Archive through August 14, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 524
How about pink noise the wall of raw sound.......

Silver Member

Post Number: 525
Paul

You really like the SVS lets see a picture of her, go on be a devil.....

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1491
LOL...

You say that as if I havnt already posted the pic 100 times.

Username: Edster911

Post Number: 1
Hallo there.

Handy Andy,

SVS does have a website.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Mate you are trading on thin ice, with me and few others as well and time for redeeming your self as long passed, so again watch your step...

Username: Edster911

Post Number: 2
Aww I can't redeem myself anymore? What a shame.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1501
Hmmmmmmmmm........
I have the sudden urge to watch a movie. A wacky comedy maybe??

I think I'll watch "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Later

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1079
Paul, now THAT'S a good one, and I'd even consider buying it! Phoebe Cates in a red bikini...yum!

Don't think it'd give your SVS much of a workout though.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 94
Andy, you sly dog. Art began this thread by asking that you not post any pictures and here you are trying to goad Paul into posting a picture of his SVS. Had he posted it, that would've opened the door for you, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
oh Jim, surely you don't think Andy's that devious do you? hallo!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1502
I changed my mind, and decided on a western. I watched a Clint classic..."Two Mules For Sister Sara". It's not one of his best, but still fun nevertheless, and no......definitely not one to give the SVS a workout. I'm saving up for that tomorrow evening:-) I'm going to buy a new movie tomorrow, but havent decided what. Whatever I get, it certainly will be a movie with a killer soundtrack.

The final battle scene was hilarious. Everytime someone got shot, they'd scream madly before dropping to the ground dead......LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1503
If andy wants to see my SVS, he can go to the Home Theater page, and look at the photos in the Bragging area.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
Yep love those spaghetti westerns! Sometimes they are unintentionally funny, but most of the time they just work very well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 561
"Phoebe Cates"
From " Gremlins" fame, hay Paul we got one of them on this page some goes be the name superpest AKA 911!!!!!

fingersaretoobig!
Unregistered guest
phoebe cates was one finnnee lookin women..mmmmm mmm. same with that chick kim director..wooow

Gold Member

Post Number: 1537
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

FRIDAY BEER, PIZZA, AND MOVIE NIGHT HAS ARRIVED!!!

Well, almost anyway......

I bought 3 new movies to watch tonight......

Poltergeist......
We already have parts 2,3 and they were the first 'scary' movie my daughter liked and was able to watch all the way through. She's really looking forward to watching the 'origional' this evening for the first time.

Under Siege.....
Considering that I already own about 10 seagal movies, I have no clue how this alluded my DVD collection until today.

US Marshals......
With Snipes and Tommy Lee Jones. I saw it in '98 when it was a new movie, and figured it would have a good LFE track and fun to watch again.

Whoah@!!! I've already put down a few Heine's, and time to cut the grass in the back yard. When Im finished with that, ...............then, it will be movie time!!!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 129
OK, it took a while to catch up. Edster, you talk me into the Ascends and I find out there's a place making great speakers here in WA for $399 pair. OUCH!! See Paul for this one.

Anyway, on topic, Edster, Pretty Woman and Sleepless in Seattle, BAD - OUCH that hurts. I was with you up until then.

Anonymous, lay off Andy or we'll both kick your butt. I'm old, slow, can't hear that well BUT I taught Jackie Chan everything he knows. Well, actually I learned it from a Santa Clara U student who went to the same master as Bruce Lee and introduced me to the Brucester in S.F. (I think I could'a taken him, at least after he died.) In fact, why as no one mentioned any of Bruce's flicks, since they started the Kung Fu surreal genre? Fists of Fury, Enter the Dragon and on.

So, what's the recommendation for large HT sound tonight, Paul, Edster, Art, Andy, Barnacle, someone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1538
LOL.....look up.

I listed mine in the previous post. While the first should be fairly light in the LFE department, the following two shouldnt disappoint.

