Archive through August 27, 2004

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1281
nice looking pad lar!

no place for 7.1 speakers though! lol.

and yes the surrounds do look a little small.

no center channel?

Silver Member
Username: Wryter

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 193
Well (phew!) Finally figgered out how to cut the pics down to size - not very experienced at that. Making do with 21-in. TV until we can afford a flat-screen one (2018?). Liddle ring atop TV is powered FM antenna. That's it - simple, but "noble." G R I N
Respectfully, Larry R.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 194
Kegger: Yep, seveal folks have told me that I need larger surrounds - but once I get a new subwoofer, I'm hoping that they'll be fine. Don't really want big stuff back there, anyway?
GHIA C - Hey! a fellow "French-Cherokee?" Really! Now I KNOW to be proud of who I am! And John A. be durned! DOUBLE GRIN HERE. . .

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2036
Kegger,

"if you are x and can't change it, well it's still
better to be proud you are then to be ashamed! "

I agree. For some reason I get on my soap box here every weekend. I 'll get off now.

Larry,

Thank for the pictures. Really nice. There is a taste factor in all that. Good looking (and sounding) mains (try toeing 'em in a bit) with sensible stands, plus gorgeous room. Do not apologise for the TV: see our 12", above. Subs are overrated. See Rick's post about those Spendor LS3/5s. 70 Hz, I think he said. I really liked Jan's "Do not disturb; I am listening to music"

Must go. All the best.

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 270
LarryR,

Thanks for posting the pics! Love those black leather chairs! Seriously, those are the coolest things I've seen in all the pics. And, the use of the rug on the wall (MR did this too) is a great idea. Might have to look into that myself but don't think I can afford a real persian. How do you hang a rug?

True, there's some French-Cherokee blood in me. My mother's side of the family traces back to 1066 to General John Benfield of Normandy who fought in William the Conqueror's army. Subsequent generations are traced through England, Scotland and Ireland. The Cherokee part comes from a great-great-grandfather who married a Cherokee woman.

Hopefully, JohnA knows we are being a little tongue-in-cheek when the peacock spreads its feathers! His point (and Ojo and MR) is valid but there's nothing wrong with having a little pride in your heritage. It becomes a problem when you take stances such as "you are either with us or you are against us" ala President W.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2037
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2038
Ghia,

If you have 2 parents, 4 grandparents etc. etc., and a generation is let's say 33 years, then, in 1066, General John Benfield of Normandy was one of 268,435,456 people you could claim as your ancestor, according to my calculator. Probably an equal number were on the other side. And a lot of them were the same person. Never mind, I guess I take these thing too seriously!

That's another pic of Bond, btw. All the best.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 272
Oh, guess I'll have archive that ancestry story. Thanks, John.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 273
LarryR,

Forget the French-Cherokee connection. I'm merely Amerikan.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 275
On further review, I apologize for the terseness of the 2 previous posts. I'm sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 540
Ghia,

Never noticed the terseness - and yes, everyone is entitled to take some pride in their heritage. My comment was merely to point out (and I never really needed to with you people) that being human is more important than being anything else. So many these aren't! Gawd - really deep!

Larry

See, there you go. What a great looking house!
I bet you and Mrs R enjoy it as much as your music and operas.

John A

Bond are okay by me! And consider hands shaken!

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
ThereIgoagainreadingwithoutmyglasses - "So many these days aren't" was the intended sentence.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 276
For clarification, my posts of 5:18 and 5:19 were a result of JohnA's 4:27 post which felt a little belittling to me. My 5:51 post was after a cooling down period and understanding/hoping I misinterpreted his intent and also to apologize for allowing that negative energy into the forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Ghia,

Well, I'd think you'd be right and kudos for your attitude. John would never intentionally belittle any one of the regulars here.

It's just that he can be a bit strange on occasion: mad dogs and englishmen out in the noonday sun and all that!

Kidding John - really and truly!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 196
Ghia C - glad you like the chairs. They were bought in Chicago, at a Scandanavian Import store, when I was still making a good living. They are still available at some specialty shops in big cities. Last time I saw them in Chicago they were selling for $1,500 apiece. Really. I got them for $800 apiece back in the 80s. Teak frames and leather - and they weigh almost nothing, but are about the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in!
Hanging a rug. Sigh. Well, this one is all wool, and weighs a ton. Here's what we did. Got a 1 x 4 board, and screwed three picture-hanging "hoops" on the back. Or you can just drill three holes spaced to match wall-studs. Sink a 10-penny nail or larger in the wall, on an angle upwards. Let about 3/4 inch stick out - to go into the board-holes.
Now - on the Front side of the board - lay it down on the floor, and put the rug so it laps over the board and overlaps about a quarter inch. Then take about a million half-inch Brass brads, and carefully drive them through the rug and into the board. The rug "fluff" will cover the nails, but be sure not to drive the heads Through the rug! Easy does it - and we've hung many rugs that way.
Seriously, I think there are about 50-60 liddle nails in the rug.
For light stuff, such as weavings, we take the ever-popular tack-down "carpet strips" - you know, the wood strips with all those little nails that stick up at an angle?
Well - take out the large nails that go through from the front - and then find studs in your wall. Use about 6-penny nails with heads - or even finishing nails will do fine - and drive them through the strip and onto the wall. Level it, of course!
Then, just take the weaving or small rug, and carefully align it with the top of the strip - and push, push, push the rug onto the nails. We often use an old kitchen sponge to help out - but you'll get "stung" a few times, no matter what.
I have a wonderful weaving from Chimayo, NM, hanging on our bedroom wall - been there for two years now, and hasn't "sagged."
If you're interested in more, I'll be happy to walk you through the steps.
OK - despite John's oft-expressed curmudgeonness, I'm still proud to have Cherokee and French blood in my system. My great great grandfather - a French Canuck - married some sort of Cherokee princess. Other relatives kept records, but I don't have them.
And yes, Ghia, I have often felt "belittled" by John A. Sure he doesn't mean it - but if often comes across that way.
Oh, yes - the Persian. Well, my dear wife had a friend who had a friend who owned a large import company. Seems there was some sort of company fight, and part of the group decided to sell out. They not only sold out - but nearly gave everything away, just for spite, I guess. Anyway, we got the $12,000 rug for - are you ready for this? How about $1,200. Yep, as Kegger would so wisely say. Been authenticated, and has provenance tags, etc. One of my better "finds."
Again - that was back when I was earning very good money. Sigh. Retirement sucks.
Respectfully, larry R.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 197
OOps, Ghia C. My wife says there are way more than 100 brass brads in that Persian. But who's counting? GRIN LarryR.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 278
Larry,

