Best VCR to Use to Transfer to DVD Recorder

Username: Kevin1963

Post Number: 1
I have been transferring old, personally-recorded VHS tapes to DVD using a mid-90s model Sony VCR and the Sony GX7 DVD Recorder. However, my old VCR is showing signs of giving up the ghost (inconsistant tracking being the main problem). I bought a new Sony VCR as a replacement (don't have the model number but its one without a DVD player), but the manual (and my personal experience) says that it may have a hard time playing tapes recorded at extended play (6 hours) on other VCRs. This of course is how I recorded over 90% of my VHS tapes. And they are right as many of the DVDs I recorded using this new VCR show noticiable flicker.

What VCRs are you using to do your DVD recording work? I'm especially looking for VCRs where you have had success playing tapes that you recorded on other VCRs. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 220
I use Mitsubishi myself, tracks everything I put in it, once in a great while I have to manual track something, but that's pretty rare. There is a good chance that your old VCR just needs a good cleaning. New VCRs are nowhere near as good quality wise as older VCRs were.

Username: Kevin1963

Post Number: 2
David,

Thanks. Do you know which model of Mitsubishi? I actually have debated taking the old Sony in for a tune-up/cleaning, because you are absolutely right, they definitely don't make them like they used to! But I'd still like to have a backup unit since I have lots of transfering to do.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 224
Mine is 3 Years old, so the model wouldn't do any good. They only have 1 or 2 different models that aren't S-VHS. The only difference would probably be more inputs, the VCR itself would be exactly the same inside.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us