Archive through April 10, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 832
Don - so, was Evans at his best before, with, or after LaFaro? Your opinion, of course - but just wondering. Next time out I'm going to try to audition tracks before I buy. The VilVan disc is OK, but I only really like about 2/3 of it.

Just got some new classical stuff - so must away to "tweak" all, then audition.

My insanity, as always! (grin) More latr. . .

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1064
u should really consider Coldplay. its rock but with pianos drums and guitars(mostly acoustics)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 837
As I posted on Hi-Res thread, the Florestan Trio playing Debussy, Faure' and Ravel - absolutely stunning sound and performance.

Got a remaster of "Mingus Ah Um" coming soon - it's one of those "limited edition" discs, and I'll post my reaction soon.

This is a fascinating time - getting both classical and jazz, and "changing lanes" during my listening periods. I still maintain that there is a flow between the two genres - at least for Mer and me.

Don RX - you'll know what I mean when I tell you that, years ago, my liddle group of music-makers took some Bach fugue charts - and added some fine walking bass and brushes and did ourselves proud with the "fusion." Still chuckle over the results, which we liked so much that we did a short number on one of our Saturday night riverboat cruises. WE thought we'd get boos - but we actually got a big tip from one of the high rollers on the cruise, who thought our arrangement was just "too much!" In a positive way, I mean! (grin) Classical/jazz - rolled into one. . .

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 263
Good late evening, Larry.

Just got home and as always, was looking forward to what the Old Dogs are up to.

Re: Bill Evans, best before, with, or after Scott LaFaro... It's hard to say. Before LaFaro, Mr. Evans was making a name for himself with the Miles Davis group. Evans found in LaFaro the kind of jazz trio that he had hoped for and successfully achieved: a group of musicians that interacted with each other as opposed to one being supported or complemented by two others (the Oscar Peterson trio, for example).

Evans took LaFaro's death very deeply and personally, and it showed on his playing in the years that followed. The album "Moonbeams" for example, was lyrical yet gloomy. He felt that nobody could fill the void that LaFaro left behind. Still, he searched and found two kindred souls, one in Marc Johnson and another in Eddie Gomez. Each bassist had his own unique style, yet complemented Evans' playing. (Gomez would later play with Chick Corea).

Re: "...a musician in search of a melody line"
You're a keen observer, Larry. What you're hearing is the introspective quality of Evans' playing. His playing is revered by many aspiring and professional jazz pianists: the long melodic lines; how he structured his chords and bass lines; his phrasing, etc.

"...an acquired taste?"
Perhaps. In my opinion, his solos were well-thought of, much like those of Bud Powell and Lennie Tristano. Many jazz pianists before his time --- and this isn't being disrespectful --- played solos at breakneck speed. Analyzed carefully at a much slower tempo, those solos
usually turned out to be either ascending or descending scales. Evans, on the other hand, played his solos as if they were an extension of the melody, and not merely an improvisation. To the uninitiated, Evans would sometimes sound as if he were hesitating on a solo, when in fact, he was phrasing his lines so that they would sound like a musical statement.

** Check out your local library and see if they have any Bill Evans, Bud Powell, and Lennie Tristano CD's. Tristano was one of Evans' influences.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 264
(continued)

re: Jazz Bach, there are two artists that I know of who have successfully swung Bach's preludes, partitas, fugues, etc.:

Jacques Loussier

Swingle Singers

Bach's works lend themselves naturally to the jazz idiom --- the diminished scales, in particular, provide a cakewalk to improvisers.

Larry, a long, long time ago, I had an LP by Victor Feldman in which he played a jazz version of Chopin's Waltz in C-sharp minor. Another album that I had was Brazilian guitarist Laurindo Almeida playing other Chopin works in bossa nova! Innovative, brilliant, and masterfully played, the re-shaped works would have made the Masters proud!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 265
Bill Evans album to avoid (in my opinion)

Stan Getz and Bill Evans

I threw out my CD in dismay --- no kidding.

The two artists were worlds apart during this session. I was terribly disappointed.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 266
(final installment)

Larry, if you want to get to know Bill Evans as a musician, please listen to Piano Jazz: Marian McPartland with guest Bill Evans

Good night and Happy Easter!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 278
Don,
Would you be kind enough to recommend one or two Jacques Loussier albums? Thanks

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 267
Hi, John S

Any one of these albums would be a good buy. One of them is on the Telarc label, so expect excellent sound quality.

Jacques Loussier / Play Bach - this is the first album (note the title: the first one has "play"; the other one (below) has "plays" -- the latter is the Telarc release)

Jacques Loussier Plays Bach

Best of Play Bach

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 520
After reading these posts I pulled out "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" and "Waltz for Debbie" from the record shelf (yes, the vinyl kind - sorry if I sound like a broken record, haw haw). Wonderful stuff. The recordings are fabulous, except there seems to be a lot of crowd noise. I can even hear people setting down there glasses, which isn't surprising considering how close the audience sits to the stage at the Vanguard. I've never heard the CD versions, but I wonder if the crowd noise has been cleaned out on the CD?

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 268
2C,

On the 20-bit remastered edition (I have both), the crowd noise is worse. But, on the other hand, the music has more presence than the original CD versions. Thanks for bringing it up because I can't help thinking that on either DVD-A or SACD, such noise on "live" club performances is more distracting given the hi-resolution? Is it you or John A. who has the Sinatra at the Sands? I know that on the CD, the ballads are marred by the clinking of glasses and muffled laughter -- on songs like " I've Got A Crush On You" and "It Was A Very Good Year." The noise is particularly annoying (to me) on "Angel Eyes."

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 269
Larry,

Back in January, you expressed your disappointment over the "tinny" sound of the Schubert Piano Trios CD (Ashkenazy, Harrell, & Zukerman).