Yes, those chairs are awesome. I've seen similar chairs with chrome frames but the teak really gives them another identity. Very modern but not austere.

Thanks for the tips on the rug hanging. Glad to see Merri keeps you on the right tack, er, track. I'm going to keep my eye out for a rug that would work as a wall hanging in my place - unless, I have a windfall that would allow me to purchase the painting mentioned above.

As long as you have a music system and you can do some traveling and you have someone to share it all with, you're doing ok. Sounds like retirement is blissful! And, if things get too tight, you can always take a profit on the rug! hehehe...

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 34
John A., see what you've done! Everyone suddenly dug up their family tree searching for their roots! Just kidding...

Seriously, the brief exchange of ideas that John and I had about one's roots stemmed from our common contempt of the judgmental attitudes prevalent in the classical music scene (see John's original August 21, 2004 - 06:51 am posting); and to a certain extent, the jazz scene as well. I guess it's safe to say that any self-respecting audiophile/music lover couldn't care less whether the featured violinist is a Russian prodigy, or the drummer is from, say, Brazil, or the bass player is an immigrant from the Far East.

Music is universal. Therefore, it follows that the players who participate in it should not be judged by geographical, cultural, and ethnological backgrounds. Therefore still, it follows that the end-listener has no mind whence the player or the music originated from.

"Imagine there's no country...nothing to kill or die for... Imagine all the people living life in peace." John Lennon was right. How I miss him!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 35
Great photos, Larry R.

Re: pics of my own, my wife and I are in the process of upgrading our Price Club (Costco) home-theater-in-a-box setup to something more worthy of discussions in this beloved forum.

We started with a pair of PSB Alpha Intros LR for surrounds and had the wires run through the wall. You will notice the wires and banana plugs coming out of the wall in one of the links below. The plan is to get (a) the NAD 753 A/V; (b) a Denon Universal player; and (c) a pair of PSB Image 4T's for mains, 8C for CC, and sub.

However, our A/V and HT budget is in jeopardy. A couple of weeks ago, a new "baby" came into our lives. This "baby" had been in the dream stage for the last 20 years. In March, we bit the bullet and decided to plunge head-on into it.

The WAF is not an issue in the A/V HT upgrade. We're equally divided on our interests, yet mutually agreeable on our upgrade plans: I'm 80% audio and 20% video; she's 80% video and 20% audio, but we both want a better A/V system and a new HDTV (we have a 27-inch Sony WEGA)-- see my post on this new Sony direct-view TV.

Anyway, here's the "baby" and the FROG where the future A/V HT upgrade is also planned to be located.

http://www.geocities.com/ojophile

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2039
No offence was intended to anyone here, and I apologise if any was taken. I wrote on August 21, 2004 - 01:20 pm "...there is one reply that is guaranteed to cause offence every time" and it seems I've done it again. I think MR and Ojo take my point. So would John Lennon, I think; thanks for the sanity Ojo! The point is "I am proud to be X" is OK if X is something you chose, worked for, etc. Otherwise it "belittles" those who are not X. None us chose our ancestors, or where we were born. Sorry to be solemn and yes curmudgeonly, but people feeling entitled, by an accident of birth, to something denied to others - who are "not-X" - is one of the recurring problems of the world, in my estimation. Take a look around. How can we be so slow to learn?!

Ojo, I tried mystery tune (see MR's "goodbye" thread) on a Yamaha keyboard, nothing to compare with that baby; you are miles ahead of any hifi for "being there at the performance"! And still have a great audio system planned.

Peace and friendship to all.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 279
JohnA,

Everyone is aware of what you wrote Aug 21 at 1:20pm and I doubt there are many on this forum (at least the regulars) who disagree. While I obviously lack the philosophical insight of you and John Lennon, I actually do understand Lennon's "Imagine" (and am always moved by it/wished more people lived by it) and I even understood your original point. Some of us dumb Americans decided to have a little American fun with the statement but it obviously is too serious of a subject in which to engage levity. We Americans never learn do we? Oh wait! That question exemplifies the attitude of entitlement, doesn't it?.

