HDMI to DVI-HD cable or adapter

Username: Oscar

Post Number: 2
I just purchased a samsung DVD-HD841 player to go with my Mitsubishi 525. Currently there is only on DVD player on the market that has a HDMI output and its a combo unit, so we are all stuck having to convert DVI-HD to HDMI. The monster cable at the local BB and CC runs for $119 (http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2441 ) I am considering using an adapter that converts HDMI to DVI, has anyone had good results with this? (http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2377)
I did find this companies cheaper cables:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/products/dvi-hdmi.jsp

My ohter option is to return the DVD player and wait until they release a DVD player with an HDMI output. If you think about if you have an HDMI intput and a DVI output you just increased the cost of your DVD play by $100 unless you buy the converter for $30.

I am new to this so any help, advice, or success stories are appreciated.
Thank you in advance!!

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
Toshiba just released their new player with HDMI output (SD-5970). Check it out here
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=SD-5970

It lists for $250 but I paid $180 for it. I was $199 on the floor at Video Only in Seattle. It also comes with an HDMI to HDMI cable. It does everything the Sammy 841 can do, but from a more reliable company. Check it out.

Username: Coldcut

Temecula, CA US

Post Number: 5
I also have the Mits 525 and was forced to buy the adapter. The only problem I had was that the adapter is large and tends to be a little loose fitting. I used a couple zip-ties to secure it to the television chasis and it works fine. Considering the high cost of the cable and the low cost of zip-ties, I would have to say go with the adapter. Be aware though that you will also need to purchase audio cables of some type because the down side to the hdmi is that it doesn't carry an audio signal. I bought an optical audio cable and couldn't be happier.

Username: Oscar

Post Number: 3
I returned my Samsung DVD-HD841 and purchased the Toshiba SD-5970 as Mr Lynch did. I contacted samsung and they are going to release an HDMI version sometime in October. The toshiba comes with a HDMI cable, granted its not the best HDMI but I didnt like the idea of having to convert from DMI to HDMI because I'm sure you loose some quality in that conversion. Also the simple fact that I paid the same for the Samsung w/ DVI as I did for the Toshiba w/HDMI.

LUVJUGS
Unregistered guest
This is a much nicer option:

http://www.bettercables.com/cohdv.html

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
I don't have an HDTV yet, but have questions. How do you handle it if your HDTV has only one HDMI input and you connect the HDTV tuner output to it -- do you have to compromise the DVD player by using another (inferior?) connection on the HDTV? Is there such a thing as an "HDMI switcher that switches between the HDTV tuner and a DVD player?
Malcolm

SilverNightX
Unregistered guest
That's ridiculous, way too much for a cord. A wish my TV was DVI-HD instead of HDMI because I just got HD DirecTV and the chord used is DVI-HD and I'm not paying $120 for a chord, I'll just use component...

Anonymous

Malcolm,

Be glad in knowing Component Video isn't that bad. At this time, there is no such thing as native HD-DVD. A 2-hour movie on DVD requires between 7-8 GBs. But an HD movie would require approx 35 GBs. There is a DVD standard for HD that is being developed. It's called "BlueRay". However, it'll be years before you see movies (and players) developed for this standard. In the meantime, be happy knowing that Component Video looks great (even though its 480).

BTW - The following is the best HDMI switch:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdmi-2x1-switch.htm

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
Anonymous: Thanks for the information regarding "ramelectronics.net". I know that there is no HD-DVD as yet, but was really wondering what is the best type of connection to an HDTV monitor for conventional DVD players in order to produce the best possible picture in 480i and 480p.
M

hdtv_newbie
Unregistered guest
Does it matter what brand of cable I buy.. Monster DVI-HDMI cable goes for over a 100 dollars. I see cheaper alternative on ebay or the web. Is it worth spending the 100 to get monster or can i get the same result w/ a 20 dollar cable? Same question applies to optical cable. please help.

LUVJUGS
Unregistered guest
Component, DVI, and HDMI will all give the same quality in 480 and 720 - You will need DVI or HDMI for 1080 though.

Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 5
There is HD - DVD simulated i guess, the Toshiba 5970 upconverts 480 to 1080i via HDMI cable, included. I have it hooked to my Mits WD 62725, looks amazing. As far as the switch goes, I am waiting for their 4 x1 switch. No need for it now because my STB from adelphia cable doesnt even have the DVI active yet and no HDMI at all. I assume the next gen PS3 will also have HDMI thus the need for 3 HDMI inputs(STB, DVD, PS3) . I did buy a HDMI cable from Bettercables.com.
There are also receivers on the way which will have all HDMI inputs, so you can run everthing though that or go the less expensive route and just buy the 4 x 1 switch box.

Peas
Unregistered guest
You will need DVI or HDMI for 1080 though.

Incorrect information.

Peas

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Instead of DVI/HDMI adapters, just buy the HDMI to DVI Cable. I found mine online for $21 - with gold connections. Make sure you get the Female/Male ends that you need. Don't waste $100+ on "monster" cables

Jack Bogrand
Unregistered guest
I agree with Scott on the no need for Monster priced cables. The cable technical specifications are more important than the "brand" name. $20.00 for a 6 foot HDMI to DVI cable is about a reasonable price to pay for this cable. Try this site if you need a place to start. It is a small merchant in Western Minnesota that has a nice selection of reasonably priced cables. http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=STSI_4

Chris from Austin
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba Cinema Series 57" HDTV with only a DVI input and would love to get rid of this crappy Samsung HD931 I bought for it. If I go with the Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player with HDMI out I could convert it to DVI using Monster Cable's $29 HDMI to DVI adapter. Is there any quality loss by doing this? My understanding is that HDMI carries the DVI signal along with audio information, so it's likely that going from HDMI to DVI would result in no quality loss whatsoever. Any comments?

Anonymous

adaptors s/b avoided when possible, however it won't matter much here, and the regular HDMI/DVI cable by Monster is very expensive

now as for the issue of HDMI to DVI signals, doesn't matter at all

any dvd alleged "upscaling" itself will be below true HD grade anyways (next fall HD-DVD players will will finally be able to do this with HD discs) - so it shouldn't matter too much in any case

Unregistered guest
I believe I can run a HDMI to HDMI connection 33" and still have perfect HD picture. However, a friend tells me that running a 33' cable from HDMI feed to a DVI connection on my television may not work. Do you have any experience/knowledge if HDMI to DVI run over 30' will work??

Thanks.

Username: Lasnyder

Help please. OK now I really need to get this straight. I just bought a Hitachi 50vs810 HD LCD projection. I have a Scientific Atlanta HD Cable box. There are Component outputs as well as DVI outputs on the cable box. There is HDMI and component inputs on the tv. What are my options? What will reprodce the BEST picture? IS component as good as HDMI/DVI ? I just spent a bunch of bucks on the tv and some more wont bother me on the cable.
Also is getting the cable card to put into the tv insted of using the cable box a good idea.
THANKS!!!
Larry

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. Cable manufacturers are expected to sell reasonably priced copper cables at lengths of up to 15 meters.

xvxvxvx

zapD
Unregistered guest
Larry,

I have a couple friends who tried to use the cable card with the tv rather then the box, and it worked horribly. Not on that particular TV, but rather a couple different Panasonic Plasmas.

Username: Baydo

McKenna, WA USA

Post Number: 1
HELP! Is there a swith box available that has component and DVI inputs with a HDMI output?

I have naively hard wired my home theater room with HDMI only.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 84
I beg to differ with the recommendation of Toshiba 5970. It's video performance and overall reliability no doubt exceed the Samsung, but it responds inconsistenly and very slowly to the remote control. I suggest the Panasonic S97S. However, do your research and decide for yourself.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"HELP! Is there a swith box available that has component and DVI inputs with a HDMI output? "

Sorry but you can't turn an analog signal from a component cable into a digital signal which is what HDMI carries with a mere switcher. There are however many HDMI to DVI and vice versa cables available online.

xvxvxvx

nice
Unregistered guest
I just bought a cheap DVI to HDMI cable, because cnet said that image quality would be better than component. Alas, image quality (especially in background images and dark pictures) is worse than component. SO, should i invest in a more expensive cord (e.g. monter, etc.)???? Does the cord matter???? And why or why not???

I'm not looking for criticisms of cnet or monster, so please just tell me if size, i mean cord, matters...!

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Anonymous recommends the Gefen switcher. But if you do a Google search, some of the internet chatter suggests problems with the unit. I'm still looking for an objective review and would like to hear from folks who have used the device.