I was just curious whether the B&W + NAD + replacement Yammie CD player have changed all that.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 838
Taking a break, guyz - gonna go right in and listen to the Evans SACD, then review the Ashkenazy Schubert disc. Will return in about 20 minutes to give my impressions of both.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Don,

I've read that remastering to remove crowd noise inevitably removes some musical information as well. Not sure if it's a good trade-off. I still enjoy the Evans recordings though. In fact I like everything I have of his. His album with Jim Hall (Undercurrent?) is one I didn't like right away, but it gets better with each listen, such are the brilliant nuances of that album.

I do have the Sinatra at the Sands CD (not the high-res version). I, too, find the crowd noise annoying as well as Sinatra's inane patter. It's not one of my favorite Sinatra recordings, not in the same league as his early Capitol recordings imho.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 839
Don & 2C - OK - (puff, puff) did a frantic-type search, but finally determined that I'd given the Schubert disc to the library. Though I remember playing it on the Yammie/NAD/B&W combination, and thinking that it was still thin and tinny. It's gone, anyway.

On the SACD version of the Vanguard disc - the only cuts where the crowd noise is loud enough to really "intrude" are the two takes of "Alice in Wonderland" and the final cut - "Jade Visions."

Now - I'm wondering if any processing was done to remove crowd noise? Not sure. AT this point I'd better state that Mer's idea of listening to jazz is to have it just high enough so that you still can talk over it. I disagree, turning it up a tad higher (when she's working or gone).

Also - the SACD is not the same - the last five cuts listed here are "bonus" tracks. Not sure about the sound, though. My cuts are Gloria's Step (take 2); My Man's Gone Now; Solar; Alice in Wonderland (take 2); All of You (take 2); Jade Visions (take 2); Gloria's Step (take 3); Alice in Wonderland (take 1); All of You (take 3) and Jade Visions (take 1).

Quite good 2-channel sound on this one, given the state of recording, and the location.

Don: Yes! Almeida is one of my "heroes." Used to have several of his LPs - now have none of his work. Hoping some get re-done onto hi-res discs.

Thanks for the Loussier - a long time ago in a city far, far away I vaguely remember his work - but it has been lost to me in the intervening years. Now, I'll gladly look him up again - sounds like something I will like!

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
man u guys dont talk to me

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 840
Don et al: Forgot! (not unusual for me) I replaced the Ashkenazy disc with a 2-disc set done by Andras Schiff, piano, Yuuko Shiokawa, violin, and Miklos Perenyi, cello.

The sound on this set is "fair." Not tinny, but not all that full, either. A 1997 Teldec set.

This is one case where I heard quite a difference in sound before and after my now-infamous "tweaks" with Z-14 and Z-6. Using the products, along with lightly sanding down inner and outer edges and applying black marker, warmed up the sound, and gave it more "presence."

OK - shoot me, hit me, throw water. I don't care. I.M.H.O. the tweaks work. I.M.H.O. (just so Jan doesn't accuse me of stating opinion as fact!)

I'm going through a tough time - getting rid of nearly all of my early-80s CDs - especially the Deutsche Gramophone ones - and replacing them as I can with new versions - or re-masters on SACD.

To all of you who told me: "when you upgrade speakers, receiver, etc., those upgrades will make music sound better - but also show up all the defects in other gear, and especially in the CDs themselves." Y'all were oh, so right! CDs that sound "fine" on Mer's liddle all-in-one unit sound horrible on the main rig!

No more preaching - looking forward to all replies from all of you whose comments I welcome and respect. That means you!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 270
Two favourites:

Chopin: Nocturnes - Artur Rubinstein, piano - Very good CD quality. IMHO, Rubinstein is the definitive Chopin interpreter (I repeat, my opinion only!)

Schubert: Impromptus For Piano - Murray Perahia, piano - My favourite piece is the Impromptu No. 3 In G-Flat Major , Op.90

You can listen to a sample of each work.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 271
Does this bring back memories?

I_ _ _ B_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Y

Remember, the 'B' side was the entire "I_-A-G_ _ _ _ - _ _ - V _ _ _"?
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1079
wut does that mean

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 842
Don RX-1 - you haven't heard Rubenstein on SACD, my friend! When you do, you will never look back. And yes, Rubenstein=Chopin=Rubenstein to the tenth power.

Alittle slow today - not getting your puzzle yet, but perhaps my Master's Degree will kick in and help me fathom your Phoenician references? (grin)

Hi-Res thread - new Saint-Saens piano concertos. So incredible I had to stand up and shout (to Mer's dismay) at the end of each movement. Sigh. When I come back - I want to play like that!!!

Dinner calls - more later this eve.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 847
Don: After a frustrating night, unable to get on this forum, I only have more frustration to report. Much as I'd like, your puzzle has me unable to fill in the blanks - due to other blanks in my head! Sigh. We ole guys could use a little help!

And I have to add to a comment that SM made much earlier - regarding envy in its various forms? I, too, must admit that I hold a certain amount of envy for your beautiful piano, and your obvious ability to make it sing!

I'm having such fun with my new "Christmas box" of SACDs that I am evading and avoiding other projects. Sigh. But Mer says the music keeps me up above the mind-muck of the depressing news-of-the-day - so it's good for something!

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 234
Don,

I'll take a shot at it:

Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Speaking of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and 70's rock, this may be of interest only to 2C (and even he may not be interested) but Aimee Mann has a new album coming out in May. If you like 70's pop music, this album has the retro sound of that era. Descriptions I've seen used to describe whom it evokes - The Band, Rod Stewart & Smallfaces, Elton John (Tumbleweed era) and even Soloman Burke. Now, there's a description I have never before imagined being used in conjunction with Aimee Mann. Have also heard from some who hear Jackson Browne and Lucinda Williams in it.

The recording techniques for this album involved having all the band members in the studio essentially recording the tracks live. Remember that discussion on Old Dogs?