Please forgive me for being so self-centered (and entitled) as to pick up on Larry's French-Cherokee heritage (whether real or tongue in cheek) and to offer a connection of my own. Whether you believe it or not, there are geneaology trees that trace my mother's side of the family back to 1066 and John Benfield. I doubt you have any interest in it but should you, the following link traces the Benfield family from Normandy to America's own NC & SC. My mother is a Benfield born in NC. Your post of 4:27 in regards to the hundreds of millions of people I could claim in my ancestry, while likely accurate, is condescending (my first impression was right, after all). But,since you can't choose your ancestry there's no point in having an interest in it or telling anyone else about it. Forget geneaology, we're all one big family.

JohnA, I do respect your opinions and wealth of knowledge. But, sometimes you have a self-righteousness that is overbearing. At any rate, you've made your point and because evidently I appear to be (at least in your esteemed estimation) one of the entitled, there's no viewpoint I can have that would be valid so I'll keep further insights (assuming there have ever been any) to myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2040
Ghia,

I intended no offence, and certainly no condescention. Each of us has something like 268,435,456 ancestors in 1066, probably lot more; the average generation time has probably been less than 33 years. If you go back that far, probably most people with any European ancestry at all are related, in some way, to Mr Benfield. But, as MR said, it is deep water, and a long way from HiFi and music. I am sorry I don't understand the last point. "Entitled" to what? And in my estimation? "...there's no viewpoint I can have that would be valid..." What did I say....?! The validity of anyone's opinion has nothing to do with who they are, where they come from, as far as I can see. An opinion stands as a good one, or not, independently of all that. And everyone is equally entitled to hold an opinion, and express it. Sorry if this, too, seems self-righteous and overbearing. It is what I think. I can't see what other option I have. It would be rude not to respond at all. I am, honestly, puzzled!

All the best.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 198
Ghia C - think you may be referring to the Mies van der Rohe chairs - classics, those! These have higher backs and less of a "bend" where seat meets back, so they're more comfortable.
The rug, BTW, is a classic "eye of God" pattern. When my rich doctor-friend was readying a new home, he wanted a similar rug - so he awayed to some hi-end rug merchants here in Naples. Found one with slightly different hues, and about 1-foot larger. He bought it - for the "bargain?" price of $17,000. Gulp. Sure wish I had dat guy's money!!! It's on his living room floor - I've stepped on it many times. Sigh.
Ojo - Great Piano! Wife once tuned pianos, and says you've got a "goodie" there! Had to laugh about your Costco stereo - you oughta see the one Merri prizes in her studio! Talk about embarrassed to discuss! Mer claims it has a Chevy front end and junkpile speakers. She's about right, but it's hers, and she's happy with it.
And - beating the poor dog to death. Sorry, but I have to side with Ghia on the geneology issue here. John - for Goodness' sake - let us have our little corner of fun and pride! We're not trying to say that because we have Cherokee and French blood in our veins that we're "better" than you, or anybody else, for that matter. Have we said that? Have we Implied that? don't think so.
So back off, OK? Enough of the psychological mish-mash, and let us just enjoy conversation about music, equipment, and yes, our lives, which make up our world, and which, on occasion, we have a good time sharing with others. Frankly, this current word-snarl is why I often just scroll past John A's more cantankerous postings.
Ghia - wasn't tongue-in-cheeking- really do have that lineage. As to being "better?" Do all of you remember the "trail of tears?" Cherokees do, as to careful history-readers. Canucks? Hey, they were the, pardon, "nig*ers" of California during the Gold Rush. My family has written accounts of great grandparent and how the men were often dragged through town streets behind horses.
We all have a common heritage, if you believe in such things as Adam and Eve. But we also have our built-in "tribal" pride, earned or not.
OK - shifting gears.
My Rantz - please, sir, post a closer picture of that Indian weaving on your wall. It looks like a classic pattern, and I hope that you take good care of it - bargain or not!
The picture of the staircase brought tears to my wife's eyes - we had a similar wood staircase and wall in our long-ago house up in Black Hawk, Colorado. A mountain chalet that was, if you are to be believed (grin) was, as you describe your home, sorta shaggy outside, but proud inside!
Well, that gets rid of a lot of pent-up frustration! Sigh.
Big Question: anybody out there have a clue as to why This happens? Turn on the amp with FM station - the sound is nice and full.
Turn off the amp, wait an hour or so. Turn it on again - same settings. This time the sound is rather thin - just not the same. Oh, I know, music is different, but announcer is the same, and now sounding sorta tinny.
I can toggle the amp on and off this way, and never have consistent sound. So - what's wrong here? No apparent distortion, just that nagging suspicion that something "isn't right."
No shops in SW Florida that I can trust to check out the Onkyo - would have to send it to an "authorized" repair facility at my cost. Sigh.
Hope somebody may either have had similar experience, or an idea to help (if possible).
Respectfully, Larry R.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 280
JohnA, I think some of this, on my part, is a result of lingering perceptions going back to our past differences of opinion regarding my employer. I frequently find myself in agreement when you make points such as your "X" point but sometimes there is an underlying current received (by me) in which it seems only you are capable of such insight. Probably paranoia on my part.

I'm at work and don't have time for adequate response. Even so, it's probably better for me to let this lie because I doubt I can articulate the issue. Perhaps, its best for me to move on anyway.

