Fog of War

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 222
After watching Fog of War, I urge everyone who cares to think about the state of the world to see this movie. It's a documentary by Errol Morris on Robert McNamara (Secretary of Defense during the Kennedy and Johnson adminstrations) and his views on the cold war and war in general. Fascinating as a portrait of McNamara, a history lesson, and an interesting historical perspective of current affairs, i.e., Iraq. The DVD has scenes that were deleted from the theatrical release that are worth watching. And since this is an audio forum, the understated but effective score is by Philip Glass.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 663
Is this a documentary?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 127
This is a worthwhile documentary that is absolutely riveting. McNamara seems much more human than when he was in power, although still very much full of himself. I'm not a big fan of Philip Glass, but the musical background is brilliant.

I had not realized what a hawk Johnson was about Viet Nam, and I have to believe Kennedy wouldn't have escalated that war to the extent it was.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 225
John S.

You're absolutely right about the movie being riveting. That's hard to believe considering only one man is interviewed in the entire movie. But McNamara is a fascinating, complex character. Morris also artfully blends in archival footage, original footage, and private conversations between McNamara and JFK and LBJ. There's a nice flow to the movie that's underscored by Philip Glass's music. It stands up with the best documentaries I've seen, including Morris's own "The Thin Blue Line."

Username: Letusc

Silchar, Assam India

Post Number: 2
where can I download this

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1544
Yep this is an amazing film, and for a documentary it moves pretty briskly.

Phillip Glass's amazing score probably had a lot to do with that.

Should be required viewing in every US History class.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3367
Magneta,
Are you asking if you can get this documentary for free?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1932
Bleh....

A documentary by anybody appointed under those administrations should be labeled as 'non-fiction" with an asterisk.(at best)

The opposite of reality is more like it....

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 409
'Nam....
55,000 American lives lost for what? Unfortunately absolutely nothing.
Iraq...
So far, 1850 and counting. Quagmire yesterday and the same today.

It's a good thing President Etch-A-Sketch has only two years left. Heh-heh-heh HEH

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 815
Two Cents

Sounds interesting "Fog of War" score by Phillip Glass, like to listen to that as I hear some of his works on classic fm, as from what I've read it's a documentary, is this last years film documentary or this years, has it maybe in for a 2005 academy award for best documentary short?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1565
Wonder how long it'll be until we see Rummy and these other Bushian chickenhawks appear in their own "Fog of War" type documentary...

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1936
the liberal jackasses have no clue. I guess thats why they keep losing key elections.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1575
Here's some classic Republican CHICKENHAWK in action (Mama McCamey):

Staff Sgt. Jason Rivera, 26, a Marine recruiter in Pittsburgh, went to the home of a high school student who had expressed interest in joining the Marine Reserve to talk to his parents.

Jason McCamey, 19, does push-ups under the supervision of his recruiter, Staff Sgt. Jason Rivera, at the Armed Forces Recruiting sub-station on McKnight Road in Ross yesterday. Marine recruits meet weekly with their recruiters for physical training and pep talks until they leave for boot camp.

It was a large home in a well-to-do suburb north of the city. Two American flags adorned the yard. The prospect's mom greeted him wearing an American flag T-shirt.

"I want you to know we support you," she gushed.

Rivera soon reached the limits of her support.

"Military service isn't for our son. It isn't for our kind of people," she told him.

FOR FULL ARTICLE, click below:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05223/552161.stm

=========

All these wingnuts either dodged military service during Vietnam or have military-aged kids that they would never ever dream of actually sending over there to fight and die in their bogus war...they're all too happy to show off their little flags and patriotic bumper stickers as long as it's OTHER people's children who do the bleeding and dying.

SQUAWK! SQUAWK! SQUAWK!

Anonymous

darn straight, Ed. That piece perfectly exposes the kind of shameless cowardice and hypocrisy that drives this administration and its stooges.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us