-) If you think about it (not implying you don't, just a common phrase), most photos from that era have the photographed appearing extremely serious. Maybe we could find a time machine and you, 2c and I could travel back and get Gus to drink a few beers. If we can succeed at that, then surely he would have to go to the bathroom!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 178
MR,

You wrote: "BTW - Aimee Mann - she does look a bit like one?

Well, Kegger, thinks she's hot so you may want to ask him! LOL! She's definitely not a girly-girl and has strong Germanic facial features that could be interpreted as "wussy boy" - you know, masculine features for a woman but feminine features on a man....and, according to reports from her current tour, she is telling the audience she has taken up boxing - as if she couldn't hit hard enough with her lyrics - but, at least one fan told her she wasn't a "robust enough specimen" to be a boxer. However, she seems to me to be more robust than her husband, Michael Penn (Sean's bro').

Kegger - sorry I jinxed you! How many kegs could that $37 have bought?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 666
NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE HEAR.

if you remember i said hot from her days with
TIL TUESDAY.

where she was much younger and seemed from the
video very effecinate.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 179
Kegger,

Are you saying only younger women can be hot? :-)

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 668
no i'm just confirming i thought she was hot then
and don't know about now.

from that picture though it does look like she
has changed quite a bit.

but hey i'll take em just about any age i can get um! lol

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 161
Kegger,

You seem to be digging yourself into quite a hole here. :-)
Go get him Ghia!!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 180
Annette Funicello or Aimee Mann? Here's a silly lyric game...

http://www.aolwatch.org/annetteq.htm

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 671
sem i think i have stated my case quite clearly.

if i think a woman is hot and she changes from
either age or something else i can't be held to
that oppinion forever can i?

just the same as when a younger woman may not be
very attractive but as she gets older may change
or loose some of the features that made her so.
do i allways have to think she is not attractive?

i have seen woman go in both directions so i leave
age out of it!

and like i said "i'll take em just about any age i can get um!"

for me i am 37 so i will take them "if i can get
them"
from 18 "legal" to roughly 47 and as i get older
the high goes up while the low side stays the same!

that's allright isn't it?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 181
Ok, this thread has gone off on a strange tangent! :-) Kegger, I'll keep it going....stayed tuned for the AM revolution....is it for the better or worse?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1625
I agree with Sem. Careful, folks, this is a family forum!

Ghia,

Don't you think writing a movement of a symphony as a love song is, well, trying a bit too hard? And don't you think TELLING people that is what it is was actually claiming ownership of the dedicatee......? What presumption. How could she make up her own mind with all that emotional baggage attached? Seems to me, if I understand anything about people (which I don't, much), it is no wonder she dumped him, what arrogance and self-importance. All contempory sources agree Alma was as hot as they come. She wasn't short of offers.

I did warn you about the dangers of Mahler not giving the hit, and moving on to Wagner. There is this piece called the "Seigfried Idyll" which Wagner wrote for an entire flaming orchestra to line up, and play, as a "surprise", outside his wife's bedroom after she'd had their first baby, the eponymous Siegfried, poor kid. I cringe with embarrassment on his, and his mothers, behalf. It's even NAMED after him, for Pete's sake.

My god, the ruthless all-consuming egos those guys must have had; "look at me" in every bar. War? "Look at me". Human tragedy? "look at me". Anyone else of signficance or interest in the world? "No, look at me". Love and devotion of a beautiful woman? "look at me".

Let me suggest Elgar's "Enigma" variations for gentle, respectful, generous and good-hearted dedications to friends and loved ones. Blo•ody good music, too. That one will test Kegger's sub, too. The famous "Nimrod" (was there ever one short movement of anything that packed in so much?) was apparently to his music publisher, but you have to solve the riddle - he was NOT using his friends and family to score points. The last-but-one is about a totally anonymous lady. Why, we still ask. It's obvious, if you listen, I've always thought....

Anyway, 2c, Kegger and I have already agreed to down a few with Gus. I look forward to that. I don't imagine he's a barrel of laughs. If I've read him wrong, I will apologise. Maybe we can get him to post back, and explain. If you'd care to join us, just remember he's on the rebound....

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 182
80's Aimee:

Upload

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 183
mid-90's Aimee:

Upload

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 674
dam i'm telling you that girl looks hot!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 184
2003 Aimee:
Upload

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 675
much hotter in the 80's pic!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 185
And, for JohnA, a different pair of boots:

Upload

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 676
but then the 200 pic gets better than the 90 pic!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 186
Personally, I like the second pic - mid-90's look best. And, her mid-90's to present day music is definitely better than the 80's music!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 677
2003 that is!
ooooooohhhhh i like those boots! lol

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 187
Thanks, Kegger! This has given me a different perspective on AM. Much more fun than analyzing lyrics. :-) Of course, as a woman, it's a little weird to be debating how hot or not hot AM is. lol!