Best wishes to all.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1285
allright everyone step back take a breath and gain some composer!

just like ones religion,heritage,political stance
,music choice or color of skin!

some feal very strongly about those and can be very touchy
subjects.

that does not mean they should not be talked about or discussed.

but it also does not mean they should be thrown out blindly
without the thought of the possable repicussions
that may incure!

john obviously does not feal as strongly about his heritage as others.
that is fine it is also fine that others feal very strong and passionette about it.

but john did not say anything to intentional belittle
anyones views.
he merely brought up another touchy subject. and
has stirred some contraversy.

now we all realize it is a touchy subject and need to
deal with it in an appropriate manor.

john will bring on many or spur on many deabates.
and some can be very deep. to me that is the point
of the socalled clan we have hear. otherwise it's
just another ordinary forum that you pass by and
don't come back to.

this does not mean john can say anything he wants
and not have some backlash. but as he has stated many
times and usually before he says it that he does
not mean to dis anyone elses beliefs. from many a
sparring session with john he is very straight forward
with his views and when taken to strongly may affend.
but he will be the first to tell you that he may
have overstepped the bounderies.
but that is john. he is not going to mask his feelings
to appease others.

just realize this is one of those touchy subjects
and from quality discussion something good may be learned.

if you don't care to particapate or get lost in some of the deep discussion
do not contribute until the deabte/discussion has ended.

that's what i do!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 200
Kegger - with due respect - may I borrow one of your better comments in response?
"Yep." Respectfully, Larry R.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1286
ghia please don't let this or any other discussion
push you away from the forum.

not only do your contributions spur conversation.
they are the only womans point of view we have! lol

if this is to touchy of a subject and you feel it should no longer
continue. give the word and i'm sure all will cease!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1287
oh yah by the way my heritage was not toungue and
cheak either.

I am pretty much 50% american indian and 50% irish
both sides of the family.

but yes i do believe most of us spend to much time hear.
even myself! but i'm not going anywhere i have learned
to much hear in the past year to just walk away!
in some respects it keeps me in touch with other
parts of the world and reality!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 201
Kegger: as Indian/Irish, you've surely read of your ancestors' troubles, and accomplishments. Sorry, but it's good to be proud of your heritage.
Like it or not, we all are basically "tribal," and have that in our genes. What we do with our tribal instincts makes the difference between mere pride and overbearing activities.
As to leaving the forum? I doubt that any of us will do that - but twice burned in once learned.
Respectfully, Larry R.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 281
Kegger,

As always, you come through with the greatest clarity and understanding. -----YEP-----

I don't want to censor any conversation or debate on this forum except for my own because at this point I can't figure out if I have a valid point or if I've totally misinterpreted everything.

My apologies to all for any negative energy I've brought on board with this topic. Carry on.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1295
thanks guys/gals.

ghia that's the way i feel on the old dogs thread a lot.

i can't figure half of what they mean on there.
so i generally pass over a lot of it. but hey it's
all good over their most of them understand it.
it's just over my head.

but if there was something on one of the threads that our "clan"
basically particapated on and i felt uncomfortable about
the subject being discussed i would not hesitate to ask
for it to stop.

so if you feel that way speak up! were all friends hear!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 38
Let's put the lid down on Pandora's Box now.

Isn't it great to realize that we are truly human beings after all? Despite the leaps and bounds that technology is taking every day and its impact on the way we communicate and interact as a group, e.g., e-mail, forums, newsgroups, we remain what we are: feeling, rational, civilized people.

We can all laugh now and get back to this forum business.
In the last few weeks, I've been enjoying the songs sung by Stacey Kent and aired over Toronto's all-time, non-profit jazz station, Jazz FM 91.1 Stacey's voice has a clear, sweet timbre and her phrasing is well delivered. Her choice of songs is superb, too: standards, evergreens, and classic jazz tunes. (BTW, my wife and I are proud regular supporters [donors] of Jazz FM 91.1)
Do you wish you could audition CD's at no cost before buying them? Why not visit your local library and ask if they have the ones that you're looking for? If you can inquire on-line, that would even be better. I do it all the time, and fortunately, our local library has a very good selection. I take home the ones that I'm interested in, audition them, and decide which ones to buy and which ones to avoid. The downside? Sometimes the liner notes and even the jewelcase inserts are missing. There are people who take them so they can insert them after they've copied the CD's. Human nature.

In the last 7 years, I've bought a trunk full of CD's wisely, that is, thanks to all the free tryouts.
Larry R. - I have already reserved the "Songs of Auvergne" at our library here for audition. I'm sure I will like it and have already set aside a few $$ for my eventual purchase of it. I will also check out Natalie Dessay's French album.
This is the best forum I've joined. Members can discuss topics and react with civility. I left two other forums (one on piano, the other on jazz) because a simple dissenting opinion would cause other members to foam at the mouth and trap the "subversive" into a corner.
On a final note, here's my favorite mantra, Desiderata by Max Ehrmann (1872-1945)

"Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 222
I agree Kegger and Ojophile. We have far too much in common to let the petty differences drive us apart. Respect. That's the name of this tune, in surround.

On another topic, am I the only one who swears the first few notes of Beck's "The Golden Age" from 'Sea Change' sounds an awful lot like the beginning of the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" ??

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
Ghia,

I too am often amazed with Kegger's insight. There's never been any doubt he's one smart dude. ....YEP..... And this forum would not be the same without him, you, John A and the rest of the usual suspects. So, don't spit the dummy like I almost did, we're all good mates here - but we are all different too and we need to make concessions for our peccidillos.

I can see why you have taken on John A about his "tribal" and "heritage" comments and I think you have a valid point as well as having misinterpreted his comments a little. I think John (and Ojo') was more concerned about the snobbish use of a performers heritage as if it explains why that performer was bestowed special gifts such as a specific talent or insight.