OK,Im out for real now.

Laterz..

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1040
Yeah Paul I'm having an Obsidian Stout listening to Cassandra Wilson "Traveling Miles". Just Picked up the special edition 3 disc 'Blackhawk Down", and "Callas Forever" (about an opera singer I'm sure you'd puke). It's going to be a great friday. My birthday is monday and I leave sunday morning for a holiday in Seattle. All is beautiful.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1041
"Under Seige" is my favorite Seagall flick. And Eddie c'mon there are some great shots of Seattle in "Sleepless".

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 526
David , if you have not seen Hostage then thats a great one. Another that slipped under the radar is Spartan with Val Kilmer what a great flic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
Ahhhh.......

My daughter loved Poltergeist......
She's next door playing, and my my wife and son are out shopping.

It's time to listen to "Undere Siege" nice and loud to get that SVS kickin'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
"Go into the light."

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
"Under Siege" was nominated for the Academy award in 1992 for best Achievement in sound, but lost to "The Last of the Mohicans" any "Under Siege" is a "seagull" classic, and the weaponry sound effects nicely recorded and mixed too.

"Something rare," the fight scenes are also nicely done with attention to detail, and "Foley" is fantastic in it, check out "Foley" Paul, she is nicely done?

Silver Member

Post Number: 569
Hallo there

All

"Hamburger Hill" six-track Dolby stereo with mono surrounds, lots of weaponry sounds mortars napalming and a classy score by "Phillip Glass" too, like I like his other works to hear them on "classic fm" the classic radio station for relaxing, don't get me wrong at all guys, I do like your "Madonna" too with her clothes on in performance.

So "Hamburger Hill" it is not that I'm going to start running it at 0db THX level at 02:14hrs later I'll be doing a test with it, which is between 20Hz and 40Hz!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
just saw "Antwone Fisher"---very good, just a few clumsy new-age-pop-psychology moments toward the end, but overall very good 2 hours.

BTW does anyone know if the actress in this movie, Joy Bryant, is related to Kobe Bryant? She was a total stunner, whoa!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 521
Steven Seagal is humorous to watch. Under Siege was definitely a great flick, especially with some of the supporting actors like Tommy Lee Jones, the guy who played the C.O. did well too although his latest work kind of stained his performance IMO.

Another Seagal flick I really like is "On Deadly Ground." Aside from the overly lengthy Eskimo scene it was a great movie. I found Seagal's speeches in the movie a little moving.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1044
Agreed Kano.

fingersaretoobig
Unregistered guest
"Their here"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1114
Saw "The Night Porter"---wild! Paul would LOVE this movie...it's in mono!

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Watched Coach Carter last night. Good flick, missed it at the movie theatre. (That spelling was for you, Andy.)

Watched the first part of "Top Gun" and the sound and visual was great. Just got back from the movie theatre and saw, "War of the Worlds" and it will definitely be a hit on HT when it's released. It was good, not great.

Watched "Last of the Mohicans" last week and great sounds and visuals in that one. So, what's for tonight, I've got a few options and just picked up "Aladdin - Special 2 disk set" and that should be good for some sound and laughs, one of Robin Williams' better cartoon flicks. Well, I was just checkin' in. See y'all and have a great 4th in the U.S. of A.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1048
Just watched "Callas Forever" and "De-Lovely". I really liked "Callas". "De-LOvely was a bit uneven. Good but not great. Paul, ignore this post. Now I am listening to Ella Fitzgerald "Best of the Songbooks". Ecstacy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
Art,

I'm still going through those Diana Krall CDs and while I do think she's much more talented than I originally thought, I'm of the opinion that she still couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington or Ella Fitzgerald.

Would it be wrong for me to say that I simply prefer the voices of black women for this particular style of music? There's just something very deep, magical and organically POWERFUL that I just don't hear in white women singing jazz tunes.