Walstib
Unregistered guest
I've seen this question asked and answered several times already, but not quite like this:

There are many DVI-HDMI cables available on fleabay for less than 5 bucks. Are these crap? Is this a case of you get what you pay for? (using from HD cable box to Mits525)

Thanks.

Username: Baydo

McKenna, WA USA

Post Number: 4
Problem Solved! My Denon AVR-4806 A/V Receiver comes equipped with a HDMI / DVI switch box. My Denon DVD player and my HD Satellite box both have either DVI or HDMI. They are the only thing I'll be watching on my InFocus 7210 anyway so I won't be needing component video. Thanks for your help anyways.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Samsung DVD-HD841 player which includes a DVI-DVI cable ($100 @ Costco),set player to 1080 ouput and connected it to a 50" Pioneer with Monster composite cables. It didn't work; 480 dpi only. Purchased Monster DVI-HDMI adaptor ($30), set Samsung to output on DVI instead of default composite, and now get excellent 1080 lines. The difference in quality was commented on by all 10 of us who witnessed the diffence. No dissenters at all.

Anonymous

I have a cable box with an hdmi out and need to convert to dvi-d, can anyone recommend an hdmi to dvi cable that has a separate audio plug on the dvi side so that i do not lose the sound in the conversion?

Peas
Unregistered guest
"I have a cable box with an hdmi out and need to convert to dvi-d, can anyone recommend an hdmi to dvi cable that has a separate audio plug on the dvi side so that i do not lose the sound in the conversion?"

No, why would they make a cable like that? Just run a toslink or coax digital audio cable like everyone else.

Peas

GaryDLP
Unregistered guest
I have a RCA DTC210 DirecTv HD reciever connected to a Mitsu wd-52725 via component. The HD reciever has a DVI connection and the tv is HDMI. Will I get a better HD and/or Digital picture with the DVI to HDMI cable or should I stay with component video?

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
GaryDLP. I did. But it depends on your equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 175
peas=a.ss

Username: Maveric23

Component, DVI, or HDMI all look the same on HDTV unless you have a digital TV. Then you do need DVI or HDMI for a digital picture. This may come as a suprise, but there are only two kinds of digital TV's. DLP, and LCoS (liquid Crystal on Silicone). All others, CRT, Plasma, and LCD are analog. They can receive a digital signal, but there still analog. So unless you have a DLP or a LCoS, go component. If you do have one of these two, go DVI or HDMI. Go for the adapter if you have to.

Anonymous

joseph I agree!
peas:"No, why would they make a cable like that? Just run a toslink or coax digital audio cable like everyone else."
If a tv has only HDMI input and the only way to access its audio input is thru the HDMI....

Peas
Unregistered guest
"If a tv has only HDMI input and the only way to access its audio input is thru the HDMI.... "

Another goober I see, likely related to Joseph. The OP said his TV had only a DVI input ergo no audio data. Get a grip on reality and actually try reading the posts before you waste more bandwidth.

Now on to Eric,

Plasma displays and LCD displays are also fixed pixel displays and therefore are all digital. So yes your misinformation does coma as a surprise! Why do you guys post on a subject you know nothing about?

Peas

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 349
Anon, Peas is a lonely character with no self esteem who feels empowered by his (lack of) knowledge and loves to make people feel lower than himself. I really feel sorry for him, but just humor him and post valid questions so he can discredit them with adjective mumbo jumbo, The rest of us will try to give you a "positive" useful answer if we can and will not leave you feeling like "you just wasted bandwidth" rotflmfao

Peas
Unregistered guest
Joe-Boy,

Please feel free to correct any misinformation I posted in this thread. What's that? You cannot? Nice little stalker, all blow but no go eh Joe?

Peas

Rollo
Unregistered guest
I use HDMI to DVI-D cables from LINDY - a small company in Alabama who sells via the web. They specialize in computer and home heater cables and adapters - and their prices are great. I also bought Toslink cables from them.
Give them a try http://audiovideo.lindy.com

Rollo

Username: Cbreaker

Look, Peas might not have the best tact but he's right. Information about HDTV technologies are very easily accessable and it's aggrevating when people spread misinformation for something that's very easy to learn and understand.

Component cables have plenty of bandwidth to supply a 1920x1080i analog signal and below. It might not be as good quality as a digital (DVI or HDMI) connection because it's analog and more suseptable to interference and signal loss but it works well and it looks pretty good. Definately good enough for almost all television viewing purposes.