And then, as John does occassionally, went off the wall about it - a bit!

John basically said, "if you are proud to be part x and part Y, you're still part X and part Y even if you are not proud of the fact." So essentially it seems that he's saying there's not much point in being proud about it.

What I think John means (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that using one's heritage as an excuse or explanation of a talent, deed or anything else is nothing but snobbery or just superfluous information - similar to that so oft seen in the art world. My understanding of John is that he is a very learned person and it is in his nature (or a trait born by profession) to pull apart and disect almost everthing with which he comes in contact, and then express his opinion or resulting theory. And in doing so, it sometimes makes him appear a touch condescending because he rattles our senses with his erudition.

And I think it would do us all good to remember that what we have here in this forum are mostly opinions and how we treat them.

So let's all maintain our pride in our lineage - even if some of us are the offshoot from some kicked out convict - then hop into that big melting pot, big enough to take the world and all it's got!

A big hug everyone!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 202
Welllllllll. . . OK (grin)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1298
u give me too much credit rantz! i just play off
what you guys give out.

do you remember how i entered into this little gang!

seems a long time ago that you guys were all girlymen! lol

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 205
Laughing out loud here, gang! Just got an e-mail from a clinical psychologist friend out at Arizona State University. She's beein quietly monitoring this forum - at my suggestion - and says she is grateful. She says she has more than enough information for a paper on abnormal psychology in communication - and I think she's serious about that! Hmmm. . . She told me to impart (she wants to stay far off the forum!) the following:
Man jogging along sees an obese woman trying to jog towards him, waddling and swaying. His first thought: "what a horrible-looking woman." His second thought: "How noble of her to try to improve her life." His third thought: "who the hell asked you?" He chose the third one. (I know I've read that somewhere before - maybe on one of these threads?)
Message conveyed. For whatever reason - don't know, because who the hell. . . well, you know. Back to Mahler's 3rd. Ahhh. . .
Carry on with courage and kindness. Larry R.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 40
Let's all lighten up!

Upload

Cheers!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 283
Ojo,

Thanks for the sensible advice about trying out CD's through the library. Will have to investigate to see what the selection looks like. This suggestion is similar to good advice given in books on "simple living".

When I was visiting Toronto, Jazz 91.1 was one of the stations I listened to. Glad to see you are supporting public radio! I volunteer time (during fundraising drives) and donate money to my favorite public station, WNCW which has an eclectic playlist including blues, bluegrass, rock, country, jazz, big band, etc.

LarryR,

Geezus, man! Some of us were already paranoid enough without having a clinical psychologist anonymously monitoring us! Abnormal, indeed! LOL

I need a serious Mahler fix after this....might even be time for the pathos of Sym 10.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1301
ghia just kick back with a good bottle of wine and
crank up some steely dan.

maybe even give the hemp cones a work out!

"The cuervo gold
The fine columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing"

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 287
Did someone mention Mahler?

Two thoughts: (1) Count me as another admirer of LarryR's awesome chairs. Would like to add those to my collection of mid-century chairs. (2) That photo of the Bond girls/women/dominatrices??? is tres silly. Looks like they just finished a classical rendition of Madonna's "Like a Virg*n". I've only been perusing the pix on this thread. Can you tell? Might've missed something in the text.

Carry on, mighty centurions of the forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
LarryR,

Can you ask your psychologist friend if there is such a thing as "normal" in psychology? The more time I spend with people, the more I'm beginning to believe "normality" is a fallacy.

That'll be twelve cents please. (My two cents on dime store psychology.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
Larry - "please, sir, post a closer picture of that Indian weaving on your wall"

Presto! Rug with undressed JBL-S3611 Surround.

Upload

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 284
Hey 2C! Good to see you pop in! If you didn't see my earlier post, I came across another singer you might like, Tift Merritt. Her first CD is in the alt country category and the new one (out tomorrow) is more R&B (blue-eyed soul). Described her earlier as:

"But, the new one "Tambourine" is a major departure. Definitely more rocking and soulful. If I were making a Tift Martini, I'd start with a little Dusty Springfield, mix in some Carole King, add a drop of Emmylou and Wilson Pickett and a twist of Tom Petty and serve up in a glass rimmed in Muscle Shoals."

Some how I think Merritt would pass on the dominatrix (sp?) antics of Bond! Seems like those girls spend a lot of energy trying to transcend the "classical" "stereotype". But, if this type of marketing brings a new audience around then I suppose there may be some merit in it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
GC,

Tift Merritt. Sounds like the name of a Bond girl (as in Agent 007). I'll have a Tift Martini, shaken not stirred. (The ingredients sound delicious.) And I'll take her on a spin in my Aston, er, Denon.

Wonder if she's related to Stephen Merritt of Magnetic Fields? Will have to google it.

As for whether chicks wearing leather will bring in a new audience to classical music, Thoreau's line comes to mind: Beware all enterprises requiring new clothes, especially leather (last two words are mine. Back in the 19th century, wearing leather probably was looked on differently, unless it was the shiny black variety.)

I wish I had something to share in this Discoveries thread. I've actually been rediscovering Nina Simone after seeing "Before Sunset"--highly recommended film if you like brainy, slightly self-conscious, chatter.