I mean, Diana sounds fine as casual nighttime lounge or background music but for focused listening I just don't find her as involving, somehow.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
And yes sorry about the image, but today is appropriate for it....

Well today is your, Independence Day 4th of July 2005 so to all my allies on the other side of the world enjoy the best, that today brings out for your families and friends...

Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.
And for tonight's movie of the night... Upload

"Independence Day" this has some rather menacing E.T.'s droping in and not coming in peace and it's up to us to stop these little buggers, with awesome visual effects that took the 1996 Oscar best visual effects.

So if you what to run the SVS sub bass to full madness Paul go ahead give it some.

With frequency response between 20Hz and 40Hz there's a whole lot of shaking going on, with this movie.

The opening of the film shakes the room so a meld calmness, only to get bigger later, when fleets of alien spaceships start appearing all over the planet with SPL rising to 110dbC weighting most at 40Hz peaks with "David Arnold" score music not necessarily being to Topy sounding.

Cars all of a suddenly hitting the back ends of each other, as the folks of New York gaze upwards towards the sky looking in utter amazement, as the ground shakes due to the sound waves, reflecting from the spaceships engines, with a +10 on the Richter scale.

It's been 9 years now since, "Independence Day" first opened in theatres and breaking box office records, to no surprise with its' groundbreaking state of the art visual effects, showing viewer the unbelievable, believing that the White house as been blow to utter pieces, along with other countries in the first alien attack strike....

This sound mix is to be used carefully hear, as it does have some damaging dynamic range levels, that if used carelessly will damage loudspeakers, the split-stereo surrounds have some low end that can be just as powerful than the LFE, depending on how the home cinema is set-up.

With multi-channel EQ applied, the overall brightness of the sound is tamed without the utter harshness and more bass edge.

Conclusion this plays very well in THX, along with wider frequency range and all the flow of bass from the centre and main channels, with all the little details begin presented clearly with louder ones having the cinema quality without distortion.

http://www.usacitylink.com/usa/

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.

Tonight's movie of the night... Upload

Films with a 4th of July theme in the

"Independence Day" Dolby six-track, dts THX sound system
Sci-fi adventure...

"Wyatt Earp" Dolby six-track THX sound system
Historical true story events...

"Cape Fear" Dolby six-track THX sound system
Thriller

"Born on the fourth of July" Dolby six-track, dts THX sound system
Historical true story events...

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Thanks Mate Andy,

When are you blokes coming back for your country. You can have the east part of the country and we'll keep the west. BUT, you'll never be able to get those New Yorkers to settle down, it's not in their nature, you know.

I'm watching Aladdin. Enjoy the 4th all, it hasn't arrived in the U.S. yet, Andy. I'll be in the water, thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Thanks, David.

Upload
its been 4th of July by my clock, now for the past 4Hrs:32mins...

Yeah but the Westside of the USA is sound of west coast JBL, hay I would like a piece of the cake too please send some over looks nice, what's that smell?

Yummy, tummy...4th of July....

Anonymous

Batman Begins: IMAX. Simply awesome.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
UploadUpload

"IMAX" With screens towering 60feet by 80feet, 30.000Kw of xenon light water cooled, and the Sonics sound system, oh yes, oh yes baby with over 10.000Kw of it dame...

"Batman begins" in DMR 70mm...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1573
Ahhhhh.......

I picked up 3 new movies today.

1.The Eraser
2.Assassins
3.Lethal Weapon 3

Tonight is movie night!!!!!

I have tomorrow off to begin packing, and I leave this weekend for a 2 week vacation.

LOL......I guess this board will be free of my opinions for awhile. Luckily nobody knows where I live or a wacky audiophile might be inclined to come steal my Cerwin Vegas.....hahahahahah

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
I don't think there will be any concern, they will take one look at the CW & SVS and say don't bother.....

But we will, take ERASER with us for movie of the fortnight?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1169
Watched "Hamburger Hill" the other day. Not bad actually. Quite underated like "Tigerland".