Obviously, Composite and S-Video cables don't provide enough bandwidth to do much more then 480i, so the only way to do higher resolution video is with discrete red, green, and blue signals with component. No equipment will even attempt to do more, and no equipment will accept it. It's not in the specification. S-Video seperates the chroma from the color signals, and provides a much better 480i signal.

DVI is a video specification and with a connector spec as well. A single DVI connector/cable is capable of carrying two digital video signals as well as an RGB (VGA) analog signal. DVI digital allows for very good quality video with much less signal loss and no degredation of signal between digital equipment. One of the benefits of DVI Digital is that you can span greater distances and yet maintain excellent signal, while using similar quality cables to component.

HDMI video is almost exactly the same and is backwards compatible with digital DVI. HDMI uses a new connector which also carries digital audio.

Converting back and forth between DVI and HDMI will have zero signal loss. The only thin you would have a problem with is the fact that there's no audio on DVI and some HDMI equipment has no seperate audio input.

The only "analog" display in use today is a CRT. Whether it be a direct-view CRT or a rear-projector CRT, it's the same technology. Most HDTV CRT's have a digital input and circuitry to convert the digital (HDMI, DVI, whatever) to the analog signal that a picture tube requires. The misconception about CRT's is that they can't do a "1 to 1" pixel scan, but it's just not true. Look at any good quality CRT PC monitor, and they look very clear and very precise with an extremely high resolution - and most of the time they do so with a standard RGB (VGA) analog connection from the video card. While LCD and Plasma are quickly replacing CRTs for obvious reasons (sharper picture, lighter, etc) people seem to forget that PC monitors are CRT's.

At all times, there's going to be an "analog" component to all TV's because our eyes can't be plugged into a DVI cable. We see analog light waves. DLP uses a bulb to generate light, Plasma uses gas that lights up when charged, and LCD uses tiny crystals that tilt when charged, with a cold cathode light behind it (or a projector bulb in a projector.) That being said, LCos and LCD (similar technologies), DLP, and Plasma are all "digital" displays. I'm not sure why Eric Wishart here would think that LCos is "digital" while LCD is analog? Or that Plasma is analog? Apparently, he doesn't understand any of the technolgies at all.

There's something to be said about using good quality cables and digital connections, but in reality you can get an excellent picture from analog component cables of normal quality. In my mind, with the quality of the source video we have available, digital has basically one advantage of component - the cables are smaller, easier to manage, and can be run further without as many issues with signal loss.

The companies selling the very expensive cables are basically ripping people off. While they're usually very nice cables it's simply overkill. We don't need gold plated pins. We don't need half an inch of shielding on a 6ft component cable. And the cables are very inexpensive to produce. Talking to the sales people at these stores makes it sound like the "Monster cables" will magically turn your video into something shockingly better but it's not true! There's very good cables available online for a fraction of the price that will provide just as good a signal.

So, there you have it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
"HDMI video is almost exactly the same and is backwards compatible with digital DVI. HDMI uses a new connector which also carries digital audio.

Converting back and forth between DVI and HDMI will have zero signal loss. The only thin you would have a problem with is the fact that there's no audio on DVI and some HDMI equipment has no seperate audio input." Joe Jamieson

There is a common misconception in the electronics world that DVI and HDMI are identical except for HDMI's ability to carry multi-channel audio signals on top of video. This is not true. DVI outputs 8 bit RGB signals only and cannot carry 10 bit video like HDMI can. In fact, HDMI is actually capable of 12 bit transmission as well. What does this buy you? Well if you are lucky enough to have a display with an HDMI input, you can significantly reduce the contouring artifacts that are commonly associated with digital displays. A lot of this may depend on the internal processing of your display though too. This is one of the gripes I've had with DLP based projectors and displays. Most are DVI- based and only incorporate 8 bit processing internally. So contouring in gray ramps is quite evident. You'll also usually see it in skies and underwater scenes. If you are lucky enough to have a display with an HDMI input, and with high bit processing, this is pretty much eliminated.
DVD Benchmark, July 2005

Now, there you have it.

The MOFO has spoken

Username: Cbreaker

If you had bothered to notice, I said "almost exactly the same" and "backward compatible with DVI." The signal IS, indeed, almost the same. HDMI is capable of more data, but it's indeed 100% compatible with DVI which is obviously evident due to the fact that you can use a simple "gender changer" type part or a simple cable with one end DVI and one end HDMI.