All the best.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 209
Yo - in the midst of preparing chicken provencal, but quickly - welcome 2 cents - glad you like the chairs - they're favorites of mine!
My Rantz - looks like a fine Central American weaving - most likely from Aztec or Mayan themes, and am looking in my references to see if I can find. Looks just grand! Love those colors! The pyramids at Chichen Itza and Cobal must have been stunning before all the paint wore off!
2 cents - there IS such a thing as normal psychology, its found in a small tribe down around Fiji somewhere, I think! GRIN
More anon - my chicken burneth. Larry R.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 403
Hi All,

Great thread! Fine systems and interiors. Wish I had a digital camera. I would be honored to be invited to listen to any of them. I would enjoy the company as much as the music!

BTW-My father was born in England, and my mother in Sicily. Yes, it was a classic World War 2 love story. I quess that makes me a first generation American. I think the sooner everyone on this planet realizes there is only one race-THE HUMAN RACE-with only different customs and cultures, the better off we'll all be.

Cheers to all from your forum friend!

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Rick

Not a Pommillian. Geez, no wonder you want to be called a human - WW2 has a lot to answer for!

[Big cheesy grin]

And welcome to this thread. It got off track for a moment or two, but hopefully it's back in the groove again.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 42
Sem's post: On another topic, am I the only one who swears the first few notes of Beck's "The Golden Age" from 'Sea Change' sounds an awful lot like the beginning of the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses"

Sem, we didn't mean to ignore you. I had to wait till I got home to listen to what you had suggested. The intro to both songs is indeed similar. Actually, they use the same chord progression, albeit in a different key. But that's a typical chord progression: root chord to a minor 2nd. In Beck's "The Golden Age", it's E Major (the root key) to F-sharp minor (the minor 2nd). The Stones' "Wild Horses" has it in G (root) to A minor (minor 2nd).

The E Major scale has the following notes:

E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D# - E
The first note is the root. The second note, therefore is F#

Didn't mean to sound like a music teacher there, but I couldn't resist it. Sem, I hope you didn't get turned off by this explanation.

Ciao,
Don

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 43
Larry R, Why are my walls pink? Get me the doctor, please. I need my medication. Now!

John A., you're awfully quiet!

Two Cents, welcome to this interesting thread.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 210
Ojo - your walls are pink because my chicken provencal sorta exploded as I took it out of the oven. Went a long, long way! Whoops!!!!!
My Rantz - please look closely at your weaving. Down towards the bottom - right under the last "stripe." Do you see some tiny marks, that look like pyramids with tops off? Also look at top of weaving - same area. If there are some of those ziggurats, as they're often called, tell me how many there are. It often denotes tribal or area designation. Also - do you know the point of origin of the weaving? Might help my browsing to see if I can find info on it. Thanks.
Ghia C - paranoid or not, my friend, y'all are going to make a Great research paper! GRIN
Resp-T-filly Larry R.
Sudden thought: Hey! I'll be in that paper, too!!
Sigh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Ojophile,

Thanks for the welcome. I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Two Cents. How do you do? I look forward to reading your erudite posts.

John A. is probably quiet because he's asleep in his time zone. I'm sure when he bounds out of bed and reads all this, he'll have a word or two thousand to add ;o)

Larry R, how did your chicken provencal turn out? I've always wondered whether it's good form to listen to opera while dining. There's dinner theater, but no dinner opera. Why is that?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 44
Two Cents,

I'm doing well here in the Great North. I've read many of your previous posts, that's why I was glad to see you join our organized chaos here. Keep posting, please.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 223
Ojophile,

Thanks for the explanation, of course it went over my head but don't worry, it didn't turn me off.
My brother is a musician. In fact, years ago he toured much of Europe, while still in high school, as the keyboardist in an all-star jazz ensemble. Me? I work in the computer industry and don't know a major from a minor. I guess its the old left brain - right brain at work here in our family.
I am amazed at the sounds he can make at the piano; he is amazed that I can build and fix his computer. :-)

Anyway, thanks for confirming my suspicions, (at least I think you did). :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
"Sudden thought: Hey! I'll be in that paper, too!!"

Well, I was gonna ask you Larry, has your lady psychologist friend had you on the couch yet?

Can't find any of those marks - the rug might be ring-in, though it does look hand made and much of the stock from the shop we purchased it from does come from Mexico. The owner even showed us photos of the weavers from one of their trips there. Can't remember the area, but I recall it rang a bell from a place in a novel I'd read. Darn this age thing!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 46
Re: first line, is that a double-entendre?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 47
Sem, your suspicions are confirmed. You can tell your buddies about it.

BTW, I'm a computer programmer, too (self-employed). I'm also an amateur musician --- actually, a jazz pianist wannabe

That's why Larry R's earlier remarks, retirement sucks scares me. My wife and I figured out a long time ago that we will have to continue working for a long time. I mean, a l-o-o-o-o-n-g time if we want to maintain our vices and bad habits.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
"Re: first line, is that a double-entendre?"

Actually, it could be a triple!

:-)

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 48
Ménage a trois!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 224
I hear you Ojophile, I have two "kids" in college. My wife and I also did some figuring and retirement is out of the question. In fact we figured I'll need to work till I'm 178 years old just to break even. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
Guys and Gals,

There has been a lot of confusion about the images our friend Kegger sent in of himself. People have been wondering: which one is the real Kegger?

Well, he sent me the real photo after making me promise I would not reveal it. But heck, some promises just have to be broken. Introducing the real Kegger:

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 225
Awww God!! Please, bring back the fat a$$ ba$tard with the earing!!!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 49
Omigod! Larry R., call the lady doctor, quick! Quick!