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 638
Have you seen Saviour with Dennis Quaid??

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 646
Art?

Aninymous
Unregistered guest
its over joseph.

me, Alfredo, Anoy-Nymous, and Eyeswideshut ate him for lunch. Mustard and Swiss on rye, lotsa pickles. HM-MMMM!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1188
I was at work Joseph. I had to work a rare Friday. In fact I will have to work a couple of fridays in the next couple of months. I work for the state so I can only post very rarely online during the workday. No I haven't seen "Saviour" but I will look for it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1280
Last nights movies "Sum of All Fears" and "Fallen". Both movies were fun. I especially like "Fallen". No happy endings there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
Snatched up a copy of "Million Dollar Baby" which just came out on DVD...not bad! I can see how it won the Oscars. Loved Hillary Swank, not only a cutie but excellent actress too. Surprised at how much humor there was in the film too.

A few of the boxing scenes did come out nicely on the surround speakers but otherwise this was a 2-channel movie.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1287
I'll have to pick that one up, I'm definately interested. Hey would you let Paul no where to find the movie threads. I'm sure he has much commentary to add.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1289
Tonight's movies start with "The Count of Monte Cristo" and a Bridgeport Black Strap Stout. Let the action begin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1634
I watched Constantine, and a classic......Lethal Weapon 3 tonight.

I really enjoyed Constantine. Definitely my kind of flick:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1348
Just saw "Broken Arrow"---fairly dumb as action flicks go but gets by on the screen charisma of its cast, especially John Travolta and but also Christian Slater and the yummy-delicious Samantha Mathis (Slater's costar in "Pump Up The Volume" ages ago). Had much worse actors been cast instead, this would've been far more of an unwatchable mess.

It opens with what is possibly the single most comically FAKE boxing scene ever put on film, and the plot is strung together by several similarly striking cliches and gaping departures from reality. In fact I was often wondering if John Woo is actually a satirist in disguise, some of the scenes and dialogue were so drop-dead cheesy and ridiculous...almost campy, in late David Lynch style!

However, along with the ever-pleasing eye candy courtesy of Ms. Mathis, the excellent camera work and breathtaking desert locations do a fairly good job of distracting us from the overwhelming cheese factor, adding up to a fairly brisk and painless 2 hours. Not sure I'd actually want to see this movie again, God bless Netflix.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1294
Last night "The Count of Monte Cristo". Always lots of fun. I love revenge flicks. Followed that up with "Life is Beautiful", very touching movie. Last was "Demolition Man", too funny. I love the 90's action flicks. It's so funny to see what they think technology will evolve to.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 375
Ah, Domolition Man...the first time I saw Sandra Bullock. I thought there was some star quality there. And Wesley Snipes was over the top!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1375
just saw "Training Day"---wow, that was the most imaginative cop flick I've ever seen! One of Denzel Washington's best performances. Nice subversive and cynical edge to it. Kept me guessing---right up until the last 10 minutes when it went into typical action flick cliche-mode, but even those last 10 minutes were pretty low-cheese.

A rare find among cop movies!

Made very good use of my surround speakers for a change, and actually made me wonder how much better it'd sound with a monster SVS like Paul's. Too bad I watch movies like this only about once a month if that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1718
I didnt care too much for Training Day. It was "OK", I guess. I didnt care too much for the plot. There is another movie that I lump in the same category called "Man on Fire" that I really liked and enjoyed. It's also has a DTS soundtrack:-)

As for your 'wondering'??? If anything, you should be wondering what it would be like watching movies on something bigger than a 20". Without a bigscreen, I wouldnt even consider it to be HT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1719
Ok, since returning from vacation, I've been on a bit of a tear feeding my 'movie' itch.

Last saturday, I watched Constatine and loved it. It was better than expected and a pleasant suprise. I also watched Lethal Weapon3 and it was like watching it for the first time again because I had not seen it since it was brand new.

