Silent Hill region 2 DVD

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1543
UploadUpload

"Stillness is the most freighting sound"

Silent Hill based above the popular video game, it's a dark tense thriller with some of the scariest designs by Patrick Tatopoupos, mind to place the viewer at an uneasy and restless state of mind in this alternate world turned upside down where the folks of the once Silent Hill, are now the damned for the wrongful deed they have brought down upon themselves.

So I would no doubt expect by now some of you might have seen this frightening film, I mean it jolted and disoriented and distorted my mind with a final conclusion that makes you think!

Well at least the end credits had a pleasant musical ending that was what I call a (chillier cabinet) relaxing and thank heavens above that's over because I don't think I can sleep now!

Sound design: Now even this had me looking for my mobile phone when at 4 minutes and 19 seconds a Nokia standard ringing tone sounds, and I'm looking around, even thou the sound is played over the front stage JBL control 5 (three-screen) very impressive.

When the characters enter the world of Silent Hill, all hell is unleashed, the eeriness of the stillness in the sound sometimes is the key to hyping you're auditory senses the smallest sound is probably one of the creepiest sounds where all of suddenly it drops to nothing. Suddenly without warning it ascends to high levels this presented no problems for the JBL control 5 sounds where panned very effectively over the three-screen, footsteps like running down the deserted street from left to center created a realism not heard that often.

Re-recoding mixers Lou Solakofski, Todd Beckett, Mark Zsifkovits have produced a grand six-track Dolby stereo digital mix that will strand on it on head for quite a while until someone decides to re-mix it, I hope not it's an on par with Aliens and other classic Sci-Fi horror films in this genre.

LFE.1 is present thought most of the parts where it is mostly needed and it's usage is without strain or effort on the JBL 4645 lows extend down to 25Hz, with the fiery scene where Alice Krige, wants to burn the so called witch! The flames lick up so high you can feel the energy coming of it as it rolled over me at 110dbc!

The repositioning of the JBL control 5 added a good piece of low end at the opening with the waterfall. (Sean Bean) who plays Christopher De Silva, dialogue was very natural and deep in certain parts of the film. When he's asking questions about Silent Hill in the car to (Kim Cotes) who plays inspector Thomas Gucci, it was if Sean Bean was in the front row, and this is all down to some very good ADR work done by the ADR crew on the film.

(Laurie Holden) plays Officer Cybil Bennett, helps out during the most intense moments on Silent Hill, armed with only a single sidearm and two magazines, is this enough to defend her and Radha Mitchell who plays Rose De Silva, the mother now looking for her adopted child Jodelle Ferland who plays two duel roles Sharon and mysterious, Alessa who lives in Silent Hill.

Split-surrounds have a subtle approach but merge well with the JBL control 1, where it's hard to tell if there active or not, but they where quite active enough during the opening with trucks and cars driving over a bridge with a thundering roaring sound, the surrounds where in the centre back surround mode during the films viewing. The sound was mostly forward oriented there is the odd batch of films like (Darkness Falls) 2003 where the split-surrounds open up to full wideness!

During the end credits at 115 minutes and 39 seconds there is a nice mellow music to chill out on.

Image: Now this a darkly lit film to the story the edge it requires, some scenes are so very vague it's almost impossible to see has if you have been pulled into this terrifying world. The early scenes have a nice clearness that isn't distorted until you crossover into Silent Hill, if you so dare too!

This is not for the nervous or the faint of heart its best watched with friends, or with the lights turned up, but that would defeat the object of being scared, "it's a sure cracker of frightening film".