You can listen to most of the tracks in full (but low fidelity) at
Aimee Mann "The Forgotten Arm"

BTW, the album title is a reference to a boxing move. Ms. Mann has taken up boxing in the past year despite being described as not being a "robust physical specimen".

My favorite songs based on the little listening I've done:

- King of the Jailhouse
- I Can't Get My Head Around It
- Little Bombs
- That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart
- I Can't Help You Anymore

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 850
SM and Don: Not only didn't I get it, I never heard of it! Sigh. OK - the puzzle was obviously NOT meant for me.

New SACDs just arrived, courtesy (for money, of course!) of Amazon. On hi-res thread.

One Mingus - one Beethoven. How's that for equal time! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 853
Sigh. All I can say is "see Old Dogs."

I feel so old all of a sudden!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
SM - Great guess with the Iron Butterfly. You've got to be right. Don?

I'd be interested in getting your impressions after you get the new Aimee Mann album. I only have B#2, LiS and the Magnolia soundtrack. I'd call myself a casual fan of AM.

BP - If you like the Beatles and Coldplay, try some new stuff like Keane, Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control and Bright Eyes. I hope you use this forum to explore some new music.

Larry - I haven't been posting on this thread because the new music I've been listening to probably isn't of interest to the regulars here. I'm not sure how The Streets (rap), Bright Eyes (alternative ???), and Eleanor McEvoy (Irish folk rock) would go over here. As far as classical and jazz, I've been listening to the old war horses.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 854
2C - Old warhorses are good - after all, they wouldn't be "old warhorses" if people didn't come back to them, time after time!

As to my new SACDs - SIGH - I'd waited and waited for the RCS Living Stereo re-do of Saint-Saens' "Organ Symphony." Finally got it, polished it up, heated up the CD player, and let 'er rip.

Well, sorta. I got about two minutes into it before I realized that something BIG was missing here. Sound quality! That was it!

Sigh - the recording sounds as though it's playing through cheesecloth - just not quite "there" for fidelity and sonic accuracy.

Then - when the denouement came around, and the Great Pipe Organ does its descending run into the sound-basement. Poof - it sounded as though the organ were in the next studio.

I'm not saying that this is a BAD SACD - but, as many people have posted on other forums, the sound is nowhere what I'd expected. My tried and true Telarc with Philadelphia Orch. - in plain-jane CD recording - runs rings around the RCA re-issue. Sad to say. Verry sad to say, for I feel I've wasted another bundle of money.

If any of you has heard this SACD, I'd really like your input! Thanx in advance. . .

Re-hearing the Charles Mingus album: I thought I liked this album - but it is just not quite the jazz for me, I'm afraid. I'd auditioned snippets of it, and thought it would be good for me. Nope.

Doesn't mean it's not a good album - just not my listening style, I guess. The library should love it. Sigh.

Hope all had a fine weekend - and am wishing you all a productive, peaceful, musical week!

Silver Member

Post Number: 529
Larry, the disappointing organ notes on the Saint-Saens recording might be the result of RCA purposely rolling off the bottom end of the recording. I'm not surprised that the modern Telarc recording is much better. I've found that not all RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence recordings are of the same quality. For example, the MLP Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos 2 and 3 SACD plainly sucks. Strings are so lush that they sound like mush. Maybe some people like this sound, but it sounds so unreal to my ears. Too bad about the Mingus. I really like that album, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

If you like traditional jazz that swings, may I recommend Scott Hamilton (saxophonist) on the Concord label.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Larry,

I'll buy the Mingus from you if you don't mind mailing it. If it is more convenient to give it to the library, I understand. I can always hit Amazon for it. :-)

2C,

I have not listened to the new AM cd very much. At first, it was available in 3 songs per week streaming from the website. I've been saving the streaming files to my hard drive but haven't burned them to disk yet. This CD is causing a bit of a controversy on the AM fansites. I estimate about 50% of those who have spoken up don't like it. It is a departure for her. From what I've heard, I like how organic the music and the recording techniques are. Lyrically, I'm not sure....it seems less intimate and I'm not sure the "concept" of the story is very compelling or strong. But, again, I haven't listened to it critically yet either. One thing I know for sure, she has used an entire career's worth of the word "baby" on the past 2 records and should be banned from using it ever again!

If you'll remember, I actually started the Discoveries thread - so, post your impressions of music you are listening to even if you think no one is interested. I'm interested in your recommendations and have picked up a few of them and enjoyed them (i.e Mahler, Jolie Holland). Bright Eyes does not appeal to me. I have not heard your other recommendations but will look them up.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 273
SM, Iron Butterfly is correct. Actually, I provided the link to the puzzle. Go back to my original post, "mouse over" the I_ _ _ line and it will go to acousticsounds.com

2C,

Feel free to post any new music discovery or re-discovery. I have an open mind --- well, if you have a 12-yr. old kid who listens to Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Linkin Park, you'd have an open mind! Scott Hamilton, yes, that's a good one coming from an equally good label and catalogue.

Larry,

I have yet to find a Telarc CD that disappointed me. All the ones that I have sound great; they range from the Los Angeles Philharmonic to Dizzy Gillespie.

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations (first, the speakrs, then the CD player, a few disappointing CD/SACD purchases, the crystal vase). Take it easy.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 860
Don: It's that danged black cloud that perpetually leaks disaster on my head - that's what does it! (grin)

Read the vase update on Old Dogs - and laugh.

Read other reviews (not great) of the Organ Symphony on Amazon.

Yep - taking it easy.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1613
SM

Re: Iron Butterfly. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - or In a garden of evil baby! I recall such a discussion way, way back remember?.

I listened again to some of Aimee Mann's Lost In Space from a website after some tracks from her new album which I wasn't fussed about. She's very good - I may get that one some day.