Tuesday...I watched "The Grudge" for the 2nd time, and liked it much better the 2nd time around. I also watched "Assassins".

Wed.....my 8 year old daughter likes reading scary books, so I showed her "The Grudge" DVD and asked her if she wanted to watch it. Of course, she said yes, so I watched the movie for the 2nd day in a row. Needless to say, she was spooked by it, and slept in my bed last night with my wife, and I slept downstairs in the guest bedroom.....LOL
I also watched Tombstone, whatta great classic!!

Tonight...I watched "The Ring". Coincidentally, that is also a Japanese horror remake for american audiences ala....The Grudge.
I also watched "Xmen2"......a fun flick.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1361
Edster, you can't be serious. "Training Day" imaginative. I thought it was run of the mill stuff. And Denzel although good was still just Denzel. I liked "Training Day", but I didn't think it was special.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 381
"Hide and Seek", an excellent psychological thriller. Without the genius of Robert De Niro the movie might not have worked. This is the movie M. Night Shyamalan should have made. Starts out a little slow, but stick with it!

Paul, your daughter will be spooked by this one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1724
John,
I've been riding the fence over that one. I've almost bought that one a couple times. You're right, if DeNiro wasnt in it, I probably wouldnt even consider that one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1384
Dunno guys, 71% of the critics tend to agree with me on Training Day:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/training_day/

as compared to 39% for Paul's "Man on Fire:"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_on_fire/

I'm not saying that critics are infallible, but anything over 60% on the TomatoMeter is usually a safe bet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1385
Watched about half of this tonight:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/primer/

Will finish it tomorrow night, probably start over. It's strikingly original and fascinatingly dense, but right now am too tired from a long week to digest it properly.

Any of you liked "Memento," trust me you will eat this one up, it's even more of a mindf*ck than that one!

shweet dreams...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
I cant blame you for 'only' watching half.....

Based on your TV size, it might take several viewings to take it all in.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 382
Re: "Hide and Seek" Any movie Rex Reed doesn't like has got to be good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
John,

I agree, Rex Reed is a total bonehead. Probably likes the same movies Paul likes, therefore. : )

He probably owns Cerwin Vegas too, ROTFLMAO!

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times is much closer to my tastes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1399
Art,

actually I haven't seen "I Am Sam"---and I didn't know that Denzel won any awards for "Training Day" but I enjoyed his perfomance because he usually plays all these saintly characters, like Malcolm X or Ali, etc. It was a nice change of pace and he pulled it off brilliantly IMO, except for the last 10 minutes when the whole movie kind of went to pieces.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
3 recent movies:

1. "Primer"---wow, this was certainly unlike any other movie I've ever seen. Damned if I understood much more than 1/3 of it, but it was still a damn interesting 78 minutes. 5 stars for originality.

2. "Wedding Crashers"---not bad at all, I was surprised at all the nu dity and se xual content because where I saw it, at least 1/3 of the audience was kids well under 10 and they were there with their PARENTS! Like most mass movies it kind of goes downhill in the last 15-20 minutes but still didn't go totally cheesy like I had feared.

3. "Matrix Revolutions"---much better than the second "Matrix Reloaded" but barely understandable plot, and lots of unintended giggles. Sure sounded good on the Hsu STF-2 that Quinn lent me though.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1396
Edster, Denzel often plays soemone who is in control (even when he plays someone who is not). That is what I meant about Denzel always being Denzel. He won a best actor Oscar for "Training Day" and Will Smith played Ali. BTW, you owe it to yourself to see "I am Sam".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1408
oops, you're right about "Ali."

