Ongoing MOVIE thread (no pics please Andy!)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1245
Just saw the first "Matrix" again, only my second viewing after several years.

Funny thing is, I found that I didn't remember almost anything at all from this film other than that there was a really hot babe in it, Carrie Ann Moss...mama mia, pure eye candy!

Other funny thing is...second time around, I found this film FUNNY AS HELLL! I was practically rolling on the floor during many of the fight scenes, especially the ridiculous pseudo-kung-fu poses Keanu Reeves would go into just before whacking away at various bad guys.

Also noted: Keanu Reeves is a really great (unintentional) comic actor. He always has this earnest airhead look frozen on his face no matter what the situation, as if he's just popped out from between his mama's legs ten seconds ago.

Oh, and the dialogue is a hoot. Agent Smith: "You're empty." Neo: "You're empty too." All spoken while they're in midair in a NY subway station!

I guess when a movie is this bad, you REALLY need to have a good HT system for distraction's sake.

Well to be fair, even on this second viewing it wasn't really BAD, just unintentionally hilarious.

Art, now you know why I don't like to buy movies, 80% of them are much, much better the first time around...then it's all downhill from there! : )

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 726
This page is empty what it can do with is some technical pictures uploading in a few minutes.....

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1127
I still like the concept of "The Matrix" and L fishburne and am glad that I have it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1248
Yeah, Larwence Fishburne is an excellent actor. He is to Keanu Reeves what NAD is to Onkyo, LOL!

Loved him in the Tina Turner movie, "What's Love Got To Do With It." Of course Angela Bassett's no slouch either, besides being a delightful woman to look at. Now that's a movie I'd consider buying.

BTW, I've been digging through the DVD bin at my local Walmart (2 of them in fact) and no sign of that "Standing In the Shadows of Motown" movie you were talking about. Ended up getting a Pilates DVD for my wife...

I'm curious Art, how much time does it take for you to find a movie you like when you hit the Walmart DVD bins? I was exhausted after about 15 minutes, the DVDs are just jumbled all over the place. Made me wish I was an octopus with eight arms and hands to move everything around!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 330
Keanu Reeves has improved he used to just be a flat out terrible actor,Hardball,Sweat November,showed acting skills that knowone ever knew he had.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 184
Unrelated to your question Edster, but if you ever find The Big Lebowski on sale somewhere do not pass up on it.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 735
"The Big Lebowski" there are plenty of them over hear in the UK enough to sink the US and the British navy over a dozen times....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1138
Edster, I don't go to Wally World very often but it doesn't take long. I usually don't find anything in the bargain bin so I look for a couple of minutes (while the wife gives it a good diigin' through), then I go over to the $7.50 movies. I usually get my movies for between $4.50 to $10. I also take a list with me. I've bought 50 movies in the last 2 months. Last weekend I picked up:

Hamburger Hill
Seven
12 Monkeys
Close Encounters
The Graduate
Demolition Man
Jane Monheit - Live at the Rainbow Room

It's great fun, and with my Denon DVD2910 hooked to my Sony TV via the HDMI connection using a $350 HDMI cable (which I didn't pay that for...long story..suffice it to say that AudioQuest is an excellent company with great customer service) the picture in 1080i is spectacular with pretty much any movie.

I still chose listening to my 2 channel over movies until my wife complains.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1256
you know, "The Big Lebowski" was about the only Coen brothers film I didn't like. Barely remember it, or why I didn't like it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1257
The Graduate I already have but in VCR format...do you get any nice extras with the DVD version?

12 Monkeys isn't bad, not sure how many times I could see that though.

Anonymous

The greatest movie of all time is......................................................................
Lawnmower Man II

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 185
Edster if rewatching Matrix made you laugh so hard, then watching the big labowki again may send you to the hospital

Gold Member

Post Number: 1263
I was thinking about going to see War of the Worlds but after my experience with The Matrix, will reconsider---don't want to get kicked out of the cinema for going into convulsive laughter every five minutes!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1139
Edster, I don't watch movies over and over like Paul. I might watch "12 Monkeys" this year which would be the second time since it came out on DVD years ago. I don't even remember it. Then I 'll watch again in 2-5 years, but now I have it in my library and can watch it when I chose. That's why I buy. I don't really pay attention to the extra's usually don't watch them. "Blackhawk Down" special 3 disc set being one exception.

"The Big Lebowski" was in my opinion terrible.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 596
I second that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
Art,

wow, once very 2-5 years! I guess I don't really see much economic sense in that personally, when for $6-10 I can buy a music CD that I'm sure to listen to at least a dozen times a year or more.

That's probably why I love Netflix so much, huge endless selection and if I chance upon a film I'm really nuts about when I rent it again a few months later then I'll start to look around to buy it.

Anonymous

Art is pretty dumb. But I do agree that the Big Lebowski sucked.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1147
That was one movie Eddie you need not generalize to all movies. I have nearly 1400 music titles (I say titles because I count box sets etc as one) I can't possibly listen to the all of them a dozen times a year. It's all relative.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 620
I think we will not be seeing Andy anymore.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1272
why is that Joseph? You can PM me if you wish. I seem to have missed something here...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
Holy smokes, 1400 movies! I daresay you should open a lending library, Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1276
Art,

oops nevermind, I see now that you wrote 1400 MUSIC cds not 1400 MOVIES. Sorry, had one too many beers tonight...went to this awesome beer garden with some friends, they had this draft Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale and HOLY BEJESUS, that pretty much wiped me out...exquisite and potent! Even better than the normal Sierra Nevada Pale Ale they sell at supermarkets in bottles.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1160
Ya'll are microbrew v1rg1ns. Come to Oregon the microbrew capital of the world and have your fill of the best. My present favorite is Deschutes Brewery's Obsidian Stout. Sierra Nevada is establishment stuff, old hat around here. Presently I have the Obsidian and a Full Sail brew in the fridge. I might even have a Bridgeport if a take a more careful gander.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1280
I've tried Full Sail before, was not impressed. I love the Bridgeport Pale Ale though, and am curious to try their Extra Bitter Stout...which do you like most from them?

Bridgeport PA is the only PA I've ever had that can compete with the S-N PA, might even beat by a tiny margin some days. But the draft Sierra Nevada IPA is a whole other beast altogether...wow!

Obsidian I think I've actually seen at one or two beer shops but never tried it..."Stout" tends to make me think of Guinness, which I really dislike.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1168
Between microbreweries, wineries, and coffeeshops we have something good to drink just about everywhere. Life is good in the Northwest!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 637
Please check this thread Art.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/147928.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1175
Joseph, I believe my response on that thread was Yikes, I think I'll stick with that.

Eddie you're misbehavin'. Andy must be gone on vacation and you have agreed to fill in!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
Just saw "Starman" tonight, it was recommended to me because I liked "K-Pax."

Wow, talk about a movie being dated. Really made me appreciate today's film production values and special FX. Nowhere as good as "K-Pax" which was far from a perfect movie. No LFE output, even though my Marantz auto-selected "Dolby PLII-MV." Main saving grace was Karen Allen, pretty cute girl of the sturdy, Germanic upper-Midwest type.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us