Don, 2C,

Yes, Scott Hamilton is a wonderful saxophonist - I recommend the well recorded cd, "Spoon's Blues" a Jimmy Witherspoon recording produced by Duke Robillard who plays lead guitar, and Bruce Katz on piano and Hammond. Hamilton really throws a plethora of mellow, haunting, and soaring notes around these recordings. One of my favourites. Delete Spoon's Testimony (a bit of a bore and over 10 min) from the album and it's still over 60 mins of great jazz-blues - done the way it should be!

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Don,

I didn't even notice the link! I don't know whether to be pleased that I didn't need a crutch to solve the puzzle or embarassed that I wasn't observant enough to notice the link. :-)

2C,

I have discovered quite a bit of "new to me" music through the forum. Mostly in the classical genre as well as some jazz. For instance, Shelley Mann is one that was mentioned some time ago and I went out & purchased one of his cd's and love it. Larry and Jan both have sent me cd's introducing me to a wide range of classical and jazz music I had not heard before. I even have the MLP Rachmaninoff cd you mentioned above. :-)

MR

You like what you heard of Aimee Mann? That surprises me. "Lost in Space" is probably my favorite AM record. It's a dark record musically and lyrically but I love the texture and atmosphere of the music, her vocal performance (she is not know for having a great voice or range but does a really nice job on LIS) and the lyrics. There seem to be a number of AM fans who aren't pleased with the upcoming album. But, I think it might be her most accessible because it doesn't have the darkness or lyrical complexity of past releases. Plus, I like the mood of the 70's pop it evokes. Josh Rouse has that mood captured, too. That's another one I would recommend, "Nashville" - don't worry, it's not country! lol

Scott Hamilton? Never heard of him. Will have to add this to the (long) list of things to check out.

Silver Member
Username: Eskimo3

Post Number: 710
F a g

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
SM,

I had forgotten that you started the thread. It's a great thread. I'll try to contribute more.

Don,

I'd be interested to know if there is any overlap between your and your kid's musical taste. I must admit that I like Green Day and Blink 182, especially played in the car, even if they're just regurgitating classic 70's punk. A week ago, I was cleaning out the garage and found a box full of records from my high school days, including stuff by the Clash, Television, Pretenders, Talking Heads, Alex Chilton, Marianne Faithfull, and other goodies that have held up surprisingly well. Been listening to those records mainly.

More later... Going to Amoeba Records this weekend.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 285
I play Scott Hamilton's "East of the Sun" (Concord CCD-4583) at work quite often. Not ground breaking jazz, but it swings like crazy and I never tire of it.

Today for my birthday I got a cell phone. [Yeah I know, 'welcome to the 21st century, John.'] Anyway I told my wife I didn't want one unless the phone ring was "In-Gadda-Da-Vida". Now, it's a done deal. Gotta go...phone's ringing...

Dum-Dum-Da-Da-Dum-Dum- Taa- Taa- Taa---

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 276
John S,

Happy Birthday!

I'm singing the line, "Happy Birthday to you" to the tune of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Try it

Hap-py-birth-day-to-you... da-da-da-da

Hap-py-birth-day-to-you.. da-da-da-da

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 865
Dear Don: Please stop singing. You're a wonderful piano/guitar musician. Stick with it. Or I'll get the neighbor's dog to "sing" with you!
(triple grin here, doncha know!)

Ouch

Ouch

Yipes!!!!!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 277
Larry,

No need for that. My co-worker already back-slapped me for doing so.

Can I sue? ;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
John S.

I'll join Don in singing Happy Birthday to the tune of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida... for the full 17 minutes! Have a great one!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 278
2C,

I like only a little of the "alternative music" that my son listens to. I don't know why but predictably, I have this tendency to compare the new material with what I'm already familiar with, i.e., classic rock. His favourite station is at http://www.edge102.com but even he, sometimes, would turn off his radio or his internet link to the station because, he says, "the music sucks." I look for structure in a song --- a beginning, a middle, and an ending. A story. IMO, structure + a good melody + great chords = a good song. Regardless of the genre.

SM,

I'll take you up on your recommendations on Aimee Mann. Hopefully, the Mississauga library has them. Based on your description of her songs and her style, I sincerely think she is something worth "discovering". I'll keep you posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
All,

This is music I highly recommend to everyone:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/1971

The link is to the single-disc SACD. There is also a two-disc CD that has more music. I recommend the full length CD. Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2926
JOHN,

Happy birthday.

The most distinctive and useful ring tone I have heard was my daughter's. She keyed in "The Lonely Goatherd" from "The Sound of Music". Whenever anyone phoned her, everyone withing earshot smiled.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1615
John S

Many happy returns.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 867
Two Cents - sounds fascinating - wish I could audition some of it, but Amazon.com doesn't have samples - maybe somebody has a link to audition? I put it on my "wish list" anyway. Thanks. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 868
Don RX-1 - you can only sue if you move to Ameruka, where lawsuits are a national sport, so it would seem!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 287
Thanks to all for the birthday greetings. Not too many really famous people were born on 29 March, but today we can say happy birthday to Eric Clapton, who's one day younger than I.

Larry, could it be that we have too many lawyers?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 871
John S. - sorry that I failed to get in line with the rest of our friends to wish you H.B. - but Don RX-1 was singing so loud that I had to get away from the "Discoveries" thread or lose my hearing! (grin)

And I've thought a lot about your "too many lawyers" comment. I think it's not that there are too many of them, but that they take wrong-minded approaches to many things, including frivilous lawsuits!

If anyone out there is opera-minded, may I humbly suggest you listen to Rolando Villazon's latest CD? If he doesn't eventually replace Placido Domingo I'll be surprised. I know that he's just one of the current crop of "newbie" tenors, but IMHO he's about the best of the pack. Comments?