Overall though I don't think I've ever seen Denzel play an outright evil character which he pretty much was in "Training Day." Kind of like Harrison Ford, who's made a career of playing good guys.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 804
Bought a crapload of movies lately:
Silence of the lambs
Hannibal
The Unforgiven
White Chicks
Constantine
Tales from the crypt season 1
Evil dead 2
The Rundown
Beetlejuice
The Untouchables
Mulholland falls
Napoleon dynamite

Good stuff, even though I have listened to more music than watch movies lately since those Rainmakers have truly broken in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1776
New releases are going to be pretty lame this month. You have some good choices on your list.......

Napoleon Dynamite???....HEH
I watched that with my wife(she rented) because I refused to buy it. Funny flick in a weird way.

I bought BadBoys2 at walmart today.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1424
Just saw "Napoleon Dynamite" today too...pleasant light comedy, nothing more.

A much better film, along a similar vein, is "Welcome to the Dollhouse" by Todd Solondz the director of "Happiness" which is another beautifully disturbing flick.

Both unlikely to ever arrive at Walmart, CC, or BB...guys, GET NETFLIX!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1816
Yea,
I figured the "ND" movie to be right up your alley.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1411
Yep Joseph I picked up a few movies last weekend:

What Lies Beneath
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Usual Suspects
The Doors
Thirteen
The Missing
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Raising Arizona
Galaxy Quest
Sense and Sensibility
The River Wild

That raps up my movie purchases for this month.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1846
Since the new releases are lame this month, I watched a couple tonight from my archives.....

I watched Boogyman, which has decent 'creep' factor, and excellent LFE material. This movie will definitely shake up your insides if you have a good sub, and make you flinch at different moments.

For my second movie, I watched Oceans 12....an OK movie with fun twists at the end, but nothing special about the soundtrack.

Geez, it seems like forever before any really good new flicks will be released on DVD.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1423
Picked up five more movies yesterday.

Raging Bull
I am Sam
The Postman (critic's hated it I liked it. I'm kind of a sucker for the post apocalyptic stuff)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Great Expectations

Watched "Great Expectations" last night. It's a very good movie. Anne Bancroft is fabulous and Gwyneth Paltrow is tasty. Great cast, interesting story and very well acted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1446
"Raging Bull"---best boxing movie of all time!

"Gilbert Grape" isn't bad, havent' seen the others.

Anne Bancroft...didn't she play Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate?" Ooh la la!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1861
'The Postman (critic's hated it I liked it. I'm kind of a sucker for the post apocalyptic stuff)'
--------------------
I totally agree. I have several movies that I consider my 'cult favs', even though they werent well received at the box office or by critics. I happened to enjoy the Postman too, and also Waterworld which also tanked.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1442
Yep, Paul I have "Waterworld" and like it. Bought a few more movies yesterday.

Simon Birch (quite sappy)
A little Princess (one of my favorite children's movie)
Dark City

Watched "Dark City" last night. Wow...it may be better than the Matrix as regards the alter world theme. Sound was fabulous and the video crystal clear. Special effects were very good. It made for an entertaining evening.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1476
Just saw "To Die For" directed by Gus Van Sant, with Matt Dillon and Nicole Kidman...yowsers! Very, very dark comedy. Amazing LFE for Paul, too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1889
Sunday(last night)I went the comedy route and watched "Happy Gillmore & Fast Times at RH".

Saturday night I watched Constantine for the second time, and watched Beautiful Mind with Russel Crowe for only the second time since it was a new release.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1890
Tonight I watched "Revenge" with Kevin Costner, and it was probably the worst movie he's ever made. He plays the role of a retiring air force pilot who befriends this Mexican mafia chieftan. It's revealed they became friends because Kevin saved the Godfathers life while on a hunting trip at some point in the past. Yea that's realistic.... Im sure active air force pilots go hunting with Mexican mob bosses all the time, right??? Soon after costner retires, he goes to mexico to visit his mafia friend, and takes it upon himself to stick his wet noodle into the Godfathers hot wife. Costner is caught redhanded, and is beaten to within an inch of his life and is left for dead. After he recovers, he decides to go out for for revenge and to find the woman and take her as his own.
Surely you're kidding, right?? Revenge??....LOL

There movie was poorly made and lots of things didnt add up. For example, early in the movie, Costner is seen reading and talking fluent spanish, and he comments that he learned the language after being stationed 3 years in spain. then later in the movie, he doesnt speak spanish, and needs a translator.......LOL

He gives the godfather a bomber jacket as a gift, and the boss seen wearing the jacket later in the movie after Kevin got caught doing his wife. Are they serious???...who's gonna do that???