Good luck. Mofo.

Movie fan
Unregistered guest
im a noob that worked hard to invest some money in what i love most: a plasma tv and a dvd so i can watch movies the best way possible. I understand that hd dvd has not come out yet, but as of now, which player do you recommend? probably the samsung upconverter? Should i keep the "junk" cable or buy another one? Do you recommend a plasma 42 taht is around 2300 or less? any advice about home theaters? THANKS A LOT! I appreciate all the info you all have posted :-)

Username: Input

Hey all question for you, I am running the Toshiba 44nhm84 DLP an a ExpresVu 6120 HD system. My TV only has 1 DVI imput on it, but has a VGA as well, I am running the Smsung HD850 DCD player with a HDMI to DVI cable to my TV, I was wondering if I got a VGA to DVI adapter and ran my ExpressVu through DVI to it would using the adapter in any way take away from the picture quality as oppose to running straight DVI to DVI? Any feedback would be appreciated.Thanks.

Anonymous

I have a Dish HDTV Satelite box with a DVI output and a Phillips HDTV Plasma with a HDMI input.Do I have anything to gain by coming off the current Component video connection and using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable??

Thanks in advance for your response..

Anonymous

There will be no signal loss going from DVI to HDMI, but that is not necessarily true going from HDMI to DVI as HDMI can throughput more info. There can be issues with flickering black lines when going from HDMI to DVI.

fx
Unregistered guest
ANON is technically correct but in practice as applied to video data as it is transmitted today the bandwidth difference will have zero effect. It will take much higher bandwidth data requirements than even 1080p to begin to see any data loss between an HDMI and a DVI connection.

xvxvxvx

Username: Laserman

I need help. I have a dish network 811 receiver with a DVI output and a samsung DLP HDTV with a HDMI input. If I connect the receiver directly to the TV everything looks great but I have to connect my samsung DVD (which also has HMDI output) using only the component connections. Thus I bought a JVC A/V receiver with HDMI switching so that I could connect both with a digital connection. Unfortunately when I do this the picture from the Dish network receiver is extremely blue and this cannot be corrected by adjustment. A call to both JVS and Dish network yielded only one comment and that was that you cannot go from DVI to HDMI. Now I know that that is not completely true because it works with the Dish receiver connected directly to the TV, but could this be a compatability issue with some DVI and HDMI connections? Is it possible that I have something setup wrong? Could my cable be contributing to the problem (it was not a very expensive one)?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 137
The problem is your new JVC receiver.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 19
Try a Marantz reciever. The Marantz SR9600 and SR8500 are great units. They retail for $3,500 and $1,300. Check out www.marantz.com

Username: Laserman

After looking at the DVI and HDMI specs I agree, it should work but it doesn't, and it must be the receiver. Unfortunately for this application I can't justify spending over a grand, so I guess I will make do. It would be nice if company help lines actually knew something about their products, but I guess that is asking too much. By the way, as I was reading the specs it is clear that HDMI is designed to be compatible with DVI and it does not appear that HDMI always has better bit resolutions. Both 1.0 specs call for 8 bit words (there are three of these so this is also sometimes refered to as 24 bit color) to be encoded into 10 bit transition minimized format. The ninth bit describes the encoding (XOR or XNOR), the tenth bit is for DC balancing. I've seen claims that HDMI 1.3 can support higher resolutions but I can't find the spec on the web so I don't know for sure if this is true. Regardless if either your sender or receiver only supports 1.0 then you will only get 8 bit video anyway. Both would have to support the higer resolutions (and any intermediate equipment) if you want to take advantage of that feature.
Just thought I would pass that along.

Bronze Member
Username: Indianbill007

Bhilai, Chattisgarh India

Post Number: 12
Well I got really something good and cool in a single give away package . Online IP TV , that is satellite TV and online radio channels in a single software.

http://www.artvnetworks.com

Online TV Player lets you watch 2500+ free Internet TV and listen 1500+ free online radio stations on your PC. It allows watcher to watch directly into TV without having to experience the annoyances of a Web site (like slow-loading pages and pop-up ads). No additional equipment required, No Monthly Fees, No Extra Costs. Online TV Player support both Windows Media and Real Video. You can play most of stream formats in one program. It can set the screen window to any size that you want. It supports full-screen mode too.

Download yourself and enjoy.!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us