Two Cents: "Amoeba Records?" Pleez 'splain.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
http://www.amoebamusic.com/html/modules.php?name=Amoeba_Home&op=home

The greatest record store I've seen. Can easily spend an entire lazy afternoon browsing.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 873
Two Cents - thanx! Guess it's sorta like Powell's bookstore up in Portland, Oregon - one of "the" places to browse and buy - but not generally known way down heah wayre litrucy ain' a ting to bragg abote. (grin?)

Yep, we had such stores in Chicago, but if we don't go to Barnes & Noble in Swampville we don't get much satisfaction. Even there, the music clerks raise eyebrows if you mention anything but the latest pop/rock music. Sigh.

Then there's our friend John A. - over in a place where concerts come every day, and records and CDs can surely be found in a dozen good places. Mer once (no, make that 1,000 times) told me that, after she came back from her big Amsterdam trip years ago, she could never really feel at home in Ameruka anymore - that the cultural advantages of Europe far exceeded anything we have here - except, of course in "pockets" such as SanFran, Chicago and New York/Boston. So, enjoy your "pocket," 2C! (grin)

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 279
AV Guide Monthly - April 2005 issue (complete)

Part 1
http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue14_part1.pdf

Part 2
http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue14_part2.pdf

Or both parts in one download:
http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue14_hispeed.pdf

Then click on the diskette icon to save on your local drive --- it's faster to browse the document that way.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 280
A different kind of "discovery"...

Click on the link below to view the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then end with a view of a leaf from a microscopic perspective.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html

Have a nice day, everyone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
Don,

That's similar to a movie made by Ray and Charles Eames called "Powers of Ten". The same Eames couple that designed classic mid-century furniture. They were a renaissance couple. The movie starts with a couple having a picnic in a park and zooms in by powers of ten to a molecular level and then zooms back out to a cosmic level. It's a classic short film worth seeking out.

Larry,

Powell's Bookstore is a great analogy. Amoeba is huge but has the character of an independent store.

My parents are in for a visit and we plan on going to see "Evita" in SF. Not exactly a cultural gem, but it does show there's never a lack of things to do around here.

All the best.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2932
Great stuff, Don and 2c. I will have to do the Java applet at the weekend.

I read the book "powers of ten" and made some slides from the pics, 2c. I have forgotten why. I remember that the couple were in a park in Chicago, near the lakeshore.

It is interesting that we can comprehend things, somewhat, in time and space up to about 10 to the 15 and -15 metres or seconds. Is this something about the universe, or about us...?

There is this thing called "the anthropic principle".

More in a few days.

"Evita" is really good, 2c. Even the movie with Madonna.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 877
Two Cents - again, sir - I envy you! Sigh. But we've got a barbershop quartet concert this weekend! Hmmm. . .

John A. - I almost understand some of what you said. But I shall defend to the death your right to say it! (grin)

SM - hope you got my e-mail this afternoon. We're having too much trouble with this! Sigh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
John A.,

I'm impressed by your prodigious memory, sir. The picnickers were in a park in Chicago. The Eames were meticulous about showing everything in a human scale. I read an account of how they made the movie, giving careful consideration to how easily the changes in magnitude could be perceived and comprehended by the viewer. Their furniture design also reflects their humanistic approach to the material world.

I will attend Evita with an open mind. The last musical I went to was Mamma Mia, based on ABBA songs. It wasn't my choice, but ended up enjoying it.

Larry R.,

Everything is relative. I could just as well envy John living in the center of the universe. But I don't think I'm much liked there. Everytime I tried crossing the street in London, I swear the cars sped up!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 880
Two Cents - I'm guessing the reason you're not liked in London is that shirt you wear. You know, the one with the big letters on the back:

MORE TROOPS TO IRAQ!

Think white shirt, rep tie, cufflinks. . .

(grin)

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 281
Here's another visual presentation of John Coltrane's Giant Steps

It's a Flash movie by Michal Levy. So far, it's the most extensive use of MM Flash I've seen on the internet.

Upload Make sure your PC speakers are ON.

http://michalevy.com/gs_download.html

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2944
I am not quite getting that sub, Don. I think it is a bit small. Or maybe I need a better cable...

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2945
Don, thank you for "Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 09:37 am:" Yes, that is a wonderful applet. I think 2c is right, and the author must have borrowed from "Powers of Ten".

One thing to reflect on there is that the trajectory and point of view are chosen by the author. Choose a random location, and a random direction, and there is not much between the two end settings. Just space and radiation at 2.7 K. Kind of puts things in perspective.

It is interesting the Florida guy picks a trajectory through a leaf. Quite right. But then through the boring old cell nucleus. There is a link here to a large movie which goes through the "more interesting" bits. And more significant for making this planet unusual.
http://www.biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de/Biophysik/Junge/pictures/AviRLE256_240_25. avi

It is probably a bit technical. But cool.

Thanks also for "Giant Steps".

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 890
To anyone who watched "Die Meistersinger" on PBS today - do you agree that James Morris ran away with the show? Wonderful. BUT like all the Wagner operas - way, way too long! The guy needed an editor! Sigh. Give me Puccini any day, or Verdi perhaps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Larry,

Didn't catch Wagner on PBS. Instead watched "Fitzcarraldo," a film about a dreamer who wants nothing more than to build an opera house in the middle of the Amazonian jungle. Other men go into the jungle armed with guns and get killed by the natives, but Fitz goes in with a Victrola playing Caruso and comes out alive. I'm sure the filmmaker (Werner Herzog) was making a point. The film is a mixed bag, but there are some wonderful images.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 891
2C - sounds like something I HAVE to see! Thanks, and I'll try to find it - though the Blockbuster emporiums of sticky discs here in Swampville tend toward kiddie-films and the biggest and often worstest current favorites. Sigh.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 284
We rented "The Rings" DVD over the weekend to see for ourselves what the hype was all about. I'm not sure what to make of it. Sure, it was creepy enough, but we were actually disappointed and was laughing and scoffing in the end --- that's our opinion only.