The ending was equally stupid, but I dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen the movie. Wow, I could go on and on.........
Im amazed that I watched the whole thing, but it was, at least, good enough for me to want to see the ending.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1486
can't recall the last half-decent movie Costner's been in since "Dances with Wolves" actually...

Geez Paul what do you do with all the DVDs you buy, watch and can't stand? I'd be too lazy to eBay them personally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1896
Tonights movie was on HDnet. I'm pretty good at pre-judging movies, and dont own very many that I dont like.

I guess there's a good reason I never bought that movie....HEH

In looking at some of his recent more films, I put several into the 'decent' category although none were huge blockbusters.

Since dancing with wolves, I enjoyed the following in no particular order.
1.3000 miles to graceland
2.open range
3.dagonfly
4.for the love of the game
5.the postman
6.tin cup
7.waterworld
8.Wyatt Earp

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/

The weird thing is that none of those are in my collection, even though I might eventually buy some of them in the future.

Silver Member

Post Number: 767
What about....

American flyers scope Dolby A
Bull Durham w/s Dolby SR
JFK scope Dolby SR
A Perfect World scope Dolby SR-D
The Bodyguard w/s Dolby SR-D
Amazing Stories Book one academy Dolby surround
Silverado scope Dolby A
The Untouchables scope Dolby A
No Way Out w/s Dolby A
Field of Dreams w/s Dolby SR
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves w/s Dolby A

Gold Member

Post Number: 1490
I liked: Bull Durham, JFK, The Untouchables, No Way Out, Field of Dreams.

The Bodyguard however is a world-class stinker...ugh!

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 927
WOW Hallo there Ashley.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 402
Yes, right, hallo Ashley....
Judging from your list you are a big Kevin Costner fan. I loved Silverado, which I haven't seen for a long time. A great double bill might be that, along with Unforgiven, arguably Eastwood's best.

Yesterday's fare was on the high road for me:

Off The Map A slow one, but you have to keep watching to see if Sam Elliot breaks out of his deep depression. A great cast, including the brilliant Joan Allen, and an engaging Valentina DeAngelis as the daughter. The northern New Mexico scenery is breathtaking.

The Magdalene Sisters Engrossing, maddening and recommended.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 403
Sorry Ashley, I just realized the subject was already on Kevin Costner.

Let me put in a plug for Open Range, which I enjoyed much more that the critics, apparently. Any movie with Robert Duvall can't be all bad. Here again, the scenery is gorgeous.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1482
Open Range did receive some critical acclaim John. I enjoyed it very much. Speaking of Costner we just watched "The Upside of Anger" last weekend. I thought it was very entertaining.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1501
New movies bought this week.

When a Man Loves a Woman
Sabrina
Someone to Watch Over Me
The Way We Were
The Edge
A River Runs Through it
Legally Blonde
Legally Blonde 2
Blade Runner
Soldier
Blade
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger

Silver Member

Post Number: 776
New films that, I've brought in the last month.

The Cannonball Run w/s, remixed in Dolby 5.1 rating for sound 2
Face/off scope, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 9
Payback scope, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 8
Alexander scope, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 9
Amelie scope, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 8
Cutthroat Island scope, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 10
The Green Mile w/s, Dolby six-track with split-surrounds rating 10

Though I still have Cutthroat Island on Laserdisc NTSC THX, the DVD region 2 version as been, cut-throated by the BBFC British Board Film classification.