Technical details

Certificate: 15

Region 2 DVD

Running time: 120 minutes

Aspect ratio: scope 2.35:1 Panavision (anamorphic enhanced)

Cinema sound realise: Dolby Digital SR-D, dts SDDS

DVD sound realise: Dolby 5.1 with (split-surrounds)

Year of realise: 2006

DVD year of realise: 2006

Ratings

Picture 8/10

Sound 10/10

Overall rating 9/10

If you liked Silent Hill, try (The Wicker Man) or (Darkness Falls)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3402
i dont think it was very good. it was a C movie. the visuals were amazing, but the plot seemed wayy to complex and it seemed that the directorjust ended the movie cause they couldnt think of anything else.

i know people say that its just like the game, and you have to play the game (whole game) to understand the movie, but they should have explained more in the movie. I also though they did pend enough time on the monsters that were great in the games, like pyramid head etc

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1545
bassman3

That is what I thought about the ending, and I have never played the video game this film was scary enough!

My thoughts of the ending was she and her adopted daughter where still trapped back in that alternate world of "Silent Hill" did you notice the fog surrounding the image!

And her husband thought she was back home when in fact she was, but trapped between the two worlds, it's plausible.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10785
Awful movie, Ash!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1552
Berny

LOL

Perhaps we should exchange minds! Then you we like it and I well hate it!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10794
Perhaps indeed!

Give me your take on Ultraviolet.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1553
Berny

You mean this title? I had to look it up is it hot for sound?

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10803
That's the one!

I thought so, but you are much more critical about sound and ambient effects than most people I know:-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3434
i know how it ended andy,

i am just sayin that there was too much going on in the movie at one time. Like in the middle of the movie where they tried to make everything too complex. it was creepy (pretty creepy) but i think the middle of the movie tried to hard to make it complex yet, understandable. they could have cut-out al of that middle talking and stuff, and just had the ending and you would know exactly what happened.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1554
bassman3

LOL

It's how it sounded that counts the most with today, years ago story was the plus point of the plot, and today the mixers are the stars of the show!

I leant about Silent Hill via a small spoiler and it didn't distract me from the presentation!
Upload

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3450
i thought the ending was too predictible, or maybe im a good movie guesser. But i knew that she was going to get somehow trapped in silent hill somehow.

and the ending isnt just what counts man, the ending is just to compliment the overal movie including the beginning and expecially the middle (caue thats where most thought and cleverness is supposed to come in). Yes, sound is great for someone like you, who always posts about how this movie presentation is awsome, but movies dont win awards alone for sound. Its the storyline that counts in every movie. I would guess that most poeple of course like the sound of a good movie, but your watching a movie, to be entertained by the plot, not the sound..

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6129
i thought it was an awesome movie, went and saw it in the theater twice!!:-)

it did get a bit complex, but the monsters....were just...intense!!!!! to say the least.

the janitor was by far the creepiest!!!

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 784
I just saw this movie, and can someone explain to me what the hell happened ? did I miss something for that kind of a ending ?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3821
lol. no. i didnt end too good. it was an OK movie, and i realy didnt find it really creepy. i did at times, but i felt that there should have been alot more focus onthe monsters in the movie.

\the ending was just that the mom and the duagher were in the silent hill world (cuz they were stuck there) and they were like walking in their house, but in their world. thats why the husband thought that he felt some kind of presence.

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 788
So thats it ? how did they end up in that world, when the dad and cop went to the town and they seem to be fine ?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3833
the dad and cop went to the town at the end and couldnt find them. they are still in the town of silent sill, but in the "real silent hill". they are stuck in the world of silent hill, while the dad and everyone else are in the real world. and yes, thats it! lol

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 807
lol, you said silent hill 3 times in the same sentence..sounds funny. What a stupid ending...I hate when movies do that

Username: Atow

Post Number: 3
I never played the games. I was told just to play them instead of watching this.

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 849
movie was OK, but as far as an adaptation of the game, no. in the game the main character was male. no biggie there, and the first half of the movie, where she is going through the town being chased by different creatures, that as pretty true to the game. But....when they brought in the idea that everything was caused by this cult....no, in the game, scientists had screwed things up and opened up a portal to another dimension....where the whole religion thing came from,I have no idea....the movie was ok, but did not follow the game very well, as for the ending....I really hope there won't be a Silent Hill 2

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1665
Wolfman

A very good valid point you made there mate. I remember seeing a friend playing the game last year I think anyway good statement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us