Personally, I found the development of the characters rather lacking. Take for instance the son played by David Dorfman. He's already a sad and creepy character right at the start of the movie. However, you're left to guess whether (a) he has psychic abilities; (b) he's had a supernatural encounter with the movie's evil child character; or (c) he's simply an unhappy tyke. Why he calls his mom by her first name, "Rachel" (the main character played by Naomi Watts) and not "Mommy" isn't explained in the movie. Our first guess was that impression was that Rachel was his stepmother. You'd expect some further involvement from the victim's parents to try to resolve the mystery --- the victim's name is "Katie" and it's her death that prompts Rachel to investigate the mysterious video tape.

Has anyone else seen the movie or DVD? Any thoughts? I heard that there's a "Ring 2". I think we'll stay away from it.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1643
Don - I thought it was a cut above the average supernatural type movie. It was a little different - enough to keep me watching. I found the son's dark character annoying and Dorfman's acting quite wooden - but admittedly a difficult role for a child. Creepy atmosphere. The Ring 2 - well it could only get worse.

If you think this movie was strange see Naomi Watt's in David Lynch's "Mullholland Falls" - he's a real strange one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
"Mulholland Drive" is a fantastic film. I've seen it twice and enjoyed it more the second time. Still didn't make complete sense, but who cares. If you've lived in LA, you can appreciate the creepy artificial quality and the confusion between fantasy and reality in the movie.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2358
Actualy I thought the ring was a decent flick, I've had friends who saw the
second one and was told don't waste your money!

Last night I saw "sin city" D A M what a cool movie. 5 stars in my book and
not many movies impress me lately! Very well done! And different!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 892
Kegger - interesting, your take on Sin City - our local newspaper reviewer-sorts give it generally bad reviews! But then, they are often at odds with other reviewers. I'll get some Online reports, then see what the "outside world" thinks!

2C - still hunting down Fitzcarraldo - no luck so far, but there are a couple of other Blockbuster Video stores within 35 miles or so. Guess that's why so many people are joining NetFlix??

And, since there's music on most movies, it's OK to discuss them on "Discoveries," right? Right.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1644
Two Cents

Yes "Mulholland Drive" thanks. I was still half asleep at around 3 am and got confused with the older movie with Nick Nolte. We saw Mulholland Drive twice also and were still confused. It was a darn good movie all the same. I don't what Lynch is on when he makes them though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
M.R. - There are plenty of theories deconstructing the story of M.D. One of the better ones I've heard is that the first half of the movie is a masturbatory fantasy of the Naomi Watts character and the second half is the actual story of her life. That doesn't explain the troll behind the dumpster and some other weird goings on, but it does tie together the two halves of the movie rather well.

L.R. - I'm shocked that the local Blockbusters in Florida doesn't carry an independent, German-language film from 1980. I guess they have to save shelf space for the 80th copy of "Catwoman".

To bring this back to music. Both M.D. and Fitzcarraldo have wonderful music. Angelo Baldametti (sp?) on the former and Strauss, Bellini and others on the latter. How's that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
L.R. - I highly recommend Netflix. (Personal disclosure: I own Netflix stock and I have taken a bath on it.)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 897
2C - OK (grin) I get the picture. Sigh. I'm sorta amazed, too, that there are few German-type films at the Blockbuster - given the fact that the place is always full of German tourists! They even have road signs in English and German - really! Maybe the "downtown" B-buster has the movie. Will check.

Stick to Bank CDs and utility stocks. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
Recent stash from the local used record store:

Mahler #8, Bernstein, LSO (Columbia)
Berlioz, Requiem, Colin Davis, LSO (Phillips)
Beethoven, Complete Symphonies, Kubelik (DG)
Beethoven, Complete Symphonies, Bohm, VPO (DG)
Jackson Browne, The Pretender (yeah, I know)

All for a whopping $8.82! Woo-hoo!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 900
2C - I take it that these "treasures" of yours are LPs, not CDs? No, at that price, they must be CDs. . .

Congrats, anyway! I have not been in a good "record store" in more than a year now, since we last visited Chi-town. Sigh. After trying to shop in Miami once last year I vowed never to set foot there again! Awful. . .

BTW - if your Kubelik Beethoven cycle is on DG - what year were they recorded? If on CD and before about 1987, be prepared for sonic disappointment. IMHO.

Have never heard Bohm conducting Beethoven - my loss, surely.

A pleasant, music-filled day to all. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 901
2C - wasn't Jackson Browne the chap that did the marvelous harpsichord version II of the well-tempered clavier for Telarc? (grin) Sure. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
Larry R.

All of the above are LPs. Unfortunately you may be right about the recording quality of the Kubelik cycle. They are from the late 70s. I've only played the 9th and was disappointed by the sonics. The symphonies were recorded in different venues with different orchestras. So I hope some of them were recorded well. All of Kubelik's LPs were pressed in Italy, surely not a sign of quality when it comes to records.

The Bohm Ninth on the other hand is magnificent in performance and sound quality. It's one of the best DG recordings I've heard. However, it's not free of the DG brightness, even on vinyl and played with a tube amp. All DG recordings seem to have been mastered on the bright side. When they came out in digital CD form, the results were, as you know, close to unlistenable. Despite the slight brightness of the LPs, I look forward to listening to the rest of Bohm's Beethoven cycle. The set is from the early 70s and were pressed in Germany.

Bernstein's Mahler Eighth is from the early 60s I believe. I've only played the first movement, but that was enough for me to find out it is not as good as his later recording on DG in both performance and sonic quality. It'll be interesting to listen to it all just to compare how his ideas about the work changed between the two recordings.