For Chrissakes, is she still on the couch?! Get her off the couch!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1302
you got the pic messed up rantz that's the one i sent you of!

IF OZZY WAS HIS WHOLE FAMILY!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 211
LOL at the pic - hey, guyz, I'm in good company with folk who look lyke dat! (grin)
Two Cents - the chicken turned out fine, though my wife opined that it wasn't quite as "piquant" as it sometimes is. (shhhh -forgot to add the pepper sauce!)
My Rantz - OK, no zigs - which means that it probably came from central Mexico, where there are hundreds of weavers who accurately copy many of the Central American themes. Doesn't mean that it's any less valuable to you, though! I refuse to put dollar values on my things in terms of "re-selling" or "investment." I know what everything cost, and that I can (shudder) no longer afford any of the things I bought years ago. No, the dollar signs attached to my stuff are just indicators. I buy for personal joy, not for business purposes. So - enjoy your weaving! I'll still try to find out more, if possible.
Oh, yes - there ARE places offering dinner and operatic "arias" - but I've never heard of trying to listen/watch a full opera whilst eating. I'd be up applauding and bravoing and forgetting any table manners I'd ever larned! GRIN
And no - the lady hasn't had me (blush) on her couch - only at her dinner table! So thar! Hmm...
Sem and Ojo - retirement. Ah, yes. . . I've found that those wonderful "golden years part-time jobs" just don't seem to come true. If you're a musician or an accountant - you have a chance. As a retired (and recovering) journalist, I find that, unless I want to write one of those tedious, onerous, boring "freelance columns," well, they ain' no work for 68-year old guys. My wife, as an artist, tries to get whatever she can from sales and teaching - but even she, at 56, is "over the hill" to the Great Hiring Mopes.
So - keep yer day jobs as long as you can - cost of living keeps rising - my pension doesn't. Words to the wise. Sigh. Larry R.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
Kegger my friend, it's all right. Really. The operation was a success. I keep telling you that. Please everyone, tell Kegger, the $15,000 operation was well worth it.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 212
Shhhhh. . . (Mahler) there, I mentioned it again. LR

Silver Member

Post Number: 555
Well, there's nothing like a little fun and a few laughs to put things in perspective. Here's to good on-line friendship and sportsmanship. And Kegger, I promise I won't post that photo of you taken before the operation. Really.

Now, back to the couch - er work!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1303
ALLRIGHT HEARS MR. RANTZ AND HIS RUG!

LOL.Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1304
MR. RANTZ IS AN EXCELENT FISHERMEN!

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
TOUCHE!

My friend, clever retort, but quite inappropriate imo. If anything, the t-shirt should read Master Bates because that sort of stuff just makes me go psycho!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1305
SORRY ABOUT THE TSHIRT!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1306
i was not meant in disrespect.

it's just if you know anything about beavis and butthead.
they wear tshirts with sayings on them for bands
and i thought a changeup was needed.

but yes i may have gone overboard.
that's why i threw the fishermen thing in their.
"a master at baiting his hooks"

sorry my friend if you took affense to it!
i was hoping it would amuse you!

but again my sick humor is too much! major appologies sir!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1307
how about this one!

better?Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
Kegger, I know it was meant as a joke and that no offence was intended. The line I draw is not the same as others and I thank you for respecting that. We're cool my friend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
Hey now that's better! And I appreciate the effort.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1308
you are the last person i would want to upset!

and i am glad that you accepted my appologie!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1309
yu know it took a lot of work to get that wall right!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2041
Cool.

Rick; Recommended, Captain Corelli's Mandolin. The book, not the film.

Ojo, 2c; Glad you're introduced!

Kegger; I recommend you stop opening beer bottles with your teeth....

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
Kegger, sorry, but I was taking time to think how I could explain. I'm not a prude - really - and I don't mean to be the censor sheriff here, I just have a point of view which often differs from others. You chose to respect that where others may have chosen just to abuse. You did not upset me in the least, my friend, in fact you've just gone up another notch or two in my book!

I really do have to get back and do some work - and I said I was cutting back here. Sheesh!

Later amigo!

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 404
Larry,

If your psychologist friend is having a field day with this thread, take her over to "OLD DOGS".

But she should be forwarned: HOLMES may be watching. (LOL!)

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2044
Rick,

The lady's method of therapy is probably more effective than most.

Holmes as voye_r*? Surely not.

2c,

I think Bond was probably photographed just after playing Ride of the Valkyries.

----
*The following words are not allowed on this discussion board:
voye_r
Please revise your post to remove the words indicated above.
----

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 214
Rick, et al - Oh, she's been on the Old Dogs thread - copied much of it, indeed! I'm sworn to keep her comments to me "secret," so all I can say is that a lot of you (not all) will be part of a proposed doctoral thesis that her office-mate is working on now. She's tracking a variety of online "chat" forums, and is focusing on the differences between language used online and that used in day-to-day communication among people.
Because of the "anonymity" she posits that the communication online may be a better revelation of people's true feelings and thoughts than face-to-face or even e-mail postings. If that makes her into a PhD - well, good for her! I'm promised a copy of the thesis once it is done. No names, naturally! GRIN