No head-butting is allowed from the mid 1995 to around 2000?

There just q-u-e-e-r about anything that will upset the audience, yeah right I've seen worse?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1541
Blade Runner---is about the only film I've ever seen where the producers' cut was a million times better than the director's cut. Unfortunately the producer's cut is almost impossible to find anymore.

Clear & Present Danger---very nice little thriller, and actually has a brain, very politically savvy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
"Blade Runner", there is the Laserdisc version however it finding it the Ebay as a whole group of people sealing there "Blade Runner" I've seen in the past so if you have a Laserdisc player or would like to buy one as I'm still running two Pioneer CLD-1750 and the CLD-2950 Laserdisc players, and two DVD players Sony DVP-S336 and the Pioneer DV-525 both region 2 players.

Anyway if you like to get hold of "Blade Runner" in Dolby Stereo only and the mix on it is still great sounding, but the 70mm six-track one as got to be, by far the best.

And when in the hell is Ridley Scott going to do a pucker release of this film and not that Directors cut, that's fit for clay pigeon shooting.

Man I hated the way the end credits ran and sound too, the impact was lost and if he does decide to do a Directors cut, he should include the 1982 theatrical realise of it, films like "The Abyss" "Independence Day" "Aliens" "Halloween" which had a scope version & a P/S version err.

So Hollywood directors take not two versions please, and by the way cheers Gorge Lucas for not doing what could have been done.

Get the picture?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1545
Just saw "The Aristocrats" at the cinema tonight.

Wow!

87 minutes of pure twisted comic genius and MAYHEM!!! It's hard to find right now, AMC Theatres refused to run it, but if you can find it in your neck of the woods it's a very unique film experience. Definitely get it when it comes out on DVD...though Blockbuster and Walmart probably will be too chickenshit to carry it.

Go to the link below to see the trailer:

http://www.thearistocrats.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
"The Aristocrats" now that's a Disney classic does the AMC have Lucasfilm THX sound system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
Whops

I guess it's not Disney, sorry...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1506
More new movies.

Swordfish
The Last of the Mohicans
Runaway Jury
Spy game
Enter the Dragon
Air Force One
Fire in the Sky
The Quick and the Dead
Conspiracy Theory
Monster's Ball
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
City of Angels

Plentiful supply of inexpensive movies. My wife bought about ten yesterday as well.

Also bought two performance DVD's.

The Pretenders - Loose in L.A.
Elvis Costello and the Imposters - Live in Memphis.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1546
Monster's Ball...excellent!

Enter the Dragon...classic
City of Angels...good date movie
The Pretenders...I love Chrissie's voice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
The last of the Mohicans scope Dolby Stereo SR split-surrounds
Air Force One scope Dolby Digital split-surrounds
Fire in the Sky scope Dolby Digital split-surrounds
Conspiracy Theory scope Dolby Digital split-surrounds

They are so damn good, yes I have them on the shelf, I will be doing a test on them soon in the future looking at the highest dynamic range level in the LFE or subwoofer channel, why not the (Baby Boom) I've all ready done Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope, with interesting results, next "Superman the Movie" has this has some huge LFE sorry (Baby Boom) on it.

If you go to, The LFE test in this section in fact its just blow this one?

At the moment I'm leistering to classic fm, and beautiful sound music by (Rodrigo) performed by (John Williams) the lovely, soul relaxing too.

You guys should pop into The LFE test, and join in, you are very welcome.

Anyway I'm warmed up and "Superman The movie" isn't going to take mw that long to cheek this out knowing where the LFE is in the film, the test should take no more than 1hr 20mins or less.

Noting time where the LFE comes in, the frequency response, range, maximum SPL db @1m, as well as the 0db reference point on the VU meter of the mixer.

And as (John Young), said when dipping into the atmosphere on Columbia in 1981.

Bye, bye....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us