I'm off to the Old Dogs thread to defend Mahler from his many detractors on this forum.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 904
2C and anybody - so - when did DG lose some of its overpowering "bright" qualities? Or - did it? I still hesitate to buy their discs - and have given to our wonderful library ALL of my DG discs recorded before 1987. A lot of discs - a lot of bad sonics!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
Larry, I don't know if there was a specific time when DG recordings got better. My guess is that it happened over time. There's no question in my mind that cds made now sound better than cds made in the 80s generally. However, I've found even now DG recordings vary greatly. I recently listened to a Lang Lang cd recorded at Carnegie Hall and it sounded like a pirated recording made from the fifth row. Whereas when I buy a Hyperion or Harmonia Mundi cd for example, I can rely on the sound quality being good.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 905
2C - good points, sir. I have experienced the same thing - many times over. Sigh. I am glad to see, however, that a lot of "small houses" are bringing out new CDs all the time - and the few that I've bought have been excellent. Is this the "Avis" syndrome? (we try harder)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2963
Nice collection, 2c. I have a double LP of Beethoven 9 VPO/Bohm on DG. It was an early digital recording from just before CD. The CBSO/Solti I also have, on Decca, is analogue, and beats it for sound, it is like a lesson in how to do it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
John A.

I second your opinion. The Decca/London/Argo recordings seem consistently well-recorded. The Solti/CSO recordings of Mahler sound beautiful. They are not strident at all and have a warm, spacious, atmospheric quality that is easy on the ears. BTW did you mean CSO instead of CBSO? I don't recall Solti recording with the CBSO.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 908
2C and John A. - I assume that you are talking about all-LP recordings here? Just asking. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2964
That's right, 2c, CSO; Chicago Symphony Orchestra. "CB" was a slip, referring to the "second city" over here (City of Birmingham). I also find those Decca/London/Argo recordings uniformly excellent. Down to balance and simple microphone techniques, probably.

Yes, LPs, Larry!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 911
Yeah - miss those guys. Sigh. The SACDs come very close to the LP sound - which makes me happy. And frankly, I do not miss the LP de-staticing, and de-popping and de-scratching, etc. But I do miss the sound!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Larry R,

If the recording is really good, I don't mind the pops and clicks. Last night, I listened to Stravinsky conducting Rite of Spring. It is a savage performance. I felt like tearing my clothes off and running through the woods nekkid. Yeah!

Did you get my PM?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 916
2C - no - sorry, I did NOT get your PM. Glad you had a "savage performance! Don't have too many of those anymore. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 934
All classical-lovers: Just got (from Acoustic Sounds) two of the best SACDs I've bought yet. Not only are the compositions good - but the recording! Wow! Both are recorded with the DSD process (direct stream digital) and in both cases, not only is the sound clean and clear, but there is an added depth. Mer and I agree - you can almost reach out and touch the instruments! If this is what SACD was meant to be - then bring it on!

First disc: Shostakovich Jazz Suites 1 & 2 and the ballet suite from his "The Bolt." Here, the Russian State Symphony, with Dmitry Yablonsky, does a most credible job with Mr. S in his lighter moments. Highly recommend this IF you like these compositions. Mer, unfortunately, calls the music "elevator music." Sigh. Oh, I know - the "jazz" in the jazz suites is basically not there. But nonetheless, I find the music entertaining, if not stimulating. I find his string quartets more enticing.

Ah, the Mozart - symphonies #5 and 29. Plus the "warhorse" Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, and a nice Serenade.

Again - the DSD recording is crystal-clear. Marco Boni and the Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra. If you like Mozart - this is an album to have! Just plain beautiful!

End of rants - next week, four more discs to review - assuming they get here!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 936
Oops, sorry:

the Shastakovich CD is Naxos 6.110104

the Mozart is PentaTone Classics 5186 002.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2983
Larry,

I am not sure I count myself a "Classical lover" (one could ask... ) but have been recommending that Jazz Suites on Naxos DVD-A for some time. I bought it just because it was a DVD-A, and discovered Shostakovich. Naxos launched their DVD-A catalogue first, and are now porting the titles to SACD, as well. All the DVD-As are good, in my estimation, though the ones recorded in Moscow have ridiculous balance - except that one. And the "Leningrad". I think you will find the original recordings were made with LPCM. At least that is what it says on the DVD-A boxes and information screen. I wonder what it says on the SACD.

See, for example, this thread, "Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:50 am:" We had "the great Mahler debate" around that time, too. Also "Iron Butterfly", if I recall correctly, MR, though that could have been even earlier....

BTW if the "Jazz Suites" are not jazz, even less are they "Classical". They is just good, ingenious, witty music. I was amazed; I had so many inaccurate preconceptions about Shostakovich. These terms tend to put people off, in my opinion. I always think one should try to go to music with an open mind. I am sure we all miss things we would like because of stereotypes. I know I have, and surely still do.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 937
John A. - well, my SACD says plainly that it was originally recorded in DSD. Interesting - did they do a dual-recording? Or lie? (grin)

Thanks for the balance advice. I do not yet have a good CD of the Leningrad - so may go there as well. I've heard many a person say they like the sound of Naxos recordings. If this is an indication, I can see why!

Still wondering whether DVD-A or SACD will be the dominant format? I begin to read where the DVD-A will be killed by Blu-Ray - but heck, that's still years in the future, I think. Meanwhile, I put myself in the SACD camp - mainly because that format holds more of the music I listen to and love. And wow - I'll now try to find more discs recorded in DSD!

I'll venture to say that the DSD-SACD sound is even better than anything I ever heard on LPs. IMHO, of course! Stunning. . .

Away to "Tosca" - the weekly Met broadcast, and one of my favorite operas. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2985
"Away to "Tosca" - the weekly Met broadcast"

...which is broadcast live in UK, on BBC radio 3. Unfortunately it coincided with "Dr Who" (brilliant), and dinner.

I have the "Jazz Suites" DVD-A here. All it really says is "recorded in surround sound at 48 kHz, 24 bit resolution", so I could be wrong about the LPCM. Also "Recorded in October 2001 in the Moscow State Broadcasting and Recording House, Studio 5".