And, JohnA, aren't those red boots totally p*mp?! If we could get AM to pose in those boots along side Loretta Lynn in the dress on her latest cd cover, well.....actually, I'd be at a loss for what to say. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1627
Ghia,

I respectfully sumit that Gus would have dumped Alma on the spot, and Wagner left the orchestra playing, as a distraction, while he did a runner. That lady is surely their ideal of perfection. They had this weakness for strong women. Wagner in particular would have completely flipped over those boots, I am sure.

Over on "Definitions and descriptions" people are getting into units of impedence and such things.

I suppose you know the internationally-agree unit of female beauty...?

The milliHelen. Symbol; mH.

Definition.

MilliHelen: the quantity of female beauty required to launch one ship.

I'd give Aimee about 5 mH, personally.

Hope Jan is reading.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 678
GHIA this is to funny!

and yes we are just kidding around hear!
but i like it.

you got anymore hot chick pics! lol

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 679
no john.

mh is mega hottie!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1628
Ghia,

I've just got to stop thinking about what else AM could have been wearing with those boots....

OK, I give in, who is Loretta Lynn....?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 680
she is one of those woman that you spin the record
backwards and all your stuff comes back john!

a famous one at that.

and she is the daughter of this dude who gets coal.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 188
JohnA,

I overlooked your post in the midst of the picture uploading frenzy.

What's so pompous and egotistical about writing a movement for a loved one? I would be thrilled to be on the receiving end of that. Here is the text from Zander's notes:

"Mahler's close friend, the conductor Willem Mengelberg, characterized the Adagietto movement as 'Love, a smile enters his life.' Scrawled in the margin of Mengelberg's score to the Fifth is the note: 'This Adagietto was Gustav Mahler's declration of love to Alma! Instead of a letter, he sent her this in manuscript: no accompanying words. She understood and wrote to him: he should come!!! Both told me this!' As an expression of love, rather than mourning, it makes a perfect transition to the celebration of joy in the Finale."

I note several things:

First, Mahler actually had friends which one might not believe possible if he were only capable of pomposity and egoism.

Second, there's nothing in that particular passage which indicates that Mahler TOLD anyone the purpose of that movement. Mengelberg's notes seem to indicate that Alma understood it and was delighted by it. Come, indeed! ;-)

There was a third point, but I've forgotten what it was! Old dog syndrome.

I recall the debate you had with 2c about Mahler. At the time, I had no idea what either of you were talking about. However, as I learn more about this masterful composer and become ever more engrossed in his music, I believe I may need to team up with 2c on this debate. Of course, I will have to do more research which could sway my opinion towards your view. But, for now, Mahler rules!

If you'll allow me to join you gentlemen for that beer with Gus, I'll gladly do so!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 189
Man, the stuff that has been posted while I wrote my last one!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 681
sure everyone can partake in the beering.

we just need a good central location.

anyone?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 190
Kegger, dissing Loretta, like that! Shameful!

JohnA, Loretta is a country music institution. Here's the dress I was talking about:

Loretta's Dress

So, you can see how I would be at a loss of words if a pic surfaced of AM in her red boots standing alongside Loretta in her blue dress! lol!

Kegger, I'm sorry but I don't have any more hot chick pics! Lest anyone misconstrue my fascination with AM's music, I had to go trolling the internet to find the ones posted above....and, I did so solely for your benefit!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 682
ghia i wasn't dissing her i was giving john another puzzle.

and i appreciate the pics on my behalf!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 192
JohnA,

You wrote:

"I suppose you know the internationally-agree unit of female beauty...?

The milliHelen. Symbol; mH.

Definition.

MilliHelen: the quantity of female beauty required to launch one ship.

I'd give Aimee about 5 mH, personally."

Does that mean she can launch 5 ships? Something tells me this ship launching thing might be a metaphor. LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1638
Ghia, I believe the international standard is named after Queen Helen of Troy.

Kegger, Thanks, but just from the pic, I would not even play one of those backwards.

Ok, now "from the other side". Just String Quartets, just UK. Good Lord, there's dozens of them.

String Quartet - Oreos
Another Oreos link
Just Strings Quartet
Strings Attached
The Aaron String Quartet (click "click for picture")
Mirage String Quartet
The Maiden Quartet
String Quartet #237
Oreos String Quartet

From the last link, these three pictures. Speaking personally, I'd rate these gals about 500 mH each. (Compared with AM 5 mH, LL 0 mH imho). How can they fail to play fantastic stuff?

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1639
Then, try this.

Bond

...and Bonds' controversial press review (not about the music) Bond - Biography

Look, no boots.

How young I feel.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1641
Ghia,

Thanks for July 05, 2004 - 03:41 pm. Every word understood. We need more old dogs like you.

Hey, we could invite Alma, too. She might bring one of her new boyfriends. I've always wanted to have few words with Shoenberg, for example. We would need to worry about the tab if she brought them all.

There is a Tom Lehrer Song. Here is a great link with the context (narration), links, and a picture of Alma. She looks to me a bit like Aimee Mann....

THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS 11. Alma

Tom Lehrer's song is a Waltz, naturally: 3/4 time; 1, 2, 3; 1, 2, 3; oom-pah-pah; oom-pah-pah...

Everyone ready...?