Sem and Ojo - if you really want the sob-story of my thorny retirement and how to avoid similar disasters, send me a private message. Otherwise, forget it and live happier lives! (grin)
Am reveling in better sound (OK, it is my OPINION that it is better sound) from my stereo since I took Jan Vigne's advice and put a noise filter on my electric plug. My wife noticed it, too, so there must be solid voodoo there! (grin)
But - maybe it was just those donations to the hurricane fund, after all? Sigh.
BTW - been looking/dreaming about SACD/CD/DVD players - and CNET reviews has interesting things to say about the upcoming Denon 2910 - maybe even affordable discounted for poh foke like mee.
Sorry to say, CDs on my liddle JVC still sound gnarly.
The Polk speakers, BTW, sound much better now that I've cranked down the treble 4 db and boosted the bass 2 db. For those of you in the "don't touch the tone control" camp, all I can say is that I came away from the Santa Fe opera (yes - ANALOG!) dreaming of "natural-sound" and the amp setting helps me toward that goal.
OK - enough drivvle from me. Have a, well, you know. . . Respectfully, Larry R.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 405
Larry,

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think i said in one of my posts on "Old Dogs" that there were probably a dozen 3rd year psych students having a field day monitoring that thread.

Perhaps she could give us her take or some insight on the psychological damage that nuns with rulers can cause. Oh-No! I haven't heard from Jan for a while. I hope he's still not sniffing the paint fumes.

Mr. Vigne! Jan, are you ok buddy................?

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 219
Rick - you can find Jan on the Old Dogs thread. Guess he shuns this one - for good reason?
He's working with me on my gnarly FM reception problem at the moment.
Next step for me - plug the Comcast cable into the FM receiver, and see what happens.
BOOM? Gee, I hope not! Larry R.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 221
Rick - plugged receiver into cable jack - and just got loud static, as I feared. Sigh.
Well, there's always CDs! (grin) LarryR.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1311
john i did enjoy your bond pic.

that would make me go see them!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 286
JohnA,

What is your opinion of the musical merits of Bond? I've only heard snippets of their music...not enough to form an opinion.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 293
Evidently the musical merits of Bond doesn't stimulate conversation. How about the patent Microsoft has on an apparatus that uses the human body for transmitting data and power including an audio device that would take on the appearance of a hearing aid?

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/ netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,754,472.WKU.&OS=PN/6,754,472&RS=PN/6,754, 472

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Ghia,

John A had to go to Canada on Wednesday for (I think) work committments. He did say on one of the threads that he'd be tied up this month but would try to stick his nose in if he could get the chance. I saw Bond briefly in a movie and I can't for the life of me recall what it was. It was only a fleeting moment, not enough really to appraise their talent. If I think of it I'll let you know.

The content in the link you gave is astonishing but in some ways gives me the heebie jeebies - I wonder if future (or today's) technology will turn out to be more frightening than beneficial.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 294
Oh, Canada! Would love to be there right now as it must be cooler and less humid than here.

MR,
That link gives me the heebie jeebies too....and, I work at Msft! I'm sorry but the idea of using electrodes so my body can transmit data or power to devices is not a place where I want to go.

Actually, the use of electrodes to transmit data is not necesssarily a new idea. My dad recently received a cochlear implant to help him hear and it involved the implanting of electrodes attached to nerves.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
Ghia - I have to say that the Cochlear device is one of the best advances in technology in recent times. I hope it improved things for your father.

And tell Msft that they must use technology for good and not evil. Send a memo :-)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 295
Thank, MR! The cochlear implant has made a tremendous difference already. That is one technological advance for which I'm thankful!

If "good" is profitable, they'll do it! lol. Msft is just a paycheck for me right now until I figure out what I want/can do that would be more fulfilling to me and more useful to society while also making a living.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 50
Ghia,

If it's any consolation, it's also hot, hazy, muggy and humid here. Humidex is in the 30°C to 35°C range (or 86°F to 95°F). We've had unsettled weather all summer long. Not much of a summer, and September's right around the corner.

Keep cool.
Don

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
Ghia,

Just read your comment on the "Phono" thread. Seems to me you'll soon have your BF wearing Brylcream and you'll be jiving in your Bobby Sox.

And I thought getting the Elvis DVD-A was a big retro step! You'll have to rename this thread "Re-discoveries"

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 114
What scares me most with that Msft patent is that it could be granted. I mean, anyone who read about Dr. Frankenstein would understand that electricity can pass through a human body. And I don't think Thomas A. Edison just by coincidence happened to connect an electrical power source to a lightbulb. Msft has "discovered" that the can connect one certain source (amplifier) via one certain conductor (human body) to another electrical device (loudspeaker). Common knowledge and common sense, long before Billy G. was even born!

I'm not 100% anti-Msft, they've reached market dominance by skillfully providing what market have been willing to buy. But realizing they are powerful enough to achieve this patent really makes me feel sick.

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 115
Ghia, do you think you can lure a certain person over to Kegger's place, to see if he's any good as speaker cable. We'll play it loud...

Someone who knows
Unregistered guest
Prof. Moriarty is in league with Msft.

Holmes
Unregistered guest
Watson, we must leave Switzerland at once. We'll find the nun another time. Moriarty has joined forces with Gates. Untold evil could be unleashed. Hurry my good man............

LR Wryter
Unregistered guest
Well, gang, I've finally realized that I'm up against a small group of friendly souls, with which I have little in common, or much to add. Thus, I feel it necessary to terminate my connection, and move on in life. I've found more Soul Mates on the Gramophone forum, and thus will transfer my energy to that site. Thanks to all who have helped - I wish you all the bestin the world, for there is much on your forum worthy of serious attention. God Bless - - Larry Roderick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us