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 939
John A. - same recording place and date, but my disc does say recorded in DSD. Unless they lied! (grin)
Anyway - a very clear recording, and a performance I'd also laud.

More and more fine performances coming out of Europe these days - on small labels mainly - and I tend to enjoy them, at least those I've heard and bought. The smaller houses do tend to "try harder."

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2986
Larry,

"recorded in DSD". Strange. Thanks. I shall try to find out more. I am still sceptical about DSD and what it has to offer over PCM, for sound quality. I read that DSD is difficult, if not impossible, for editing and mixing, and it is recommended to convert DSD to PCM, first. In which case, making the primary recording in DSD would have serious disadvantages. Here we go again. Meanwhile, the average purchaser of recorded music is saying "a plague on both your houses", is thinking of getting an iPod, and wondering if it will store his CD collection. It will.

BTW The Naxos "Leningrad" is great. I rate their entire DVD-A catalogue very highly.

Naxos is a very enterprising company. They must have brought more music to more people than any of the established labels in the last ten years. They use local sound engineers and so "outsource" the recording. Of their DVD-As and CDs, the ones recorded by K&A Associates, for example are all outstanding. Try the Vaughan Williams String Quartets, Maggini Qt. It won the "Gramphone" award a year or so ago. Naxos also looks for musical talent, instead of just big names, for the programme material. This all helps to keep the retails price in the "budget" category. This is a major factor for most people. As the founder and MD says, you can afford to make mistakes. But rarely do. There is a long history of that sort of innovation in the recording industry, but often the labels move up-market as they get bigger, and become full-price, eventually. If I were to start a record label (it is emphatically the wrong time!) I would make my motto "Never underestimate the customer's intelligence, nor overestimate his disposable income". "Classics for Pleasure" started as a great LP label with a similar philosophy.

You mention "Europe", Larry, but the interesting thing about Naxos is that it is the first truly international label with this sort of outlook, as far as I know. People are impulse-buying quality recordings and performances of Bach and Beethoven, also Byrd and Bartok, near supermarket check-outs, the world over. This cannot be a bad thing. Specialist record dealers mostly (not all) tried to freeze out Naxos at first, but they failed. That is also something to applaud, in my opinion.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 940
John A. - thanks for your most informative posting. I just checked the Shostakovich CD case again - quote: "This SACD contains three separate versions of the same programme: 5.1 multichannel surround sound mastered in DSD - 2-channel stereo mastered in DSD - CD standard stereo. Recorded in October 2001 in studio 5 of the Moscow State Broadcasting and Recording House."

I can't speak to editing of DSD, for I know little of its technical make-up. But IF the sound quality on other DSD-mastered discs is as clean as this one, I'm all for it - whatever it is!

A breath of fresh air in the local Sunday paper: large break-out on young musicians in our faire towne. Always good to see the media focusing on something other than politics and murders. Sigh.

I often wonder what it must be like, growing up "gifted," and often being shunned by your peers, who settle for mediocrity and "sameness" in life. Surely, the talented ones have their own version of hell to go through?

Interesting to note in the article - all the very young musicians had Oriental, Jewish or eastern European names. No Smith, Jones or Thompsons.

Back to my eggs and hot peppers - then, onward! Have a fine week ahead, John - and may your Quads sing sweeetly, sir!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 941
John A. - just finished auditioning (on Amazon) the Maggini Quartet and VW compositions. I was afraid of what I might hear - and I was right. The good composer had his good periods - and his bad periods - in my very humble opinion. STring quartet #2 evidences what I consider his bad period, when to my ears everything falls apart and into chaos. Sigh.

At the risk of being labeled "pedestrian," I just have to say that I like my music to have melody and harmony. I have little time or use for music that makes me uneasy or angry. Which is what large portions of the #2 quartet did. Sigh.

I know full well that my friend Two Cents despairs of my ever coming up to his level of music appreciation. He likes Messiaen and most likely Corigliano, I equate them to a kind of aural root canal surgery.

One of the positive aspects (for some) of growing older is that one tends to filter out what one dislikes. My detractors would call it "tunnel vision" (or hearing) I'm afraid. I prefer "editing." Hmmm. . .

With that in mind, I'm afraid I must pass up the chance to buy your suggested SACD.

Think I'll go listen to some Mozart. . .

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1679
"I am still sceptical about DSD and what it has to offer over PCM, for sound quality."

Well of course you are John, my friend, but the greatest skeptics are usually the ones who have never experienced whatever it they are skeptical about. By the way old chap, how did you like the last sacd recording you listened to.

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/32

http://www.superaudiocenter.com

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2989
Larry,

Thanks. For what it's worth, the two string quartets did not grab me, at first. But they do now. They don't sound at all "modern" to me. They are tonal, for a start. Modal, in fact; very retro. But I am a RVW fan. Anyway, with Naxos, if you don't like something, you've only wasted £5 (what's that right now in $?). I've always like the Phantasy Quintet, and the disc is good value just for that 20 minutes or so, in my opinion. That arch-like slow movement with viola. Ah... Recorded in 20-bit, that disc. One of the best sounds on CD, at any price, imho.

MR,

Thank you. About the same as I liked the last tube amp I listened to. But I am weakening. There are a lot of SACD discs, now, that has to be said. Any recommendations for a player? And will I here the difference? Etc. etc.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2990
Sorry, "hear". Must learn to spell.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 942
John A. - if by "tonal" you mean they have tones, you are right! But the first movement of quartet #2 surely cannot be termed "modal?" Metal, perhaps. . . (big grin) Heavy metal? No. . . .

You may be right that the disc-price is fine so I can listen to 2/3 of it - but I seldom buy CDs that way. Picky me. . .

Oh, well - I get older (and older) . . .

Back to pruning my bougainvillea - which has thorns and is actually two-toned: pink and white.

Melodious, that plant! In the style of Delius, I think. . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us