Last December 13th, there appeared in the newspapers the juiciest, spiciest, raciest obituary it has ever been my pleasure to read. It was that of a lady named Alma Mahler Gropius Werfel*, who had, in her lifetime, managed to acquire as lovers practically all of the top creative men in central Europe. And, among these lovers**, who were listed in the obituary, by the way, which is what made it so interesting, there were three whom she went so far as to marry: One of the leading composers of the day, Gustav Mahler, composer of Das Lied von der Erde*** and other light classics; one of the leading architects, Walter Gropius, of the Bauhaus school of design; and one of the leading writers, Franz Werfel, author of the Song of Bernadette and other masterpieces.

It's people like that who make you realize how little you've accomplished. It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years!

It seemed to me, on reading this obituary, that the story of Alma was the stuff of which ballads should be made, so here is one:

The loveliest girl in Vienna
Was Alma, the smartest as well.
Once you picked her up on your antenna,
You'd never be free of her spell.

Her lovers were many and varied
From the day she began her - beguine.****
There were three famous ones whom she married,
And God knows how many between.

Alma, tell us,
All modern women are jealous,
Which of your magical wands
Got you Gustav and Walter and Franz?

The first one she married was Mahler,
Whose buddies all knew him as Gustav,
And each time he saw her he'd holler,
"Ach, that is the Fraulein I must have!"

Their marriage, however, was murdah.
He'd scream to the heavens above,
"I'm writing Das Lied von der Erde
And she only wants to make love!"

Alma, tell us,
All modern women are jealous.
You should have a statue in bronze
For bagging Gustav and Walter and Franz.

While married to Gus she met Gropius,
And soon she was swinging with Walter.
Gus died and her tear drops were copious,
She cried all the way to the altar.

But he would work late at the Bauhaus,
And only came home now and then.
She said, "What am I running, a chow house?
It's time to change partners again!"

Alma, tell us,
All modern women are jealous.
Though you didn't even use Ponds,
You got Gustav and Walter and Franz.

While married to Walt, she'd met Werfel,
And he, too, was caught in her net.
He married her but he was carefel,
'Cause Alma was no Bernadette.

And that is the story of Alma,
Who knew how to receive and to give.
The body that reached her embalma
Was one that had known how to live.

Alma, tell us,
How can they help being jealous?
Ducks always envy the swans
Who get Gustav and Walter,
You never did falter
With Gustav and Walter and Franz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1644
Just before the plug is pulled on this thread, on grounds of taste and polical correctness, I wish to thank Kegger for the "megahottie" (LOL) - but it has to be abbeviated "Mh".

If 1 mH = 1 Mh, then it follows that are a US billion (10 to the ninth) hotties in a Helen. That seems about right.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 194
LOL, JohnA I'm at work right now and couldn't possibly post a response that would do justice to your efforts! Maybe tonight.

I will take time to say I thought when you said you would post pics from the "other side" you were going to find beefcake pics for my benefit! LOL! Guess I'll have to find my own to post for "equal time".

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 702
john i like the math there my friend!

and ghia if i get a chance,probably not being at
work, i will try to post some.

so you won't have to ask "wheres the beef"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1646
Thanks, "Guys". Can we have hunks on some other thread, please......?!

Ghia, take a look at the Alma photo on that link. Personally, I found she measured a bit above AM, say 10 mH, but doubtless she had hidden charms.

Glad you approve the math, Kegger. LL did not even register in hotties, for me, but I am sure she would say the same, in return...

That cellist puts my mH meter on overload protection, I can tell you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
All,

There are so many great posts here I want to respond to, but don't have the time right now. I've been spending much of my free time reading George Orwell (his essays), which isn't a musical discovery, but is directly related to this forum, as a few of you have mentioned him in your posts. What I've discovered in Orwell is a wonderful moral compass for the times we live in.

I find this place an exceptional place to learn new things and be encouraged that old (and not so old) dogs can learn new tricks. It's not lacking in fun, either. Thanks to everyone who contributes.

For now, I'll just respond to some straight-forward questions raised earlier about Mahler:

For the performance of the 2nd, the double basses were behind the cellos on the (audience's) left side of the stage. As noted, the first and second violins were split to the left and right sides. I read somewhere that MTT arranges the orchestra in this manner only for Mahler performances that are recorded. I believe Mahler calls for this arrangement.

The tempos were extreme on both the fast and slow side in certain passages. The faster tempo made the music sound rushed in my opinion. The slower tempos were not so slow that the shape of the music was lost. I've listened to and appreciated Bernstein's versions which also have extreme tempos, but MTT still surpised.

I do recommend the MTT/SFSO on-going Mahler cycle (Currently 1,3,4, and 6 are available on SACD). Most folks recommend 1 and 4 as good starting points. The SFSO website has a lot of information on the project, including future concert dates and record release dates.

I really like Aimee Mann's music ("Lost in Space" is still on my regular rotation), but I will choose to sit out the "hottie" debate :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1648
Great, 2c. "Animal Farm" and "1984" are the Orwell classics, as I am sure you know. I wonder how MAHLER wanted the strings arranged.....?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us